A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Coding Credentials Made Easy! - MT/Coder

Posted: Jan 12, 2012

People who are new to coding get confused about credentials. There is some great information in the pages below if you read what has been written on here for months, and I definitely recommend doing that. You will learn more than you can imagine.  I thought I would try to put it in a short,  easy-to-understand format, specifically designed for MTs who are transitoning to coding.

CCS and CPC - Impressive! Marketable skills. This is comparable to a medical transcriptionist who can type 90+ and do acute care, all specialties plus anything you can toss at her. She is capable of doing work that an employer will be willing to pay her to do.

CCS Alone - Also Impressive! Marketable Skills. This is comparable to a medical transcriptionist who can type 80+ and do acute care, all specialties plus anything you can toss at her. She is capable of doing work that an employer will be willing to pay her to do.

CPC Alone - Very Nice. This is comparable to a medical transcriptionist who can type 55 wpm and do clinic work. There are some jobs available, but it isn't always easy to find them. Needs to add acute care and work on typing speed.

RHIT - This is comparable to a medical transcription graduate who has studied about both acute care and clinical transcription but hasn't really done much of it. Typing is about 45 wpm.

CCA - This is comparable to a graduate of a course in Introduction To Medical Transcription. She has studied both acute care and clinical transcription, but hasn't done as much of it as an RHIT. Employers know that she has gone to school, but doesn't have the skills to pass serious credentials tests. She needs close supervision that most employers just don't have time to give her. She types about 35 wpm.

Now that puts it into perspective! - MT Transitioner

[ In Reply To ..]
That's easy to understand and makes a lot of sense.

So with the CPC alone, you will basically be stuck with comparable to 'clinic' work - Question

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm wondering why anyone would ever want to limit their coding skills to a CPC. It doesn't make sense. You would have fewer jobs, if any.

You wouldn't even have an opportunity to advance because you wouldn't be getting any on-the-job experience in any other areas that would help you learn what you need for the CCS.

Right - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It mosty does limit you to outpatient or physician professional services coding. But, you have to conside a larger picture. That is not just CLINIC coding. Hospitals and especially medical centers do a lot of CPT coding. A CPT can do that, so if they have experience hey would be in a good position for a job like that.

we are talking about new grads. A new grad has to compensate for that somehow. Being employed by the facility is one way. Having impressive credentials that others sometimes cannot ever get is another.

The CCS has another advantage. A lot of AHIMA members continue to deny the validity of the AAPC and its credentials. If they do accept them, they are encouraged and expected to support their professional organization so strongly that they will choose candidates credentialed by it or, in the absence of that, who have been trained in its programs. The best way to make yourself competitive in that situation is to have a CCS. It will trump an uncredentialed HIT grad, a CCA (who has had the same coding training as the HIT grad and even an RHIA grad), and any of the AAPC credentials in the eyes of an AHIMA member. It will even put put you ahead of an RHIA if the hiring official is an RHIT (they feel threatened by the higher 4-year degree, which is intended to supervise RHITs) and possibly ahead of even an RHIT, CCS if the HO is an RHIT or a CCS alone.

It is common for CPCs to move into work situations where they can learn inpatient coding. Lots of hospital coders have the CPC. It is a great credential.

If the hiring official has a CPC, they will be fine with your CCS and will have warm feelings for you if you are a CPC, CCS. They will avoid an RHIT and strew garlic at the approach of an RHIA, regardless of what other credentials may go with it.

In terms of getting the most competitive advantage, though, the CCS is the best bet for an inexperienced coder. It shows high intelligence, good training, and excellent potential. It even says something about your work potential . . . it is HARD TO GET. You have to work to get it and for a new grad to have it says good things.

have to disagree - CPC audtior

[ In Reply To ..]
My first job after earning my CPC was as a consultant auditor/trainer making $23/hr with full benefits. I did not feel stuck. I gave training classes to physicians and ran a hot-line for clinics to call with their coding questions. Quite exciting, really, and I was glad not to be in a cubicle all day with the other coders.

Was that your first coding job ever? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It appears that you are still doing physician services coding work. So, in effect you ARE doing the equivalent of MT clinic dictation. It may be that you did not understand that an analogy was being made. The OP had not said that a CPC would be stuck doing clinic CODING or in a cubicle, but that it was like limiting an MT to clinic notes. Which it does tend to do.

