A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Okay, need info after an extended and heated discussion with QA .... - anon

Posted: Mar 28, 2011

Should a speciality such as neurology, orthopedics, etc., be capitalized in a sentence?  Example would be ... No neurology consult has been ordered.   I am receiving conflicting information from QA.

TIA

In my experience - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
In the example you have given I would not capitalize the speciality. I was taught to capitalize if the sentence read something like this - At St. Mary's Hospital their Neurology Department ordered a consult.

i was told - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
In your example, you would not capitalize neurology.

However, if you can replace the speciality with a a proper name, then you would: Consultation with Neurology will be requested. (consultation with Joe will be requested).

Does that help?

Correct - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That's what I do (or want to do), capitalize it when a name could be inserted in its place. But, alas, I have a client who wants it capitalized no matter what, and another one who doesn't want it capitalized ever. Go figure on something so silly as this would get one marked down on a audit.

re: anon - saddle sore MT

[ In Reply To ..]
In your example, no it would not be capitalized. I agree with the sample below, that if you can substitute a name in the place, then yes, capitalize it.

It is also my experience that with QA, there is NOTHING we can do right!

Talk to your CCM and the QA coach together, but read over the client profile to see if there is something specific there first though.

no. not in that example. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

I was just corrected - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
on this and told if it is used as an entity it is capitalized, which to me is very confusing. In the above example, I would say it is an entity. but, Consult with a neurologist is not needed, it would not be an entity. Your guess is as good as mine. Depends on QA person, I guess.

The examples given above - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
help to determine if it is an entity or not. If you can replace the word with a proper noun, i.e., Dr. Brown, then it is an entity and should be capitalized.

This is all according to the BOS 3, QA did not make it up. Granted, there are some QA folks who don't understand it either, which is what leads to confusion.

What also contributes to confusion is different accounts that don't follow the BOS.

Similar Messages:

I Wish There Was Such A Thing As A Heated Keyboard
Sep 28, 2012

x ...

Regarding Medscribe HIM (formerly NJ, Now Florida). I Saw A Pretty Heated Exchange...
Aug 28, 2012

from May/June 2012 between the QA and a former employee. I'm interested in an IC supplemental position, but I'm a little concerned about relationships there. I'm also wondering if anyone is on the account they are hiring for? The ad says many dictators on VR should NOT be on VR, and I know that's true for a lot of companies. Is it just honesty, or are there some authors that are worse than bad? Any input appreciated! ...

Dazzling Stupid 6.1 Drawing Extended
Sep 13, 2010

They are not even giving a date... just waiting for everyone to have the opportunity.   Could those of you just sitting there waiting for someone to force you just download the program and use it already.  Some of us are inpatient! ...

Drug S/l Navelex 15 (or 50) Mg Extended Release
Jul 28, 2011

I'm having trouble finding this last drug name in a very long list of them.  It s/l navelex 15 (or 50) mg extended release, 1 tab daily.  The patient has a defibrillator for congestive heart failure, galactorrhea, and a history of a breast mass.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! ...

Ortho Word - At Which Point A Curvilinear Incision Was Extended Into The Base Of The HYPOTHENUM
May 14, 2014

Doc dictating carpal tunnel release OP note. He states "at which point a curvilinear incision was extended into the base of the HYPOTHENUM, volar aspect of right wrist." I cannot verify that "hypothenum" is actually a real word. Has anyone heard of this? Thanks. ...

Along The Same Vein As The QA Discussion Below, Here's An Example Of An
Sep 03, 2011

unnecessary blank.  This is before I ever even start to listen to the report... In the medication list: _____ 0.4 mg sublingually p.r.n. chest pain. NOW, I don't care how badly the dictator butchered the word, it is OBVIOUS what this blank should be even WITHOUT listening to the dictation.  Any MT worth a dime, would be able to deduce what the doctor was saying.  There is more to this job than simply typing what you hear!  ...

The Discussion Over Potassium Value Of 216.
May 08, 2012

Although my view on this issue is that, yes, a seasoned transcriptionist should recognize that 216 was not the proper value (and I can see QA flagging that as a serious error), the point I'd like to make is that this is the crazy problem with MTSOs thinking that ASR can replace the human, experienced transcriptionist. Without an MT's knowledge that "this value" or "that dosage" doesn't make sense, this is exactly the type of error that ASR will continue to crank out.  The qu ...

Boostaroo: Re A Small Discussion About
Sep 11, 2010

This is mentioned as a great product to increase the volume on voice files.  I went to Radio Shack and checked it out.  The picture shows what looks like a very short cord.  Could someone explain how this works?  I currently have to plug my headset directly into the front of my computer because there was no sound when I plugged them into my speakers.  Would I plug the Boostaroo into the computer?  Does the headset then plug into the Boostaroo?  Also, in the pic ...

There Is A Fantastic Discussion About Nuance Going On Over On The
Aug 03, 2014

It is information that I wish had been shared here instead. See tabs at left, Company Board. Start with a line that says Max frustration... Very good hard data, not just you and me moaning!   ...

From The Discussion About Automation Below - Just Some Thoughts
Jan 20, 2015

can't remember who's quote this is, but I read it in my teens, and he was an American Indian looking to the future (even back then) and he was wondering how "man is going to survive his own insignificance." now it makes even more sense to me... am a fan of Isaac Asimov and his science fiction novels (he actually was a professor of biochemistry) and especially the robot series - he wrote these futuristic type mysteries all involving robots and they give such a good description of what ...

