A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

ICD-10 deadline being pushed back - Medscaper

Posted: Feb 17, 2012

From Med-Scape Medical News

February 16, 2012 — In a regulatory victory for the American Medical Association (AMA), US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced today that her department will delay the deadline for physicians to begin using a new and expanded set of diagnostic codes called the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, 10th Revision, or ICD-10.

The original deadline had been October 1, 2013. Sebelius stated that HHS will announce a new compliance deadline after reexamining the pace of implementing ICD-10. "We have heard from many in the provider community who have concerns about the administrative burdens [of ICD-10]," she said.

That just means that coders had better know both ICD-9 and ICD-10 - Or Else they will be out of work soon

[ In Reply To ..]
So many of the schools have recently just been teaching nothing but short overviews of ICD-10 and calling it a coding education. Now, part of it is going to be ICD-10 for those who are ready to go on it and the rest will be ICD-9. I think that's tremendous for coders who know both! Unfortunately, those who are stuck in some course that jumped the gun and only are teaching ICD-10, they are going to have to start from scratch.

What schools are training new coders using only ICD-10???? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Can you provide the names of schools now teaching only ICD-10??? I have not seen any yet.
There are courses for existing coders, but not any teaching NEW coders.

I cannot imagine why one would be teaching only ICD 10 with the implementation date of October 2013. How would students have been expected to work until then? For more than a year or 18 months??

I ran into a couple when I was looking recently - Agree with you that it does not make sense

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't remember the names of the schools, but I ran into them recently when I was looking. They were promoting it as being a good thing, so people probably bought it.
Perhaps you could look them up? - Just to be sure NM
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Remedy Pushed Back Another Week!
Apr 18, 2012

Now everybody has another week to figure it out! Or maybe more! The Muddle/Q is notorious for pushing things back and back and back ad nauseum. ...

All Thumbs Meeting Pushed Back Another Week
Sep 25, 2012

another week of reprieve before the ax falls? ...

You've Offically Pushed Me Into The Decision To Go Back To School, Nuance.
Dec 14, 2012

The latest pay cut was my final straw.  I'm starting my first classes in February for a new career in a field that has nothing to do with healthcare and working every single weekend and holiday for the rest of my life while watching my pay go down instead of up with the more experience I gain.  Thank you for destrying what I considered a career and turning into something I loathe getting out of bed and having to do. ...

Being Pushed To Change Schedule. Anyone Hear Of This?
May 07, 2013

If I deny 2 times to be transferred to a different group/different schedule, then they take that as a resignation.  Fancy way of firing you without firing you?  I have a life with a young family, I cannot work whenever they want me to.  Oohh, frustrated. ...

Does Anyone Know When The Deadline Is To Watch
Nov 16, 2012

the webinar & be paid for it?  Does it have to be done by today, or can we do it next week? ...

LANDESK Deadline
Oct 08, 2014

Just got e-mail from corporate.  Deadline is now Oct 16 and not tomorrow.  What's going on now? ...

Can Someone Please Tell Me When The Deadline To Approve Timesheets Is?
Mar 31, 2012

x ...

LANDesk Deadline Has Passed
Oct 17, 2014

The LANDesk deadline has passed.  Has anyone NOT downloaded it?     ...

Article: Middle Class Secretaries Pushed Into Minimum Wage Work
Sep 04, 2012

Article from The Nation: http://www.thenation.com/blog/169712/middle-class-secretaries-pushed-minimum-wage-work "And the driving force behind the losses is just as troubling. Given that the ability to find a new job is almost nil in the miserable job market, workers are feeling trapped. (For example, the quit rate has hovered at a very low rate since the recovery began.) That gives employers huge leverage in pushing their employees to take on heavier loads without higher pay." Sound famil ...

I'd Like Opinions On The HITECH Act Fast Approaching Deadline Of 02/17/10...sm
Feb 07, 2010

“The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH Act), enacted in February 2009, …expanded the reach of HIPAA, extending it to business associates effective February 17, 2010, and imposing nationwide notification requirements for breach of unsecured protected health information (PHI).  Business associates will also now be directly obligated to comply with the security rule of HIPAA and implement security policies to safeguard electr ...

Journalist's Deadline Question On Webmedx And Nuance
Sep 13, 2011

Hello:I am a journalist covering a local public hospital district where transcriptionists have just been outsourced to Webmedx. That company has apparently been bought out by Nuance, and I would like to know more from MTs who have had experience with either company. How does pay compare with a job in a hospital, how much do you make per hour, does Nuance outsource offshore and what can those who work for Nuance expect in the way of job security and benefits. Though I am requ ...

Is The "deadline" For QA Reports The Same As The Pay Period, I.e. Friday Night?
Jan 30, 2015

Is there a time frame, like till midnight Friday or what, that the QA reports have to be completed to count for the pay period? In other words, when can I breath a sigh of relief? So far I have one report scored 100%. Also wondering since any reversal request have to be submitted by Saturday. ...

