A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IMPORTANT! New career for MTs and to get out - of MTSO companies for good!

Posted: Aug 18, 2011

I have been enrolled in college for the last year while still working.  Found out today about a whole new carrer that has just come out and being created because of EHR/EMR and now being offered and will become even more popular.

My teachers in college informed me of a meeting they had in the city where I live.  This meeting was held with physicians, PA's, NP's, MT's, Medical Assistance, nurses, etc. 

Because of EHR/EMR, most doctor's (about 78%) do not like the point and click method of dictation.  The other physicians who do are usually young and computer savy.  These few physicians who are computer savy happen to do very well when they are in the exam room during a patient physical and are able to not only type their own dictation on the computer in front of patient, but also have good patient contact at the same time.

The other 78% of the physicians "despise" being with a patient at the same time having to type info in the computer.  In fact, physicians are losing patients because of this problem.  The patient feels the physician does not care about them as a "patient" and feel their computer is more important.  Also is taking too much time for physicians to have to type or point and click info while examining the patient.  Physicians are not liking what is happening with the transcription work by having to pay high costs to MTSO companies and also physicians are not wanting the work sent to other countries.  To much HIPAA liabilities.  

TO FIX THIS PROBLEM?????  The medical staff and personnel have decided to create a new job called (several names) Scribers, or MA Scribers, or medical scriber, or med scribe, or medical assistant scribers.  No, this is not related to MedScribe the company. 

Here are a couple of websites of medical scribers: 

https://ochsner.myvurv.com/main/careerportal/Job_Profile.cfm?szOrderID=12810

http://www.medicalscribe.org/

This new career is taking off.  I am currently in a medical assisting program and with my knowledge of medical transcription for 20 some years, this will help me to get a job.  You can work in clinics, hospitals, etc.   

The Medical Scribe will document the patient's history and physical, the physician's interaction with the patient, the procedures performed, the results of laboratory studies, and other pertinent information. This may be accomplished by using a COW (computer on Wheels) which the Medical Scribe takes with him or her throughout the shift.  The Medical Scribe may also be responsible for ordering laboratory/radiology studies, assisting with the patient's disposition documenting consultations, and notifying the physician when important studies are completed.

This whole new career is taking off and physicians have voted for wanting to have their dictation in-house or rather in-clinic settings by having a scriber.  Physicians are not so much into the point and click method and prefer  a human being to help them through this process of dictation and the future of EMR/EHR because in the long run, it will be more cost-effective to have a human being do the work then a computer operated by an MTSO company, especially overseas. 

You can apply to FASFA which is free and fill out the information.  This will help you not only pay for your schooling, but also give you extra money to help live on if needed, although you do have to pay it back with no interest or little interest.  Check your local community college???  

Hope this helps, but I am extremely very excited about learning this information today.  It should give us all hope and if we all get employed with this new career, then we get to leave MQ and start making the average of 38,000 a year as a scriber with awesome benefits.  We can leave the board of directors scrambling and trying to find newbies to fill our positions or better yet, how about the board of directors sit and edit the dictation for the measely 4 cents a line to fill in the gap.  Smile

new job, old skills - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Also, unit secretaries utilize many of the skills and knowledge we have. True, the pay may only be slightly better than currently, but the gain in benefits more than makes up for it. Food for thought.

Exactly, I want benefits. - Major benefits.

[ In Reply To ..]
Especially after working for one company for 25 years, one would think they should get at least 4-6 weeks worth of vacation days a year?? Instead of 3 DAYS a year??? No sick days and work every fricken holiday???

I JUST WANT TO BE APPRECIATED and not treated like a sweat shop worker.

Scribes - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't want to burst your bubble here, but I have seen ads for medical scribes to work in the ER at my local hospital. These positions are being advertised to medical students to help them gain more experience and make a little cash on the side. They were paying $9 per hour. That's not enough for me compared to what I used to make as an MT (before all of the pay cuts). I don't think you would need any additional schooling to be a scribe if you are an MT now.

