A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Wages / OOW - Labor Commissioner Ruling - Anonymous

Posted: Apr 18, 2013

I had a hearing with the California State Labor Commissioner today.  I won the case and settled.  Because of the wage issues discussed and OOW rules (“waiting for work”), California State enforced the below and the company was advised to abide by these accounting rules and California State Laws.  These were the issues covered.  Please pay particular attention to OOW.

MINIMUM WAGE:  Even though we are production based, Nuance is required to pay us at least minimum wage for the hours we work, which is according to the state you are in or the federal minimum wage rate.  So if you earn less than minimum in production in an 8 hour shift, they must pay you up to the minimum wage.  Also, if you make less than minimum wage, they cannot add in your O/T, training hours, administrative hours, or anything that is paid at a different rate into figuring out what your hourly rate is when computing O/T and D/T and then covert it to the minimum wage amount.  They also cannot include minimum wage make up into an hourly rate with production to figure out an hourly wage to pay O/T and D/T.  Also, administration time has to be paid at the written agreed upon amount unless the employer has notified you of a change in pay rate in writing 30 days before.

OVER-TIME:  O/T must be calculated at your hourly pay, so if you only made minimum wage it would be time and a half at your states minimum wage rate. If you had production and made over minimum wage, you would figure out your hourly wage at the end of the week by dividing your production lines into your hours worked to come up with your hourly, then it would be calculated at time and a half of that.

DOUBLE-TIME:  D/T is only if you work seven straight days in a row and you work OVER 8 HOURS ON THAT DAY, then the time over 8 hours is double time, but the first 8 hours is only time and a half (O/T). 

OUT OF WORK “OOW”:  Per California State Labor Commissioner, if we are required to work between a certain time on certain days and are expected to be available and checking for work (checking computer for e-mails from supervisor, checking jobs to see if anything loads), then you are considered "waiting for work" according to the State of California and must be compensated for your shift.  If you came to work and say only worked an hour, then had to clock out OOW, but was required to keep checking the computer for e-mails to come back to work or checking to see if jobs load, then you are considered "waiting for working" and must be compensated for this.  If you clock out OOW and don't check for work and can leave the house, turn off the computer, not check for work, and are not available to work during your shift schedule (because they had you clock out OOW and you could leave the house), then you wouldn't be compensated for it.  But if they called you to come back during your "required shift schedule" because there was work now, then they are to compensate you for being available during that entire shift, because you were "waiting for work,"

I hope this helps some of you.  If you are having issues, file a complaint with your State Labor Commissioner.

UPDATE:  I had to amend to abide by MTStars posting policies of copies of any info in company e-mails and reps.  Sorry.

Next logical step is they will no longer employ people from CA - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
They will fire all of us who live here and only hire people who live in states who could care less about the worker.

In the end, the little guy never wins. I can't say I am pleased to read this, as I live in CA and can now expect to get fired from Nuance.

Thanks.

[ In Reply To ..]
Sad you feel this way. Can't make things better if you don't fight for everyone's rights in this field. Guess you'd rather bow down and let them walk all over you. I'm not trying to get anyone fired. I'm trying to get all of us treated fairly. Sorry I ruined your day.

OP: Link not available in original post. - Can you repost it? Thanks!

[ In Reply To ..]
nervous California girl here.

Little guy has never won - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I care about one thing only and that is feeding my kids. I don't have the luxury of risking my, and everyone else's, job for a cause.

Also, I truly do not believe that you can ever win against a big corporation.

It must be nice to have a safety net so you can tilt at windmills. At least you can sleep at night knowing you fought the good fight. Me, I will be living in my car.
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have a safety net either and will end up in my car. I'm no different than you, except I believe in employee rights and hope I can help if at all possible. Sorry you take it the negative way. Not trying to hurt anyone.
Your attitude is exactly why... - Shaking My Head
[ In Reply To ..]
...MTs have been treated badly in the first place. There was a time when MTs had a lot of room to bargain, but it was every one for themselves, even though they could calculate their shrinking pay, never knew what decent healthcare benefits were despite performing a job integral to the industry, watched as QA was used as a punitive club to take more of their pay/benefits, and to demote or even layoff/fire them...all the while telling MTs they would be replaced in a few short years (that was 30 years ago).

