A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The MTSOs have found another way to screw us -- Anyone have info on - MVTS - Medical Voice Technology Services

Posted: Apr 26, 2010

Looks like the MTSOs have found a new trick pony.  They tried to screw Medical Transcriptionists out of hard-earned money by trying to implement line counts based on VBC (visible black character), but very few MTs were willing to accept that, so not many MTSOs are still trying to push it. 

Now they have found their newest way to screw the MT -- “meeting quality” mandate in order for us to keep the minimum wage we currently make. 

Pay is set at .09 for 65 char line with spaces meeting 98% quality.

WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? 

Anybody hear rumors of any other MTSOs going to the “you will be docked if you do not meet QA?”  Where does this end?  Now it is 98% or you get docked.  What then?  100% or you have to pay the MTSO for “abusing their software” and end up working for free? 

This is getting ridiculous.  Does any other profession have people who stay up nights thinking of ways of screwing their employees as much as ours does? 

Not only does this company suggest a mandatory QA, but they want Independent Contractors to: 

MT must be willing to commit to a specific time and date schedule and some weekend work may be expected,

Must be able to consistently produce for a pre-committed period of time and adhere to a set schedule. 

Anyone currently work or previously worked for MVTS (Medical Voice Technology Services), out of East Bend, North Carolina?

How do they pay? 

Their ad indicates:  Pay is set at .09 for 65 char line with spaces meeting 98% quality. 

What do they actually pay? 

For the sake of our profession, if anyone works for them, please turn them in for abusing Medical Transcriptionists.  They have EMPLOYEES, not Independent Contractors. 

I wish there was a way to find out if docking pay because of not meeting QA standards is even legal, but I suppose anything in an Independent Contractor’s Contract is legal.  The MTSO would have to be deemed having Employees first, and then maybe the legality of docking pay could be put to the test. 

End of Rant

Thanks. 

MT is like any other job. If you are an employee, - sl

[ In Reply To ..]
and do not produce quality work you can be docked or put on probation or even fired. If they require 98% quality on reports, then there is nothing you can do about that. No one wants substandard reports going out. If you cannot meet your production requirement, as an employee, yes they can dock you, take away benefits, etc.

With the IC, they cannot set a mandatory schedule for you, but they can request a schedule from the MT. If they only have work during a set timeframe, however, and you cannot work those hours they are not required to give you work during the hours you "request" as your schedule.

Pay Dock - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I work on-site for a clinic (full-time employee). We have QA every 3 months and if we don't get 99% accuracy our pay is docked 5% until the next review. This is nothing new, many employers do it.

Just cuz "everyone it doing it" doesnt make is right. - What a draconian management style. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

would agree except for..... - MTangel

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that a MT should maintain at least 98% or better on the reports. However, does this company have a set standard for QA? The reason I ask this is because in the MT world QA is subject to who just happen to be doing the QA. For instance, there are differing opinions about commas. The job that I work does not want or care if you put a comma before the word "but" or "which", but some other companies may. Some want you not to put commas before "and" even if the phrase following it could be a complete sentence, but some companies do. Should I be docked for this? Do you see what I mean? I have been QA'd where the QA person was flat wrong, but hey, they are the QA, so would that mean I would get docked? Because there are no rules written in stone, I don't think that the docking is fare. I think that if the person is not doing quality work, then just let them go. Do not punish. That tactic rarely works anyway.

Also, we are talking IC. If a person I hired as a contractor was not doing a job that I felt they should do, I would not tell them I am going to keep them on, but at a lower rate. I just would not use that person again.

It would be one thing if they were docking people who - were making a good living. (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
But it's a whole 'nother thing when they're docking the pay of people who are already underpaid, working more hours than they're getting paid for, and who have little to nothing in the way of benefits.

TEACH your employees how to be better, and ENCOURAGE them to be better with the use of a good incentive program, and they WILL get better.

THREATEN, DOCK, "WRITE UP", or HARASS your employees for mistakes, and it will do nothing but encourage them to leave.

Oh. And for those of us with passive-aggressive blood running thru our veins? Continuous punishment will just make us want to make MORE mistakes, out of spite.

I meant fair and not fare.... - MTangel

[ In Reply To ..]
sorry for the mistake. I was typing and not proofing. It meant it is not fair.

Schedule - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
By the way, asking someone to work a set schedule is not abuse. If you worked on site or for any other employer, you would be expected to be on the job during certain hours. If your schedule calls for 1 weekend day as mine does, I'm expected to be there. I'm not sure how this can be construed as "abuse." Do you really think they lie awake at night thinking of ways to screw you over?

The factory where my father worked docked - kt

[ In Reply To ..]
employees 15 minutes pay if they were late to work 1 to 15 mins, 30 mins if 16 to 30 mins late, etc. Why do you think that an MT's job is any different. You can be fired for not sticking to guidelines, having pay docked, etc., just like anyone else.

