A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone used an attorney to collect payment... - inquiring

Posted: Aug 12, 2014

Hi,

If you have used an attorney to collect payment on an invoice as an IC, I am curious to know how long it took to obtain payment and if you pursued any other damages such as the attorney's fees, bank charges incurred, etc., etc. and how long the process took. 

I am out of patience with a small MTSO who pays consistently 1-4 days after payday and ready to pursue any and all avenues necessary to obtain payment since pay is late again and I have received no repsonse to my inquiries regarding status of my pay. 

Feel free to email me privately to share your experience and/or to request the name of the company I am having issues with.

TIA!

The problem is, even if you win, there is no guarantee you can collect. sm - Deadbeats abound

[ In Reply To ..]
At least that is what I was told, that the court can issue a judgment, but if they do not pay, you would have limited options. I was cheated by an MTSO and it turned out she owed so many people and was filing bankruptcy and the odds of me getting anything were small, so I just let it go and chalked it up to experience. On top of it, she had pretended to be my friend, but in the end, she will be the one who has to answer for her sins.

I hope the person does not owe you much. Good luck in collecting! :-)

If you file in Small Claims and win, and still don't - collect, you can then put a lien - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
on just about anything of value they own, and it has to be sold to pay you your money. I once put a lien on someone's car, which I happened to know they had the pink slip on. Had I not bumped into that person in a restaurant, and convinced them that paying me immediately in cash was the easier road for them to follow, within a week of our meeting, a sheriff would have gone out to their home accompanied by a tow truck, and taken their car.

check your facts... - you cannot put a lien

[ In Reply To ..]
on a "service." I am treasurer of an HOA and we had a dispute with a vendor we had used to service our lawn care. We did not pay the vendor that performed the service, as we were disputing the charges we were being charged. the vendor put a lien on all of the HOA properties until the debt was paid, even if it was in legal dispute. We sought an attorney and we were told a "service" is not lien-able. The vendor in turn went to an attorney who told her the same thing... she cannot put a lien on property for a service. she therefore had to pay to have the lien on 32 properties removed! MT is a service provided to a client. Therefore one cannot put a lien on the client for "services rendered." check it out for yourself.
My suit and lien was for a service (not MT). - I did the work, I was not paid. (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
I wasn't an employee, just an IC. So I filed, they didn't show up in court, and I started the lien process. I got lucky and bumped into the deadbeat in a Denny's. He'd just gotten paid and was eating out. I embarrassed him in front of his friends, and he paid me cash.

I do not - understand

[ In Reply To ..]
You are stating that your MTSO pays 1-4 days late consistently... that is not like you are not getting paid at all! I would much prefer being paid late rather than no pay at all, and I do not see where seeking an attorney is going to help the situation. What do you want him to do? Scold her?? I work for a small MTSO, as well, and yes, she is consistently late with payment, but I do appreciate the fact that she DOES pay me, be it 4 days late to a month late, at least I finally get it. I would not complain, if I were you. Consider yourself lucky to even have the job at all. Perhaps she has to wait to be paid by the client in order to pay you. cut her some slack already.

No, don't cut her any slack! - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
This attitude of "consider yourself lucky to have the job at all" attitude is just wrong. This person has performed a service and deserves to be paid in a timely way. I am sure that if I paid my mortgage 4 days to a month late, the Bank of America would be pounding on my door (and eventually taking me to foreclosure). We teach people how to treat us. Hopefully, this MT had the foresight to have a signed contract with the MTSO that specifies pay dates. If the MT performs her work on time and therefore the hospital or physician for whom the MTSO is doing the work is kept in TAT, the payments to the MT should also be kept in TAT! Most businesses that are legit (even small ones) have a line of credit at the bank that they can draw on for cash flow problems. Whatever cash flow problems the MTSO has are not the MT's problem. They need to agree upon a pay date and stick to that date. I don't advise using an attorney. Our firm bills $400/hour. I would think perhaps a frank conversation about needing to be paid on time would do it. In any event, please don't roll over and buy into the "you're lucky to have a job yada-yada" routine. It devalues you. Your work is valuable and you should be paid for it. Good luck!

