Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Why I am still here - Teresa

Posted: Mar 3rd, 2016 - 7:54 am In Reply to: If you recognize this, why are you still there? - Got out years ago

I am still here because I believe that the importance of getting the facts straight is a big deal. I am still here because when I had a major car accident and nearly lost my life, I had to go back to school. I am still here because this is where I found my niche. I am still here because coding is the most boring job on the face of the earth. I am still here because transcription, working at home, and not having to put up with people in an office setting works for me. I am still here, even though I am qualified to manage an HIM dept, because I am passionate about it.

KUDOS for YOU that you had the foresight to run or "get out" as you put it when I chose to stick it out because I cared. Kudos for you that you were able to move on and find such gainful employment. I chose to continue my job at home so that I could care for parents that were dying of kidney disease and cancer. I stayed working at home in this profession so that I could handle every detail following their deaths. I stayed in this profession because driving 100 miles a day to find a job that pays 6 figures is just not feasible. I stayed in this profession because it meant something to me. While it appears that it only took you a short amount of time to bail, I decided to try and see it through.

KUDOS for YOU that you found such amazing money! The average wage for a Michigan coder is 36K. If you are LUCKY enough to be making 6 figures, yay for you because you live in a region where the pay scale is higher or you've just been at it that many years.

Regardless of whether a manager has a "brain in their head," I can see what is happending in coding and I did not speak any mistruth about it. There are already offices with programs in place that do it for the doctor. Those coding jobs are now being replaced with "editors" just like in transcription. If you think they will continue to pay 6 figures for a job that will be nothing more than hunting and pecking, think again. Sorry, but you are wrong in thinking this will not happen in coding. After all, in a mere 14 weeks you can be a medical coder at home. Sound familiar to the commericals on TV for medical transcription?

I am not "focused on organizations out of date for 10-15 years in the past." My point is and was that they have "given up" on the very people that have put them in business - coders and transcriptionists, the medical industry.

I will direct anyone interested to an article on computer-assisted coding from AHIMA (that dinosaur!). Read it. It tells you in black and white that this is the new trend for coding.

http://library.ahima.org/xpedio/groups/public/documents/ahima/bok1_047691.hcsp?dDocName=bok1_047691

In your last statement, "I don't know that all of the remaining MTs would be able to learn coding" --- really? Do you think that being a coder requires more brain power than an MT? Do you not know that by completing an RHIT program you are qualified to do both? Therefore, your statement is HIGHLY offensive to the MT, and I think that statment coming from someone who used to be in the profession is pretty crappy. I don't think you are appropriate in your comments and unsubstantiated misunderstandings regarding the MT profession and other fields associated with it either, so we are even on that.

I will say this: When you have lost your job to a software program and the almighty bottom line, come talk to me. See how you feel then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)