A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I'd like opinions on the HITECH Act fast approaching deadline of 02/17/10...sm - just wondering

Posted: Feb 07, 2010

“The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH Act), enacted in February 2009, …expanded the reach of HIPAA, extending it to business associates effective February 17, 2010, and imposing nationwide notification requirements for breach of unsecured protected health information (PHI).  Business associates will also now be directly obligated to comply with the security rule of HIPAA and implement security policies to safeguard electronic PHI.  Increased enforcement of HIPAA, as expanded by the HITECH Act, around breaches of unsecured PHI are anticipated….”[1] (with fines of up to $500 per occurrence I've heard). 

Supposedly, those typing with transcribers from home, typing in Word (and even those MTs working for an MTSO and typing in Word), are not compliant as of February 17th.  Now, I certainly don't expect the HITECH Act police to come knocking on our doors on the 17th, but it sounds like one must search out MTSOs who are compliant with the upcoming "O'Bama" regulations.  I understand the need for the security policies, and I believe our country needs them, but what happens to the 'little MT" just trying to make a living?

[1] Excerpt from the McDermott Newsletters / Top 10 Health Law Issues for 2010, dated 02/05/2010

Why aren't at-home MTs in compliance? I wonder if we will get - docked to reimburse fines. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

How exactly does a home MT come into compliance - Is there a checklist somewhere?

[ In Reply To ..]
Besides signing an agreement and having a secure physical work site, what else will be required of a home MT? I'm thinking specifically of one's actual computer system.

It's my understanding it's not only at-home MTs - just wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
but if medical reports are being typed and 'saved' on a computer, even in a doctor's office, they are not in compliance if they don't have password protection for their PHI, 'automatic' PHI removal from the computer, as well as an audit trail for that document. The only way to get 'everything' the new laws want is to work for a big conglomerate who has the software that automatically does all this stuff, right? How can we be compliant otherwise?

I am confused - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
The reports I typed at home are not saved directly on my home computer, but sent to a server elsewhere. The only thing on my home computer is the actual voice file, which is in an archived folder, and I delete that once a week. I do realize that if I wanted to save a report for any reason I could always copy and paste it into a different program and save it that way, and I do that periodically if I am having difficulty saving it to the server so as not to lose what I have just typed. I have never heard of this Act and I would expect any news like this to be passed down to me through the company I am working for so as to stay compliant with securing patient info - and if they company has not passed down important info they should be held responsible and pay any fines that an employee might incur as a result.
Um..No - your expectations are wrong. It is your responsibility to - remain well versed in the requirements
[ In Reply To ..]
of your profession.

HITECH - tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Where did you find this information. I have heard nothing about it from anybody.

Our company sent out a memo about it last week. - I have a feeling at-home MTs are going to get some

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Trained last week - Tina

[ In Reply To ..]
I work at home as an MT. The MTSO I work for set up a teleconference meeting where we also logged onto the computer for a power point presentation. Very nice and professional set up for our compliance training.

That is interesting - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I am wondering now what about an MT that does not work for a company, say an IC - not that I am one - but who knows down the road. I wonder if the law is going to make it mandatory for all national companies to be responsible for training, etc to make sure an empployee status MT is up to date and compliant.

I don't know if the law would make it mandatory - a concerned MT

[ In Reply To ..]
but I would think it is the national company's, or any transcription vendor for that matter, responsibility to know the laws regarding their profession and to ensure that their company, along with the people who work for them, are in compliance, but I can also see where it is the MT's responsibility as well to be informed in the laws. The back cover of this month's MATRIX talks a little about the HITECH Act changes to HIPAA, though not as informative as the article listed on the original post.

You're more likely to sign an agreement just like HIPAA - agreeing to compliance. You should

[ In Reply To ..]
know your responsibility and be versed on the requirements. It's the the MTSOs responsibility to train you.
Responsibility - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
How can I be responsible when I never heard of it - if the company I am working for has the responsibility of training me - then I guess that is how this info would be passed onto me. So will leave it in their hands at this moment. Yeah - I like the question what about India - I wonder if those MTs have heard of this ACT.

I wonder how they will enforce it in India - Fat chance

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

They won't enforce it in India - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
I am in the 5th week of hour long seminars about HITECH. The companies will be the ones fined if it is found that the offshore transcriptionist broke these laws and the fines will be stiff. I am hoping that a few lawsuits will bring about some changes with offshoring but I am not holding my breath.

There was an article in Advance magazine..sm - LaurieG.

