A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Coding Credentials/Certification - student

Posted: Apr 30, 2015

Good evening coders :)

I have been reviewing many posts and notice a trend of sorts.  Many posters feel that the AHIMA recognized RHIT credential is not sufficient to gain employment as a coder or that attending a 2 year AAS HIM program is not enough education to the ability to be a sucessful coder.  I was curious about geographic location playing a role in these assumptions?   As an employee in an HIM department, my director possesses the RHIT credential as well as majority of our coding staff.   My interest has been focused on this board of late as I am near completion of my AHIMA credentialed 2 year HIM program and will sit for the RHIT and/or CCS.  Not sure which one first since there is a signifigant fee associated with certification exams.  I tend to lean toward the RHIT credential as I feel, in my opinion, this is a more all-encompassing certification that opens doors in many areas of HIM, not just coding.   I have seen Andrews mentioned on multiple occasions and their program sounds wonderful.   I guess,  I was just wondering if anyone felt like sharing their education experience and subsequent credentialing story.  Thank you!  Oh, by the way my location is about 30 minutes from Pittsburgh.   

What I have seen in my career is the CCS is better for an actual coding job - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
According to the AHIMA salary study, RHITs don't make as much as a CCS and many don't have enough coding for an actual coding job that prefers a CCS.

If you want an actual coding job that makes good money, the CCS is the way to go, hands down from what I've seen. The income starts out good and goes up from there. It doesn't take years to get started if you get good training.

If you want to be a supervisor or manager, that will take an RHIA for a really good job, but the RHIT is a start on that. You will have more years of training. That means you will be shelling out more money and spending more years working toward your RHIA while someone with a CCS will be making money all that time.

A person studying for, passing, and getting a job with a CCS won't be eligible for some of the management jobs. If you want to be in management, that's an issue to consider. The person getting the CCS will make money years faster, so if making money is an important factor, the CCS comes out much better than the RHIT, and does well compared to the RHIA too unless that RHIA management job kicks in with a big salary at some point.

My thoughts - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It depends a lot on where you are. If you have a nearby RHIT program that produces good coders, fine. Not all do. We sure don't.

It also depends on the mindset of management. It is well-known that managers hire people like themselves. Your RHIT manager is going to prefer RHITs. She will also want to support the local college. Because she is the product of that system, she will think that the graduates are fine. She will accept their level of preparation.

Do you have any RHIAs? If not, I doubt if it is because none ever applied. Many RHITs will not hire RHIAs (too threatening) and many RHIAs will not take a job working for someone with lower credentials and less education. Other facilities headed by RHIAs may hire only people like themselves, especially if there are RHIA grads nearby.

My recommendation for you is to get the RHIT as soon as you are eligible during your last semester. If you get a job, then get the CCS quickly. You really cannot afford not to, because you never know when you will want to work for an HIM staffing company or get a job where someone prefers multiple credentials.

I urge you not to get in the rut of thinking that that one hospital is representative of the entire field. Look around at people who work for other companies. Notice how many have multiple credentials.

I am trying to steer you away from one-credential-is-enough thinking. Maybe it is for some, but the trend is toward more. More credentials is associated with more money.

The RHIT is a general credential. It does not communicate that you can code at more than a basic level. Sure, your HIM director might think you are fine, but try applying for a job in another state. You need a coding credential to communicate that you can CODE. The CCS is the pinnacle of coding credentials. Failing to get it actually sends the worrisome message that you couldn't pass it.

Maybe where you work no one has AAPC credentials, but they open doors to a whole world of consulting and auditing jobs that are not hospital-based and which pay really well.

What you get depends on what you want to do. Do not limit yourself. You are too smart for that. Spend the money you need to spend on credentials. You will get that money back.

You should go on to a 4-year degree as soon as you can, too. There is a world of difference having the RHIA, no matter what people say to the contrary.

Thank you - student

[ In Reply To ..]
for the replies. They are appreciated. I do truly believe that our geographic location is the reason why not many RHIAs are around. We have two community colleges that offer AAS in HIM that are very well recognized for producing RHIT/CCS certified students. We get many RHIT applicants but not so many CCS certifications. I agree about the CCS being the pinnacle of the coding world, but in my opinion a student graduating from these local colleges can code as well as a CCS due to the level of coding that is taught. As far as the AAPC, I do not see many of those at all. It seems as though AHIMA rules our area. I am further educating myself on the benefits of AAPC credentials as I feel appropriate credentials are the ticket to high-dollar jobs.

You are correct. The RHIT credential is not very helpful - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The CCS is the most marketable coding credential as far as getting a coding job. Andrews would be the place to go to get that in about a year. If you want to spend 4 years and go on to an RHIA because you want to go into management, that will work too.