My take: If you are in control of the - quality of your work SM

[ In Reply To ..]
and you are given the tools to do quality work, and then you fail to do so, I get it. Here is my problem: It is totally out of our control when dictators garble their dictation for whatever reason, and it is impossible to figure out what they are trying to say, you have to leave a blank in that report. Why should the MT be responsible for that? There is a third party involved in this, the dictator. You might be a top notch MT but the dictations are impossible.

Where I work we are not considered "at fault" if - straus

[ In Reply To ..]
the dictator cannot be understood. We are encouraged to send reports to QA if there is any question whatsoever and it is not held against us unless it is abused, i.e, something that could have be found with reasonable research. Our audits for quality are only on reports that were not submitted to QA, and we are required to have 98.5% quality or go on 100% QA for 2 weeks.

I'm with you - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. MedQuist has just started a program they call First Time Right and they are docking pay this month if your number of QA submissions goes over 10% of your total lines, and starting May 1 it will be over 5%. So, if you get a very long report by a very difficult dictator that one report could go a good way to putting you over the percentage per total lines submitted to QA for the pay period. Plus, if you're sending something to QA, you now have to remember to put a check in a little box when you go to upload the job. After so many years of not having to do that, I find myself remembering just as it's too late to catch it. Plus, I'm sure it's slowing all of us down as we are trying harder to avoid QA submissions. Striving for quality is good, but this is ridiculous. This company has ripped us off so much already. I'd love to quit and work in another field entirely, but Lord knows what I'd do instead.

Quality should be a #1 priority - rqCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I will start by saying I am not a "suit," but a hard working MT who is an employee of an MTSO. I think setting standards for quality is very important, and standards should be set high. We are producing documents which become a permanent part of someone's medical record and could potentially affect their care in the future. We require continuous education and knowledge to do our job, and personally I want my work to reflect this. I understand complaining about production standards and low pay, but I think requiring a high standard of quality is quite reasonable and essential to our profession. I think the only MTs who would have a problem with this are one's who are not able to produce quality scores of 98% or better. I am not saying this is true of the OP, but I think that this is a perfectly reasonable standard for a company to have. Just my opinion.

So an MT making maybe $10 to $20 an hour.... - J

[ In Reply To ..]
and is paid on a production basis should bear the full responsibility of the "quality" of the report, even for minor typos, punctuation, etc? Meanwhile, the person who, IMHO, is really responsible for the report, the dictator, (possibly making in excess of $200,000 a year) many of whom refuse to learn to speak English, dictate in a quiet place, speak clearly at a normal rate of speed, and on and on bear no responsibility for the quality of the report? Pleeze!

Yes, typos and punctuation errors fall on the MT. - jt

[ In Reply To ..]
If it is a typo or a punctuation error, it is the MT making the mistake, not the dictator. The MT is responsible for the report being transcribed correctly, just as the production worker on a factory line is responsible for their part of the procedure in making whatever it is. A report full of typos can be dangerous to the care of the patient. A minor typo, leaving a word out, using the incorrect word, etc., can make a big difference in a patient's treatment if the report is the only thing being reviewed by a consulting provider.
''typos and punctuation'' - Dee
[ In Reply To ..]
Such a silly post---chock full of exaggerations.

full responsibility - absolutely

[ In Reply To ..]
I take full responsibility for everything I transcribe. If there is a "minor typo", it's mine.

I agree - sssdt

[ In Reply To ..]
We all know quality and accuracy are important. No one needs to come here and lecture us on that. However, we also know problems happen, dictators say the wrong word or stumble or eat while talking. They can't speak English well, there are technical issues, etc. An MT who makes 8 cents a line on production getting docked for making a mistake while the doctor who can't be bothered to pronounce even common drug names properly never gets corrected is just wrong, in my opinion.

Not to mention QA people who don't know BOS or who change from day to day. That happened to me, one QA insisted it was "weightbearing" (which I use) but the other said "weight-bearing" and I'd get dinged depending on which QA was working that shift.

If there is an issue with an MTs quality, docking pay is not the solution. It's just an excuse to pay MTs even less.

Re: MT making $10-$20... - Great post!

[ In Reply To ..]
How ridiculous to suggest MTs should agonize because even punctuation and minor words will actually endanger lives. But no mention made about the responsibility of the author/the dictator of the report! What a bunch of baloney.

Any MT job is going to require at least 98% - QA scores. Would you

[ In Reply To ..]
want someone transcribing YOUR personal medical record meeting less than that score? Each company is different. Some you'll be out the door, some have a procedure in place to give you a chance and, yes, some dock your pay. There's really nothing new about QA scoring.

