A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

US Dept of Labor back wages payment - K&R Consulting

Posted: Jul 31, 2013

Anyone else get a sweet check from K&R for back wages and a letter from Department of Labor?

back wages - really?

[ In Reply To ..]
What lawsuit was this from? Please give a little more detail so I know whether to be on the lookout or not! :)

not sure there was a lawsuit - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
just got money and the letter from the department of labor says work period 10/02/2010 through 12/31/2011?

You aren't suing when you contact the Labor Board - (sm). - MTBankAccount

[ In Reply To ..]
You file a complaint with them, provide your documentation and tell them what you weren't paid for, and if they feel a labor law has been broken, they go after them. Years ago, I got a sweet check from an employer after they took money out of each paycheck for health insurance, but the insurance was never provided. So I got a check for not only what I had put in, but what the insurance for 8 months would've been worth, had I had it. It was sweet, alright! ;)

Back wages - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Looking at my post it looks like K&R is the poster, but it's not--I just didn't think that through. Anyway I'm wondering if other MTs got back payments too. I remember some drama a few years ago, but never thought I would see this money in my mailbox!

Who did you work for then? - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Worked for K&R - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Oh, thanks. I thought K&R was a 3rd party :/ - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

way to go!! lucky Gal! If D of Labor made her do it, they must - have a list from her records of all owed right? NM

[ In Reply To ..]
That news is a breath of fresh air!!

I'm thinking that would be right? - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
but I suppose it would be up to K&R to supply the list--and who knows how forthright they would be?
GOOD! They owe me also.. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
we can hope, right?
it was for last year - tax records with 1099s. - anon-2
[ In Reply To ..]
she might be getting audited.

In my case, they not only checked records of - my pay, but all employees there. -(sm).

[ In Reply To ..]
When the company had to pay everyone all they were owed - insurance, back overtime pay, bounced checks, and other little infractions, plus fines - it put them out of business. Did my little ol' heart a world of good when I got the news.

audit - mtme

[ In Reply To ..]
Did K&R do VA Hospital work? My employer got audited by the DOL and had to pay back wages because of not paying the hourly wage as required on government contracts.

K&R is a VA contractor--what company did you work for - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
They were paying us 1099 wages and that is a no-no on VA contracts.

Yes, they did VA work at one time. They probably got audited. nm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
x

They got reported by an MT who they fired for exposing them - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember one MT sent an e-mail to everyone saying K&R was supposed to be paying us as employees, etc. and K&R sent out an e-mail saying they apologized for the upset by the MT who accused them of breaking the rules, but reassured us they were doing everything by the law. They fired the MT and now we find out who was telling the truth--THE MT!

Check - MN MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I see the check is only for 2010-2011 so what about other years working for them. If I sign the paperwork does that waive me from any other years they are audited? I think we should look into this before signing.

Check - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
This is one of those times when you really, really do need a to consult a lawyer. It would likely not take much of his/her time at all, and there is much at stake. Good luck and brava to the MT who ratted them out!

Check - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I wondered about that too. I see on the letter from the WHD that there is a disclaimer NOTICE TO EMPLOYEE about accepting the payment as total resolution, but that seems to reflect the Fair Labor Standards Act and this payment is required by the Service Contract Act. I've cashed the check but haven't signed the Receipt for payment from Department of Labor. I'm considering moving forward for the rest of my wages. Let us know what you decide.

What years are involved? - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Worked for them for a short time in 2009 and 2010.
I think there is a 2-year statute . . . - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
but you should check with the DOL in Georgia to be sure.
Check? - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I worked there from 2009 to 2013 and have received no check, but I do remember the drama involved when they fired that lady who ratted them out about the labor laws and pay involved. I never thought we would see anything either. I have talked to several current and ex KnR MTs and only 1 got anything...the others have yet to receive anything. Hope for all of us we all get something.
Were you an IC or employee, maybe K&R didn't give all the names? - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
So what was all the drama anyway? How did she do it? Maybe you should contact the DOL like the above post.

What does the DOL letter say? - OPMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I contacted the DOL since I had not got a check, and to see when mine was coming. They said I was not on the list. So I am filing a complaint. Does the letter any of you got say what the violation was for? Any info is helpful. Thanks!