In other words, the 2 that you do not want are CCA and RHIT, because employers will have to teach you how to code. Those programs fall way short in that area.

Similar Messages:

Coding Credentials Made Easy!
Jan 12, 2012

People who are new to coding get confused about credentials. There is some great information in the pages below if you read what has been written on here for months, and I definitely recommend doing that. You will learn more than you can imagine.  I thought I would try to put it in a short,  easy-to-understand format, specifically designed for MTs who are transitoning to coding. CCS and CPC - Impressive! Marketable skills. This is comparable to a medical transcriptionist who can type ...

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...

Coding Certification
Mar 24, 2014

Now that it has become evident that M*Modal is willing to utilize uncertified coders, do you suppose other employers will follow suit in not requiring their coders to hold certifiications?  Will this become a trend?  Why or why not? ...

Coding School And Certification
May 04, 2012

I am presently training in a new position at a physician's office.  I will be doing coding and billing.  I have coded in the past but I would like to go to school and become certified.  Can anyone please direct me in a good program rather on line or in the middle Tennessee area?  I have been an MT since 1986 and sadly this is a dying art.  Thank you. ...

CPC Certification -- Outpatient Coding Only??
Mar 26, 2013

With every intent of taking some classes in the fall to be able to sit for the CPC exam, I just read a post from another coder that the CPC only qualifies you to code for doctor's offices.  I currently work in a hospital, with the idea to try to transition to a coding position.  Will this just be a big waste for me?  What about the CPC-H?    ...

Medical Coding - Wanted To Get CCS Certification?
Sep 16, 2012

I have  been a medical transcriptionist for just over 10 years but I am now looking into coding.  I was hoping for some info on this.  How easy is it to get a job working from home?  Is it hard to get a job straight out of school? What  would be the best school if I wanted to get CCS certification?  I have heard that Andrews School was a good one but would love input from everyone.  Thanks! ...

RHIT DEGREE VS CODING CERTIFICATION
Feb 13, 2013

In researching an HIT degree, I have mostly come across job descriptions that include coding.  I am currently a medical transcriptionist and jobs are now being shipped off shore.  Are coding jobs being shipped off shore as well?  And, if so, what would the benefit be of a degree in Health Information Techology?  What jobs are available other than coding and medical records? ...

Coding Jobs That Hire You Without Certification? Sm
Jun 08, 2015

I wanna switch to coding from transcription after 14 years. I do have an Associate degree in health information technology and know coding, DRGs, inpatient and outpatient, SNOMED and CPT codes, ICD9 and some computerized systems. I'd love to continue working at home. Right now I am an MT but wouled like to do something else. Us transcriptionists fear our supervisors calls, letters...we avoid email sometimes for fear of the dreadfull termination letters. Ready for bed now.  I need to wo ...

When Will Coding Certification Tests Implement ICD-10 Testing?
Jan 06, 2015

Has there been an "official" word on when certification tests (CCA, CCS, CPC) will begin using ICD-10. AHIMA site indicates "once ICD-10 is implemented," which I assume would be October, but I swear I've seen posts that people have taken the tests using ICD-10 recently...?   Thank you! ...

How Many Of You Have Both CCS And CPC Credentials?
Apr 22, 2011

Just wondering how many of you have both CCS and CPC credentials. How many years did you work before you took those tests? Did the credentials help you get a job or did you get the job first? ...

Credentials
Oct 20, 2011

Why in the world would any MT seek to further their credentials, i.e., CMT, etc., when it doesn't make one whit of difference in how you are paid?  So many posts here regarding highly qualified, CMT's, etc., that can't find a job for 8cpl?  This Michael Jackson trial may end up in being good for us, in that "medical records" are very necessary and need to be accurate.  Maybe this is the break that we need?  How about an "Occupy Doctors" platform--you pay us wha ...

CMT Credentials
Apr 10, 2012

Why the hoopla about providing classes for CMT CE credits when Nuance does not recognize the CMT status???? I am a CMT, and it doesn't seem to matter one hill of beans these days whether you are or not (pay wise, I mean.) ...

Maintaining Credentials
May 12, 2010

I'm pretty sure AHIMA requires a certain number of continuing education hours to maintain a credential and assume AAPC does also but I'm wondering if you have multiple coding credentials, do you have to do separate CE hours for each one or can use the same hours for more than one credential.  Does anyone know? ...

Looks Like Mandatory CMT Credentials Soon.
Aug 02, 2010

Just like the post below stated, House of Delgates known as (HOD) from AHDI is wanting everyone to ensure patient safety and the integrity of patient records, all persons involved in creating, editing, organizing, or transmitting protected health information should be formally trained and hold credentials relevant to those duties.  To that end, AHDI should move forward with the support of its leadership in actively advocating for mandatory credentialing by whatever means that can be accompl ...