They can "require" it all they want, but until they pay - MTs better, so we can afford to - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
slow down and go over everything we type with a fine-toothed comb, mistakes will continue to happen. You can have it GOOD, or you can have it CHEAP. But you can't have BOTH. Cheap is as cheap does.

If that were the case, then anyone and anybody - can jump in and do our job

[ In Reply To ..]
according to your thinking. Achieving and maintaining 98% should be part of your normal working day. Everyone has an off day, but if you're consistently coming in at under 98%, maybe you're in the wrong business.
Ummm, everybody already IS "jumping in and doing - our jobs". Its called: "INDIA".
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Perhaps if more MLS did not feel that quality - should be required on their part
[ In Reply To ..]
there wouldn't be a need for doing this. If they are going to pay for junk it might as well be cheap junk, right? You'd be surprised though. Offshore work isn't as "junky" as you make yourself believe.
Correction more did not feel quality should NOT be - required.
[ In Reply To ..]
x

bear in mind, though.... - dc

[ In Reply To ..]
...that at certain companies, the QA "rules" vary from person to person. I've worked (briefly) for certain companies that have even given me samples of how they want things, had one QA person say "great job!" and had another dock me points way beyond 98% - and no, never for inaccuracies, rather for instances where they believe a comma should or should not go in a particular place, even when you can back up your reasoning with the AAMT Book of Style or any other sourcebook you want.

MVTS - Stay Away - Flygirl

[ In Reply To ..]
This company does overflow and account work for a major teaching hospital and they are difficult to work for. I worked for them in the past and found them to have too many "chiefs" telling MTs what to do and not enough "Indians" doing the work. My start pay was 0.06 cents per line until my counts were up and they were happy with my work and then it increased only to 0.8 cpl. The platform you have to work in for one the jobs posted is the hospital's platform that the hospital created and it is definitely not user friendly.

I worked there. No matter what I did, same pay every time. sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked extra days, extra hours, sped up...same pittence of a paycheck, obviously out of my control. Someone decided how much I needed to support my family knowing NOTHING about what that takes....someone made extra off of me.

Also, the account I was on had a line counter, but we could not run it. (RED FLAG)

Hated it, and schmoozin when questioned about the above, well, pushed me over the edge to find another position.

I do not endorse this company.

a company offered me a job with that exact requirement - sssdt

[ In Reply To ..]
They had a clause that they would hold ALL your pay if you did not meet their standards of quality on one report, but they didn't define said standards. I asked questions and was told they wouldn't answer until I signed the contract, so I ran far, far away.

They asked why I wouldn't sign and I told them. The lady replied back to me from her Blackberry in text speak to tell me why I was wrong. She typed something like "its tru we cover r (butts) w/that". So professional! And I'm so glad SHE could afford a Blackberry.

Similar Messages:

Found This Info When I Was Trying To Figure Out The
Jul 03, 2012

Higher utilization of offshore production and ASR leads to lower costs for us, which permits us to offer better pricing to our customers while at the same time contributing to margin growth. We have successfully migrated a significant portion of our volume offshore and we will continue these efforts. As technological advances and increased use of offshore resources have driven down industry costs, the average price per character has also declined as healthcare providers have sought to participa ...

Where Do I Find OOW/Remedy/six Minutes Info? Not Found In Policies.
Feb 12, 2014

nm ...

CURRENT Info Re Diskriter? Any Decent MTSOs? HELP!
Aug 12, 2010

I've been contacted re radiology position with Diskriter.  All the info I've found here on the board is pretty old.  I'm really curious as to what current/past employees think of the company now.  Anyone done radiology for them? Wondering about ESLs, pay rate, flexibility in schedule, NJA - basically all the standard questions we want answered before we make a jump to a company?  Help!  I've been an IC for one hospital for over 10 years but but r ...

MTSOs Posting Jobs Ads Need To Be A Little More Forthcoming With Info
Dec 12, 2014

Would it be such a problem to list all aspects, including pay, in the job ads?  MTSOs, could you please not go on and on about how great you are and give us information we need so as not to waste your time and ours?  Why make us jump through the hoops of resume, application, and testing.  This is a very time consuming process, especially since we will apply to more than 1 job?  In addition to equipment needed, IC/employee, platform, shift, etc., what is your production requi ...

Screw All Of This!
Jun 23, 2014

My 27-year-old son is diagnosed with lung cancer.  Do you honestly think I give a flip about theise errors?  I'm struggling to do my hours with this horrible company.  They could care less what I'm going through.  You have no idea what it feels like to hear your 27-year-old son has cancer! ...

Surgical Screw
Dec 03, 2009

In a total hip arthroplasty, s/l "Kinsella" screw was added for additional fixation. Can't find that screw. ...

A S/l *koby* Screw?
Sep 02, 2010

Help!!!! S/l Dital Turasacka Screw
Dec 07, 2009

This is for a knee replacement......I am blank ...