Does Anyone Ever Hear Back Anymore From Jobs Posted? In The Past I Always Heard Back Even If I Was N
Dec 10, 2012

Back To Work After Back Surgery
Aug 23, 2012

Hello, I would like to transcribe from home again. However, I HAVE to get up and walk for a few minutes at least once an hour. You see, I had to have 2 back surgeries in the last 18 months. I've been a transcriptionist for many years and this is my profession. Does anyone have a suggestion what to tell these companies that will hire you to work from home when you have to get up so much? The last company I tried had a "pop-up" box that appeared on my screen if you were up longer than 10 min ...

Dang It - DQS Back Up But My Job Did Not Come Back To Me.
Mar 31, 2011

. ...

I'm Back...I'm Back In The Saddle Again!!!!
Jul 02, 2014

Back to being an MT, and yes, I am excited about that. ...

Well, Back To NJA Again..
Oct 27, 2009

Oh dear, here it goes again. ...NJA and a whole week to go on this pay period.  Due to my sickness I had to take off my 3a-5a shift, but now cannot get work to make up.   I long ago used up all my PTO.   Arrgggghhh.  Arggghhhh.   Argghhhh.  Argghhh.  I am practicing my pirate sounds for Halloween.  I've already got the screaming banshee routine down so much I have nothing but low growly voice left. ...

I Wonder If They'd Take Me Back.
Jun 22, 2011

I quit last July because they couldn't keep me "transcriptioning," sent my resignation to my supervisor, and then received a letter in October stating that I was terminated.   Loved it!  And I'm thinking of reapplying.  Ought to be an interesting experience.. lol..  just love it!  I don't have anything else to do, and what other company would let you not work for 3 months before they terminated you?   Did I mention how much I love this ...

I Got Back Into DQS
Nov 04, 2010

I just got back in so maybe problem is fixed?! ...

Getting Back In To MT
Dec 06, 2010

Thanks so much for any advice! I am newly divorced and working at a call center, and I have an MT certificate from Everett Community College, and even though I have lost 1/2 of my stuff thanks to my ex, I seem to have held on to my foot pedal, software, and that is about it. I would like to start over and try to find an MT job. I had an excellent GPA in school but have never worked. I graduated in 2007. Am I crazy to try? I figure it is now or never, anyway. If someone here is optimistic enough ...

Getting Back Into The Biz
Mar 15, 2011

Hi all, I'm getting back into editing after a 5-year hiatus.  I'm being offered .06 cpl at this time.  Back in the day, it was an hourly wage I made.. so, am trying to figure out what it's going to take volume wise to make a decent paycheck.  Anyone have any suggestions for me?  Thanks, I appreciate this site  and your input very much! ...

DQS Back Up For Me...nm
Jun 11, 2012

nm ...

MM Wants Me Back
Sep 17, 2012

ok so after 13 years, having to resort to food stamps and borrowing money to make my rent, I leave MM approx 2-1/2 months ago to to type for 2 docs and 2 PAs in a private practice at $15/hr, no weekends, no holidays, beautiful office building, 1 hour lunch...and I get a call asking if I would consider coming back to MM ... AND I wouldn't even have to test for them!. ha....ha ha....ha ha ha....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ...

Anyone Back In Yet?
Oct 31, 2012

Just wanna take a nap. ...

Im Back Up
Nov 26, 2012

:) ...

Looking To Get Back Into MT???
Dec 15, 2012

I worked in medical transcription for about 3 years, but it has been about 3 years since I have done it. I really need to get back into it due to the fact my family needs the extra income. I cannot work outside the home because my daughter has special needs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is Anyone Else Back In?
Nov 11, 2013

Everything (for me) seems to be uploading/downloading OK.  Light is still red though.  ...

BACK AND FORTH!!!!!!
Mar 12, 2014

Since the announcement of MModal bankruptcy, I have had such mixed feelings.  First of all, I have just begun my 17th year with this company.  I have been through many TSMs or whatever they are now.  I have only had 1 that was totally unreasonable which I guess is pretty fortunate.  Like everyone else, I make about half the money I used to with this company.  I am a tier 3 MT and have been since the beginning.  I have 30 years of MT experience, have a degree in heal ...

I Want To Go Back To My Old Job
Mar 25, 2014

I left in good standing I think! Two week notice, exit interview, good words about company, etc. ...

Wish I Had My Old MT Job Back...
Jun 29, 2014

I am still at M*Modal but have a different position which I thought was going to be a promotion, but I am not as enthused about it as I first was. Is it possible to go back to being an MT (since I am already an employee) even though there is a hiring freeze? How could I ask anonymously? ...