A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

There was a discussion on the company board about tax deducions and I'm curious. sm - Old MT

Posted: Feb 03, 2013

Their discussion got a little heated and I'm not interested in that, but I have been an IC the last couple of years and I have never had enough deductions to itemize -- is that unusual? I am single, no dependents, my office portion of my apartment is only about 10%, so that means only about $100/month for rent/utilities/internet, so still way below the standard deduction. Am I missing something? TIA.

I don't have enough to itemize, but I have enough - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
to lower my IC income by 500. With all my other deductions I still don't have more than the standard deduction. I can't imagine that anyone who works as an IC would have that much expenses. If they have multiple accounts they might have more expenses, but still not that much, unless they maintain an office independent of their residence.

Do not forget home office deduction if you have - an office dedicated to your work.

[ In Reply To ..]
That should be a decent deduction right there.

depends on size of your - living space

[ In Reply To ..]
and then only can use a "percentage" of that. All ICs pretty much know about what sort of deductions they can and cannot take.
Yes it is a percentage and employees can take this - deduction also, not just IC.
[ In Reply To ..]
The percentage is simply the square footage of the space used for work in comparison to the total living space. You'd be amazed how many don't know and don't take the deduction.

Doesn't IC income go on Schedule C? - Doubt that has changed since I last owned a busine

[ In Reply To ..]
In which case the "standard deduction" is irrelevant -- THAT goes on your 1040.

yes it goes on a schedule C - but if still not more than

[ In Reply To ..]
the standardized deduction, it cannot be used as deductions. Schedule C is just pretty much a "calculator" to see how much your deductions COULD be. If they are still lower than the standardized deduction, you cannot use them. You cannot use both, but one or the other! Not trying to start another argument, but this has been my experience with taxes.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Schedule A not C - Did taxes for H & R Block years ago

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
no. - no.
[ In Reply To ..]
I know the difference...so NO. I wouldn't trust H&R block to change my kids diapers much less do taxes...talk to 6 different people get six different answers. I am not stupid. I know the difference between A and C!
Sorry, but you're wrong - See message
[ In Reply To ..]

Okay, here's a link to the IRS Schedule C form.  On what line number are you finding a reference to the standard deduction?

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

On the other hand, here is a link to IRS Schedule A.  On line 29, you will see that it tells you to enter the amount on Form 1040, line 40:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf

Now, if you go to Form 1040, line 40:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

You will see that on line 40, big as life, it says quite clearly, "Itemized deductions (from Schedule A) or your standard deduction."

Again, I'm sorry, but you are confusing Schedule C with Schedule A.

no - no
[ In Reply To ..]
no.

Income and business expenses Schedule C - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
The total from Schedule C (income less expenses) is put on the front page of 1040 as your income. I claim everything: Ink, paper, monthly fee for a cloud service, Christmas gifts sent to clients, etc. It takes off a couple thousand a year. In the case of an independent contractor, the IC would claim expenses on Schedule C and standard deductions on line 40 of the 1040.

This should not be confused with itemized deductions, line 40 (Schedule A) which is to be used by employees. I could see where it would not benefit an employee to itemize on Schedule A and s/he would want to take the standard deduction.

Thanks for the help -- I am clearer about things now. sm - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I really wish I could find an employee position that paid well so I wouldn't have to deal with this, but as long as I have to be an IC, I might as well get this tax stuff right and not pay any more than I have to pay. :-)

Similar Messages:

Is There A Coder Discussion Board Besides The One On MTStars?
Dec 29, 2011

Perhaps another website coder discussion board would help an MT decide what avenue to explore.... ...

Curious About The Job Wanted Board . . .
May 17, 2010

I am curious if anyone who has posted on the Job Wanted Board if you have actually had anyone contact you regarding your experience.   I am wondering if companies actually look at this or are other MTs seeing who their competition is . . .   Just curious.  thanks ...

Curious About Job Seeker's Board
Aug 05, 2010

Does anyone know why the ad "Calling All Medical Transcriptionists and Medical Editors (pre-delivery)!" is always at the top of the job seeker's board. It is dated July 19, 2010, and all the newer postings are always listed below this ad. ...

Fine, We Will Just Post On The Main Board Or Company Board Then... Nm
Oct 12, 2014

On Company Board, Under Post You Quit A Company
Sep 11, 2011

what's going on? ...

Just Curious: Does ANY Company Out There Give Christmas Gifts Anymore?
Dec 18, 2012

OTI doesn't anymore. :o( ...

ANYONE NOTICE COMPANY BOARD
Aug 27, 2011

I still browse the site although I have pretty much left the field due to companies such as the ones being mentioned on the company board over and over and over and over ... sorry got carried away.  These type of companies are what ruined this field of work.  It was a field of pride in your job, worked hard for our money always as we were always paid by production.  How is that more and more its required to have a typed document yet our pay has gone down significantly? ?? take not ...

Another Question About Searching In The Company Board
Nov 12, 2009

When I try to search for some company that has very common words in it like "Transcription Unlimited" my results are really not what I'm looking for - like posts about unlimited long-distance calls.  Is there a way around this problem? ...

Job Seekers Board Post With No Company Name
Apr 01, 2010

Why is there a post on the Job Seekers Board with no company name?  Also, you can reply by email, but the name is still undisclosed.  I thought that was not allowed.  Who would send a resume to some unknown person/company?     ...

Is The Company Board Shut Down Or Broken? Nm
May 24, 2010

nm ...