No slack and charge late fee - ICgranny

[ In Reply To ..]
Definitely don't cut her any slack or waste any money on an attorney for late payments, unless your are owed a boat load of money--which in this business is probably not the case. Assuming you have a contract with specified pay dates, you should send another bill after the pay date has passed with a late fee--5% maybe? Like Nick said any other business, mortgage, credit card, rent, etc. is not going to give you any slack and you are a business too. The quoted late feeds on my mortgage and credit cards are terrifying--you should terrify her. Just sayin

The fastest and most effective way to do it - No nonsense person

[ In Reply To ..]
Turn these people or this company into the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (f you are an IC) and the Social Security Administration (if you are an employee).

The people at the IRS will ask you particulars. Then you leave it up to them. The IRS WILL contact the company, trust me. I've had to do it before, and the company was not happy.

You have to learn to take your power back.

You may want to let the company know in writing that should you not receive your compensation, your call to the IRS will be forthcoming. There is no need to grovel. If you are an IC, and they are withholding $$, then more than likely they are in violation of treating you as an employee, and you can also go over that with the IRS too as well as calling the social security administration.

Stop all this groveling and take your power back people.

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Know If I Can Collect UE? S/m
Jul 21, 2012

I lost my job last year, was on UE for 2 months.  Then got hired by a large company.  Biggest mistake of my life.  I never hated a job as much as this one.  I was making less money, working longer hours - I had a meltdown 2 weeks ago and walked away.  I haven't been back since, applying for different jobs but I do have bills to pay.   Does anyone know if I can file for UE and collect on the "balance" I have?  I could collect for 4.5 months while job h ...

Can An IC Collect Unemployment?
Sep 22, 2012

YES!!!!!!!! Ladies and gentlemen there IS hope! Because my employer dictated my hours per week, per day and the time I was to work unemployment considered that to be an employee status and NOT IC even though they didn't pay my taxes. This was the decision made after my prior employer appealed my unemployment benefits from them. Please keep the faith that these companies who try to dictate to IC's their hours, ect will NOT get away with it forever! I wish you'all the best of ...

Is It Possible To Collect Partial Unemployment?
Jan 07, 2014

I've heard this before, but was unable to find anything about it ... I live in Georgia.  I went through all my PTO over the holidays because of NJA, and now it's the beginning of the week and I'm already 4 hours down.  What good does it do to "work" on holidays, when there's never any work?  I guess they just can't stand paying that holiday pay ... I'm so depressed right now and my first check of 2014 that I will get on Friday is going to be horrible. ...

Does Anyone Know If A Person Can Collect Social Security And Unemployment?
Jan 07, 2014

I have an email out to a friend with this question also.  She was laid off and had already applied for social security early.  Haven't heard back yet. ...

Attorney At Law
Aug 30, 2010

Why is the above subject not hyphenated whereas father-in-law is hyphenated as per the 2nd edition of the Book of Style?  Anybody with the correct answer?  Thanks, confused. ...

Need Attorney
Aug 04, 2013

I'm working for a company that I feel is gyping me over on pay.  I am a very experienced MT, working for a company...they have me on over 15 accounts and using over 6 different platforms.  I work the graveyard shift and cover all stats.  I get paid $1.20 a report (radiology and cardiology).  My base rate pay is $12.44 an hour.  Sometimes I can only type 4-5 reports in an hour (long cardiology and ESL doctors who you can't understand).  I can type up to 20 ...

ATTORNEY
Apr 15, 2014

If there are any MTs/MLSs who live in PA, northern Ohio who work for M-Modal, please contact me. I can get the party started for all of you with an Employment Rights Law Firm to see if you indeed have a case against the company. Sounds like you may have a case; I've already spoken with my attorney who is handing another case for me and he is interested in pursuing these types of cases, particularly those who are not being paid for work-related duties. ...

