A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Alpha/IMedX employee classification - IRS SS-8 determination

Posted: Aug 12, 2014

Just got a letter from the IRS saying they concluded that I performed services (2013) for the firm (Alpha) as an employee! So looks like Alpha and their COO and CRO "team" weren't playing by the rules, although their webpage currently boasts Ms. CRO "ensured compliance with Federal law and managing the payroll benefits for IMedX" in her bio. I see their new webpage no longer has IMedX attached to it--what's up with that anyone know?

Does that mean...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
they had you misclassified as an IC and now have to pay your portion of the employment tax. In that case, wouldn't you be due a refund from the IRS? Sounds good to me if it is so. Don't know why their webpage has eliminated IMedX.

letters from the IRS -- more to come - in the know

[ In Reply To ..]
Not surprising at all, as the IRS has targeted our industry as frequently misclassifying employees (IC versus employee and exempt versus nonexempt). The IRS will refund the taxes paid and will charge those to the employer (plus penalties). Stay tuned as there will be many more in the next year. And IMedX will move away from their association with Alpha, as they don't want the IRS investigating them as well. Since they're Indian-owned, it might not impact them as much. Not sure how that part works. But US companies have to classify their employees correctly and pay the appropriate taxes. My understanding is one of the things they're looking for is having an IC and employee doing the same work, meeting the same standards.

Alpha/iMedX IRS SS-8 - determination

[ In Reply To ..]
According to an attorney's website who works for employers on this type of situation, once an IRS determination has been made in favor of a "worker," then it becomes somewhat easier for those who submit an IRS SS-8 in the future.

Good news. MTs have been treated like dirt for too long.

FINALLY - - What I have said all along

[ In Reply To ..]
Since I got into this industry 10 years ago, fresh out of a training program and into an IC job, the more I researched it, I found that the majority of these companies "hiring" only IC's, or the majority of their "employees" as IC's were not following the IRS rules!

The IRS clearly states what is an is not an employee and who can be an independent contractor! They have gotten away with not having to pay taxes, not having to offer benefits or even worker's comp (though, has anyone ever been able to file a worker's comp claim when you work at home?), etc.

I'm so glad to hear that the IRS is finally going after these companies!

And I'm sorry for all of you IC's out there. I know some of you like being IC's, but only if you are truly the definition of an IC, then you're being screwed! I've been there, done that!

IRS - MT1

[ In Reply To ..]
How do you even approach requesting that this be investigated? I worked for a company for more than 10 years as a complete employee, til they started having problems and in order to remain afloat, made us all ICs....if you did not like that you left. Same job, same pay, same hours...but IC. I got second job to pay my benefits and just decreased my hours on job #1 to 30...but still an IC...happened 5 years ago. My accountant told me it was fishy, but I didn't want to lose my job and still don't, but really feel I got the shaft.

Found this form - Fill it out

[ In Reply To ..]
I found this form online, basically from searching SS-8 determination. It looks like once you fill it out, they will investigate whether you are an employee or an IC. I would imagine that with whistle-blower laws, they couldn't take action against you if the company found out, but who knows. I'd do a bit more research. You can also search for the IRS report a violation (I think that's form 3949-A, but I could be wrong).

See the attached link.

Google "report IRS fraud" -- all the particulars--nm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

Alpha-waiting for my IRS determination - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm expecting the IRS determination notice for my time spent with Alpha (iMedX) Transcription very soon, which also covered the year 2013. I believe it will have been worth the time I invested in filing it.

Treated like an EMPLOYEE - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Just as I expected, the IRS determination says that I was treated like an employee and not an IC. And there you have it folks.

treated like an employee - bugger

[ In Reply To ..]
So what did you file? I was an IC until recently when let go for lack of work. how did that determination say..I know I had hours I had to work, no set line count, they wanted us to now clock in and clock out.....is that some of it?

Similar Messages:

Question Regarding Employee Classification
Nov 22, 2011

I am a new MQ emp (not by choice) and signed on as FT with benefits, but then found out how worthless the ins is. I am thinking about changing to FT with limited benefits or PT with limited benefits. Is there a drawback? Will they lower my pay? I like the part about lowering the minimum lines required. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks ...

IMedx/Alpha
Sep 16, 2014

Anybody worked or work for iMedx/Alpha Transcription? Are you having issues with decreased pay and switching accounts? ...

Alpha/iMedX
Oct 24, 2014

An acquaintance of mine got this message from Alpha (now owned by ImedX). There has been a lack of work since ImedX took over countless VA hospitals that used to be handled by Alpha.  In short, U.S. Government is now paying a foreign company, using taxpayer money, while causing unemployment for Americans, and the so called Americans working for Alpha/ImedX are assisting them. As you know, the workload for the accounts in which you are providing services has been low over the past several month ...

Alpha Transcription/Imedx
Aug 01, 2014

Anyone happy with Alpha Transcription/Imedx currently?  I thought about working with them but read on another MT site there's a lot of changes going on without any notice.  ...

Alpha/iMedX Work
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone working on Alpha VA accounts have work pick up or not? ...

I'm Confused - Does IMedx Own Alpha Transcription?
Feb 07, 2014

nm ...