We are also talking about MOST new grads, not the exception who happens to hit it lucky. There are very few jobs like yours, so telling students that they do not need the advantage of a CCS is not good. You said yourself that you were glad not to be in a cubicle with other coders. They are there because there are noother jobs for them.

congrats! you really twisted what I said! - have to disagree
[ In Reply To ..]
It was my first certified job in coding. I worked as a coder for many years *remotely* before obtaining my CPC. That is to say, I had been out of coding for 10 years before getting my CPC.

What I replied to was not the original poster's analogy. I replied to the post that said:
"I'm wondering why anyone would ever want to limit their coding skills to a CPC. It doesn't make sense. You would have fewer jobs, if any.

You wouldn't even have an opportunity to advance because you wouldn't be getting any on-the-job experience in any other areas that would help you learn what you need for the CCS."

I do not disagree that the job was limited to clinic work. I disagreed with the the protrait of being "stuck" with a CPC and having no where to grow. And so that you know, my being "stuck" in a cubicle referred to the coding department of a hospital, not a clinic.

You know, I'm not the one limiting other potential coders hopes and dreams here. Giving analogies and advised is different than what I hear you trying to say.

Also, I'd like you to show me by way of a quote that I said (here is the quote for your words) "telling students that they do not need the advantage of a CCS is not good." I had a singular approach in my post, which was that greater things are possible depending upon a person's skill sets, geographical location and market, and one's definition of what they want to make of themselves (and here is the important part) and what they want out of their certification even if it is only a lowly CPC.

You people seem to be the ones coming down on the CPC as a sole certification, which I have found for over a decade to be the tack of the organization doing the CCS certification. It is that approach with which I disagree.

not true really - CPC

[ In Reply To ..]
Depends on where you are. We have CPCs as inpatient coders. CPCs doing all aspects of coding. This is in the northeast. Wherever that one person who is posting is, the norm must be that CPCs are only physician coders. It is different everywhere. I have seen ads also that say "preferred." Some will hire you with the requirement that you get your credential, whatever they require, within one year of employment with them. Each state/area is different. See what your ads say in your area and go accordingly. Check out coding, see what you may want to do and go for it. After you are in it you can change, go a different way. It is not so black and white. Good luck!

My experience is South/SW and NE, and they wanted CCS Almost Entirely - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Comment - CPC, CCS

[ In Reply To ..]
We have CPCs working like that, too. I did it that way.

We are talking about what you need to get a GOOD job quickly as a new graduate with no coding experience. Sure, you can eventually work your way into anything if you are already in coding and are then in the right place at the right time.

Our advice is based on what works to make a new grad look appealing in any market, including those flooded with HIT grads and coding grads from the local college. You may be in an area where AAPC coders do not see much antagonism, but they do in areas with a strong HIM presence. Our advice is geared to giving new grads a chance in that kind of environment and also a competitive advantage over other coders in general. I want my advice to help them get selected instead of that CPC who wants to learn inpatient coding . . . my advisees will already have the credential.

Minimal credentials will do, but overcompensation has definite advantages.

I think this is very sound advice to seek both CCS and CCS - Well Said!
[ In Reply To ..]
It really makes sense to get started off on the right foot. The CCS is a must-have and the CPC may come in handy too. It's really smart to do things right the first time.

Maximizing your chances - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are a new graduate trying to look more appealing to an employer than other applicants, both credentials will be better than one, better than one of the entry-level credentials like the RHIA or CCA, and better than nothing at all. This is especially true if the competition has no or limited experience, and even if they have experience but have never gotten credentialed (that is worrisome - they cannot pass? Their credentials were revoked?).

A CPC can do ok, can get a job doing inpatient coding, and experience with time tends to blend out the differences between credentials in SOME cases.

The situation *is* a lot like that of an MT who does clinic dictation. There are acute care jobs that require acute care experience. Some training programs only teach clinic, while other longer and more expensive courses teach both. If you have had only clinic, you tend to start off on it and keep doing it. You are not going to get a job with an employer who wants to see acute experience. This is an almost insurmountable problem for MTs, who may have had 20 years of experience yet be unable to get an acute care job. On the other hand, a new graduate of a school known to produce excellent acute care MTs can walk right into a high-level acute care job.

