A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

HITECH law penalty - Beth

Posted: Nov 15, 2009

Anyone check with their employer to see how they will handle an MT performing a HITECH HIPAA violation after 02/2010?  Could be $100 fine for each occurence, up to $25,000/year.  HITECH HIPAA violation could be an MT putting an incorrect doctor in for a carbon copy.  I know the doctors are so very thorough in their carbon copy requests, so in that case, there should be very few problems...lol.

Do you mean.... - a

[ In Reply To ..]
fine for the company or the MT??

HITECH fines - Beth

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told the company can pass it on to their MTs who made the error.

HITCH fines - ktat

[ In Reply To ..]
There is no way transcription companies can pass on any hitech fine to the MT. MTs, make sure your employment agreement covers this!
Courtesy copies - Elizabeth
[ In Reply To ..]
When it comes to being fined for incorrect CCs, and I am not given adequate information to do it correctly, I'll refuse to do courtesy copies. Besids, these companies do not pay me for courtesy copies anyway.

Anything that I do free gratis is not part of my "JOB."

Even Websters defines a JOB as: "A piece of work; especially : a small miscellaneous piece of work undertaken on order at a stated rate."

MTs are doing too much freebie work and shouldering the liability for garbage dictation as it is.

When the standard rate of compensation is ZERO, that's what they can expect - NOTHING.

Similar Messages:

QA Penalty Now For Blanks
Jun 29, 2012

They are more and more following M*Modal.  Now if a report is QA'd with a blank, you will be penalized in your score for that blank, and this has been verified by a QA person, who received the new directions recently.  As I understand it, you are penalized if QA was able to find the blank either in old reports or by research, or just knowing the term.   So you have a choice, spend a lot of time on research and see your LPH plummet to minimum wage, or blank it and then be pen ...

M*Modal's Penalty Charge For Over 5% QA....
Apr 20, 2012

I do not work for M*Modal.  I am not especially wanting to either.  Not many companies will allow satellite internet though besides Transcend, which is being bought out by Nuance.  I am currently with Transcend, but Nuance does not allow satellite, sooo I need to find a place that allows satellite.  M*Modal is one place, so I figured I better get some info on this pay docking they do for over 5% QA.  Ok, how many of you have this docked on a regular basis on your p ...

Penalty For Refusing To Guess
Aug 01, 2013

Now that we can be dinged for leaving a blank that QA thinks we should have known, my % score has gone to the dogs (my apologies to all canines).  When I get a mush-mouth  or a really gnarly ESL, there are circumstances where I have no choice but to leave a blank.  I'm not talking about stuff that could be looked up.  Sometimes the blank in question can be interpreted as either one word or other other and either choice doesn't change the meaning.  But I can gu ...

DTS America (now Transend) Monetary Penalty Imposed
Jun 16, 2011

Is it legal for a supervisor to threaten the group of MT's with monetary penalty for making a very common error on a certain dictator's demographic info?  A DTS America supervisor said this was in place now due to repeated errors on demographic info/signature line.  Are we stupid?  Are we in kindergarten?  Are we in an old-fashioned factory setting from the 1800's and not being supervised by the Labor Board?  DTS is newly owned by Transend, so I wonde ...

What You May Not Know About HITECH
Jan 28, 2012

There are new reporting requirements (MU, or meaningful use) within the HITECH Act.    For the first time ever, patients' BMI, smoking history (patients 13 and over), and vaccination history and records will be reported directly to the federal government by their physicians.  (These data were compiled in the past for epidemiologic purposes but not linked to individual patients.)  And these are just the aspects of Stage I of EMR implementation -- Stage II ...

HITECH/HIPPA
Nov 14, 2009

A few days ago the MTSO I work for informed us that it was even more important for us to be sure that the patient information in the demographics be accurate.  They went on to say that if an error was made, the patient would now be informed of this.  While I totally agree that at all times patient information, inculding DOB, MR number and other very important data be perfect every time, I can't help but wonder that if patients will be informed when this information is in error, w ...

HITECH Testing
Mar 26, 2010

Just found out my employer is requiring all employees to take the HITECH test.  This is from the law that was passed last year.  We were told it would take about 5 hours to complete. Has anyone seen this test or taken it who can share some info (how long, how hard, etc?) Sure wouild appreciate a little info before starting.  Thanks! ...

If MD Refuses To Comply With HITECH, Would You...
Jan 13, 2010

drop the account?  Would you comply with HITECH and let the doctor worry about his own compliance and keep status quo?  I have an acct that is part time and I could pick up more more elsewhere if I dropped him, but who wants to walk away from business in today's environment?  This doctor is not overtly saying he refuses to send his dictation by encrypted email.  He just is saying nothing and not changing anything. What would you do? ...

HITECH - Home Office
Feb 11, 2010

I'm wondering where other people have their home offices/work computers?  My desk is currently in a corner of the living room but it's not in the main living area, so to speak. It's kind of off in this nook area off the living room. My monitors face outside and not into the living room.  I'm wondering if I'm going to have to figure out someplace else to put everything to be in compliance? I do have my computers password locked so no one else can ...

HIPPA/HITECH And Overseas MTs
May 07, 2010

How can any company be compliant with HITECH/HIPPA when they send work overseas. Isn't that a HIPPA violation and should the patient be notified that their personal information, diagnoses, history, SS#, in some cases home address, DOB, etc, is sometimes mentioned in reports and overseas MTs have access to it?  How can any company be compliant, especially with HITECH be compliant with these new laws, regulations, etc, when the patient is not aware their information is accessed overseas ...

I'd Like Opinions On The HITECH Act Fast Approaching Deadline Of 02/17/10...sm
Feb 07, 2010

“The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH Act), enacted in February 2009, …expanded the reach of HIPAA, extending it to business associates effective February 17, 2010, and imposing nationwide notification requirements for breach of unsecured protected health information (PHI).  Business associates will also now be directly obligated to comply with the security rule of HIPAA and implement security policies to safeguard electr ...

HIPAA/HITECH Training For Business Associates
Jan 12, 2015

I was offered a position with a company who requires a HIPAA certificate, and I was wondering where others have gone online to obtain that and if anyone could suggest any that were under $20.   Thanks! ...