Credentials Out Of School
Dec 22, 2011

Does anyone know which school will better prepare one to get CCS or CPC credentials straight out of school between Andrews and Career Step? I know from looking at jobs, that if you don't have one of these after your name you will have almost zilch luck in finding a job. Any information would be appreciated! ...

Heads Up. Everybody's Credentials Need To Be Verified. Saw On
Dec 29, 2009

the news that a new company has sprung up fabricating resumes to give those folks with no experience some experience and education.  All those claiming to be CMTs need to be checked.  Word has it, this too is going on along with some name changing to confuse the issue. ...

Echo Tech Credentials
Jun 14, 2010

gives the name of the echocardiogram tech and then s/l BSRCS or possibly VSRCS Sounds like it would be his credentials. ...

ADHI Vot For Mandatory Credentials
Aug 15, 2010

Did they vote to give themselves all a raise too?  They can have thier little votes amongst themselves until the cows come home.  It's never going to happen!  Not as long as so much work is allowed to be outsourced over seas.  It would be different if they were actually advocates for MTs and the industry as a whole, instead of promoting their own agenda.  Then, maybe they would actually be respected by the MTs themselves.  We need hea ...

What Other Jobs Can Those With RHIT Credentials Do
Apr 26, 2012

Just curious what else RHIT's can do besides coding? ...

Newbies And Students - About AHDI Credentials ...
Jan 06, 2010

A certificate of completion (of your course or education program) does not make you a CMT. The AHDI (Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity) offers 2 different credentials:  RMT (for those with less experience) and CMT.   Both credentials require passing a challenge exam and continuing education credits to maintain (every 3 years).  If you think that it doesn't matter whether you obtain an RMT or CMT credential through the AHDI, just think of it this way:&n ...

Salary Increase Expectations After Getting CPC, CCS Credentials
Feb 03, 2013

I just landed an entry-level position as a hospital outpatient coder!  Yay!  It is a foot in the door towards my new career.  After I sit for and get my credentials (I have 0 experience in this field), I plan on giving my passing credentials to my HIM director and to HR.  Is it appropriate to ask HR when I do my hiring paperwork/orientation what salary increases are given for credentials and per credential?  I am not really sure that is the right time or place to discuss ...

MT Certification Help!
Mar 07, 2010

I have set my goal to become certified after being a transcriptionist for 5 years. I wondered if anyone knew of any good study guide or books that may have helped them? I have been to ADHI and they have a monthly course I was considering. ...

CMT Certification
Mar 31, 2010

Just talked to sup and was informed that MTs who get certified will make a whopping half cent per line more!  ..... ROFL ...

Certification?
Apr 27, 2010

I took online coding program years ago as well as an MT program.  I decided to go into MT but am wanting to start back up with coding again.  Is it worth it to do another coding program or to pursue a certification?  I'm not sure the money I'd need to spend would really justify either.  I've been doing a lot of research and while certification is preferred, it's not always a requirement in job descriptions.  Thanks ...

Certification Or Not?
Aug 19, 2010

With all the news about AHDI MT certifications and such, is anyone not certified taking steps to get certified? I find this very frustrating. I have been in the business 15 years and have leared on the job. Not sure what to do? ...

Certification
Aug 11, 2014

Ok my certification is due in a few months and I'm tired of paying dues to Recertify.  I feel it is not benefitting me at all.  I haven't had a pay raise in years and I'm getting extremely frustrated.  Any advice appreciated! ...

RHIT Certification
Jan 05, 2010

Looking at college courses at the local community college, I figure I am two semesters away from an associates degree and ability to be RHIT certified.  Are you guys certified?  Is there online work for coding?  Is the pay decent?  In your opinion, is this a good move to make?  ...

Is CMT Certification Worth It?
Feb 14, 2010

What are your feelings about obtaining your CMT credentials when VR (at least with my employer) doesn't follow BOS or acknowledge the styles, forms and practices that, at one time were the norm? I get blown away with sentence structure and grammar these days.  Do you think one should become certified with the latest trend with VR?  Seems to me "No", not worth it, unless I moved on to a company who did not use VR. But, then again, if this is the trend hospitals and companies a ...

Why Does Certification Cost So Much?
Aug 23, 2010

I'm eligible to sit for the CMT and the RHIT and both exams are over $200 to take. It feels like I'm buying credentials! Why are these certification exams so much money to take and keep up! It's ridiculous! What do you pay for? ...

Certification Requirements
Oct 26, 2010

I am curious about whether one has to have a certain amount of experience in coding before you can take the CCA or CCs certification exam.  I have had 20 years of A&P and know a considerable amount about disease process.  I have been studying coding on my own for about a year now.  I know that your chances for passing the test are better if you have been in the coding business for several years, but has anyone out there taken the CCS just by studying and utilizing their life e ...