A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medical Data Services? Company or a small owner? - AT

Posted: Dec 03, 2010

7 cents a line for independent contracting and for radiology?  What is going on with this business?  The hospitals at least treated us with hourly wages and health benefits.  Now what gives?  For years we fought in-house over knowing that you cannot treat radiology the same and line count it the same either, yet you work just as hard.  Now, 7 cents without taking out taxes?  Every hospital I know has no transcription radiology department any more anyway, so maybe it is just trying to get applicants.  Layoffs were the first in radiology.  25 years of service...gone.  Pension...gone.   All VR. They were the first to go.  The docs do their own editing.  IF they send it to be checked, it is once in a while and you never know when, so you can sit for hours and keep checking...for nothing.  One girl would have 0 to 5 in an 8-hour period.  She was making 85 cents a report.  They USED to pay $1.25 a page.  Who knew that anyway?  Oh, you should not know that as now they can pay you 85 cents and make a profit.  Hospitals were made 'not for profit' yet here we do their work and the services are for profit.

They are a corporation - See message

[ In Reply To ..]

At least the Radiology position is 7 cents per line for a 60-character line.  In March and April of 2010 they had ads on MTStars where they were looking for Acute Care MTs and were paying them 7 cents per line for a 65-character line.  

But I think the line in their website says it all:  

All transcriptionists are scheduled on a daily duty roster.  If a transcriptionist is scheduled, they are expected to be working.  While working from home does allow for distractions, MDSI requires that all schedules be upheld per the scheduled roster without exceptionThis is not a “work when you want” corporation

Isn’t that the standard for an EMPLOYEE, not an Independent Contractor?  Someone should report this company to the IRS.  Not only are they paying paltry wages to their Independent Contractors, they are probably violating every rule of Independent Contractor status.  

I just cannot understand why ANYONE would work for this company.  But I guess when you have nothing, even paltry wages sound good.  

Good luck to anyone who applies and works for them in the future.  

As the devil's advocate... - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Doesn't any IC have a "deadline" to meet? When a construction contractor gives a bid, and the customer has a set time frame in mind, doesn't he or she try to meet that time frame? Kind of the same thing with MLS ICs, isn't it? If they have a set time frame to fill, it's up to the IC to decide if they want to do the job. Pretty simple?

Devil's Advocate - I think you are comparing apples and oranges - Just my opinion

[ In Reply To ..]

My opinion, there is a big difference between a deadline and absolute time.

Just curious, when was the last time you told your construction contractor that he had to show up on Monday at 8 a.m. sharp (no excuses) and had to stay until 5 p.m. (no leaving early – no working later), and that he had to do that every day, Monday through Friday?  Did he say “Sure, no problem!” or did he tell you to find another contractor?  If yours said OK, where do you live, I really need to hire him.  All my contractors show up whenever, leave whenever, never tell you they will not be back for 3 days, and then want more money when they finally do show up.  My plumber tells me he will be there “tomorrow – sometime in the morning – or maybe in the afternoon.”  There is no way I could demand that he show up at 10 a.m. sharp – he would walk right out the door.  But then, maybe I am just hiring the wrong people.  

Independent Contractors have deadlines – finish within 24 hours, you decide what hours.  

Employees have set times – you work 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., no changes.  

Medical Data Services sets a specific time – no exceptions.  

At least that is what the IRS says.  

Oh, I don't know about that.... - me
[ In Reply To ..]
We had a house fire several years ago and YES, I did tell the contractors I hired that they had to be here set times and had to have the job completed in 4 months. Mind you, this was a total reconstruct...we were in here by April 29.

So much for apples and oranges - it just depends on how you interact with who you are dealing with, not what the IRS dictates. Just my own experience.
i agree w/ "me" - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
ANY IC can and should be expected to do what he's hired to do within a reasonable period of time.

"apples and oranges" my foot.

do you think an MTSO (or its clients) would want to wait a week to get a report? would you think it acceptable for a painter to take six months to paint your living room?

days/hours can be negotiated by both parties, and once they've come to terms, any ethical IC would abide thereby.
Would you be kind enough to explain - Tammy
[ In Reply To ..]

I am sort of new to this, so please would you explain what the difference is between being an independent contractor and being an employee?  I have been working as an employee for a couple years and was thinking about taking an IC position, but now I am confused as to if there are any advantages to becoming an IC as opposed to staying an employee. 

I was trying to follow your replies and the way I was reading things, you believe it is okay for independent contractors to have set hours, as in – “You must work 8 AM to 2 PM Monday through Friday” (even though the IRS says independent contractors should only have an agreed upon time frame).  Is that correct?  

