Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

M*Modal

Thank you - MT

Posted: Nov 14th, 2016 - 8:24 am In Reply to: No wonder you can't meet metrics. . . - No longer an MT

As the MT who wrote that, I do wonder if you thought I didn't know this. But I don't mean that mean-spiritedly. It's OK, though; you are not wrong. You see this situation in black and white, and I see it in shades of gray because that is what I am living.

I am fairly certain most employers of at-home employees are aware their employees may have children they don't put in daycare as a result of working from home. And that home-related distractions need to be managed differently than office related, but are unavoidable.

That said, I have been looking for an IC job for years. I did find one and then they cut back the hours (of course) as the doctors transitioned to a system where they type most of their own notes. I still work that job PT and I still am open to a better transcription job. I work 50 hours a week between the two now, though, and so much else is going on in my life that the last thing I really want to do is start over somewhere else.

My husband is newly sick. It will not, I hope, last forever...I hope with all my heart anyway. Those interruptions should not last forever. He used to be my biggest ally in keeping the kids from interrupting me too much when they were littler.

The interruptions with the kids...They have known for years not to interrupt mom when she's working, but they still need to be picked up from practices, and the practice/meeting/tryouts, you name it, are constantly changing so there is really no way to permanently change my schedule to deal with this except to work days during school hours only, and I work all over to help out.

I did get into MT work back in the day when it was advertised as an actual way to stay at home with your kids, so in a way I think many of us felt one of the biggest perks of MT work was that. And when I started at MModal, it was not a problem. The kids knew not to interrupt me, but when they had to, the line count situation was such that it was not a big deal.

The pets...Well they get older, and right now the oldest has heart failure. Sadly, this interruption will not last forever either. I am not sure it will last more than the next few weeks.

This is life. There are times when I have almost no interruptions. There are other times when they seem to have grown exponentially.

I don't want to leave MModal as I don't believe there are necessarily better situations out there for MTs than the one I currently have. I do wish MModal could return to the metrics that made it easier for their MTs to navigate the realities of daily life working from home.

I know other MTs and all of their situations are better than mine in some ways, worse in others, and it usually comes out a toss-up.

What MModal has done now is make it very hard for life to get complicated. Life does.

So you are exactly right, it is almost impossible to meet their line requirement unless you are working every second of your shift and focused intently.

I love MT work. I do well on my audits. I don't call in sick.

And the thing is, I need to make a line count even higher than the minimum to pay the bills. So it is already my objective. I already understand and can monitor my own inactive time, and in fact I have to. Where it gets frustrating is when it is mandated, and suddenly there is no room for life to happen.

Does MModal want only US MTs who are retired with no kids? Kids who don't do activities? No elderly parents? No pets? No sick family members? No sickness themselves? Should we all quit when those things happen? Or do we wait it out, knowing things will change?

And definitely wishing the LPH and inactive monitoring were as reasonable as a few years ago to make room for times like these?

So no attack from me. Just seeking to clarify a little from a different perspective. You are not wrong at all, but there can be a bit more to it, too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)