Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

I'm confused on this, as I would imagine that a court reporter - would be taking

Posted: Jan 6th, 2024 - 10:28 am In Reply to: I do extensive medicolegal depositions, - and legal depositions of all types

down the record, so if that is the case, where is the court reporter's record of the transcript? It seems like if you're being paid to type an entire transcript that you are actually doing the job of a court reporter, so just how well is paid very well? I can't imagine that one would be paid anywhere close to the range of a court reporter, so that's my confusion. If you are actually typing an entire transcript on your own, what was the point of the court reporter other than to have the benefit of knowing who was speaking in a deposition? And what are the rules for transcripts? If you cannot understand something, wouldn't that be the responsibility of the court reporter to figure that out? I did do some research and read that not all states require a court reporter to be licensed, wouldn't that just suck to just get a recording and nothing more for a transcript? You wouldn't know who was who in the transcript. How much more time consuming is it to type multiple speakers versus one speaker, as it is with medical? I just can't imagine that this type of job would be very lucrative . I have entire reports in my shortcuts that allow me to just edit, delete, and replace, which affords me the ability to increase my line count hour by hour. If you're just straight typing a transcript, what type of shortcuts can be produced to allow you the opportunity to increase your line count? Just a few questions that I have, as it seems that the task of actually typing a whole document, which transcripts can be pretty lengthy, on one's own would be very time consuming. It seems you'd have be getting paid a very good line rate or whatever rate it is to be able to take the time to produce a record that might be lengthy and I would imagine at times confusing with so many different speakers saying so many different things that one may not hear on a regular basis, for example doing a claim for a roof or trying to get on disability. Do you end up doing a lot of research on terms or does the court reporter at least provide that type of information for one to transcribe an accurate record?

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)