You should be thanking this person for making a medical transcription employer either fix their manner of business, or get out of the business rather than simpering about how you don't have a safety net because you choose to work for the industry's worst.
Hah, not hardly - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Corporations and greed are why we are here.

We have NO POWER. You are going to be very disillusioned when you realize this fact.

The Employer will not "fix" anything, they will simply move on to another state, as each state has different labor laws. Or, as we all know, they will move more off-shore.

I am not the problem, but hey if it makes you feel better, that's fine.

I won't be thanking anyone who makes my life more difficult with fantasy-like thinking that they have the power to "change" things.
WE HAVE POWER - if we use it - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
a big part of human history all over the planet, is how people who had "no power" got some for themselves. We can get some for ourselves. It's not FANTASY, it's HISTORY or HERSTORY, as you prefer.
Sorry, in this case history is not on our sides - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
See, here's the thing, in this particular fight we have NO power. They don't need us anymore. We have no bargaining chip.

They will simply do business in states with lax labor laws and then they will off-shore all of it. It can happen, it has happened in other industries. History backs that up. To believe otherwise is pure fantasy.

Yes, we have power - we have to exercise it - collectively - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
History doesn't back up your claims. What you posit is pure fantasy. So we disagree.
You are simply wrong... - Shaking My Head
[ In Reply To ..]
The evidence is that there will always be a place for MTs in the foreseeable future as long as narrative documentation is required for billing purposes. This current process of learning that the EHR is not a perfect system will prove this fact.
As I said, MTs used to have the power... - Shaking My Head
[ In Reply To ..]
They were sole proprietors running their business. They didn't have to pay out of their pocket for some inept middle management or money-grubbing CEO salaries. That is power. The quality of the work was also immensely better then as well. The corporations walked in and took over because documenting what the doctors had and had not dictated and where it was in the flow of the process was the problem. MTs were doing just fine on their end of it.

I'm not disillusioned. I'm well-informed and have decades in this field starting out at a much higher hourly rate than I make these days in this field. It's simple micro economics. These labor issues that have become industry wide followed up an influx of under-trained MTs who plunked down several grand to have someone wave a magic wand over their head and *poof* in 6 months one is ready to take on the world of medical transcription. Those of us who had a career once, have watched it crumble into barely a job thanks to the opportunists. You can count yourself in with the corporations on that point.
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you. I appreciate your understanding where I came from and my true intention.
I like the original post about the ruling - medical monkey
[ In Reply To ..]
I am glad that you won your suit. It is far and few between to see that the little man does win. For now, I have chosen to continue working with the MTSO, but this will not always be the case. I am bidding my time and printing out all the time/line papers we have to approve each week. Many of them have a lot of over time that I have not been compensated for. One day there will be a reckoning for that. For now, I must keep my job, but I will keep that paper trail ace in the hole. ;)
A day of "reckoning" for a Corporation?? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
It simply does not happen. The original post is a "win" for no one and certainly not a "loss" for Nuance.

Again, they will simply move their business elsewhere. They go where the profit is and when we cause more trouble than we are worth, they simply discard us and move along.

Please do enlighten me as to how I am wrong about any of this.

It does happen - all the time - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
They move their business elsewhere - they'll STILL have a day of reckoning somewhere down the line. It's inescapable, if excruciatingly slow. People only put up with injustice for so long.
AMEN! (nm) - Bilboa
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Your attitude is how they are CRUSHING US - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
If nobody tilts at windmills, the vast majority of Americans will be living in dire poverty. We MUST tilt at windmills!!!!

Don't apologize - you did a great thing - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally appreciate it, and the ruling you got. Just need to make it national, not state, decision.
You nailed the problem. It is a state thing and always will be - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
And if the fed were ever to do anything, which they won't due to the fact that corporate lobbyists run the government, then the MTSOs will simply move the jobs offshore completely and quickly.

So you see in the end we don't have jobs. Is that your goal? I don't see losing my job as a win. Lofty ideals don't feed the kids.