An Attorney Who Has Represented An MT (sm)
Mar 03, 2010

I don't work for MQ but it sure looks like something is going on or about to go on that is not going to be to the benefit of the MTs.  Some months back an MT successfully sued an MTSO for a settlement of $98, 421.88 (yeah, I know!).  I printed off the attorney's name just in case I need it in the future.  Here it is: Rob Wiley Law office of Rob Wiley, P.C. 1825 Market Center Blvd. Suite 385 Dallas, Tx 75207  (tel. 214-528-6500). Good luck, you guys!   ...

HAS ANYONE SOUGHT AN ATTORNEY???
Mar 29, 2014

I am in the process of checking with a Texas Attorney about all of this. Has anyone who has been fired done so? ...

Has Anyone Contacted A Labor Attorney?
Feb 14, 2014

I am wondering if anyone else has contacted a labor attorney regarding the legality of being forced to either sit at your computer for hours on end, use PTO time or risk being fired for their inability to provide work for us? I have an appointment to speak with one, but I was just wondering if anyone else had looked into this and the outcome? This just is really starting to feel like a sweatshop. ...

NEWS!! An Attorney Has Agreed To Take This Case!
Mar 04, 2010

I wrote in to ask for help from a major radio broadcaster who is a lawer, ***** (not allowed to advertise other websites here).  I briefly and objectively explained our quandary.  A lawyer said Mr. H_____ asked him to "briefly respond to your case" and is stepping up to the bat.  He said he believes we could have a case by "wrongful termination by constructive discharge."    His name is *****.  I'll be calling him on my lunch break and getting back to yo ...

Capitalization - Durable Power Of Attorney
Feb 19, 2013

Should "durable power of attorney" be typed in uppercase? ...

Look At This Regarding Overtime - Found It On A Labor Attorney Website.
Oct 14, 2012

Piece rate ΓΆ€” The regular rate of pay for an employee paid on a piecework basis is obtained by dividing the total weekly earnings by the total number of hours worked in that week. The employee is entitled to an additional one-half times this regular rate for each hour over 40, plus the full piecework earnings. Example: An employee paid on a piecework basis works 45 hours in a week and earns $315. The regular rate of pay for that week is $315 divided by 45, or $7.00 an hour. In addition to ...

Payment
Sep 14, 2010

I am very upset right now.  I just got an e-mail stating that my checkwill be late for a week. I have looked long and hard to find a MT job and work my "buns" off to keep it.  I  am very frustrated, but also feel stuck. I know how hard the MT jobs are to find....like to have never got this one.  My question is what do you say to someone who tells you that? My employer is a small contract transcription company and I am the only person who does the work for him/her. A ...

TTD - Payment
Sep 15, 2011

How long does it usually take for you to receive your check from TTD through the mail?  I know it depends on where you live, but I live on the west coast and TTD is located in CA, so I am thinking it shouldn't take that long for the check to get to me if it was sent out Monday the latest.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Payment Advice - Please Help!!
Nov 12, 2009

I need some advice on what to do. I have been working for a service since last July and its been pretty good since but now and then my checks were coming late - sometimes a week late. Lately this has been pretty much happening the last several paytimes, such as now, as I am waiting for my check from the end of October. I have been emailing but not getting any response as to even acknowledege the issue. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to go about handling this and if there is someone I ...

Makeup Payment?
Apr 20, 2011

Anybody else have a "makeup payment" amount included in their pay check?  These checks are SOOOO confusing.  Anyone know where they include any shift differential amount?  Thanks. ...

Payment For ADT Info
Jun 06, 2011

Does anyone else get paid for the info they enter in to ADT?  I found out recently that we do not...... ...

Make-up Payment
Aug 10, 2011

I've noticed this Make up payment field in my extraordinarily confusing paystub LOL.  What the heck is that? I think it may actually be bringing me up to minimum wage because I live in MA and its higher than the feds.  anybody know?   ...