ATTN: ALL COMPANY BOARD POSTERS - SM
Jun 25, 2011

Enough of this bickering.  Stop it. Each one of you have to simply accept that there are others out there who have NOT had YOUR particular experience with the company in question (i.e., whichever company is being discussed).  Having a positive experience with a company or simply not agreeing with you does not make the other poster a "suit" or "management" so stop with that labeling.  As well, stop with the accusations that those with negative posts are "whiners" or "babies" or " ...

Job Seeker's Board, Orthopedic MTs; Company Name Not Given.
Sep 08, 2010

nm ...

Whoa, What Is Happening To The Company Board?
Jan 25, 2013

nm ...

How Do I Look Up A Company On The Company Board?
Nov 09, 2009

I'm trying to do research on some companies before applying.  Can anyone tell me how to do this or if it is possible to do this yet on MTStars?  Also if you know of other web sites that are good for this type of research, that would be helpful as well. ...

No Company Name, Anyone Know Who The QA Position Is For On The Job Seeker’s Board
Dec 09, 2010

How come all the questionable job openings all happen about the same time? Anyone know what company the QA Recruiter is working for?  There is no company name listed and there is absolutely nothing on Google for that Email address.   ...

Excuse Me, Back To Company Board Business. Any Info On All Physician's Trans?
Apr 25, 2012

TIA!   ...

Along The Same Vein As The QA Discussion Below, Here's An Example Of An
Sep 03, 2011

unnecessary blank.  This is before I ever even start to listen to the report... In the medication list: _____ 0.4 mg sublingually p.r.n. chest pain. NOW, I don't care how badly the dictator butchered the word, it is OBVIOUS what this blank should be even WITHOUT listening to the dictation.  Any MT worth a dime, would be able to deduce what the doctor was saying.  There is more to this job than simply typing what you hear!  ...

The Discussion Over Potassium Value Of 216.
May 08, 2012

Although my view on this issue is that, yes, a seasoned transcriptionist should recognize that 216 was not the proper value (and I can see QA flagging that as a serious error), the point I'd like to make is that this is the crazy problem with MTSOs thinking that ASR can replace the human, experienced transcriptionist. Without an MT's knowledge that "this value" or "that dosage" doesn't make sense, this is exactly the type of error that ASR will continue to crank out.  The qu ...

Boostaroo: Re A Small Discussion About
Sep 11, 2010

This is mentioned as a great product to increase the volume on voice files.  I went to Radio Shack and checked it out.  The picture shows what looks like a very short cord.  Could someone explain how this works?  I currently have to plug my headset directly into the front of my computer because there was no sound when I plugged them into my speakers.  Would I plug the Boostaroo into the computer?  Does the headset then plug into the Boostaroo?  Also, in the pic ...

There Is A Fantastic Discussion About Nuance Going On Over On The
Aug 03, 2014

It is information that I wish had been shared here instead. See tabs at left, Company Board. Start with a line that says Max frustration... Very good hard data, not just you and me moaning!   ...

From The Discussion About Automation Below - Just Some Thoughts
Jan 20, 2015

can't remember who's quote this is, but I read it in my teens, and he was an American Indian looking to the future (even back then) and he was wondering how "man is going to survive his own insignificance." now it makes even more sense to me... am a fan of Isaac Asimov and his science fiction novels (he actually was a professor of biochemistry) and especially the robot series - he wrote these futuristic type mysteries all involving robots and they give such a good description of what ...

What Other Discussion Boards Are There For Coders?
Mar 10, 2015

I've found a few but they all have very old posts of them.  I alraedy know about the AAPC boards of course.   Thank you. ...

Okay, Need Info After An Extended And Heated Discussion With QA ....
Mar 28, 2011

Should a speciality such as neurology, orthopedics, etc., be capitalized in a sentence?  Example would be ... No neurology consult has been ordered.   I am receiving conflicting information from QA.   TIA ...

I'm Ignorant About IPads Etc - Open Discussion
Jan 10, 2013

I confess to being totally ignorant about technology newer than laptops (okay, so my age is showing ....) In the past when travelling and working I have always taken my laptop with me, but it seems so cumbersome compared to what others seem to be using. However when I have looked at smaller options I am not sure that they would handle all the attachments that go with this job (I use external keyboard and mouse for my fat fingers), headphones, foot pedal etc and I am not sure they would allow m ...

We Had A Discussion Earlier About Unpaid Work
Jun 07, 2015

And I was told that they "give" you extra in each report. I had a no dictation report and the line count is 0.02 of a line. Is that what you deem satisfactory for the unpaid work we do? ...

Why Do Topics Disappear? Looking For Discussion From A Day Or So Ago About Webmedx/MTEC
Mar 12, 2010

There was a discussion started a couple days ago discussing MTEC and the relationship with Webmedx that was interesting, and I can not find it anywhere. Any ideas where it went off to, and if it disappeared, why?!? Thanks!! ...

Concerning The Discussion A Few Days Ago About Which Heading Gait Testing Goes Under.
Jun 27, 2015

Gait testing is part of the neurological examination and should therefore go under that heading.  From my perspective, healthcare document integrity should hold sway over account specs or doctor preferences.  Too many doctors think all that matters is what they say or how they interpret what is said, which is total bunk.  If that were true, we would all just start typing melanotic stools every time one of these medical geniuses dictates that because certainly there isn't a do ...

MODERATOR: I See A New Board Offshore, Did You Consider A VR Board?
Oct 13, 2009

nm ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

Just Curious, Did Anyone At DTS
Dec 29, 2009

Did any DTS employees get a Christmas gift, bonus or even a card this year?  (obviously I didn't) ...