Life ain't fair and the fantastical thinking that it is, is actually the problem.
Wrong, it won't always be a state thing - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
The corporate model we have now is NOT sustainable long term. Too much concentration of wealth ALWAYS self-destructs - and history backs this up all over the globe.

We make life fair, and to think otherwise is fantastical thinking, as you put it. You ignore the movements throughout history that created change.
Well, dreams are a good thing to have. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The only change coming in the MT world is for all of the work to go overseas.

I don't begrudge you the dream that some day all will be well. It would be grand if you were correct. Too bad it just isn't going to happen.

The jobs are going ever more quickly overseas and already some companies will not hire you if you live in a pesky state with strong labor laws.

This will not end well for the MT. You speak of historical changes that have little or no bearing on this particularly situation. This isn't some big national movement, this is an invisible industry. Most people don't have a clue what we do when they ask what our job is.

Crystal ball time - the future of MT in the USA is that there isn't one.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem (nm). - Shaking My Head
[ In Reply To ..]
Not necessarily, you can also be neutral and have no - clue whats going on.
[ In Reply To ..]

seriously? - dumbmove_by_you

[ In Reply To ..]
By posting an email from your COM about OOW, you have just reduced the number of possible MLS who work for Nuance who could have re-posted, without permission I might add. That you are from California further reduces the possible MLS. Putting the bullseye right on your forehead is the fact that you showed your hand about a meeting with Nuance attorneys and the wage commission. Do you really think that Nuance cannot track the author of that email? I am pretty sure they have the capability to store all emails coming and going onto their servers. One might think twice before posting such things with identifiers in the topic that could increminate one's self. You may think you have won and that you have the upper hand but I seriously doubt the outcome will be as you expect. This may not be the highest paying job I have had as an MLS but in this age of technology and off-shoring I am grateful to have a transcription job at all but I do want to thank you for further twisting the screws into the rest of us from California by giving the remaining transcription services another reason to exclude us from future employment.

rights - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
Your post literally screams that you might just be an angry suit from Nuance who's trying to turn us all against the OP.

The OP had every right to fight for her rights, regardless of the state in which she lives. The info in her post is meant to inspire the rest of us to do the same in our states. She's showing us that it is possible to fight back... and win.

In summation, you're UNhappy that she won a battle for the rights of MTs, but you're perfectly happy working for unfair wages at Nuance. Hmm.

If you really are an MT and you want to work for pennies on the dollar, that's your business. The rest of us are sick of it.

in case you didn't know - DPMT

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a federal lawsuit on this same issue right now that 13 people, former workers from Transcend (now owned by Nuance) filed. It has been approved by the judge to be a class action suit, so it will soon be open to all employees past and present from as far as 3 years back. It addresses ALL of the issues brought by the original poster as their practices as the MT posted violates federal labor and wage laws. THIS is a national issue, and they will have to change how they do things. MANY other companies are watching what happens as it will affect how they run their business also.

Similar Messages:

US Dept Of Labor Back Wages Payment
Jul 31, 2013

Anyone else get a sweet check from K&R for back wages and a letter from Department of Labor? ...

I Need The Latest Official Ruling On A-fib!
Mar 25, 2011

I like a-fib, since I don't see a logical reason to capitalize the "A", but maybe there shouldn't be a hyphen?  ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Low Wages
Jul 21, 2010

Isn't it amazing how the cpl never seems to rise for transcriptionists?  Have these companies ever heard of cost of living?  This is pretty pathetic.  It has been 7 to 8 cpl of twenty years! ...

MT Wages
Dec 07, 2012

I want to congratulate everyone who posts on this site telling it like it is about the way these MT companies are destroying what once was a profession where you could make a decent living and actually enjoyed your job. I've been doing this for 30 years and I am still hanging on because I do not know what else to do at my age. I can barely pay my bills with what they are paying me and I am working full time. I am 68 years old and I really am not too excited about going back to school or sta ...

Wages?
Oct 31, 2013

I've taken the tests and have been offered a job with Nuance but want to know if the wage offered was the standard wage for Nuance.  I was offered 8 cpl for straight trasncription and 4 cpl for editing.  This would be for clinics only.  I've heard acute care paid more, but I've only ever had clinic experience.  Do they ever offer raises?  They mentioned a bonus program, and I've seen notes on here about people saying they have had problems getting th ...