Late Payment
Nov 14, 2013

So, I have worked for this person since 2007.  In the beginning everything was WONDERFUL.  Great to work for, plenty of work, fairly decent wage, etc.  Now for the last couple of years pay has been increasingly late.  I was originally set for pay days on the 1st and the 15th.  A couple of years ago it changed to the 5th and the 20th, which is fine, I can handle that.  that started being late so I said I would change it in my mind to the 10th and the 25th so I wouldn ...

Payment For Transcription Work
Sep 01, 2010

I worked for a small transcription company. They only paid me for half of the work I did for them and refuse to pay me for the rest.  When I try to collect from them they tell me to sue them in small claims court if I want the balance.  Any suggestions to get my payment?  I am in one state and they are located in another state. ...

Payment/nonpayment For Services
Apr 27, 2011

I have a signed contact with a company as of 3/15/2011 according to the contact payment for services is to be made within 5 business day of receipt of the invoices.  I have done work for them, I have submitted my invoices to them for payment.  My first invoice was dated 3/17/2011, payment was posted to my Paypal account and then canceled the day it was to be released.  I continued to do work for her giving the benefit of the doubt but here is is almost a month later and I can' ...

Medigrafix/PreciseMT NON PAYMENT
Aug 25, 2012

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN GO TO WOWT CHANNEL SIX OMAHA Fact finders watch story and read posts. ...

Has Anyone Ever Missed A Quartery Tax Payment
Jul 15, 2013

I actually thought they were due this month, just pulled out my vouchers and saw they were due last month.  I actually watched a video with an accountant and he said you don't have to pay quarterly taxes, they just set it up to help you out.  I was wondering though if anyone has actually ever missed a payment and what the outcome was.  Trying to find something on the internet but not finding anything except penalties if you owe at the end of the year. ...

CAREER STEP Payment PLANS?
May 09, 2010

If anyone has taken Career Step, do you feel you are being challenged and that it is worth the money? Do they have payment plans? ...

Non-payment By DW Medical Transcription Company
Apr 28, 2011

Did some weekends ER reports to DW Medical Transcription, Atlanta, GA from June 20 to Dec 15. They still owe $1,400 for Oct to Dec work. Their accountant lied  "Your check has been mailed. Please do not send any Emails telling me when and what I need to mail to you" and the owner/manager, Felicia made false promise “A check will go out to you next Friday on the 15th of this month”. NOT RECEIVED THE PAYMENT SO FAR AND NO RESPONSE FOR MY EMAILS. Their attorney said ...

Express Scribe Payment Could Not Be Processed
Nov 18, 2012

I have used Express Scribe (the free version) for the past several years...to make a long story short...a few weeks ago, it asked me to pay for it...I tried..said the payment could not be processed...so I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it worked fine...this morning I wake up to start transcribing and now it will not let me install my footpedal. There is no phone number to contact anyone, and I hate how there was no warning it just all of a sudden will not allow me to install it, saying that ...

I Received An ACH Confirmation Number But Still Have No Payment. Sm
Apr 12, 2013

Does anyone know what (if anything) I am supposed to do with this information? The MTSO has NEVER been on time paying me, so this is no big surprise (payment was due April 1), but supposedly the ACH payment was made 2 days ago and she gave me a confirmation number, but I'm not sure what that means to me other than the fact that once again I will go into another weekend unpaid. (sigh) ...

Ascend Health Care - Payment
Apr 09, 2014

Has anyone who was hired on at Ascend/Portal Health Care LLC during the last hiring received their payment for Phase I?  I am beyond outraged right now; just told that I will have to wait until after the 15th  for my first payment to be processed b/c processing ended on March 20th despite repeated emails being sent out by payroll stating that submission after the 20th wouldn't affect the schedule of payment.  Not to mention, I submitted my invoice twice and asked for re ...

2 Lines Of Editing Equals 1 Line For Payment
Sep 22, 2010

For those of you thinking of going with FN out of California, when you get your employment package, you will find that 2 lines of work equals 1 line of editing--in other words, you must do twice as much work to get paid for a line of editing.  Of course, you do not find that out until you have invested time and interest with this place.  ...