What Other Discussion Boards Are There For Coders?
Mar 10, 2015

I've found a few but they all have very old posts of them.  I alraedy know about the AAPC boards of course.   Thank you. ...

Is There A Coder Discussion Board Besides The One On MTStars?
Dec 29, 2011

Perhaps another website coder discussion board would help an MT decide what avenue to explore.... ...

I'm Ignorant About IPads Etc - Open Discussion
Jan 10, 2013

I confess to being totally ignorant about technology newer than laptops (okay, so my age is showing ....) In the past when travelling and working I have always taken my laptop with me, but it seems so cumbersome compared to what others seem to be using. However when I have looked at smaller options I am not sure that they would handle all the attachments that go with this job (I use external keyboard and mouse for my fat fingers), headphones, foot pedal etc and I am not sure they would allow m ...

We Had A Discussion Earlier About Unpaid Work
Jun 07, 2015

And I was told that they "give" you extra in each report. I had a no dictation report and the line count is 0.02 of a line. Is that what you deem satisfactory for the unpaid work we do? ...

Why Do Topics Disappear? Looking For Discussion From A Day Or So Ago About Webmedx/MTEC
Mar 12, 2010

There was a discussion started a couple days ago discussing MTEC and the relationship with Webmedx that was interesting, and I can not find it anywhere. Any ideas where it went off to, and if it disappeared, why?!? Thanks!! ...

There Was A Discussion On The Company Board About Tax Deducions And I'm Curious. Sm
Feb 03, 2013

Their discussion got a little heated and I'm not interested in that, but I have been an IC the last couple of years and I have never had enough deductions to itemize -- is that unusual? I am single, no dependents, my office portion of my apartment is only about 10%, so that means only about $100/month for rent/utilities/internet, so still way below the standard deduction. Am I missing something? TIA. ...

Concerning The Discussion A Few Days Ago About Which Heading Gait Testing Goes Under.
Jun 27, 2015

Gait testing is part of the neurological examination and should therefore go under that heading.  From my perspective, healthcare document integrity should hold sway over account specs or doctor preferences.  Too many doctors think all that matters is what they say or how they interpret what is said, which is total bunk.  If that were true, we would all just start typing melanotic stools every time one of these medical geniuses dictates that because certainly there isn't a do ...

Mass Extended To "temple Avada" And Duodenal Wall.
May 11, 2012

Pathology showed a pancreated head mass that extended to "temple avada" and duodenal wall.  ...

Info On Accentus US Ambulatory? Is It Associated With Nuance? Any Info Appreciated. NmNm
Feb 18, 2014

Xx ...

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME INFO ON GLOBAL INFO SYSTEMS (GIS)
Jan 10, 2010

Looking for information about Global Info Systems.  Can anyone telll me anythihng about them.  Thank you. ...

Anyone Have Info/work For Global Info In Texas???
Jul 04, 2012

Need to know any info ASAP on I think its called Global Info Systems or something like that out of Texas. Lots of clinic work, but low low line rate offered. Need to know about management, stability, VR reality, workload, response from tech support, etc. Also, are these clinics in India? Thanks for any help! ...

If You Can't Get Course Info Without Leaving Info So They Can Call/spam You
Sep 12, 2012

It isn't easy to get off some of the spam and phone call lists when you click for more information about some of these courses. I've found that for me, it isn't worth it to get that information if I am giving up my privacy. Some of these people are relentless! You can't get away from them once they get your information. There is one in particular that makes sure you hear from them every day in one form or another. They become your best friend, even if you weren't lookin ...

Any Info On GIS (Global Info Systems) Out Of TX? I
Jan 21, 2012

I applied for an MT position with them.  I don't see anything recent on the boards and wondered if they were a good company to work for.  TIA ...

Global Info Systems - Info?
Dec 13, 2012

I am testing with GIS this evening, does anyone have any information on this company. I am currently working with TTS, they do not even pay 4 CPL for editing. I feel like this business has become a legalized form of slavery. The only business where with over 10 years of experience, your pay goes down. ...

Info On TTD, Inc?
Oct 22, 2009

Hi any info on this co. is much appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Any Info On MD-IT?
Nov 01, 2009

Does anyone have any information or experience with MD-IT such as platform, pay, etc?  I have tried doing a search of past and recent archives and was uanble to find anything. ...

OSI - Any Info
Jan 15, 2010

Any info would be helpful. ...

I Just Need To Add, Regarding The CMT Info
Mar 26, 2010

My current CCM is one of the best of the many I've had. I had previously worked with her on this account from1999 until we were sold to MQ in 2005; she is my 6th or 7th CCM here at MedQuist. She is very familiar with our hospital, very friendly, easy to communicate with, quick to answer emails, and always keeps us up to date. The CMT differential was mentioned earlier as part of MQ new plan; if you have not heard yet, maybe your CCM has not gotten around to it.  The 0.005 cpl i ...

Does Anyone Have Any Info On MD-IT
Mar 31, 2010

Does anyone have any info on MD-IT other than what's on their site?  I didn't find anything in the archives and was wondering if they're a good company to work for. Thanks! ...

MD-IT Info?
Jun 16, 2010

Does anybody have any info on MD-IT?  I cannot find much at all and nothing very current.  thanks. ...