In coding, a CPC usually does outpatient coding. They may have attended a program that taught only outpatient coding. They get a job doing outpatient coding and can stay doing outpatient coding. They CAN learn ASU and hospital outpatient coding. They CAN learn inpatient coding. They can face the same thing clinic MTs face when trying to find a job. Yes, it is possible that an employer will offer to train, but experience has a lot to do with this.

Can an outpatient coder learn inpatient with a course? Yes, there are bootcamps that run about 3K when you include airfare, hotel, and meals, less if you do them online. Can they learn on the job? Yes, and employers may have no problem with this depending on the job market and the impressiveness of the coder.

The thing is that you want to maximize your options and chances. The more jobs you can do, the more jobs are available to you. Getting a credential that has a fearsome reputation can help you. Covering the bases with both professional organizations can help you.

When I interview coders, I look for the CCS - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The first thing I look for is the CCS. If it isn't there, it doesn't matter what else is on the resume.

Regarding maximizing your chances, I agree completely.
what is your status? - in the coding world
[ In Reply To ..]
That would be helpful. We like more details in information posted rather than any old statement thrown on here that could be by anyone. Thanks.

I don't get this, really -- apples and oranges - sm - Coder-to-be

[ In Reply To ..]
In my area, we have many opportunities for CPC jobs. The VA hospital only looks for that credential at this time. A huge well-known trauma hospital in my area employs lots of CPCs in their different outpatient areas and it is a very well-paying job.

I think it depends on what you want to do. If you want to do inpatient work, by all means, get the CCS. I wish people would stop making the CPC sound like only crap jobs are available to them.

I agree there are jobs for coders with just a CPC but better jobs if you also have a CCS - For goodness sakes why settle?

[ In Reply To ..]
Why in the world would anyone want to settle when they can do better?

Yes, I have seen some jobs for coders who only have a CPC. I wouldn't want to limit myself that way, but there are jobs. If you are planning a career, why wouldn't you want the very best jobs with the very best opportunities for advancement. I just think that anything worth doing is worth doing well. From what I've seen, those who have a CCS and even better, a CCS and a CPC, are doing very well. I'm all for the CPC, but why would you limit yourself? It just doesn't make sense.
$$$$$$$$$$$$ - that's why. - Coder-to-be
[ In Reply To ..]
Around here, if they have the ability and time, they TRAIN YOU ON THE JOB and they never require you to get ANY credential. Many of our local hospital R.N.s got trained to be coders when for one reason or another, they couldn't be in nursing anymore.

The majority of the coders in MY town, are not credentialed in CPC or CCS. True - fact.

If they had the time, they would train me, having only the CPC, to do inpatient. However, with ICD-10 coming, they just don't have the staff to do so. To say they are panicked and scrambling would be an understatement. Yes, they have done this with others in the past, even those with NO credentials. Yes, that is in MY AREA. Yes, I know that is a fact because I know the coding director.

I believe totally in going all the way with credentials and being the best. However, it may not be feasible, either timewise or money-wise, for people to have both. Or again, some simply may not want both. May outpatient interests some people and not inpatient. It takes all kinds.

What VA Hospital is that? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The VAH near you only looks for CPCs?

It does not appear that you work for them, so what ae you basing this statement on?

I think we asked you this once before but you never answered.

If I emailed the whole lot of VA HIMS chiefs, I doubt most sincerely that a single one would tell me that they would not hire a CCS.

I think you are basing your statement on something you heard or which you have seen. It may be that they are looking for an outpatient coder and simply refer to that as a CPC.

If you look at all the coding announcements on www.usajobs.com, you should see that they use standardized language. That language does not prefer either credential.

If there is a specific announcement you are talking about, please tell us the number so we can see it. Or, please type the text of it into your post.

Wait a minute! Are you the same coder-to-be who... - CCS, CPC

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you the same coder-to-be who has posted time and again about your poor job prospects?? As in you finished a program and now cannot find work?

If so . . . you are not a very good judge of the job market.

If you are some other coding student or prospective student, you still are no judge of the job market.

