A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The small business owner side of things - Southeasterner

Posted: Mar 24, 2014

I received a very sad email from a woman who stated (and I believe her) that she was a former MT with more than 2 decades of experience.  She was upset  at the pay scale listed in an advertisement she saw seeking independent contractors.  I own a very small transcription company which like so many others in our industry struggles to stay afloat.  It's true that wages are not what they once were in the heyday of medical transcription, but neither are the rates that clients were once willing to pay in a more robust economy coupled with our offshore competition.  After paying an office manager, proof reader, mileage to and from client sites, server and software fees...no, it doesn't come to us small owners for free...along with Error and Omissions Insurance and an ever increasing power bill it's been very hard to stay afloat.  Most of our MTs work part time.  Some home school their kids, others work in education and type during the evenings.  What we offer is certainly not for someone who needs to make their sole income on typing.  There have been months when we've had to forgo our own paycheck in order to make certain that our MTs were taken care of because we were waiting for clients to pay their invoices. We've also gone through a personal experience with cancer and all of the frustration and expense that entails.  I don't write this for anyone to have pity on me nor to rationalize what we do, but it should be known that most small business owners are good people who try to do their best in what is arguably the worst economy in our lifetimes.  Business owners take on the risk of failure.  We don't clock out, no one pays our benefits, we don't take governmental assistance and our government certainly doesn't look out for us regardless of the party in office.  I hope anyone who reads this chooses to look at all sides of business iissues in our profession and as Saint Francis said, "seeks to understand as to be understood."  I don't normally respond to self righteous criticism, but it's been a heckuva month and we're doing our level best to raise our family and take care of our associates in the only manner in which we're currently capable. Have a great week.

Small business owner - mtinmi

[ In Reply To ..]
I understand what you are saying, but you are now suffering the pain companies such as yours caused by going in and taking over in-house transcription by offering a less expensive way to do the work. Yes, technology has had a large part in the demise of transcription, but this all began with the MTSO. Maybe you didn't outsource to India but many did. So don't whine about what you are going through, your type of business caused more pain than you can imagine.

small business owner - pookatina

[ In Reply To ..]
As I look at myself too, taking this at home job, I realize that those of us working at home have taken jobs away from someone else who had better pay and benefits and they lost our job to us, so we could work at home to be paid per line with no benefits, etc. as contractors, so now that we're facing our problems maybe we got what was coming to us. It just isn't a business worth working in anymore, too many worries and too low a pay.

small business owner - mtinmi

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not referring to those of us working, I am referring to the services that go in and then offer the in-house transcriptionists a job for peanuts because they are taking all the work. Most facilities used services for "overflow" work, which was necessary but it went way beyond that.

Pain - Southeasterner

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, I didn't take over in-house transcription, rather started with small practices and grew with them, but I understand your frustration and am sorry you felt I was whining. Thanks for your post. :)

Southeastener - mtinmi

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, let me apologize for being rude and assuming you had taken over in-house transcription jobs. It sounds as if you have suffered the same as us MTs from those large companies. No I do not understand the business side. I do hope things improve for you not only business-wise but in your personal life as it sounds as if you have had a hard road to travel.

Now thats the kind of owner I would like to work for. - Hard working and honest.

[ In Reply To ..]
Very refreshing!

I appreciate your post. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you, OP, for posting such an honest letter. I don't think it's the small businesses like yours that took our profession down the dumpster. I think it's the huge companies, the ones whose managers have never transcribed a word in their lives, the greedy ones who could easily pay their MTs better but instead live in luxurious homes and drive expensive cars.

I believe every word you say, OP. As Americans, we have the right to be entrepreneurs and own businesses. It used to be the American dream. Nowadays, it's more of nightmare.

Southeasterner - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
As a former MTSO, I just wanted to give you some support. I finally left the profession after a huge squid ate my clients. I think many MTs, as good as they may be at MT, do not have much knowledge about the business side of things, and many of them tend to paint all MTSOs with the same huge, unthinking brush. They do not realize that some of us really went out of our way to pay fair wages (11 cpl!), that we cared about those we worked with, we fought for their rights (I have taken on the AHDI more than once, back in its prior incarnation as AAMT), and that we have been hurt as much from the giant companies as have the MTs themselves. When I see a post that says "Those d**n MTSOs," I cringe. Yes, there are those companies out there. Yes, there are dishonest MTSOs (and MTs as well) out there. But I truly wish that we could get rid of this "us" and "them" mentality. I have a good friend who is the owner of a mid-sized MTSO and she is struggling. So it isn't like you just become an MTSO, hang out your shingle, and make your downpayment on a Bentley. It isn't that way now, and really never was. Anyway, just to say I support you. I am glad to be old and retired, enjoying Dobermans and Rotties.