My understanding was that as an IC, you negotiate what time frame the client wants their work done in, but then the client goes away and you have to be professional enough to make sure the work is back to the client by the agreed upon time.  Say, it was 24 hours.  My understanding was that within those 24 hours, it is totally up to the IC as to exactly when they transcribe.  So, if you had midnight to midnight, and you had 6 hours of transcription to complete, as an IC you could:  Transcribe from midnight to 6 AM and be done for the day; transcribe from 8 AM to 2 PM and be done for the day; transcribe from 8 AM to 10 AM, got to a doctor’s appointment, transcribe again from 1 PM to 3 PM, go to a soccer game, and then transcribe from 9 PM to 11 PM (total of 6 hours);  transcribe from 6 PM to midnight and be done by the deadline; or any hours in between.  If you had a doctor’s appointment or a school meeting or whatever, you just went and took care of your personal life without needing to get it okayed by the client.  It was totally up to the discretion of the IC and how professional they were, to decide when the transcription would be done.  This kind of flexibility is what makes being an independent contractor preferable (to some people) to being an employee and that is why some MTs become ICs instead of employees. 

On the other hand, it is my understanding that as an employee, the employer gives you specific hours when they want you to transcribe.  If the agreed upon hours are 8 AM to 2 PM Monday through Friday, that is when you are expected to be transcribing.  If you have a doctor’s appointment or a school meeting or whatever, if it happens between 8 AM and 2 PM, you had to tell your employer that you would not be transcribing and maybe even request PTO to cover the hours that you did not transcribe. 

So basically my question is:  If you have set hours that you have to work as an IC, what is the advantage of being an independent contractor versus being an employee?  Why not just become an employee and let them pay half your Social Security and taxes; and get whatever benefits your company gives you (PTO, insurance, 401K, etc) that are not available to most ICs?  If you do not have the flexibility of transcribing whenever you want (within the time frame agreed upon) then why become an independent contractor?  I would really like an explanation as to what is the advantage?  Sorry for being so dense.  

Thanks for taking the time to explain this.  I do not want to change jobs if there is no advantage in doing so.  

A no-brainer - me
[ In Reply To ..]
An "Agreed upon time frame" is between the IC and the client and worked out thusly between them. A "schedule" is set by an employer such as 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., no negotiating. My theory as an IC is "I work my "job" around my life, instead of my life around my "job."
No brainer - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Working your life around your job does not apply to radiology, even on site. We had to provide 1-2 hour turnaround time on regular reports in addition to stat requests and flexed our hours and worked OT to provide coverage. I can understand why they are being so strict. You're lucky to be an IC and work when you want.

Similar Messages:

STP Medical Data Services, Inc.
Mar 23, 2010

Anyone know anything about STP Medical Data Services? ...

Medical Data Services
Jul 29, 2013

Does anyone know anything about this company and if they have much work available, how the pay is, etc.? ...

Medical Data Services - Any Experience
Nov 03, 2014

Has anyone had any experience or know anything of Medical Data Services?  I am a recent graduate and was referred to them by my school. Thanks for any input. ...

The Small Business Owner Side Of Things
Mar 24, 2014

I received a very sad email from a woman who stated (and I believe her) that she was a former MT with more than 2 decades of experience.  She was upset  at the pay scale listed in an advertisement she saw seeking independent contractors.  I own a very small transcription company which like so many others in our industry struggles to stay afloat.  It's true that wages are not what they once were in the heyday of medical transcription, but neither are the rates that client ...

SDVOSB Company Owner...
Apr 08, 2015

This should make a handful of VA Hospitals proud! Nothing like handling business matters in the grey bar hotel.  http://www.clerk-17th-flcourts.org/Clerkwebsite/BCCOC2/OdysseyPA/CaseSummary.aspx?CaseID=8033323&hidSearchType=party_case&DisplayCitation=yes&CaseNumber=15003522CF10A&SearchType= ...

Small Services That Use Bayscribe...(sm)
Jan 19, 2010

Could anyone tell me very small, small, medium-sized services that use Bayscribe?  This is a difficult thing to find and I've only located about 3.  Thanks!!! ...

What Does A Medical Data Abstractor?
Nov 02, 2011

What does a medical data abstractor do? Is this a remote job or an in-house job? Thanks in advance ...

Data Entry Or Medical Transcription?
May 13, 2011

It seems that more and more companies, including some hospitals, are paying per line but then expecting you to do data entry, which of course you are NOT paid for. Just a few examples: Acute care on Dictaphone ExText/Word Client -- faxing, etc. McKisson -- Looking up and changing orders for radiographic studies Rad job posted here -- Entering patient demographics If an employer expects me to sit there and do data entry -- which has NO shortcuts -- IN ADDITION TO transcibing, then they' ...

Small Company Vs MTSO
Sep 08, 2011

I am beginning to think it's better to work for a small company than a big MTSO.  So many of the comments on here are really not in favor of the "big boys."  I'm sure it's partly old employees that dislike the company, but there seems to be less "drama" about the smaller companies.  I would LOVE to find a small company that uses the Emdat Inscribe platform. Thoughts, ideas on the subject or tips on smaller companies who actually pay? ...