You are not understanding what we have been saying. We never said there were no good jobs for CPCs. We know lots of CPCs who have just fine jobs. We are just recommending that IF you want to maximize your chances of getting a job fast right out of school, that you get both the CPC and the CCS.

I would not want to make my career decisions on what I may or may not understand about the VA, or about a trauma center that might or might not be hiring when I plan to look for a job. I would rather get advice from people familiar with a broad market.
I'm really tired of getting jumped on - sm - Coder-to-be
[ In Reply To ..]
I am telling you what it is like where I live, a small town. ONE hospital in our town. They have less than 10% of their people who have ANY credential whatsoever. They trained them on the job.

The trauma center has BOTH CPC and CCS. Depends which you want to do. You don't need both, for any reason. Can I maximize my potential by getting both - NO. Around here, they want one or the other. No job asks for both. Again, that is in MY AREA.

The VA hospital (here and a one about an hour away) asks only for the CPC at this time. Their CPC coders are trained to code inpatient at this time. They will want the CCS soon.

How do I know this? I have very good contacts who tell me. It is not heresay. I know LOTS of coders; I didn't go into this blindly.

What is wrong with just wanting one credential or the other? Why does everyone who has both act "better" than everyone else and mostly putting the CPC down??

To tell you the truth, I loved the CPC classes, enjoyed getting my credential but I honestly don't care if I don't find a job coding. I enjoyed it but am not living or dying by the fact I don't have a job.

I am telling MY experience, with MY area of the world, hoping to help others. I am not here to say anything is better than anything else. A lot of people on this board are coders who have been on the job a while - great. We enjoy your perspective. I am just someone newly credentialed trying to give another point of view, that's all. It may not be YOUR view, but it is a fact of what is happening with me, right now.

For some people, getting the CCS OR the CPC is fine and it may not be feasible, especially for keeping up all the credential credits, to have both.

So maybe having both might help some, it may not be for everyone. That's ALL I'm saying.
Why does everyone who has both act "better" than everyone else - Because it is better
[ In Reply To ..]
Because it is better.

I also am familiar with a small town hospital coding department. They are desperate for a CCS, but can't find any. I don't think you're going to find many cases when a CCS is unable to do the job. I also like the idea of having both credentials, or maybe more. This is one career field where credentials count.
Jumping on your advice or mistaken views, not you - Roo
[ In Reply To ..]
I think people were trying to help you. You complain that you cannot get a job. We explain how to do it. You then have a reason for not doing every one of those things. You counter every suggestion.

You took the wrong course and do not want to take another, nor can you see how to study on your own. Or else it is $$$$$$$. You say you do not need a CCS because employers train you. Then you say they have no time to train you because of ICD-10, which is still 2 years away. It seems to be one thing after another.

No amount of reasoning will do because you have such a negative outlook. We cannot change your outlook. We tried without success. Now we are just correcting what you say so that others do not mistake it for good advice.

Should you need a course or employer training for the CCS? No. You just need a book.

Is it good reasoning to avoid the CCS because of the credential upkeep? No. The same credentials can easily appy to both.

What IS the problem? The expectation that others are necessary or responsible for your success. The expectation that your employer should train you. The belief that you spent as much as you ought to already. The belief that you got one credential and that should be good enough. The unwillingness to do more even on your own at no cost. The inability to find a way to do it at no cost. The continued belief in misconceptions even after they have been corrected. The continued insistence on advising others to follow your path of nonsuccess.

You chose your path according to your habitual life choices. Same problem with your MT choices that you now repeat with coding. We cannot change that. We can only point it out to you.

It is not your training that is the problem. It is your attitude. All the things I listed above tell others that your attitude toward coing is not professional. It is not professional enough for them to hire you. That is what your HIM director is telling you when she says they do not have time to train you. They do not have time to train YOU because they do not see you doing enough work on your own to tell them that you are a good hiring choice.

They see a "good enough" attitude and know it will appear in your work.

Coders are professionals. They do not avoid credentials and argue that they are not necessary. Employers know what OIG thinks about the necessity of using coders who are credentialed in the work they do. Employers may be polite to you, but they are not going to hire you if you cannot show them the credentials and a professional work ethic to match. You have to show them that you understand their needs and your role in meeting those needs.