Similar Messages:

Medical Data Services? Company Or A Small Owner?
Dec 03, 2010

7 cents a line for independent contracting and for radiology?  What is going on with this business?  The hospitals at least treated us with hourly wages and health benefits.  Now what gives?  For years we fought in-house over knowing that you cannot treat radiology the same and line count it the same either, yet you work just as hard.  Now, 7 cents without taking out taxes?  Every hospital I know has no transcription radiology department any more anyway, so may ...

Endoside Or End-to-side Repair (small Bowel)
Oct 25, 2010

Someone had some small bowel removed and an ____ repair.  I can't tell whether she is saying endoside (which I can't find) or end-to-side (which I'm also not finding much pertaining to the bowels).   Tx. ...

Small MT Business Insurance
Feb 24, 2014

For those of you who own your own small MT business, can you advise me if liability insurance is a requirement?  Do you recommend this or is it even cost-effective? Thanks for any help.  Please ONLY those who actually have their own business.  Not just opinions.  Thanks! ...

Going Digital - I Run A Small Transcription Business
May 16, 2012

Hi, I need some advice.  I run a small transcription business (me, myself and I) and my doctors are still using casettes (I know, they are die-hards).  I am trying to switch over to digital and need some advice as to the best equipment to use.  I only have about five doctors so I don't want' to go into too much expense.  Can anyone give me any ideas for inexpensive call in systems and digital transcribers? Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks. Marj ...

Sounds Like Blake Side Or Plate Side Drainage
Jun 16, 2015

transcribing cardiology report. Patient has an LVAD and what sounds like "blake side" or "plate site" drainage treated with antibiotics. I am stumped. ...

Medicak INK - Looking For The Good Things/bad Things
Aug 23, 2013

Considering making a move to this company.  Spoke with owner and she sounds delightful. Just wondering if anyone has any info on the company...anything at all!  Thank you! ...

Small Mouth Or Small Mouthed?
Jul 27, 2014

And is it hyphenated, or not? I find it both ways for both questions. Looking for input from the pros here, thank you. ...

What Does This Mean? MM Owner Will
Aug 16, 2013

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/6/17/mmodal_owner_will_soon_split_from_jpmorgan   M*Modal owner will soon split from JPMorgan Published June 17, 2013 by Geert De Lombaerde JPMorgan Chase officials say they will soon spin out One Equity Partners, the private-equity firm that last year bought M*Modal for $1.1 billion. The firm, which manages $4.5 billion worth of investments, will continue to manage its current portfolio and sell off its ...

Owner Complaints About ICs
May 13, 2011

Is there anywhere on this website that it is appropriate for owners to post about people who have been ICs with your company and you would like others to know about their work quality, etc?  I am just so fed up with we, as the owners, being put down about we did this or that, but we, as the owners, never have a say about the ones we weed out of our company because of work quality, etc.  Just upset and venting...but I would like to know if there is an area to post this information. ...

What Is The Name Of Our Owner From India?
Sep 13, 2011

n/m ...

How Many Of You Have Actually Emailed The Owner
May 18, 2012

of the company you work for and told them you will not put up with things any longer?  Just curious:) ...

SDVOSB Company Owner...
Apr 08, 2015

This should make a handful of VA Hospitals proud! Nothing like handling business matters in the grey bar hotel.  http://www.clerk-17th-flcourts.org/Clerkwebsite/BCCOC2/OdysseyPA/CaseSummary.aspx?CaseID=8033323&hidSearchType=party_case&DisplayCitation=yes&CaseNumber=15003522CF10A&SearchType= ...

Landmark Transcription - The Owner Overhires
Nov 17, 2010

The owner overhires.  She gets very excitated about hiring and runs the business like a hobby.   She is a very nice lady but does not have a clue how to run a business.  This way why the recent pschy position was ignored.  Do not know if it was filled. ...

Tonya Hubley.owner, Omnisribes
May 15, 2013

What is it like working for this woman as an MT, her work ethics.  ...

Almost Every Paycheck I Get Is Wrong In The Owner's Favor
Apr 18, 2014

Has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this? Sometimes it's only a few dollars, other times it can be up to $20-30+ per pay period. Although I keep records of what I do, there is no real way to verify this with my employer. I have sent many emails asking for verification of my pay/production but never even get the courtesy of a response. I keep thinking that if she does this to all of  her employees, she must be making quite a bit of money just by skimming the paychecks of all her ...

