Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Posts like this make me feel frustrated. I agree about howtogeek. - Still condescending? sm

Posted: Dec 30th, 2018 - 11:20 am In Reply to: Not sure how I'm going to do this in the future, but I'd like to recommend Revo. - VDI hater #2213

Statements like this frustrate me:
"...they might not have had the time or inclination or skillz to become a computer guru or simply feel comfortable with "[Googling] these topics" online (where you'll often find multiple, multiple ways to do the same thing ... my personal most-trusted site for such, though, is www.howtogeek.com)."

I agree that there's a lot of info on the Internet and Google doesn't help you narrow down your search results. But as MTs we all have to use search at some point to look up medical words, drugs, and phrases. Those search results need to be evaluated as well.

I wouldn't throw up my hands and say, "I can't be a good MT because you don't know what my life situation is and I don't have the time, inclination, or skillz to learn which sites are credible." Would you?

But when it comes to learning PC basics that's what some seem to be suggesting.

I'm suggesting that you use the same skills you'd use as an MT to look up PC topics.

For example, as an MT wouldn't you prefer info that comes straight from the manufacturer's web site? Why not use that same criteria when learning about your PC?

Another example. You recommend Revo (I agree with this too) but it's more complex than the Control Panel. If you were to Google how to use Revo and learn what all the uninstall steps do and what they mean, you wouldn't throw your hands up in the air and say, "I Googled it. I don't have the time to sort through all those results." You'd use the documentation and tutorials from Revo's site.

The same thing applies if you were to Google how to do a factory restore. Prefer instructions from the manufacturer's site for your model of PC. (It's probably going to be in the first page of links if you add your make and model to the search.)

Are you trying to learn how to uninstall software or do a system restore? Same thing, try the hits from Microsoft.

Finding and following a step-by-step tutorial on the Internet is not "becoming a computer guru." It's learning the basics so you can get back to work with as little financial impact as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)