If you expect to be hired in coding with no work experience, getting both credentials is the way to do it.
Wow, have you read me wrong - sm - Coder-to-be
[ In Reply To ..]
Nowhere did I give "advice" to anyone. Again, I told MY experiences.

Nowhere did I say the CPC is the greatest thing or that I wouldn't get the CCS. I said there are jobs for BOTH in my area available, just not at this time.

Nowhere did I say I expected someone to train me. I said they do that around here but when I asked (I was not interviewed for any position or wanted a position within this particular hospital) I was told they used to train people but don't have that luxury of time anymore.

Nowhere did I act all upset or feel entitled to a job. Again, I did this for ME and if I find a job great, if not, fine.

I never came across with a bad attitude ever. You don't know me. Message boards really aren't a good place to judge someone, you know?

It's wonderful you have a job you love, with the credentials you covet. I hope it is a continuing wonderful thing for you. I am quite happy in my life, thank you, with or without a coding job, with or without a CCS. I am a glass half full kind of gal actually.

Thank you for chasing me away from this board. I won't be back.
I got it - You
[ In Reply To ..]
Were just describing what it was like in your area. I got the same response with the professional/hospital thing. Someone is not able to believe that it may be different in different areas. It seems it is a one-way-only view. But this board is better if there is more than one view and people share what it is like in different areas. The hammer comes down on swaying from the one way it is wherever they are. We all need to be able to share. If the hammer does not believe, it does not really matter. We are just giving the coders-to-be a bigger view.
But when you say that fewer credentials is better, someone will correct you - Just saying
[ In Reply To ..]
The problem comes when someone says something off the wall, because people will believe it. I hope people continue to be corrected when they make false claims.
I agree! - I like it when
[ In Reply To ..]
Wrong information is corrected right away. But when people share how it is in their area, that is just sharing information so people can see what is out there. I know two credentials is pretty good insurance, but some people may not be able to swing it. If some people are overwhelmed at first, it might be good to see different views. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. No one said having one credential is better!
Your message also makes sense - Thanks for sharing your viewpoint
[ In Reply To ..]
I can see that could happen if someone has never had the education or exposure necessary to get the CCS. They may have lucked into a CCS job and have been happy there ever since. Maybe they don't have the opportunity to get more education. That makes sense.

I ran into someone yesterday who said they got their CPC after taking a 5-day coding course. Now that is just silly. If that is happening, I don't know what to think. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

I think you may be misinterpreting what you are seeing for VA hospital jobs - On Being The Best Coder You Can Be

[ In Reply To ..]
I saw references to the ability to do outpatient coding, but nothing restricting the credentials in any way. However, I know a little about requirements for coders in VA hospitals even though I've never worked for them. They do hire coders with various credentials, and the more credentials you have, the better your ranking and your income. Any motivated coder is going to want to grow in their job. I'm not sure why anyone would want to be a coder at all if they didn't want to be the best!
True, the VA strongly encourages credentials - VA Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I think she is misinterpreting what she is seeing about VA jobs, too. I agree that they encourage credentials.

One thing to point out is that VA hospitals are part of a larger organization--hey do not operate in isolation with each one doing their own thing. If you are hearing that one only wants CPC or outpatient coders and that they train internally, that may be how it appears to a coder there or to a friend of coder there, or they may be telling you only the part of the story that they think pwetains to you, or you may be misunderstanding what they are telling you.

It can be very difficult to find CCS-credentialed coders. A lot of places have to train their own and look for any credential as evidence that the coder IS a coder and is trainable. That does not mean they do not prefer a CCS. The CCS tells them you already learned inpatient coding correctly and to enough of a degree that you were able to succeed on a very difficult test. Coders who have a CCS have a competitive advantage, especially in an AHIMA-dominated workplace.

The poster who said the more credentials you have the better is right. The VA considers coders to be medical professionals and classifies them as Title 38 Hybrid employees. They have professional standards boards at the regional and national level who approve things like hiring and advancement. When a facility needs a coder, they do not write an ad based on someone's opinion. and then stick it in the local paper. They have national ones that lay out the expectations and requirements that are prescribed by federal regulations for that job class. They post them on a national website.