Violation of Service Contract Act--we should have been paid prevailing wage and benefits - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
since it was a government contract. You should have been classified as an employee because their contract says no IC!

DOL office Atlanta, GA case ID: #1639826 - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
phone number 404-893-4600

IC/employee? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I was an IC until 2012 (july) when they changed me to employee. I called dept of labor and they said I was not on the list either.
Did you ask about your back wages and what did they say? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder why DOL doesn't have all the names for everyone working there--this seems rather odd!
No..... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I asked about it, but they said the list is small of those yet to receive a settlement. I am not on that list. I told her the same thing, that we all should be on there, and she said she could not tell me the reason some are and some aren't but I can call the investigator for further information. I told her that a year ago we knew they made a contract violation for IC/employee and she said the violation was not due to contracts. So I am really confused...
NO ? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I hope you talk to the investigator if you really are due back wages. I suppose they could mean it's not about contracts because the DOL doesn't deal with contract violations, they deal with labor laws--just guessing. Wish I knew how to post a copy of my letter on here. Don't give up.

I am the MT who filed the claim and to the best of my knowledge - Tess

[ In Reply To ..]
everyone working for K&R on a VA contract that was not classified as an employee and receiving prevailing wage has a legitimate claim for back wages. If you were working there as an IC you should contact the DOL and document your phone calls, who you talk to and their answers. I have no legal experience but the way it was explained to me is everyone has a right to their wages!

Thanks!!! - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the info and thank you for what you did!!!!

Thanks for your support. It was the right thing to do and I hope others do the same - Tess

[ In Reply To ..]
you can remain anonymous with the DOL--unfortunately I made my complaint known to the company!

K&R back wages - lisa

[ In Reply To ..]
thank you so much Tess, just got the check! If it wasn't for you looking into this we wouldn't have this money

but not everyone... - irrateMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately not everyone is getting a check even though we all worked here at the same time and got paid the same way. Management needs to send out some kind of response to all this so we all know what this was for and why some got it and others not....when these things are posted it spreads like wild fire and there are too many unanswered questions. I do thank you for putting yourself out there and getting what is rightfully deserved.
Contact the department of labor mentioned in earlier post - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
You have to do the leg work--give them a call.
Irrate MT-management is going to help you, they are the ones taking advantage of you - call DOL
[ In Reply To ..]
It looks like they only gave some names, one would think intentionally!
opps, should say management is NOT going to help you - call DOL
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I understood you - irrateMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I know management will do nothing to help, or admit to wrong doing, but I sure hope there is going to be an explanation from upper management soon as to what is going on. This could become a class action lawsuit...not fair that some and not all were listed.
Didn't realize they had upper management--hope everyone - gets their pay
[ In Reply To ..]
Let us know if there is a lawsuit, this is just so wrong what they have done.

Similar Messages:

Waiting On A Call Back From Dept Of Labor
Oct 07, 2010

I would encourage everyone to call their local DOL about this issue. When we sit here for 20-30 minutes typing a job and lose it due to no fault of our own, we should be compensated for the time that we sat here.  I left a message for my local DOL, hopefully will get a call back, but it seems to me that constitutes not getting paid for hours worked, which is illegal.  If anyone else has checked into this, let me know. Thanks! ...

According To US Dept Of Labor
Dec 15, 2012

Recognized as top career choice by US Dept of Labor Statistics, "employment of medical transcriptions is projected to grow faster on average compared to all other occupations through 2014." In addition, with new health care legislation, adding nearly 50 million people to health insurance will definitely increase the demand for more transcribers.   What a crock. ...

Approaching Dept. Of Labor
Jul 19, 2011

Alerting the Department of Labor has been bandied about regarding the unfair and unjust treatment that MTSOs like to dole out because they think they can get away with it, and we have, in a sense, just rolled over and let them for fear of job loss or being the troublemaker if we spoke up.  Perhaps it is time we find out if we have legitimate issues here and maybe something can be done about them, such as: 1.  Not being paid for spaces. 2.  Not being paid for demographics. ...

Found This Under Dept Of Labor.....
Aug 07, 2012

Off-the-Clock References The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires that covered non-exempt employees receive at least the minimum wage and at least one and one-half times their regular rates of pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek. In general, "hours worked" includes all time an employee must be on duty, or on the employer's premises or at any other prescribed place of work. Also included is any additional time the employee is allowed (i.e., suffered or permitted) to work. The amo ...

