A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How to type: Given his "50 plus pack year" history of smoking. - traci

Posted: May 26, 2010

d

huh - rc

[ In Reply To ..]
that's a really awkward way of saying it...but anyways, here's how i'd do it:

"+50 pack a year history of smoking"

Pack-years is different than packs a year. - coffin nails

[ In Reply To ..]
Pack-years is the number of packs a day multiplied by the number of years smoking. So, 50 pack-years could be two packs a day for 25 years or one pack a day for 50 years, etc.

Given his 50 plus pack-year history of smoking, nm - Lilly

[ In Reply To ..]
`

Given his 50+ pack-year history of smoking - is how I type it

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I had learned that...sm - Lilly

[ In Reply To ..]
you should never use the + sign when referring to more than a certain number but to use the word "plus"...But I am old school so maybe the rules have changed.

Thanks so much guys! It was a bit tricky for me :) - traci

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

50-plus-pack-year - (whole phrase is adjective)

[ In Reply To ..]
50-plus-pack-year smoking history. ;)

I agree with this "50-plus-pack-year smoking history - omg /comp adj

[ In Reply To ..]
this is how my company wants us to type it.

Similar Messages:

Pt Has A " Thirty Plus Pack Year History" Of Smoking. How To Type?
Jun 25, 2010

:) ...

She Has A "1-year Pack History" Of Smoking. How To Type?
Aug 10, 2010

:) ...

Pt Had A "3-year Pack-history" Of Smoking. How To Type?
May 31, 2011

?? ...

How Would You Type "25 To 30 Year History Of Smoking." Sm
Sep 08, 2011

25-30-year history or 25 to 30-year history? Or something else? Thanks! ...

Proper Way To Type Smoking History
Sep 30, 2011

What is the proper way to transcribe: "... a 25 to 30-pack-year history of smoking..." Can someone please provide a reference in the BOS (3rd edition). Thanks!! ...

Pt Has A "several Year" History Of A Slowly-growing Mass. Hyphen Several Year?
Jan 25, 2011

? ...

3- To 4-year History
Apr 27, 2012

A 3- to 4-year history of diabetes. Are the hyphens correct here? I am totally blanking out. ...

How Would You Type: For The Past Year-year And A Half?
Sep 09, 2011

.. ...

Long Day..How Would You Type (this Is In Family History) Sm
Jun 03, 2011

father of the baby's brother had (this account is verbatim). Thanks so much! ...

How Would You Type 74, Nearly-75-year-old Man? Not Quite Awake This A.m. Nm
Mar 26, 2011

.. ...

How To Type *a 15 And 11/12th Year Old*
Mar 03, 2011

Would this be a 15-year 11/12-month or a 15-11/12-year-old or ?? TIA ...

How Is The New Year Looking At Silent Type? Nm
Jan 02, 2014

? ...

How Would You Type, 69- Nearly 70-year-old Woman? Would That Be Correct? Thanks! Nm
Sep 22, 2012

.. ...

13-year 2-month-old Male How Should I Type It
Jun 05, 2015

Hello everyone, appreciate some opinions on this.  He states 13-year 2-month-old male but I am not absolutely positive on hyphenating this, not use to them dictating the years and the months. ...

How Would You Write "25-plus-year History"?
Dec 05, 2012

Would it be 25-plus-year history or 25+ year history? Thanks. ...

How Do You Put 20-year-old In Auto Correct/expanded Type?
Jul 21, 2011

sx ...

How Would You Type For Verbatim Acct, 87- Almost-88-year-old Male?
Sep 16, 2011

.. ...

He Dictates"He Is A Reportedly Healthy 3+ 10-year-old Child" Is This How It Should Be Type
Nov 17, 2009

NM ...

Pt Has A History Of S/l Bowel-en-i-tis Bi-mo-sis. Pt Also Has A History Of Colon CA.
Jan 21, 2010

x   ...

How Do You Type "1 Year And A Half"
Jan 19, 2011

do you type it as I did in the subject line or do you type "one and one-half years"? ...

Smoking Cessation Drug Help
Mar 19, 2010

Different ways to try to quit smoking was discussed including stopping on his own, starting nicotine gum, and even using over-the-counter stuff like s/l Ease smoke. Never heard of this drug before..is this correct? ...

Smoking Cessation Prescription? ...sm
Apr 30, 2011

Patient given refill on s/l co-nicotine or ca-nicotine 7 mg daily for 3 weeks and then hopefully discontinue. Thanks for any ideas on this.  ...

S/l Visible Smoking And Discharge
May 26, 2012

Dictator doing a progress note on a patient status post fem-pop bypass talking about the wound on his thigh. S/L a visible (or invisible) smoking and discharge from the medial aspect of the right thigh.... Does this make sense? ...

Pack-a-day
Jul 05, 2012

Any dr. I transcribe for always says "pack-a-day" even if it's plural.  I.e., "She is a two pack-a-day smoker for twenty years."  I've always changed it to "packs-a-day."  I'm curious if you think I'm right, or if I should transcribe verbatum.  Thanks.  ...

My Husband Asked Me If The People Who Came Up With This New Pay Plan Were Smoking Crack. Sm
Dec 03, 2014

I had to laugh through my disgust. ...

S/l Haydon Pack??
Nov 05, 2009

It's a vaginal hysterectomy. Here's the whole context: A weighted vaginal speculum was inserted. A single double-toothed tenaculum placed on the cervix. Then, a colpotomy incision was made with curved scissors. Upon entering into the cul-de-sac, a _____ pack was inserted, and a Heaney retractor put in place. Haydon pack? Haden pack? Google is NOT my friend today.... ...

S/l Core Pack
Jul 29, 2010

HEENT:  Her pupils react to light.  Her sclerae are clear.  She has a s/l core pack in. ...

XP And Service Pack 3
May 17, 2011

Does anyone know if you can still download SP 3 for XP Professional?  I had heard MS wasn't supporting it any longer.  I need a new computer but company's software doesn't work with Windows 7...or so they say.   ...

Might As Well Pack My Bags
Jul 19, 2013

I have gotten so many Major errors today that it has completely demoralized me.  Never in my life have I been marked off for some of these things and have had my percentage drop to below 98%.  I have always been over 99% and now am being marked off for commas not put in (places that I have never ever placed them before) and capitalizing words in sentences that have never been marked off before but now they are saying that if I can substitute a noun for them they need to be capitalized. ...

Hyphens- 3-day-history Or 3 Day History?
Nov 01, 2010

3-day-history or 3 day history? ...