A coder's initial grade depends upon experience, education, and credentials. They work up from there. It usually goes from GS-6 to 8 for actual coders, with advancement possible at one grade per year. To reach 8, they have to be able to code all types of cases, meaning in and out. Do you see what having both CPC and CCS means for that? There is also the potential for advancement into a classification going from 9 to 11 and higher. Google a federal pay scale for the current year to see what they get paid.

There is strong encouragement to get credentials. The PSBs will grant a step increase for them. Look at that pay scale again to see what that amounts to per year and you will see why VA coders fill up so many seats in exams.

Excellent Information Alert - - Thanks!
[ In Reply To ..]
The post above gives excellent information, actual facts. I wish I had written it. This is one of the reasons many of us enjoy coming here. Thanks!

I have to disagree with the RHIT part you wrote about - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Every coding job I have applied for requires you to have either a CCS or RHIT (for inpatient coding). Also, the first coding jobs I applied for when I was a newbie (outpatient) required you to have either a CPC or RHIT. I think the RHIT is as good as the CCS, at least in my area. I got hired as a newbie with an RHIT and with experience with just an RHIT. I've never had a CPC or CCS and I've always found work.

Thanks for writing with a different viewpoint - MT/Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm basing what I wrote about RHITs on the experiences of several friends who advise against the RHIT because their own RHIT training didn't include much practical coding experience.

It sounds like your own RHIT training did better than theirs.

I don't think it's equal to the CCS as a rule, because the CCS is always the same. It demonstrates a certain level of expertise. The RHIT varies. One size definitely doesn't fit all. I'm glad to hear that your experience was good though.

Also - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am looking to advance in my career to management, which is why RHIT was important to me. I am going to get my bachelor's degree and get my RHIA. I eventually want to be an HIM director or manager. So, my path may be different than others, which is why I prefer the RHIT.

taking CPC-H now - cjjmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you aware of the CPC-H credential? Outpatient hospital and ambulatory facility. I plan to try for CCS later but thought CPC-H would help......

Yes, we are aware of it - I have it

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, we are aware of it. I have it and the CCS-P. It is a nice credential. You may have good luck with it.

I do not know anyone who got that first straight out of school so I cannot say if it is a good first choice or not. It covers some of the same material on the CCS, so the exposure to that might be useful.

Most students have studied CPC material, or general CPT coding, rather than the specific application of it that you see on the H. We seem to focus on what new coders would find accessible and most useful in getting a job. That works out to be the CPC and, if you went to a school that covers enough, the CCS. It gives them a credential from both organizations and covers all the coding bases and which employers and the clerks in HR have heard of.

Makes me feel hopeful!!! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I am working at the hospital as an MT and taking the Andrews coding course. Although the hospital only hires experienced inpatient coders... I am hoping to land a job in their outpatient department as a coder when I finish school. I am hoping that if I can pass the CCS exam, in addition to my MT experience and my glowing references at the hospital, that maybe they will consider me for a coding position without the experience. It's a long shot.... but it is my goal and I will give it everything I've got!

Putting the value of the CCS credential in these terms has really boosted my confidence. Thanks for such a great post!

Similar Messages:

Coding Credentials/Certification
Apr 30, 2015

Good evening coders :)  I have been reviewing many posts and notice a trend of sorts.  Many posters feel that the AHIMA recognized RHIT credential is not sufficient to gain employment as a coder or that attending a 2 year AAS HIM program is not enough education to the ability to be a sucessful coder.  I was curious about geographic location playing a role in these assumptions?   As an employee in an HIM department, my director possesses the RHIT credential as well as majorit ...

Doctor Going From Tapes To Wave Files--what Software Is Easy To Install, Easy To Use And Inexpensive
Apr 29, 2010

Do I have to buy the dictation equipment or the doctor?  Can I use the software with moer than one client?  We are moving and this is key to keeping my job.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks so much in advance for all help! ...

Has Anyone Made The Successful Transition To Coding/billing
Sep 07, 2013

I'm thinking about getting certified in this area. Mostly considering coding as that has the smallest contact with patients and I get to work independently. I had some schooling about 20 years ago for coding, have been a transcriptionist 16 years, plus QA specialist and editor. I just want short-term schooling. I have hesitated going into this field because I am afraid it will go overseas, and that no one will give new hires a chance. I know one gal who went to school for it and gave ...