I Will Be Contacting My State's Dept. Of Labor.
Aug 19, 2010

Last pay check, I did not receive the PTO I requested in SS and was granted by my CCM. I contacted payroll immediately. Mind you, this happened to me once before.  It took 1 email and 1 phone call and I had a check the very next day. It is now a week later.  I have been around and around with payroll and my CCM.  FINALLY, yesterday, I get an email that they owe me the PTO and will add it onto MY NEXT CHECK. I don't think so.  That is money that I earned and am entitl ...

Shouldn't All MTSOs Be Investigated By The Dept Of Labor?
Apr 04, 2015

Landmark:  They were sued with a class action for FLSA violation, for "willfull and reckless" nonpayment of overtime in 2011.  I have not seen a suit for minimum wage.  Anyone aware of any suits besides the one against Landmark?  ...

313-226-7448 616-456-2004 Call Either Number For US Dept Of Labor
Sep 19, 2012

Called state DOL and was given these numbers for US DOL because the company grosses over half a million a year.  I called and left message regarding OT practices at Nuance.  Will update when I get a call back.  ...

Wages / OOW - Labor Commissioner Ruling
Apr 18, 2013

I had a hearing with the California State Labor Commissioner today.  I won the case and settled.  Because of the wage issues discussed and OOW rules (“waiting for work”), California State enforced the below and the company was advised to abide by these accounting rules and California State Laws.  These were the issues covered.  Please pay particular attention to OOW. MINIMUM WAGE:  Even though we are production based, Nuance is required to pay us at le ...

Any More Info On Why Only Some MTs Got Back Wages From K&R?
Aug 07, 2013

DOL says some of us are not on the list, what's up with that? ...

Possible Reason Only Some MTs Got Back Wages
Aug 08, 2013

My employer, who has several VA contracts, was audited by the DOL last year.  The findings of the audit were that the employer should have been paying us the prevailing hourly wage because the contracts were federal government contracts.  Many people got back pay for the period of time for which the books were audited, but not everyone did because the DOL only audited one of our accounts.  Even though all the rest of the MTs were paid exactly the same way (on a production basis), ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Does Anyone Know The # To Payroll Dept?
Oct 21, 2013

I no longer work there and need to get in touch with them.  Need a copy of W2 and did not have to file a tax return because I did not make enough and do not have a copy of the W2.  Need it for financial aid.   ...

MM Help...how To Contact HR Dept?
Sep 23, 2014

Not sure if I'm just drawing a blank or if I'm going crazy (or both), but didn't our old email system (before IPSWITCH Imail Server) have a bunch of different sections, specifically how/where to contact Human Resources? Can't seem to find it anywhere and the old email system won't let me log in....? ...

Epic - Changes In # Of Staff In HIM Dept?
Mar 07, 2013

Hi.  I am in my third week of employment as a coder!  Yay!  I am learning a lot, still going to school FT, and commuting 1 hour each way to work.  I am the "low man on the totum pole."  We are starting to train for Epic which is supposed to be going live in a few months.  Has Epic affected the work load in that there is a reduction of coders/transcriptions where you work?  Just wondering.  I do other clerical duties such as pulling charts, abstracting, and ...

Anyone Have The Phone # For The HR Dept At MModal?
Aug 18, 2013

I would appreciate it. Need it for applying for UE tomorrow. Any help...thanks. ...

Email From IT Dept At Imedx
Dec 02, 2014

I just love emails from IT department at imedx. It is like solving a puzzle to figure out what they are trying to communicate. More fun and sparkle added to my day! Message to Imedx: Hire 1 English as first language IT person to commicate with your US employees. Just fuels my belief that despite what I have been told, you have NO intention of keeping me on as an employee long-term. This is just common sense, which in my opinion most of your decisions so far seem to be greatly lacking! P.S. Sure ...

HIPAA Violation? My HMO's Records Dept Accidentally Sent
Jan 10, 2015

instead of my own.  I called and told the person (it was the exact person that I had send the records)  and he acted like it was no big deal -- he just goes, "oh could you bring that back here today?"  Of course I will bring them back, but I think it was funny how he made it seem like there was nothing wrong with the scenario.  He probably thought I had no idea about HIPAA.  ...

