Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

She didn't say never see an ESL physician, she said - True that

Posted: May 7th, 2016 - 8:33 am In Reply to: I sure hope you are being sarcastic - unbelievable

don't see one that can't communicate in decent English. And she has a very valid point. How good is your overall care going to be if what the doctor says is incomprehensible to or is misunderstood by almost everyone else on your healthcare team? It doesn't matter how good a clinician or surgeon he/she is, poor communication in English is a danger to you.

That's not racist, that's plain common sense. I, too, have transcribed many ESL physicians. Some of them just had an accent in English which gave some MTs difficulty. (Although I've known an MT from Massachusetts be completely flummoxed by a heavy Alabama drawl as well, so that's not just an ESL problem.) Other ESLs, though, had such language difficulties that they simply could not express their findings and recommendations understandably. That's a huge problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)