I Made A Total Of $19,000 For 2011. Would Anyone Mind Sharing What They Made For The Year. I Am Ju
Jan 27, 2012

hopeful ...

How Many Of You Have Both CCS And CPC Credentials?
Apr 22, 2011

Just wondering how many of you have both CCS and CPC credentials. How many years did you work before you took those tests? Did the credentials help you get a job or did you get the job first? ...

Credentials
Oct 20, 2011

Why in the world would any MT seek to further their credentials, i.e., CMT, etc., when it doesn't make one whit of difference in how you are paid?  So many posts here regarding highly qualified, CMT's, etc., that can't find a job for 8cpl?  This Michael Jackson trial may end up in being good for us, in that "medical records" are very necessary and need to be accurate.  Maybe this is the break that we need?  How about an "Occupy Doctors" platform--you pay us wha ...

CMT Credentials
Apr 10, 2012

Why the hoopla about providing classes for CMT CE credits when Nuance does not recognize the CMT status???? I am a CMT, and it doesn't seem to matter one hill of beans these days whether you are or not (pay wise, I mean.) ...

Maintaining Credentials
May 12, 2010

I'm pretty sure AHIMA requires a certain number of continuing education hours to maintain a credential and assume AAPC does also but I'm wondering if you have multiple coding credentials, do you have to do separate CE hours for each one or can use the same hours for more than one credential.  Does anyone know? ...

Looks Like Mandatory CMT Credentials Soon.
Aug 02, 2010

Just like the post below stated, House of Delgates known as (HOD) from AHDI is wanting everyone to ensure patient safety and the integrity of patient records, all persons involved in creating, editing, organizing, or transmitting protected health information should be formally trained and hold credentials relevant to those duties.  To that end, AHDI should move forward with the support of its leadership in actively advocating for mandatory credentialing by whatever means that can be accompl ...

Credentials Out Of School
Dec 22, 2011

Does anyone know which school will better prepare one to get CCS or CPC credentials straight out of school between Andrews and Career Step? I know from looking at jobs, that if you don't have one of these after your name you will have almost zilch luck in finding a job. Any information would be appreciated! ...

Heads Up. Everybody's Credentials Need To Be Verified. Saw On
Dec 29, 2009

the news that a new company has sprung up fabricating resumes to give those folks with no experience some experience and education.  All those claiming to be CMTs need to be checked.  Word has it, this too is going on along with some name changing to confuse the issue. ...

Echo Tech Credentials
Jun 14, 2010

gives the name of the echocardiogram tech and then s/l BSRCS or possibly VSRCS Sounds like it would be his credentials. ...

ADHI Vot For Mandatory Credentials
Aug 15, 2010

Did they vote to give themselves all a raise too?  They can have thier little votes amongst themselves until the cows come home.  It's never going to happen!  Not as long as so much work is allowed to be outsourced over seas.  It would be different if they were actually advocates for MTs and the industry as a whole, instead of promoting their own agenda.  Then, maybe they would actually be respected by the MTs themselves.  We need hea ...

What Other Jobs Can Those With RHIT Credentials Do
Apr 26, 2012

Just curious what else RHIT's can do besides coding? ...

Newbies And Students - About AHDI Credentials ...
Jan 06, 2010

A certificate of completion (of your course or education program) does not make you a CMT. The AHDI (Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity) offers 2 different credentials:  RMT (for those with less experience) and CMT.   Both credentials require passing a challenge exam and continuing education credits to maintain (every 3 years).  If you think that it doesn't matter whether you obtain an RMT or CMT credential through the AHDI, just think of it this way:&n ...

Salary Increase Expectations After Getting CPC, CCS Credentials
Feb 03, 2013

I just landed an entry-level position as a hospital outpatient coder!  Yay!  It is a foot in the door towards my new career.  After I sit for and get my credentials (I have 0 experience in this field), I plan on giving my passing credentials to my HIM director and to HR.  Is it appropriate to ask HR when I do my hiring paperwork/orientation what salary increases are given for credentials and per credential?  I am not really sure that is the right time or place to discuss ...

