A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Any laptop users? - December

Posted: Jun 12, 2014

Hello.  I'm wondering if anyone uses a laptop for work and if so any suggestions on the best ones, value and performance.  I am starting a new job and was told a laptop would be fine.  I would only use it a small amount of time and generally use my desktop computer, but would like the option, without spending a fortune or having it breakdown.  Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

laptop user - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I use a laptop. It's nothing fancy, but it's more than adequate to get the job done. I got mine at Costco. They had a reasonable selection of laptops with decent specs and they were a little cheaper than other places I checked out.

I use laptop. Just make sure it has enough USB hubs, or you - might need a hub. I have external keyboard which S

[ In Reply To ..]
is much easier, IMO, to type on than the laptop keyboard. And a mouse which is much easier to use than a touch pad, IMO. You can get wireless mouse/keyboard combos, which will need a USB port or a hub. Also will need hub for foot pedal, and if needed, external speakers. Also my work laptops have always set on a pad with a fan, to keep down excessive heat, which is the main killer, besides viruses, of computers.

So, for me, a lot of gear goes into using a laptop, but nothing more than your PC. Get a good case that everything will fit in, and off you go.

Oops, above meant USB ports. Also some MTs use a bigger - external monitoer. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

question - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
In reference to "You can get wireless mouse/keyboard combos, which will need a USB port or a hub." Why would wireless anything need a port?

And, basically with all those extras...why bother with a laptop at all? The whole laptop concept is to be able to pick up and go. To each their own, but, holy cow, there are desktops these days that are just a screen and keyboard only.
You might want to - xx
[ In Reply To ..]
research how wireless devices actually work. You need a USB port to insert the receiver for the transmitter in the wireless keyboard or mouse. How do you think they communicates with the laptop? Magic?
yes I am computer illiterate and figured they communicated - the same way my laptop does with my cable.
[ In Reply To ..]
(x)
I do this 44 hours a week. Truthfully, if I am going anywhere - it is to get away from work. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
After 15 years of this, when I leave my office, I am done. And I would rather work in my office cause it is set up just how I want it.

I can see doing without the keyboard and mouse, but don't you have to have the foot pedal? I, of course, could work on just the laptop, but my speed would be cut by a lot. It is nice having the laptop as a back-up in case anything happens to the desktop.
I work longer hours and like to get out into different - surroundings. refreshes the job for me. anon
[ In Reply To ..]
everyone is different.
I tried workin on the deck but the birds, breeze, etc - I couldnt stay awake, lol. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Most Important Thing to Consider... - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Is the operating system. Very few use Windows 8, yet most new laptops are sold with Win 8. Find out what you will need and you may have to shop for a used laptop. As far as USB ports go, you can get adapters that plug into one USB port and give you 5+ other USB ports to use. These are less than $10. Also, your company will probably not want to pay their IT person to install the database and set up on two separate computers.

I use a laptop and external monitor, keyboard, and trackball so if I travel, I can take just the laptop with me and continue working.

Another great thing about laptops is if you suddenly lose power, it goes to battery backup so you don't lose work.

An adapter is also known as a hub. I have had 3 diff MTSo - happy to put platform on laptop and desktop. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Any MAC Users?
May 10, 2010

Anybody have a Mac?  Do you love it?  I've only read positive reviews by Mac owners. and the peoplle i know who are Mac owners really love them as well.  Any quirks or downsides to owning one/using one?  What are the upsides to owning a Mac?  Are they worth the money? What are the positives to owning a Mac?  Thanks for any insight. ...

EditScript Users
Oct 07, 2010

What are your average lines per hour for editing?  Acute care.  We are transitioning over and most dictations have not gone into editing yet. We are curious as to what your productivity is.   So far the drafts are amazingly good.  This is all new to us.  I have read through the archives but they are not very recent.  Thank you to anyone who answers. ...

Any BayScribe Users Out There?
Sep 04, 2011

I started with a company using BayScribe.  I have a rather unusual problem.  The BayScribe expander will not function in the document.  I can bring it up via Control F3 and can add entries, but they will not expand.  When my machine is entered remotely, that user IS able to expand, but within the same session, I still cannot expand.  I have uninstall, reinstalled, Norton off, IE setting fine.  Toggling on and off makes no difference.  I have been troubleshootin ...

Bayscribe Users
Jun 23, 2012

Having been away from Bayscribe for awhile, I cannot remember the keystroke(s), but can you tell me how, after you highlight a word or phrase, that you can change the case, ie, from lower, to upper, to mixed?  Thanks. ...