Looking For Small To Mid Size Company
Dec 01, 2014

So tired of the "Big" MTSO. Can anyone recommend a smaller company? I'm not really trained to do anything but MT and hate to give up working at home, but I'm probably considered poverty level now with what little I make. There must be some smaller companies around, but I can't find them. ...

Medical Coding In A Small Town
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering medical coding training and would like some recommendations for good programs. Also, I live in a town of about 15,000. We have a small hospital that is on the verge of closing due to $$ problems so I wouldn't count on getting a job there. The next closest hospital is 50 miles away. Could I make enough $$ to make up for the commute I would have to do every day? ...

Summit Transcription - Small Company. Anyone
Jul 27, 2010

work there?  I am always hesitant about small companies having enough work.  They seem nice. ...

TTS Recruiting AGAIN?? It's A Small Company With Bad History
Jul 05, 2011

I can't believe the management dumped more MTs.  One week they fired 7 MTs and we were asked to work extra even though usually we run out of work. Sounds like mismanagement is still the TTS way of doing things.  Wonder if the same owner and supervisors are there?  Anybody know?  ...

Small Versus Large Company?
Dec 15, 2011

I am wondering what the pros and cons are for working for a smaller company versus a larger one?  I work for a small company and this is the only one I have worked for, but find myself lately wondering if I need to move on as I am afraid that my skills I learned may be deteriorating and there has been such a lack of communication.  I realize that every place is different, but I need some opinions from others that have been in the field longer than myself.  Thanks. ...

Scan Medical Services? Nm
Feb 20, 2010

Anyone heard of them?  ...

MDI- Medical Dictation Services, Inc.
Jan 01, 2013

Anyone here work for MDI- Medical Dictation Services, Inc.? I did years ago, and I'm filling out an employment application. I need to know their contact number and zip code. It seems like there was something about them merging with Transcend last year or so, so are they known as Transcend now? Thanks so much for any help you can give. I'm googling it but not having much luck. ...

Does Anyone Work For A Small Company That Handles Private Practice?
Sep 04, 2014

I am looking for a smaller company that needs help with private practice transcription.  Does anybody know of one that needs help?  I can't find anything when I search.  I am currently going part-time at a large company to get them off of my back about how long I am glued to the keyboard and foot pedal and how much work I do per hour.  I have over 14 years of experience and I am good at what I do.  I want to work for a company that will appreciate that and not hound ...

LS Services- Anyone Have Information On This Company?
May 12, 2010

This company has been hiring fairly frequently so I wondered what the deal was with them. Good to work for, pay, etc. Thanks ...

STAT Medical Transcription Services
Oct 31, 2009

Does anyone have any information on STAT Medical Transcription Services??  Thanx ...

Need Info On MTS -Medical Transcription Services
Dec 03, 2009

Does anyone work for or have worked for MTS (Medical Transcription Services)?  Please tell me all of the good and bad things about this company.  Thanks in advance ...

Anyone Hear Of/know Anything About Aces UP Medical Services??
Jan 28, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this company at all? I am trying to find some oncology transcription work and came across one of their older job postings on the Internet. Thanks! ...

Anyone Know Of Advanced Medical Transcription Services?
May 21, 2010

Anyone know anything about this company out of NJ?   ...

FastChart Or Applied Medical Services
Jun 06, 2011

Can anyone tell me anything good, bad or indifferent about this company? ...

Medical Voice Technology Services
Oct 20, 2011

Hi:  Has anybody heard of Medical Voice Technology Services located in South Carolina?  Any information would be helpful.  Thanks. Fondly, Suzanne ...

Anyone Every Heard Of Applied Medical Services?
Mar 28, 2012

? ...

Encore Professional Medical Services
Aug 29, 2012

Any information on this company? Do they hire transcriptionists for their accounts or are they some sort of a medical employment agency?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much. ...

Ok, I Will Ask: Medical Transcription Force Services
Sep 27, 2012

Dear Alice, You are aware that you are not, in fact, the owner of the platforms as mentioned in your ad, right?  We are not that naive "MT Force Communications, which owns our well-known and widely-used platforms, eScription, Dictaphone Enterprise Speech System and Beyond TXT." ...

Keystrokes Just Bought The Company I Work For. Are All Small Companies Being Sold?
May 31, 2011

I like that I will be an employee and that the office people are staying on with them.  I hope that this is good and that they don't try to get rid of us; I really love the account I am on.  Anyone else from MED-X here? ...

Iridium Services - Anyone Work For This Company?
Feb 25, 2010

Does anyone work for this company?  Could you tell me about your experience?  TIA     ...

MSLA/Medical Services Los Angeles Out Of Pasadena, CA
Feb 20, 2010

Has anyone ever heard of this company? A little worried because when you ask about pay no one is sure when you get paid. When you talk to another person then you get the pay dates and the excuse is because the are a new recruiter...okay..They pay different than most places by paying you a flat fee per job and about 60% of the notes are templated out. Just want to make sure they are legit. Do not want to work for free!  Any info would be appreciated. Feel free to email me if need to.  T ...