[ In Reply To ..]
several months ago and there were also several posts back around August or September...think it was the main board here...regarding this issue. I am no longer working as an MT. I resigned after the small MTSO I worked for sold her company to a national company because she was expecting big expenses as a result of the HIPAA and HITECH changes this month. She was going to have to hire a privacy officer and find a way to track every report, etc. The fines for breach of unsecured PHI vary from state to state, but basically it makes the MT just as responsible as the dictating physician. If a patient sues the doctor, that patient can now sue you as well--at least that's my understanding of being made a business associate. I made a decision that I didn't want Big Brother breathing down my neck, so I've "retired" from MT. After 10 years in the industry, I still loved MT, but I certainly didn't like what's happening to it. Best wishes to those who remain.

There is no restrictions about Word??? - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
I am in my 5th week of hour long seminars about HITECH. As long as the file is encripted and your computer is locked when not in use you aren't breaking the law no matter how you type it up.

Similar Messages:

Approaching Dept. Of Labor
Jul 19, 2011

Alerting the Department of Labor has been bandied about regarding the unfair and unjust treatment that MTSOs like to dole out because they think they can get away with it, and we have, in a sense, just rolled over and let them for fear of job loss or being the troublemaker if we spoke up.  Perhaps it is time we find out if we have legitimate issues here and maybe something can be done about them, such as: 1.  Not being paid for spaces. 2.  Not being paid for demographics. ...

Alpha Feeder Approaching Level?
Aug 20, 2010

Is there such thing as an alpha feeder approching level? ...

End Of Quarter Bonus Time Approaching....
Jun 20, 2014

It's almost the end of the quarter and just for the heck of it, I checked my post-audit Fiesa score today - I am well over 99% accuracy right now.  With about 10 days left in the quarter, what do you think the chances are that they will find enough reports to bring that percentage down below 99%......I would be curious to know how many of us right now have over 99% and how many will have it at the end of the quarter...... ...

Need Benefits Fast! Know Of Co That Gives Dental Ins Fast?
Jul 19, 2010

Need benefits fast!  Know of co that gives dental ins fast? ...

Does Anyone Know When The Deadline Is To Watch
Nov 16, 2012

the webinar & be paid for it?  Does it have to be done by today, or can we do it next week? ...

LANDESK Deadline
Oct 08, 2014

Just got e-mail from corporate.  Deadline is now Oct 16 and not tomorrow.  What's going on now? ...

What You May Not Know About HITECH
Jan 28, 2012

There are new reporting requirements (MU, or meaningful use) within the HITECH Act.    For the first time ever, patients' BMI, smoking history (patients 13 and over), and vaccination history and records will be reported directly to the federal government by their physicians.  (These data were compiled in the past for epidemiologic purposes but not linked to individual patients.)  And these are just the aspects of Stage I of EMR implementation -- Stage II ...

ICD-10 Deadline Being Pushed Back
Feb 17, 2012

From Med-Scape Medical News February 16, 2012 — In a regulatory victory for the American Medical Association (AMA), US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced today that her department will delay the deadline for physicians to begin using a new and expanded set of diagnostic codes called the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, 10th Revision, or ICD-10. The original deadline had been October ...

Can Someone Please Tell Me When The Deadline To Approve Timesheets Is?
Mar 31, 2012

x ...

LANDesk Deadline Has Passed
Oct 17, 2014

The LANDesk deadline has passed.  Has anyone NOT downloaded it?     ...

HITECH/HIPPA
Nov 14, 2009

A few days ago the MTSO I work for informed us that it was even more important for us to be sure that the patient information in the demographics be accurate.  They went on to say that if an error was made, the patient would now be informed of this.  While I totally agree that at all times patient information, inculding DOB, MR number and other very important data be perfect every time, I can't help but wonder that if patients will be informed when this information is in error, w ...

HITECH Law Penalty
Nov 15, 2009

Anyone check with their employer to see how they will handle an MT performing a HITECH HIPAA violation after 02/2010?  Could be $100 fine for each occurence, up to $25,000/year.  HITECH HIPAA violation could be an MT putting an incorrect doctor in for a carbon copy.  I know the doctors are so very thorough in their carbon copy requests, so in that case, there should be very few problems...lol. ...

HITECH Testing
Mar 26, 2010

Just found out my employer is requiring all employees to take the HITECH test.  This is from the law that was passed last year.  We were told it would take about 5 hours to complete. Has anyone seen this test or taken it who can share some info (how long, how hard, etc?) Sure wouild appreciate a little info before starting.  Thanks! ...

If MD Refuses To Comply With HITECH, Would You...
Jan 13, 2010

drop the account?  Would you comply with HITECH and let the doctor worry about his own compliance and keep status quo?  I have an acct that is part time and I could pick up more more elsewhere if I dropped him, but who wants to walk away from business in today's environment?  This doctor is not overtly saying he refuses to send his dictation by encrypted email.  He just is saying nothing and not changing anything. What would you do? ...