Probably An Easy One, I'm New At This.
Jun 18, 2010

FINDINGS PA and lateral views. Comparison exam 4/30/07. The lungs appear clear. Cardiomediastinal silhouette is within normal limits. IMPRESSION Unremarkable chest. <???> changes from 4/30/07 exam.   I was thinking it sounded like "No speculative changes" but it's very blurred and sort of sounds like "noticed the beginning of changes" but that doesn't make much sense. I just can NOT make out what the dictator is saying! A more experienced MT will probabl ...

Here's How Easy It Is
Mar 14, 2012

Make a sign - use cardboard, paint, real easy.  It will say  "OCCUPY M*MODAL" or "OCCUPY ACCENTUS" (I just pull names out of a hat).  Then list one or two of the most egregious abuses on the sign.  Extra points for humor or good zingers. Go stand somewhere in public.  Maybe connect up with Occupiers in your area.  Just stand there with your sign.  Have a friend take a pic,and post it online.  Maybe stand outside a local hospital or other health care clini ...

Bayscribe Is Easy To Use?
Feb 17, 2011

I just found out that the company I work for is going to start using Bayscribe next week. I never heard of it untill now.  I currently use Word with my own word expander. Does any one know if it is productive and easy to use? ...

Easy Bike?
Feb 15, 2012

The patient is recovering from a broken hip.  She is supposed to use her Easy Bike?  Is that correct spelling or is it something else?  Thanks. ...

What Is An Easy Way To Tell The Difference Between These Two?
Mar 23, 2012

Procyte and Prosight I know that Prosight is a multivitamin.  I found both on WebMD's drugs and meds A-Z.  There was no information on Procyte.  It was just listed as Procyte Top.  I was not aware that there was a Procyte until earlier today.  The doctor dictated "And be careful you use the correct one, but I am unsure of the spelling."  That confused me a bit, so I did some research and the only place that I found any mention of Procyte was on WebMD.  An ...

Is Webmedex Platform Easy To Use?
Jan 16, 2010

Do you have to go to a lot of screens to enter demographic data?  Is there a lot of downtime?  Is the VR program fairly decent or are they putting every dictator on it and then the MLS has to straighten it out.     ...

How To Look Like An Idiot In 3 Easy Steps
Feb 21, 2010

I made my resume approximately 7 years ago.  Since that time, when searching for new employment opportunities, I have added recent experience, PC upgrades, new software, new training, etc, to my resume and sent it out updated with what currently applies.  In the past 10 days, I have sent my resume to approximately 50 companies in my newest search for work.  In the past 7 years, I have sent my resume to probably 200 potential employers. Today, for the first time, I received a re ...

Ortho - Easy To Learn?
Mar 17, 2010

Hello!  I have been contacted to do some ortho backup which I have never done.  Just wondering how difficult this is to learn.  They tell me all docs are pretty good dictators.  TIA. ...

It's Pretty Easy To See One Of The Problems With
Jul 13, 2010

...and probably those of some other companies as well.  Transcend supervisors are expected to oversee teams of up to 35 MTs, keep the account in TAT, mentor their people to improve their performance, ride herd on "mavericks", monitor the account status and do all of the other typical supervisory chores.... ....while transcribing 75 to 80% of the time.  ....in exchange for which they are paid a stipend of $700 a month. Now, there is so much wrong with this picture that I won't b ...

Easy Workup Reading?
Jun 24, 2011

"Chest:  Clear to auscultation bilaterally with s/l an easy workup reading.  He had equal breath sounds heard throughout." I don't know what "easy workup reading" actually is. ...

There Is No Easy Way In Word To Cap After Colon Is There?
Dec 05, 2014

a word expander like Speed Type would do that?  And can you use Speed Type along with MS Word?  And transfer over all your AutoCorrect entries easily?  I emailed the company but haven't heard from them.  : ( ...

Easy Assemble 24 Dot Matrix Printer
Jan 20, 2011

Does anyone know if there is an easy to assemble 24 dot matrix printer? ...

Easy High-Paying Jobs
Mar 10, 2012

Not saying anyone would ever possibly want to get OUT of MT, but if there should be some lunatics on the board who are thinking this way, well...     ...

Escription - Is This An Easy Program To Learn?
Aug 20, 2013

Is this an easy program to learn? I have applied for a few posiions and was wondering about it. ...