Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

Explanations for OOW situations. So sorry this is - happening to you with no one to explain.

Posted: Jun 3rd, 2016 - 6:39 pm In Reply to: WHERE IS THE WORK... - ON ES11?

This was first posted in 2015, but after reading your question and many of the comments and posts below I decided to post it again. I feel it is important to understand the Nuance business model.

MTs typing or editing reports is not how Nuance makes the bulk of their money. In fact, MTs are only an unfortunate necessity (temporarily) until their newly installed software (at whatever facility you are working) is refined sufficiently that you are no longer needed.

Nuance is primarily a software company; they develop sophisticated medical software that has to go through months of beta testing and fine tuning at each new contracted facility. Conveniently for Nuance, medical software development came with a built-in workforce of skilled beta testers and fine tuners (MTs) that are a whole lot cheaper than software engineers.

Nuance "acquired" (bought) many of you from facilities and kept you on staff because they needed you until they could get their new software fully functional at that facility. Once voice wreck is sufficiently trained to particular providers, you are no longer needed except for the very hardest, most difficult to understand providers, but eventually even those are outsourced to yet another (even cheaper) workforce in India.

MTs are like the last miners in the last vein of coal on the planet. Not only are Nuance MTs training their very replacements (voice rec technology), whatever left over work is going elsewhere because it can be done more cheaply.

THIS is why you keep running low on work. Your longevity at this company is/was not even on their radar screen... You are helping them unemploy yourself.

Nuance keeps a constantly revolving door of new hires, people leaving when they catch onto this, new hires, people leaving fairly quickly, etc. There are a few people who have stuck it out, but they have had to train on new accounts and/or whole new platforms many times to stay employed.

The company cannot, of course, and will not ever admit this to anyone, else all new hires would go elsewhere. And remember, they need a steady stream of unsuspecting MTs to sign on and type/train software for them, so in addition to the decrease in work due to voice wreck and offshoring, sometimes there are just too many people on an account also. Expect to be asked to go to another shift, add a new account, and learn new platforms FAIRLY REGULARLY, and you will get along just fine.

I hope this helps you. I wish someone had told me the truth. I wish you the best and encourage you as soon as possible to begin training for another line of work. Yes, there will be a need for at least 1 miner to go down the shaft and close up shop someday, but every day between now and that date, there will be fewer and fewer miners with steady work.

P.S. You will likely always be OOW before, during, and after holidays, and just generally lower in work volume all summer long. This certainly doesn't help either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)