Question For DQS Users
Jul 20, 2012

Hi Everyone - I need some help from the DocQScribe users. I had a little trouble with my computer earlier today.  Got it up and running again, but now when I go into DQS, everything works except for Control+J (Jump) and Control+D (to go to demo screen).  Is this a problem in a setting for DQS?  Is it my computer?  My keyboard?  I also use Shorthand word expander and have checked all the settings in there they all look good. Anyone have any ideas?  I'm switch ...

Question For ASR Users
Sep 27, 2012

I'm curious.  What is your ASR editing style?  1) Just read and fix, without listening, but listen to certain parts if question. 2) Read against voice everytime and fix, then send. 3) Read against voice everytime and fix, then read against voice again, then send. 4) Read against voice, fix, then just read without a second listen. 5) Other. Explain. I'm tired of ASR, and just curious how others are doing it!   ...

ExpressScribe Users Please Help...sm
Nov 13, 2012

Could someone tell me when load and delete voice files into ExpressScribe, how the heck do I get it to save the original date and time stuff was recorded instead of changing it to the date and time I brought it into the program.  Frustrated.  Thanks all. ...

Any Benchmark Users?
May 19, 2013

I'm trying to get a new system set up on my new computer and was just curious about Benchmark.   Does anyone currently use it and, if so, do you find it a useful resource?  I hate to spend $200 on something that isn't actually helpful and a time-saver.  If you use it, can you share which features it offers that you find the most beneficial?  And, conversely, if it has any features you find not so helpful?  Do you consider it to have been a good investment? Th ...

Any EditScript 10 Users
Oct 23, 2014

Has anyone using EditScript 10 in the last few days noticed that it is acting very badly?  It is even making my keyboard act up.  It is not occuring with versions 9 or 11, only 10.  ...

Condolences To XP Users
Jan 12, 2015

I just have to send out some Monday wishes for all those with XP who woke up to a nice e-mail that they would have to acquire a new computer.  Considering it is barely after Christmas, and it just is one thing followed by another, I'm not sure how they expect you to do this on less pay, and I'm sure this created stress for a lot of people. And I just thought some warm wishes and prayers in your direction were warranted this morning.   :(   ...

Instant Text Users - Need Help Please
Jun 17, 2010

When I press L, I would like to get left but get "like" instead.  R gives me right immediately.  I tried to delete "like" but cannot.  Can you tell me if it is possible to make the L give me left?    Thank you - :) ...

Instant Text Users
Sep 28, 2010

I am looking for Instant Text users who may be able to get me headed in the right direction in regards to compilations.  I have been using Instant Text for quite a while now, only adding things on the fly, or using the enrich feature.  I do not understand the compilation feature it seems.  Whenever, I try to utilize this feature I come up with phrases that I really will never hear again, odd things within reports.  For example, the patient's dog's name - lol!&n ...

Question For EditScript Users
Sep 29, 2010

Does anyone know a way to get around the lock on copying or printing documents transcribed in EditScript? I do the copying process as a means of building up Dragon document analysis (once it's done the document is destroyed). Doing this would have a huge impact on my production (double or triple it), so I think you can see why I'm hoping this can be done. ...

Transcend/Bayscribe Users
Oct 30, 2010

Does anyone know what the latest edition of internet explorer bayscribe will support?  I currently have 6.0 installed but I keep getting messages on other web pages that my browser is too outdated to download/view these web pages.  Some pages take forever to open and others won't download at all. Is Bayscribe compatible with IE 7 or 8? ...

Medent Users-Old System, I Know, But It's A Job
Mar 03, 2011

It is pretty much a "cake" job BUT I would like to have some sort of manual. Does anyone know where I could get one?? It's a 3 person office, 1 of which, will be out for a while. That's where I come in. I am going in today to get familiar with it. But I would like to have reference material to look at. The woman I am filling in for coud not find it at the time of my interview yesterday. I'd appreciate any help, thanks. ...

SoftScript Shorthand Users
Dec 15, 2011

I have been doing this way too long to just accept that this takes so long to do...I have made many macros on shorthand and if they are more than a word or so long (many of my macros are many sentences/paragraphs long) it takes FOREVER for the program to type it all in.  I am already having to click WAY too much to just get into the stinking job that I am just hoping that someone has a way to fix this?!?!  PLEASE HELP!! ...