Owner/pay Rates - Br FORWARDED FROM JOBS BOARD
Jan 19, 2011

This was posted on the jobs board.  Let's get some dialogue going on this, shall we?   owner/pay rates - br Posted: Jan 19th, 2011 - 3:37 pm I own an MT company (used to be a full time MT) and have MTs submitting resumes and requesting pay rates at .10 cpl or more.  There's no way I can pay this rate and still keep my company afloat.  Partly due to the economy, I can't charge my clients very much or else they will drop me and move onto someone else (i.e. In ...

Small-bowel Versus Small Bowel
Jun 08, 2015

I've always just used "small bowel," but then noticed most put "small-bowel," I assume to differentiate it as being part of the intestine as opposed to a small, or little bowel.  Okay, that makes sense, so I stated hyphenating small-bowel.  However, I just got marked off by QA for putting in a hyphen!  No matter what you do or don't do, you're screwed!  I do believe they just look for ways to antagonize so you'll never feel appreciated.  ...

MT On The Side?
May 29, 2013

I've been working as an RMT for about 6 years, but I miss working with patients, so I'm thinking about going back to medical assisting for the benefits, but doing MT on the side.  Anyone here have any experience with a similar situation?  ...

Side Affect
Dec 21, 2009

She has severe arthritis in the hips which is chronic and was attributed to previous use of steroids and due to cause (divedious). What could this word be? Does anyone know? ...

GI Side Effects, ??
Oct 15, 2010

"PMR - Methotrexate – GI side effects, s/l pratenazone.  Plaquenil 8/10-10/10 – nausea/vomiting.  Prednisone restarted 10/10." I'm not sure if she's describing the GI side effects or if she's describing another type of side effect, or maybe a different medication they tried instead.  There is nothing that sounds like that in the med list, except maybe prednisone, but that was restarted in place of the Plaquenil. ...

Q For The Spheris Side
Dec 10, 2010

I have a question, I used to work for Spheris about 5 years ago and am starting with MQ part time first of the year (on my old account even), but I higihly suspect they have switched that platform from TWS. Question is what platform do they use, is it good?  Do they supply ShortHand or do I need to furnish my own?  Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks  ...

S/l Side Rigger Jig
Mar 07, 2011

Please help me with the words I have in quotation marks. I spelt it how it sounds. Thanks for any help in advance :) The "side rigger jig" was used to make an impression on the skin where the lateral spiral screw guide impacted the skin. ...

Dina Still A TL? She Was On WMX Side.
Jun 30, 2012

. ...

Has Anyone On Transcend Side
Dec 11, 2012

heard from their TSM today after the conference call or heard anything regarding the changes prior to today? Thanks ...

Employee Job With IC On The Side
Sep 23, 2013

If you are an employee and you get laid off do you still get unemployment benefits if you have an IC job with another company?  thanks.  ...

Does Having An IC Job On The Side Interfere
Feb 24, 2014

I live in IL and I've looked this up, but can't really find exactly what I'm looking for.  I could possibly lose my full-time employee position soon, and work just a few hours as an IC for another company.  I was wondering if I should quit my IC job now, or if that would be a red flag when I file for unemployment.  Another thing I've read is that if you accept an IC position while on unemployment, that since it is considered "self-employed" that it could possib ...

Anyone Here From Ambulatory Side?
Jun 25, 2014

I was just wondering if anyone posts here that work for the Nuance Ambulatory Care side of things.  All I see here are what appears to be posts from the acute care side and they are not very favorable.  I will probably get hung on this board for saying this, but so far things are pretty good on this side of the fence.  Same managers, same good accounts, plenty of work.  Flexible schedule.  Not crazy about all the logging in to everything (WorldClient, WebClock, Spark), b ...

Going To The Dark Side
Jul 17, 2014

I now work full time for an MTSO that does Nuance overflow and am relatively happy there.  The problem is I need to work part time for several important reasons which I won't go into.  Well to do so, I would have to accept a lower line rate (told thems the rules) and have to work fewer hours than I really need to (again told thems the rules).  I was thinking I might just do better working directly for Nuance with probably a better line rate and ability to work the number ...

For Those On Ambulatory Side
Aug 07, 2014

Do you have a set schedule?  From what I read this is more flexible and people seem happier.  Any input would be great! ...

Tried To Get Into Dep Side Of Fluency
Sep 10, 2014

Says account inactive...Anyone else? ...