This is what I have found as well. - splabbit

[ In Reply To ..]
-- targeting med students, not great pay, although I have seen mention of $15-$20 an hour in larger cities. I was excited at first blush too but not any more.

I can't see where schooling would ne necessary for this. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Not impressed because - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry but my whole reason for liking the MT profession is being able to stay home! Can't do that as a Scribe.

You also lose incentive pay via production!!!! - not impressed

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

medical scribes - spitfire78

[ In Reply To ..]
In the area where I live, the only scribes we have are med students, residents, PAs or NPs. That's it. Others need not apply. We have a fairly decent size med school and a couple of nursing schools around also, so there are too many already out there for MTs to fit in anywhere...besides, a lot of those who are scribes work for ESL docs who can't be understood in the first place!

scribes - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I knew about scribing a while ago. I happened to pick a site where it was being taught at a hospital, I think it might have been called scribes or medscribes or something like that. It is just a matter of time for this to take off. The one place where they are now doing it is in the Emergency Rooms. They walk around with the computer on wheels and are with the physician as he examines the patient's in different rooms. I think it is pretty cool and would be a lot more fun to do than just sit there at a desk all alone.

ick - no way I want to be in the room for exams and - bet the pt does not appreciate it either.

[ In Reply To ..]

NO WAY I would want an office worker in the room while I was being examined and wonder how much liability can be found in that.

NO WONDER this is offered to med students and PAs. that is where it belongs.

scribers - mar0622

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm with you! For me there are too many people in the room with just the doctor and/or nurse let alone someone with a computer watching everything. Also I hate the docs who have their little laptops and typing on them when I was in the ER at the local hospital. I told her that those things were part of the reason I'm losing my job and she said to me not once, but twice and emphatically.."I LOVE IT." I'm sure she does..all the way to the bank.

I found a good article about that - Check it out

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.mtexchange.com/medical-transcription-exchange/medical-transcription-to-scribing/

wasn't impressed. - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
Scribes have been around quite a while. Answered an ad for an ENT scribe to follow him around and transcribe as he examines his patients. The pay was $17 an hour (less than what I average now as an MT). I would have to buy uniforms, get into the city traffic everyday, buy lunches, make small talk with patients while waiting for the doc to come into the room (not a fan of that for sure), see stuff I don't want to see (again, not a fan). I guess I am just too comfy sitting at home in my comfy clothes, at my comfy desk in the quiet, and working at my own pace. To each his own.

I've looked into it, but 2 things are deal-breakers - s/msg

[ In Reply To ..]
for me:

In some jobs, they're actually looking for physician's assistants. The scribe part is just an added duty.

I just read a job for an E.R. scribe. The problem with that one is you have to be "able to stand for long periods of time, writing on a clipboard."

With a delicate back like mine, standing for long periods of time just isn't in my repertoire.

for me with the ER scribe, the blood and guts would be the - deal breaker. my passing out is not pretty

[ In Reply To ..]
nuff said

No kidding. If I had the stomach for that, I'd just be a nurse! - LOL

[ In Reply To ..]
x

ER scribe - pumpernickel

[ In Reply To ..]
My step-sister is a scribe in an ER in a city about 250,000 in population. She got the job partly because she was almost done with a degree in psychology and partly (or more) because she had connections. Apparently it's a hard job to get there because a lot of people want to do it. She works 3-11pm and gets $12/hour. At first she really enjoyed it, hearing people's stories, etc., but she's lost her enthusiasm now between the late work shift, standing for so long, and the mundane tasks.

personally...my view - anonmt

[ In Reply To ..]
First - I'd never go to school for this after over 30 years transcribing.

Second - If I ever go to a doctor who has one of these scribers in the room that is not a doctor, RN, LPN, med student, or PA - I'll leave before undressing, thank you very much.

Third - If a physician sits there and does this while talking to or examining me - I will simply insist he put it down and do it on his time, not mine.
Or I will leave, making sure he knows what technology has done to this particular sector of the unemployed.

