Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

IC Advice - beenthere

Posted: Oct 7th, 2016 - 11:30 am In Reply to: IC Advice - I am an IC

I feel your pain. Yes, I agree that’s the biggest perk to being an IC is schedule flexibility, especially if you’ve been in the sweatshops of Nuance or MModal.
I worked for many years as an IC for a great company who had plenty of work. We contracted for 500 lines or 1,000 lines a day and they didn’t care how you did it or when. They had 48 hour TAT for holidays and gave you exclusive accounts if you earned them and you joined pools of your choosing for the rest. Because of the exclusives (meaning they were yours and yours alone), the money was good, so taxes weren’t too much of an issue. No PTO, but at least I could take time off with no hassle if I wanted to. BUT THAT ALL CHANGED when we were bought by Nuance and made employees (code word for slave labor). After four years of that, I am back to being an IC again and feeling once again like a competent and valued transcriptionist.
I’m afraid that being an employee now almost anywhere in medical transcription means mostly VR for peanuts. What I did was I actually kept my employee status job with Nuance and did part time IC for a while (yes, I worked long days). When the last of what used to be my accounts were gone and replaced with half VR recently (among other things), I finally left, but at least I still had my part-time job. I have since found another part-time, so I’m back to steady work. I highly recommend having more than one account.
You sound like a very conscientious IC, one that would step in and help, not one of the fly-bys I used to share a pool with. Good luck to you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)
  • IC Advice - I am an IC (Views: 719, 2016-10-07, 10:10 am)
    • IC Advice - beenthere
    • Being an IC - alb8ros (Views: 537, 2016-10-10, 10:27 am)