Alpha Sold By Imedx To Trio
Jan 01, 2015

That was fast!  http://www.imedx.com/news/trio-consulting-acquires-alpha-transcription-imedx I also found an interesting article on the legalities of small VA contractors winning contracts as a "small" business while combined with huge businesses... http://www.njit.edu/ptac/veterans It appears that Alpha is separating from huge, Indian-owned Imedx, so hopefully the complaints filed with the contract officers and DOL were starting to sink in.  ...

HIV Classification
Jan 20, 2010

The patient has HIV class CD4 "canthada" at 353. Any one famiilar with this classification and what the word might be that sounds like canthada?  ...

Classification Help
Aug 20, 2011

OPERATIVE REPORT   PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS Garden III fracture, femoral neck.   POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS Garden III fracture, femoral neck.   OPERATION PERFORMED Percutaneous insertion of 3 cannulated titanium screws.   GROSS FINDINGS The fracture was known to relatively stable preoperatively, and the 3 titanium screws were inserted percutaneously, using 2-sleeve technique over a guidewire. Fluoroscopic control was utilized. Blood loss was essentially nil, as the pr ...

Colonoscopy Classification
Nov 29, 2011

In a colonoscopy report, doc is dictating, s/l ? body I, ASA II.  I know about the ASA classification, but not sure about the other.  Thanks! ...

What Classification System - YT1N2?
Nov 18, 2009

This is the first time I have heard of this - YT1N2. What classification system is this? ...

Cancer Classification Question
Mar 23, 2010

Pt has breast cancer, infiltrating ductal carcinoma, Nottingham Grade 3 or III-which is it?? TIA! ...

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

Imedx And Moderator At MT Stars, Plz Ignore All Employees/posters Of Imedx
Feb 03, 2015

Moderator, please delete everything on your site that refers to Imedx, even this post of mine, it is only the right thing to do. I prefer to be angry and have no where to vent. Last week we were told by Op Mgr that "she has a call into the client about why volume is so low." Yesterday, we got a "yippee" from "her" about having a coupla hundred jobs ready. This morning, we got an email saying, "we need to make sure you have backup accounts now." I wont address the timesheet issue, I am still ...

If It Looks Like IMEDX, Talks Like IMEDX, It Is IMEDX
Feb 28, 2015

No one on this board seems to give specifics when they get canned from IMEDX. So my question is this: Can each person who got laid off/fired let us know more details. Were you PT or full time, did they call or did they email, did you have options, or just firing. How many lines did you do per day. Some of us may not be in your situation and you may have been just an employee that was not worth IMEDX's time and they got rid of you while they may keep all the others, or full timers. Details p ...

Former Nuance Employee Now Has To Become Employee Again
Mar 11, 2014

Has anyone else left Nuance for another company only to have to return after acquisition? Were you just reinstated or did you have to start fresh from day 1 again? ...

Cancer Classification + "with Zero Of Eight"
Nov 21, 2013

"Pathology from this showed a T2 N0 with zero of eight lymph nodes present cancer." I understand the T2 N0, but it's the "with zero of eight lymph nodes" part that I am not sure about. Thank you for any information. ...

Alpha In MN
Jun 03, 2013

Anybody who works for Alpha in MN willing to answer a few newbie questions?  If yes, please e-mail me. Thanks for your time! ...

What Is Going On At Alpha?
Aug 04, 2014

Does anyone know what is going on at Alpha?  Apparently the let employees complete the last 2-week pay period without telling anyone that they had changed the way they were calculating the line counts.   ...

Anything About Alpha Transcription?
Jun 17, 2010

Does anyone know anything about Alpha Trancription? I have been talking with them. Are they a good place to work? ...

ALPHA Transcription Anyone?
Sep 15, 2010

Any current info on this company? What kind of platform? Good/bad mgmt? Work flow issues? ...

Alpha-fetoprotein
Sep 30, 2010

Is alpha-fetoprotein normally hyphenated? If so, why? Compound modifier for protein? ...

Alpha Transcription - Sm
Oct 18, 2010

Any info on how long from turning in your paperwork until you start training or hear from IT?  TIA. ...

What Is Up With Alpha Transcription?
Oct 21, 2010

I was just wondering if anybody knows what is up with Alpha.  Did they lose accounts?  No communications.  Shuffling people here and there. ...

Alpha - What A Joke
Feb 19, 2011

7.5 cpl for VBC - thanx but no thanx.  Do they think they are hiring MTs from out of the US with these wages?  Not this MT, that's for sure. Flat out refused prior to interview once rate was made known. ...

ALPHA Transcription?
May 18, 2011

Any info on ALPHA Transcription -- good, bad, or ugly?  Thanks. ...

Alpha Transcription, MN
Jun 09, 2011

Can anyone give any uptodate info on this company as far as platform and accounts.  Thanks much! ...

Anyone Have Low/no Work During The Day For Alpha Out Of MN Lately?
Jan 12, 2012

nm ...

Alpha Transcription - What A Rip-off!
Mar 23, 2012

How are all you alphies out there loving the new cuts? Don't ya just love not getting paid for spaces, then templates, and now headers and footers? What's next? Commas and periods? What a rip-off! I'm quitting soon. Anybody else? ...

Alpha Transcription MN
Jun 01, 2012

Does anybody know if Alpha has been sold yet?  An MT friend of mine was interested in working there but with it being for sale with Kruse Acquisitions and the ability for the new owner to use their own MTs she does not want to start and then be let go soon.  Thanks for any info. ...