AP - Wages
Jun 04, 2015

How many are aware of the wage disparity between different accounts (they don't find it necessary to tell us such a silly detail as the hourly wage, you have to look it up online).  With the new accounts, some pay quite low (as low as MB that no one wants to work on) and it may be a shock for those working on those accounts when they get their paychecks! Is it right of them to ask/require us to help out?  My feeling is  it is costing me to work on those accounts, as it lowers ...

Where Your Lost MQ Wages Are Going
Aug 27, 2010

From an article written 2 days ago regarding MQ's settlement of a lawsuit filed by Kaiser against Medquist (which MQ settled for 2 million, by the way):   The company reported net revenues for the three months ended June 30, 2010 as increasing $20.1 million or 25.9 percent to $97.5 million compared to $77.5 million for the three months ended June 30, 2009. ...

Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

I think a fair wage should be in relation to the economy, that which allows you to meet your baseline financial needs without having to work a second job or long hours.  I worked for a service back in the early 80s for 6.5 cents per line.  Today, nearly 30 years later, they're offering 7.5 cents per line, yet costs are sky-high.   It's pathetic.  It's sweatshop third world.  It's true, we're stuck with the way things are, but ...

WAGES-other Questions
Feb 27, 2011

I have been an MT for over 10 years for a hosital.  I am considering working for Medquist.  I currently make 19 per hour but my job is going away. I know   I can produce about 1700 lines per day mostly ISR work. Questions: How much does MQ pay per line for ISR (voice recognition) reports. Also what is the minimum work they require (lines per day). Do they pay PTO for part time? Do you get any incentives for weekend work?   How often do you run out of work? How m ...

No Raises In MT Wages
May 10, 2011

Is anyone else fed up with the fact that the wages for MTs never go up?  It has been the same low rate for years!  ...

Wages Owed - Help Me Out Here
Mar 10, 2012

I've got the form to file a complaint re:  Not getting paid for research, verifying patient name, cruddy dictators who shouldn't be in VR/ASR, etc. The person filing the complaint has to figure out how much the employer owes - any suggestions, or examples?  Say, for over a year's time? My example would be:  It takes 8 minutes to go through all my emails (a requirement of my job) weekly (yes, I timed myself) - so that's 8 x 4 = 32 minutes a month JUST for emai ...

Pathetic Wages
Mar 17, 2012

Does anyone else feel this way, work hard, trying to do a good job, need to pay the bills, need the insurance and end up with $80 for a full day's work and that is sometimes on a good day but $10.00 per hour seems to be on average what I get, after looking up docs, looking up meds, relistening to blanks, relistening to diagnosis, trying to understand lab values and yada, yada, yada.  Everyday becomes a marathon just to make $10 bucks an hour - haven't earned so little for man ...

Comparative Wages
Nov 07, 2012

Learned from my son yesterday that babysitters in Boulder, CO get $15/hour.  Do you think they have more training and experience than we do? ...

Unemployment Wages
Nov 18, 2013

If you are a production employee, employee status, do youl qualify for unemployment benefits (Nuance, formerly Accentus, formerly Zylomed)? ...

Wages And Compensation
Aug 07, 2014

I came into this field long after the precedent was set on pay.  I knew coming into this that the average wage ran from 6 cpl to 10 cpl, with most jobs hovering around 7 to 8 cpl.  What I didn't account for was that in more than 10 or 15 years, we'd still be at that rate.  Not only has our wage not gone up in over a decade, even with cost of living increases, but that when they came out with speech recognition, someone thought, "Well, it's doing half the work, so y ...

TTS Ridiculous Wages
Feb 19, 2015

It kinda looks like TTS can't get anyone to work for them with their ridiculous wages.  You'd think they would have figured it out by now.  ...

Question About Garnishment Of Wages
Nov 10, 2009

I just recently found out that my wages are being garnished.  I knew it was coming and I decided maybe it wasn't a bad idea in order to pay back this debt.  The problem is they are taking 20% of my disposable income which is a considerable amount!  I am a single mom with two kids and 20% is simply too much and doesn't leave us much to live on.  I did my research and found that in the state of Missouri if you are head of household and the only income, a creditor can ...

