A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

s/l FiO2 on 35% tracheostomy mask is 92% - kiki

Posted: Jul 30, 2010

s/l FiO2 on 35% tracheostomy mask is 92%. I'm used to FiO2 being a much lower number.  Does this make sense?

I had a trach once with FI02 at 40%... I just looked at my records - lindawordlady

[ In Reply To ..]
I was in a very bad MVA 2 yrs ago and in the hospital for a month with many fractures and airway problems at the time. I have a catalog of records and that is the only FI02 that I could find, 40%.

Maybe this will help - Janie

[ In Reply To ..]

This might help some:

Face mask or tracheostomy mask with entrainment device

Simple face mask or Tracheostomy mask with entrainment device used in conjunction with humidification system.

This is system is useful in accurately delivering low concentrations of oxygen (24-35%). It can provide total ventilatory requirement unaffected by the pattern of ventilation by the entrainment of room air into the delivery system which increases the total air flow to patient and to deliver a specific FiO2. Rebreathing of expired gas is not a problem because the mask is flushed by the high flow rates. Therefore this system reduces the risk of carbon dioxide retention.

NOTE: While a specific FiO2 is delivered to the patient, the inspired FiO2 rate (ie what the patient actually receives) varies as this is dependent on:

flow rate

mask size and fit

the patient's ventilation rate

Entrainment Devices

Entrainment devices entrain (draw in) room air into the delivery system. This mixes with the oxygen flow from the wall to give the desired oxygen percentage. 

Total flow must exceed the patient's peak inspiratory demand.

To ensure that the patient's ventilatory requirements are met, read the product information and set the entrainment device and wall flow according to the manufacturer's recommendations (see the diagram opposite).

Oxygen should be humidified and warmed (set at 33 degrees Celsius) as dry compressed gas is drying and may damage the tracheal mucosa.

Not effective for FiO2 greater than 0.50 (if >50% required consider a non - rebreather mask) 

http://www.rch.org.au/rchcpg/index.cfm?doc_id=13531

Similar Messages:

An Aquaplast BrainLAB Mask Was Used With A "prin All Over" Mask.
Feb 17, 2011

For radiation oncology simulation:  An Aquaplast BrainLAB mask was used with a "prin all over" mask.  ...

ASR And FIO2
Sep 09, 2010

ASR always has it listed as "FIO2," but I always end up changing it to "FiO2" because I'm afraid of getting dinged on on an audit.  Is it acceptable to leave it as "FIO2" with a capital I , just simply a preference issue?  Has anyone ever gotten dinged by leaving it the way ASR has it?  I know ASR always types S1-S2 for heart sounds, which is incorrect, so don't really trust its accuracy that much!! Thanks in advance for any feedback!! =) ...

Oxygen Mask
Jan 02, 2011

The patient maintained his oxygen saturation via s/l Bags-off mask. Help if you can please!! ...

Pelvic Mask
Feb 11, 2014

right pelvic s/l silo mask.   ...

T-mask (?) Added To Increas Oxygenation
Sep 05, 2010

I've never heard of a T-mask.  Is that correct?  The sentence reads:   O2 sat initially was 83%.  She was placed on oxygen with increase in O2 sat to a mere 90, and then T-mask was added.   It sounds just like T mask, but I can't find that anywhere.  Is that correct? ...

Tracheostomy
Aug 24, 2010

tracheostomy tube:  tip is at "???" level i've been looking into this one for what feels like ages... ...

Tracheostomy Slang
Dec 06, 2010

When a doctor dictates for a tracheostomy and says "trach", is it trach or trache?  Also, is it okay to type trach or trache, or should you put tracheostomy? Thanks. ...

Tracheostomy Terminology
Mar 28, 2012

"Ongoing tracheostomy with 8 liters of oxygen per the s/l HAG (or HEG) flow by." I haven't found anything with the "HAG" or "HEG" yet or even anything on a tracheostomy "flow by".  He sometimes dictates things backwards and I have to reword quite a bit.   ...

Tracheostomy - SCIP Protocol
Nov 03, 2011

Cannot verify "SCIP/SKIP" protocol will not be used.  Any verifications/thoughts?  Thanks. ...

Infection Around The Tracheostomy Site - Hypen?
May 14, 2010

Patient has chronic infection around his tracheotomy site, but he dictates it as "chronic Staph infection peri tracheal site." Should this be hyphenated? Smooshed together? Left seperated as above?   Thanks! ...

S/l RS Gag And Is Now On Aerosol Tracheostomy Collar With A Passy-Muir Valve
May 19, 2010

He has not been able to pass his s/l RS gag and is now on aerosol tracheostomy collar with a Passy-Muir valve, and his speech is clear. ...

Tracheostomy Procedure...We Asked Anesthesia To Withdrawn Their Tube And Placed Our
May 25, 2010

s/l "8 Jackson 9" tracheostomy under direct visualization. ...

Pt With Radiation Therapy To Forehead In Simulation Note "A Smallerford Mask" Was Made For
Jun 09, 2010

d ...

"easy Mask" Anesthesia. Need Correct Spelling. Sm
Oct 08, 2011

The patient was put to sleep using "easy mask."  Can anyone tell me if this is a brand name, and if so how is it spelled?  I can't find it in my references nor by googling.  Thanks! ...

Pt Underwent An "elect Out" Tracheostomy. (larynx Cancer)
Sep 11, 2011

:) ...

Is It FI02, FIO2 Of Fi02?
Oct 07, 2013

Is it FI02, FIO2 of Fi02?  ty ...

S/l "platiso" Muscle (tracheostomy)
Sep 15, 2012

A new dictator to me is dictating an tracheostomy.  He says, "Incision was carried down through the subcutaneous tissue and s/l platiso muscle using the Bovie." I have googled neck muscles. Maybe I'm not seeing the correct muscle group, but if someone know what this is, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.   ...