Help!! Thoracic Pedicle Screw
Sep 14, 2011

Oriental neurosurgeon, really butchering this report, says this screw about 100 times, sure s/l 4.0 x 30-mm Lexi screw.  Can't find. Please please help!!!! TIA ...

Joint Hand Screw
Apr 21, 2012

Looking if this is correct:  1.3 x 9 mm "AMI joint hand screw" or "AMIO hand screw" for a metacarpophalangeal joint fracture. ...

Need Help Please, S/l P To A Screw For ORIF Of Ankle?
Jun 08, 2012

x ...

Screw Improved Communication
Apr 17, 2013

OrthoHelix S/l Twistafix Screw??
Jun 13, 2013

OrthoHelix s/l twistafix 12 mm screws for shortening metatarsal osteotomies.  He says twistafix several times and clearly sounds like twistafix but I cannot verify it anywhere.   twist and fix?  twist-a-fix? ughhh  Thanks ...

Anyone Heard Of A (s/l) Mon-deal Cannulated Screw?
Sep 03, 2010

?? ...

Whoever Thought VR Up Needs To Be Slapped! VR Screw Up Inside...
Jan 30, 2013

This is what VR spit out.  "The patient appears obese but appears healthy and talks rectally."  ...

Screw Tracks Are Trialled At The L3, L4, L5 Levels.
Apr 16, 2013

My question is the word "trialled". The Rad is pretty clear. Any ideas? Is the word correct" ...

S/l Port Or Part Or Purt Screw Fixation .... Sm
Dec 11, 2012

Left hip open reduction, internal fixation with ORIF with S/L port/part/purt, screw fixation of the femoral neck fracture, doing well. ...

X-rays Reviewed That Show Protrusion Of The S/l Hellico Screw
Mar 09, 2010

x ...

Ortho Word - Possible Jarment (?) Of The Screw On The Medial Aspect Of Her Right Foot
May 03, 2011

Dictator says: "Possible jarment (?) of the screw on the medial aspect of her right foot." I heard "jarment" clear as day! ...

Ortho: Patient With SCFE. He Will Be Set Up To Have Surgery Tomorrow With An (s/l In-site To Screw
Nov 06, 2011

TIA :-) ...

S/l "on Foss" View-fluoroscopy-iliac Screw Placement
Feb 21, 2013

Using fluoroscopy, checking positioning of iliac screw on both AP and what s/l "on foss" views. Anyone know this term? Thanks in advance. ...

S/L "metafusion With Retrieval Plastic Screw Augmentation?"
Aug 18, 2011

S/L "metafusion with retrieval plastic screw augmentation?" Thanks! ...

"Oscar" Atrial Screw-in Wire
Dec 19, 2009

Looking for confirmation, can't find anything on the web .... is there an "Oscar" atrial screw-in wire? Thank you!! Anja ...

Ortho Surgery "Silok" Screw?
Nov 27, 2013

x ...

Think I Found My Out!
Sep 09, 2010

I think I have found my out of MTing finally.  I am going to try to be a home health aide.  It is perfect for me in every way!!  I am just so excited! ...

Look What I Found
Oct 28, 2011

I found the below on the Company Board, and wondered if this could be true? ... Because you've already put in your 40 hours. It is illegal to change your timesheets so they don't have to pay overtime. If they can't give you sufficient work and keep hiring people who take your work away from you, find a company that will give you enough work. Save the emails and send them to the department of labor. ...

I Just Found Out
May 13, 2012

I just found out that even though I am doing the minimal required lines (120) I am not earning minimum wage and so even if I increase my lines I won't make any more money....Until I am typing over 160 lines.   I am so angry.   Now they are pressuring me to get higher lines so I can get out of them paying minimum wage.  Which is insulting in itself.  I am going to try to do it and then be a benefited employee.  But I am just angry that 120 lines doesn' ...

Found This On FB......
Aug 18, 2013

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mmodal-inaugurates-new-medical-transcription-center-at-mysore-182340551.html   While not an MM employee, my heart goes out to all who got let go recently. ...

May Have Found A Way Out........
Aug 24, 2013

I have been in this (medical transcription) boat for a long time.  I have enjoyed it and been able to support myself.  The last few years I have been stubbornly trying to hang on and "ride the waves", but have finally gotten it through my thick head that this is NOT working for me anymore!  I hate what this industry has become!  Anyway, was looking on the website of our local technical college, and I think I have found something I may be interested in.  Going to lo ...

Found This On MSN....sm
Jun 18, 2015

BEST JOBS FOR WORKING AT HOME: Proofreader Average Pay: $18/hour Education: Bachelor's degree Medical Transcriptionist Average Pay: $17/hour Education: Associate's degree or one-year certification program Show me a company I can make $17/hour at. And proofreader....we already do that and again, not for $18/hour. ...