Those Owed Wages By DIT Please Read!!!
Jul 10, 2010

I worked for DIT from 01/10 through 03/10.  I quit when I didn't receive my first paycheck on time.  At this point DIT still owes me $278.  From the other posts I've seen, it looks like DIT Transcription has been doing this to their MTs for a couple of years now.  They just brought on a bunch of new clinics, yet my final paycheck from them bounced.  To add insult to injury, my bank charged ME an NSF fee.   Both the South Carolina Labor Board and State of ...

Followup To Fair Wages
Feb 18, 2011

Serious question: Why do you stay? ...

ATSI Nonpayment Of Wages
Aug 13, 2011

This is just a warning message to hopefully prevent other MTs from going through my experience.  ATSI still owes me three paychecks, which were repeatedly promised to be paid day after day, week after week, then we were informed they legally had to pay by August the 8th.  Most of us have still not been paid.  I just learned that David Shepherd and his wife, Terry, also control M T World.  I am now employed elsewhere, but it will take months to undo the damage this company did ...

Low Wages Being Offered By So Many MTSOs
Jul 04, 2012

As a seasoned medical transcriptionist with over 30 years of experience, I can no longer contain my irritation with the low wages being offered by so many MTSOs.  Therefore, rather than apply for the low-wage positions, I am e-mailing these companies and letting them know how insulting their wages are and what an asset I would be to their company, but refuse to accept these low wages. Some of you may not agree, but this is my form of protesting what has become of the medical transcription p ...

Companies Deducting From Your Wages
Aug 13, 2012

On the Company board, someone commented that Global Information Systems is deducting $5.00 per error.  THIS IS WRONG and it DOES make your company irreputable.  Another person commented their company was reputable and does the same thing.  In what world is it sensible to say a company is reputable and then cite how they behave illegally? This link fills you in.  Your company can't deduct your wages unless you signed an agreement saying they could.  And if you did t ...

Unpaid Insurance And Wages.
Aug 24, 2012

What would you think if you went to make a dental appt and were told you had no coverage due to non-payment by your employer and the insurance company cancelled you, but..... the premiums are still being taken out.  Or if you did not get your paycheck last payday or were $$$ short? ...

Is There An Option To Slave Wages?
Sep 10, 2012

Can we pinpoint the reasons we are working for slave wages and unfair treatment? I'm hearing EMR and TAT, but don't we have the ability to provide the same service directly to physicians with software we can download for free? Didn't most of us provide 24-hour turnaround? Has EMG made it to technical to keep up with? Why would a physician choose to pay an MTSO more than they were paying us as ICs when their primary concerns seems to be saving money? Has anyone surveyed wha ...

Softscript - Lost Wages
Oct 01, 2012

The recruiter is not the only serious problem they have.  Any former MTs at SS who are interested in being paid their lost wages should get in touch with me.  You should only contact me if you have documentation you are willing to share.  ...

For The First Time, I Qualify For EIC Because Of MM Wages
Mar 30, 2013

Guess I have sunk to a new low. With ASR and NJA, I have joined the working poor. Can't wait until I finish school and get out of here. My wage is less than when I started MT 25 years ago. Just trying to hold on until I finish school. ...

Any More Info On Why Only Some MTs Got Back Wages From K&R?
Aug 07, 2013

DOL says some of us are not on the list, what's up with that? ...

Possible Reason Only Some MTs Got Back Wages
Aug 08, 2013

My employer, who has several VA contracts, was audited by the DOL last year.  The findings of the audit were that the employer should have been paying us the prevailing hourly wage because the contracts were federal government contracts.  Many people got back pay for the period of time for which the books were audited, but not everyone did because the DOL only audited one of our accounts.  Even though all the rest of the MTs were paid exactly the same way (on a production basis), ...

My Wages Have Been Cut In Half Since Going From Transcribing To SR
May 27, 2014

My wages have been cut in half since going from transcribing to SR.  Anybody else? ...