Kinesis Users!! Need Insert Key
Apr 08, 2012

I am trying to learn Shorthand and I need the insert key for a combination keystroke.  Is the only insert key the imbedded one?  My brain is already on overload.  If this is the case, can you tell me a quick way to program this to use with the alt key?  ...

Former Instant Text Users --
Oct 20, 2013

I now work where outside expanders are not an option and I'm beginning to think I can't even type without my Instant Text.     Anybody else out there been through this and is there any hope at the end of the tunnel?  I'm just finding it almost impossible to adapt, not to mention remember the shortcuts on a regular expander (AutoCorrect) - ugh! ...

Editscript - Any Current Users?
May 08, 2014

Anyone currently using editscript.  My company will be switching over.  Just wondering is it easy to use, do you get good line counts?  I'm nervous about the switch.  ...

Enterprise Users Query About
Nov 09, 2014

Fellow Enterprise platform users, have you ever lost the red box around the text and wondered why? Once it is gone you can no longer move about the report with ease, the facility to go to a particular place by Alt-R or double click no longer works. If anyone has figured out why this happens - i.e., have I inadvertently hit a combination of keystrokes that caused this, have I deleted some bit of ISR that was crucial to the red text box? Very confusing and when you are in a 10 minute long report ...

Nuance EScription Users?
Mar 24, 2015

I am wondering if there any Nuance employees that are on eScription accounts? What is your experience? Is it better/easier/faster than eBtxt? Are you able to make a decent line count? ...

Question For SR Users - How Much Keyboarding Is Required?
Jan 29, 2010

I hope this isn't a silly question. I'm going to ask our graduates this question too, but I want to get a wide range of answers and viewpoints on this. For those of you who are using SR, how much keyboarding is required? In other words, could a person who types 30-40 wpm use it productively? ...

Emdat/InScribe 4.97 Users - I Need Some Info...
Sep 19, 2010

I've been using an old version(4.3) with the OK of the company I transcribe for.  But I'm now having so many technical issues that I need to install the upgrade of 4.97.394. A previous upgrade required the use of the InScribe internal player.  I tried this, bought 2 different foot pedals, and neither one worked for me, as both interfered with my expansions. One pedal I tried was the Start-Stop.  If I was in the process of starting or stopping play at the same time I wa ...

MQ Computer Users - Are You Wary Of Espionage?
Oct 27, 2010

The new 6.1 upgrade would not jive with mine, so am receiving a new pc from MQ soon.  Just curious how many others have been unable to work because of this upgrade to 6.1. And for those who currently use a company pc, did it arrive with the software installed? Do you think your keystrokes are being monitored?      ...

Question For Users Of Express Scribe
Nov 18, 2010

I just downloaded and started using Express Scribe and am wondering if there's a way to set it so that it automatically backspaces a second or two when you lift up on the pedal?    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.  ...

Webmedx Shorthand Users--a Question.
Jan 24, 2011

I use Shorthand with the new Enterprise system.  SH seems really sluggish on ISR reports. Frequently it will not expand the shortcut and needs to be repeated, or I just give up and type it "longhand."  I have tried several Preference settings but nothing seems to help. Also deleted all unnecessary programs and do not run any other program with SH and EP, cleared all cookies, keep the computer maintained (defrag, cleanup). Before calling IT about this, thought I would ask here first. Th ...

Bayscribe Users..Is There A Way To Search ADT By Patient's First Name? Nm
Jul 19, 2011

nm ...

Experienced Users Of Emdat Incribe
Mar 04, 2012

The company I work for just switched to the Emdat/Inscribe platform 2 weeks ago and as such we are still adjusting :-)Things have worked fine so far, but when trying to download dictations after logging in, I keep getting the same message..."There was a problem downloading the file. Would you like to retry?" (Of course I have, but it never loads.) The dictation tries to load (I see it in the green bar at the bottom) but never makes it. Other MTs have had the same problem today but a System Rest ...

Ques For Users Of Emdat/InScribe.......please Sm
Oct 30, 2012

Hi.  My work computer is unstable, freezing up, not able to run programs, etc., so I'll be buying a new one this evening. I currently use Windows XP and MS Office and it seems like I was told that's what I needed for compatibility, but I don't know if I'm rembering that correctly as it's been years ago.  Anyway, I'm sure a new computer will not come with Windows XP - and I'm not sure exactly what is compatible with the Emdat program.  If you u ...

Escription Users: Is It Possible To Do 400 Lines An Hour
Apr 24, 2013

Have not done VR since I worked for the M. Is the above platform easy to use because you would have to be flying through reports at today's going pay rates. ...