Payment
Sep 14, 2010

I am very upset right now.  I just got an e-mail stating that my checkwill be late for a week. I have looked long and hard to find a MT job and work my "buns" off to keep it.  I  am very frustrated, but also feel stuck. I know how hard the MT jobs are to find....like to have never got this one.  My question is what do you say to someone who tells you that? My employer is a small contract transcription company and I am the only person who does the work for him/her. A ...

TTD - Payment
Sep 15, 2011

How long does it usually take for you to receive your check from TTD through the mail?  I know it depends on where you live, but I live on the west coast and TTD is located in CA, so I am thinking it shouldn't take that long for the check to get to me if it was sent out Monday the latest.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

What Dept Is Notified When A Patient Leaves AMA With Equipment Attached
Oct 12, 2011

? ...

Payment Advice - Please Help!!
Nov 12, 2009

I need some advice on what to do. I have been working for a service since last July and its been pretty good since but now and then my checks were coming late - sometimes a week late. Lately this has been pretty much happening the last several paytimes, such as now, as I am waiting for my check from the end of October. I have been emailing but not getting any response as to even acknowledege the issue. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to go about handling this and if there is someone I ...

Makeup Payment?
Apr 20, 2011

Anybody else have a "makeup payment" amount included in their pay check?  These checks are SOOOO confusing.  Anyone know where they include any shift differential amount?  Thanks. ...

Payment For ADT Info
Jun 06, 2011

Does anyone else get paid for the info they enter in to ADT?  I found out recently that we do not...... ...

Make-up Payment
Aug 10, 2011

I've noticed this Make up payment field in my extraordinarily confusing paystub LOL.  What the heck is that? I think it may actually be bringing me up to minimum wage because I live in MA and its higher than the feds.  anybody know?   ...

Late Payment
Nov 14, 2013

So, I have worked for this person since 2007.  In the beginning everything was WONDERFUL.  Great to work for, plenty of work, fairly decent wage, etc.  Now for the last couple of years pay has been increasingly late.  I was originally set for pay days on the 1st and the 15th.  A couple of years ago it changed to the 5th and the 20th, which is fine, I can handle that.  that started being late so I said I would change it in my mind to the 10th and the 25th so I wouldn ...

Payment For Transcription Work
Sep 01, 2010

I worked for a small transcription company. They only paid me for half of the work I did for them and refuse to pay me for the rest.  When I try to collect from them they tell me to sue them in small claims court if I want the balance.  Any suggestions to get my payment?  I am in one state and they are located in another state. ...

Payment/nonpayment For Services
Apr 27, 2011

I have a signed contact with a company as of 3/15/2011 according to the contact payment for services is to be made within 5 business day of receipt of the invoices.  I have done work for them, I have submitted my invoices to them for payment.  My first invoice was dated 3/17/2011, payment was posted to my Paypal account and then canceled the day it was to be released.  I continued to do work for her giving the benefit of the doubt but here is is almost a month later and I can' ...

Medigrafix/PreciseMT NON PAYMENT
Aug 25, 2012

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN GO TO WOWT CHANNEL SIX OMAHA Fact finders watch story and read posts. ...

Has Anyone Ever Missed A Quartery Tax Payment
Jul 15, 2013

I actually thought they were due this month, just pulled out my vouchers and saw they were due last month.  I actually watched a video with an accountant and he said you don't have to pay quarterly taxes, they just set it up to help you out.  I was wondering though if anyone has actually ever missed a payment and what the outcome was.  Trying to find something on the internet but not finding anything except penalties if you owe at the end of the year. ...

Has Anyone Used An Attorney To Collect Payment...
Aug 12, 2014

Hi, If you have used an attorney to collect payment on an invoice as an IC, I am curious to know how long it took to obtain payment and if you pursued any other damages such as the attorney's fees, bank charges incurred, etc., etc. and how long the process took.  I am out of patience with a small MTSO who pays consistently 1-4 days after payday and ready to pursue any and all avenues necessary to obtain payment since pay is late again and I have received no repsonse to my inquiries r ...