HITECH - Home Office
Feb 11, 2010

I'm wondering where other people have their home offices/work computers?  My desk is currently in a corner of the living room but it's not in the main living area, so to speak. It's kind of off in this nook area off the living room. My monitors face outside and not into the living room.  I'm wondering if I'm going to have to figure out someplace else to put everything to be in compliance? I do have my computers password locked so no one else can ...

HIPPA/HITECH And Overseas MTs
May 07, 2010

How can any company be compliant with HITECH/HIPPA when they send work overseas. Isn't that a HIPPA violation and should the patient be notified that their personal information, diagnoses, history, SS#, in some cases home address, DOB, etc, is sometimes mentioned in reports and overseas MTs have access to it?  How can any company be compliant, especially with HITECH be compliant with these new laws, regulations, etc, when the patient is not aware their information is accessed overseas ...

Journalist's Deadline Question On Webmedx And Nuance
Sep 13, 2011

Hello:I am a journalist covering a local public hospital district where transcriptionists have just been outsourced to Webmedx. That company has apparently been bought out by Nuance, and I would like to know more from MTs who have had experience with either company. How does pay compare with a job in a hospital, how much do you make per hour, does Nuance outsource offshore and what can those who work for Nuance expect in the way of job security and benefits. Though I am requ ...

HIPAA/HITECH Training For Business Associates
Jan 12, 2015

I was offered a position with a company who requires a HIPAA certificate, and I was wondering where others have gone online to obtain that and if anyone could suggest any that were under $20.   Thanks! ...

Fast Chart - Current Info On Fast Chart
Dec 10, 2011

Anyone have any current info on Fast Chart, good, bad, ugly?  Checked the Archives, not much recent info.  Thanks! ...

Fast Chart - Does Anyone Work For Fast Chart
Mar 07, 2013

Does anyone work for Fast Chart and what can you tell me about them? ...

Is The "deadline" For QA Reports The Same As The Pay Period, I.e. Friday Night?
Jan 30, 2015

Is there a time frame, like till midnight Friday or what, that the QA reports have to be completed to count for the pay period? In other words, when can I breath a sigh of relief? So far I have one report scored 100%. Also wondering since any reversal request have to be submitted by Saturday. ...

How Fast Is Fast?
Jan 24, 2010

I know there are lots of variables that go into productivity, but I am interested to know what is considered fast for an MT. How many lines per hour are the top MTs producing? ...

Need Fast Help!
May 14, 2010

This is a peds pt who had a VP shunt placed at 9 months for intrauterine strokes.  Can not confirm this term anywhere, but the doc is VERY clearly saying this! had a partial "cerebralectomy" but has had no complications since then. ...

I Can't Believe How Fast I Did A Job!
Apr 27, 2011

It was a lonely little document I got to type! Somehow missed the ASR machine. Did it in 10 minutes. It was the of the same length as the previous ASR job that took me 20 minutes to do. ...

Now I'm Not Fast Enough
Jan 29, 2014

I don't know what these companies expect.  I think they all think we are robots that can be programmed.  My quality is excellent but I'm not fast enough doing VR.  I have NEVER been able to do VR as fast as I can type, but they seem to think that with VR you should be able to do TWICE as much as straight typing-- not!  I wish they WOULD just get robots to do the work-- then they wouldn't have to pay ANYTHING-- just the initial cost of the robots. With what they ...

Okay I Now Know They Are Trying To Fast Kill Me.
Apr 22, 2010

So much for the slow death, we have now been given an account because of loss of work in my account I have had for 20 years.  Given an account that is total ESL residents and PAs.  No following style of dictation.  Absolutely NOT to be found or understood who they are, much less dictating on patients not even entered correctly by their MRN.   I have not had to send anything to QA but now it is to this.  They want me to fail.  So, guess what I will continue to w ...

Need Fast Help, Please - S/l GelGard
Jun 07, 2010

Pt has had a skin graft (due to burn).  I have encouraged him to do scar massage, sun avoidance, continue range of motion exercises, and s/l GelGard wearing... TIA! ...

Fast Chart?
Jun 12, 2010

Any info on this company?   ...

Anyone Know Anything About Fast Chart?
Feb 06, 2011

Anyone know anything about Fast Chart?  Thanks! ...

Too Fast To Understand
Jun 14, 2011

The patient s/l FI and brought to the operating room. General endotracheal anesthesia was used as s/l restroom :0. Seriously. This guy talks so fast and I know these are common and could be anything but any help would be great. ...