Really, this sounds like yet - another underpaid, overworked

[ In Reply To ..]
crap hospital job. No thanks. Only ways to make $$$ in a hospital, MD, RN, tech, administration. Anything else you might just as well flip burgers.

agree - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

My experience with an ER scribe - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Two months ago, my mom was admitted for two small strokes within 10 min. The ER had one scribe working. Our "room" was 10 feet from the nurses station where he sat. Our curtain was open for 7 hours so I had a lot of time to watch what they did. When it was our turn to have the doc come in for the exam, the curtain was drawn and the scribe stood outside of it, but close to the opening so he could hear what the doctor said.

I was sitting in the room at the opening, so I was able to see what he was doing, and I tell you, the information that was put in was less than a point and click system - and it was incorrect! The doctor had to spell out every medical term to Mr. Scribe - every one of them! When I got the report, I was disgusted. The history was incorrect - they only listed one fall due to stroke when in fact there were 2 and those two were within 10 min of each other which was extremely important info! Current medication dosages were incorrect. The list goes on and on. If Mr. Scribe typed 25 words total I would be surprised. And I know he didn't go back and fill anything in because I sat across from him for another 5 hours and all he did after each patient was sit there on a stool, talk to the nurses about non-shift related stuff, and wait for lab results. He was in college to be an MD.

I was also at that same ER last week for four hours with my daughter's boyfriend who dislocated his shoulder. They had 2 scribes on, but neither of them were used for our exam or the procedure, so I'm not sure what determines when they get used and when they don't. And the ER was at about the same capacity both times.

Scribes....a joke as far as pay - wastedcareer

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you kidding me? I read an article in a CA newspaper stating that they pay their scribes something like 9.00 an hour. If that will support your family, I say go for it! Good luck with that!

Similar Messages:

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

Which Is More Important?
May 25, 2012

When researching medical transcription programs, I hear conflicting information on whether it is more important to have the RMT credential or to take a program that includes internship for the experience requirements.  Can you tell me which is more important in the real world of transcription? ...

WHAT THE ***? IMPORTANT!! ALL MUST READ!
Dec 17, 2009

The HITECH Act: Will You Be Fine, or Fined? FRANKLY, OUR GOVERNMENT SUCKS BIG TIME!  I AM STILL USING A WORK COMPUTER, IS THAT GOOD OR NOT??? Under the new Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH Act) that takes effect this upcoming February, you as a transcriptionist could now be directly liable for any private health information (PHI) that is stolen or somehow reaches the public domain. That could include any transcriptions you produce that are emailed ...

Regarding HIPAA - This Is Important For MTs
Jan 28, 2010

if we are to be held responsible for any kind of so-called 'security breach' which can be so easily manipulated to either just get ridf US MTs or at least make life a iving ____ for those of us left in these jobs (for example, if your reports are not 100% perfect - because 98-100% would no longer make sense because an error is an error and all are a security risk and breach - (this is so ridiculous I almost cannot even write it)); however, an MT can and will be fired for such?  Im ...

IMPORTANT! Every MT/MME Needs To Read This!
Mar 03, 2010

Just spoke to someone I know in TAA/Unemployement office.  FIRST TIME RIGHT is a gray area. We can fight this because it is a gray area. It is not right that if a doctor dictates and we cannot understand what they are saying for sure and we can get docked in pay, literally take money from us.  IT IS NOT LEGAL.   That is probably why the big bosses are on this board to see what they can get away with.  We have every right to fight them.  It is just wrong!  I WAS ...

Important/New Disease
Jul 02, 2010

Cancer of the breath.  Documented Source of Information:  ASR. (P.S.  Catch her...)   ...

If You Are An RMT, Is Having A Degree Still Important?
May 16, 2011

Hi all. I plan on taking the RMT test soon and feel confident of passing. My question is, if I do get the title, will employers care that I don't have a formal education in MT?... Would passing the test serve as adequate indication that I know enough to qualify? Thanks in advance. ...

IMPORTANT! NEW CAREERS FOR MTs.
Aug 18, 2011

I have been enrolled in college for the last year while still working.  Found out today about a whole new carrer that has just come out and being created because of EHR/EMR and now being offered and will become even more popular. My teachers in college informed me of a meeting they had in the city where I live.  This meeting was held with physicians, PA's, NP's, MT's, Medical Assistance, nurses, etc.  Because of EHR/EMR, most doctor's (about 78%) do not like ...

Why Proofreading Is Important
Aug 22, 2012

I just saw this sentence in a job posting on another MT site: I am looking specifically for someone for weekends first not weekdays, please do not reply if you are willing to work weekends.   ...

Important Question
Oct 21, 2012

I am asking for opinions and suggestions only...no bashing, please. I "worked" for a client as an IC for a total of one week, two dictations, equalling about MAYBE $40 in pay. I have not actually counted lines, so I don't know. This "client" and I did not see eye to eye on MANY things and I decided it was not in my best interest to continue working for her, so I gave notice that I was "done."  She continues to email me even though I have stated in no uncertain terms that I was done, a ...

Someone Here Said We Should Save All Important
Jan 13, 2015

but how do you do this?  I tried to forward an email to another email address and it gets blocked (restricted - can't send).  If you get laid off/fired you lose access to your email immediately.  So I don't understand how someone here saves any on these emails.  ...

Important Questions
Jan 13, 2015

I am desperate to find a new path after being laid off from mgmt when my job was outsourced to India.  I can no longer support myself doing production and HAVE to find a new career.  I'm leaning towards coding but am hoping for some answers before taking the plunge and spending money I basically don't have.  Forgive me if these questions have been asked before, and thanks in advance for any help/advice you may have. If I successfully complete a reputable course and get ...

Does Anyone Else Have A Pet That Just Insists They Are Far More Important
May 27, 2015

than any work you have to do?!? I have a 70-pound dog insisting on trying to climb in my lap or just plain knocking my hands off the keyboards today! He's keeping me entertained though. ...

Important Info
Jun 22, 2015

http://m.thehindubusinessline.com/features/smartbuy/tech-news/nuance-transcription-services-on-a-hiring-mode/article7223533.ece/ ...

So If Demographics Aren't Important Enough For The
Jan 20, 2010

Why are we getting multiple e-mails about spending extra time on them because HIPAA is so important these days?    ...

Good Insurance Is More Important To Me Than Anything. Any
Jun 24, 2011

medical insurance with decent coverage ($500-$1000 deductible, 10% copay for tests, hospital stay, ops, etc), single premium employee contribution no more than $250 monthly.    ...

Webmedx MTs/QA Terminated - IMPORTANT!!
Sep 02, 2010

We can request a petition for Trade Adjustment Act assistance be filed against Webmedx because of the nature of this termination (reduction in force) and more than 3 MTs/QA were terminated.  Each one of you who was terminated: 1.  Immediately contact your state's Department of Workforce Services.  (A)  File an unemployment claim immediately.  (B)  Request that a TAA petition be filed.  Use the Atlanta location (Corp Office) and Pittsburgh location (Opera ...

What Do Hospitals Deem Important?
Oct 06, 2012

My friend works for a local hospital that I used to work for.  That institution just recently outsourced their MT department to Nuance. The hospital has hired a "Life Coach" to direct their "Learning and Development" department.  They have announced that the L&D section will be "massively expanding" in the near future.  Their mission is to come up with new worthless slogans (like they one they had in place when I worked there) to put on posters plastered all over the hospital ...

The Big, Important Meeting Today
Apr 17, 2013

I'm surprised no one has protested the fact that absolutely nothing was said about the NJA situation today, or what that means to our future working for MM. Why are our jobs no longer available? Will more be forthcoming? Will we be stuck with either no work or work from many different hospitals we're not familiar with? What is the immediate future of the American MT/ME? This whole situation depresses me terribly. Seeing our profession go under is like experiencing the death of a ...

Is It Important To Take A Coding Program That Is
Jul 29, 2013

or does it mostly boil down to going to a school with a good curriculum and then getting a certification? I'm trying to decide between a community college program and Career Step.  The community college program, I won't be able to graduate from until 2015, which seems like forever, but with Career Step, I could be done in a year from now.  Career Step is AHIMA approved, and MModal (my current employer) told me that the AHIMA approval is important. ...

Important To Consider If You Work As An IC On VA Accounts And
Aug 09, 2013

There are several threads on the Company Board about this right now.  The McNamara-O'Hara Service Contract Act provides that if you work for an MTSO and you are working on Veterans Administration (VA) or other federal contracts, you must be classified as an employee and be paid a prevailing hourly wage with some specific benefits.  You can file a complaint anonymously with the Department of Labor in the state in which your MTSO is located.  I have spoken to several people at ...

Lack Of Important Communication
Oct 22, 2013

There really needs to be a change in the level of meaningful communication.  A couple of weeks ago all of a sudden, there were no status updates.  It went from 2 a day even on the weekends to nothing for a week.  When I finally got one, the supervisor explained they were trying to determine how the work flowed without the status updates.  If I was a supervisor, that would scare me because it sounds like they are looking at ways of having less management personnel.  But, ...

3 Very Important Questions Have Surfaced So Far
Mar 11, 2014

Before moving forward and signing a contract for this position, it sounds like the 3 most important questions that keep coming up are: 1.  What can we expect to be paid after the training is complete.  If this isn't important to you then no big deal, but for most of us it was a very important element suspiciously missing from yesterday's email and no one should EVER sign a contract of employment (especially for 2 years) without FIRST knowing and being clear about what they w ...

Important Work? Couldn't Be
Aug 07, 2014

It's ironic how we get emails about how important we are to patient's medical care and safety, yet we get paid a beggar's rate. Flipping hamburgers is a more important job; no customer wants a burnt hamburger, which explains why you can make more money at McDonald's. ...

Important Video About Automation
Aug 17, 2014

ALL jobs that can be automated, are.   Not addressed in the film was the costs of making and maintaining these robots.  Also not mentioned was the fate of unwanted and unneeded horses..../people. ...

Important Conference Call Tomorrow?
Sep 10, 2013

Important conference call tomorrow.  Wonder what is going on now. ...

Reposting This Because I Forgot 2 Important Tips
Jun 27, 2014

So, I'm not really asking for a show of hands here, but have you been "moved" in the last 2, 3 weeks or so to a hospital account in the upper northwest part of the country that is rather a booger-bear to learn? It is INTENTIONAL, you will be FIESA'd to death if you are not already. (You were likely told that they need you there because it is a difficult account to keep staffed, at least that is what they told the last person). Just warning you. Be on the lookout for that one plan ...

IMPORTANT NOTE. Check Your Line Counts.
May 25, 2010

I POSTED DOWN BELOW EARLIER ABOUT MESSED UP LINE COUNTS.  We are hitting the holiday weekend.  Line counts are off. Go to your statistics and type in date May 1 through May 15 and what does it show you? Go to your statistics and type in dates May 16 to todays date and what does it show you?  Type in May 19 to 21 or May 18 to 19 and what does it show you?  EVERYONE SHOULD CALL ON THIS.  Supposedly, there is not enough people calling for them to do anything about this. ...

An Important (shocking) Report Just Released About Some Schools
Aug 02, 2012

A report from a two-year study was just released about 30 of the very large colleges that are approved for federal financial aid. Of the students who enrolled in these large for-profit colleges during the 2008-09 academic year, 54 percent withdrew by summer 2010 without earning a degree, according to the report. Nearly all of those students are being left with a huge amount of debt that they can't discharge, even through bankruptcy. Rather than putting most of the money into student resourc ...

This Is America Where People Are Important - Not COWS! So Stop Telling Me I Have "inactive"
May 16, 2012