A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

VR at a lower rate only works on your famliar account.... - Rose

Posted: Nov 10, 2009

I am doing VR on a hospital account that I just started doing in August - the amount of time that I spend researching doesn't change to "half" when I am doing VR from straight.  I don't know the names of the all the doctors, hospitals, clinics, cities, streets, etc. in this account - if the VR puts in Dr. Stevens - I have to double-check to make sure that it doesn't mean Dr. Stephens.  That is all very time-consuming.  I may be able to speed up the audio to 35% or 40%, but each time that I have to stop, even to add a period and capitalize the next letter (which I have in a macro), I have to stop the audio because it will go on ahead of me and then I am no longer reading along.  When I transcribe straight, I have it at about 10% above real-time and I can usually make my corrections "on the fly" and oftentimes do an entire report without stopping the audio.  I wonder also, if the speed that you normally "type" may influence how well you get get along with VR.  I have pretty fast fingers and I do believe that I could type alot of the reports (especially the shorter ones) faster than I can edit them.  Also, with VR, I don't get to take advantage of all my InstantText entries and normals that I have for myself - some of which I can simply plug into the report when I am transcribing at 8 cents a line instead of having to make corrections at 4 cents a line. All things to consider.

Those who talk about having the right software program and they can make the "half" rate work for them - you are very fortunate.  We can't pick the software or the accounts.  We may work for companies that we have been comfortable with for years, but VR is making it very difficult to stay in the business.  I have gone from $25 to $30.00 an hour down to $7 to $8 some hours.  I am no longer getting a day's work in by 3:00 p.m. - I am now often still working at 6:00 p.m. when I started at 5:30 a.m., just to get enough money for a day's work.  I have about five years until retirement.  I no longer suggest MT as a career for young mothers - I don't know that MT will be here five years from now. 

I will try to do what I can to avoid VR, but I know that isn't an option for everyone. 

You said working on VR but trying to avoid? - VR person

[ In Reply To ..]
Confused by that statement. I would never suggest this as a career just because of being a "young mother." That is never the reason to get into this profession just so you can stay home with your kid. You should love the medical field, be fast at typing and/or editing either one and like/love this type work. I really would not suggest to anyone now because of the lowered pay, just not a job most can support their families on. I work doing VR (and straight) for a hospital where I have worked (inhouse and now out for MTSO) for 19 years - BUT it is not the same in that we have so many more ESLs than ever before so it is like a whole new ballgame. Oh, my straight speed is above 120 but I love VR best.

You are right! - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Loving the work should be your first priority - but it is an added bonus to be in a field that you can do at home while raising your children. We all know someone who went to school/took classes to become an MT "so they could be home with their children" and didn't last beyond the first six months because they got into it for the wrong reason.

I'm glad for you that you can do VR and like it. I wish that it could be a choice for us.

No, I donĂ¢€™t know anyone who got into this field - VR person

[ In Reply To ..]
to stay at home with their child. You see, OMG, when I started and for a long time afterwards all transcriptions worked OMG, how could we, in an office setting. I donĂ¢€™t know how in the world we all survived and plus we all had children. We did not have to work at home as others say on here- I have a child, I have to work from home- we really had no choice IF we wanted to work. But the payoff here is we made some heck of good salaries then, the 50-60 thousand ranges, benefits, etc. We were able to raise families, put them in college and pay out of pocket for it (my daughter turned down for financing as I made too much) and we did not miss out on family life either. We worked 8 hours day, 5 days a week, no weekends so glad I was there when the getting was good.

Similar Messages:

MQ Pays 1 Rate For 100% QA, A Lower Rate For Non 100%. How Do You
Oct 29, 2011

ty ...

Going Back To TTS At A Lower Rate Than Before : (
Mar 14, 2012

What's going on with TTS?   When I first worked for them a few years ago they offered a little more than I was making at a national.  I was told they did this to kept quality MTs.  Now the story is different and I was told they need to lower line rates because of competition.  They also lost a manager after years with TTS.  Am I being bamboozled or is there a TTS buyout in sight?  ...

Once Our Benefit Rate Reaches Min Wage Can It Go Lower?????
Jul 15, 2010

NM ...

Anyone Who Works On A Bayscribe Account
Nov 01, 2012

I am curious if your account is going to continue with Bayscribe with Nuance taking over.  I know someone who works for one of these accounts and she tells me she has not received any emails regarding switching platforms, etc.  She also only does straight typing, no VR at all.  ...

Who Works For ACCENTUS On Their Psych Account
Feb 09, 2014

I'm trying to find someone who works for ACCENTUS on their psych account. Would love to compare notes. I recently started working for them as an IC and I'm still not even up to minimum wage! ...

Avg Hourly Rate For Hosp Emp MT Who Works From Home?
Jul 26, 2011

Or where can I find out for myself please?  I just need a range. ...

Bilateral Lower Extremity VS. Bilateral Lower Extremities
Oct 18, 2012

Hi all, There is a discrepancy with the proper use of this - can anyone help? Some at my work are saying it should be bilateral lower extremities, whereas others think it is bilateral lower extremity since the "bilateral" implies that it's plural and hence no need to say "lower extremities." I've seen it both ways, but the more that I think about it the more I'm getting myself confused. Any input would be greatly appreciated! ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Piece Rate/line Rate
Apr 19, 2012

Would someone please tell me what the "piece rate" is on the check stub - and where does it show line rate?  Thank you. ...

I Am So Sick Of Bouncing Around From Account To Account
Nov 07, 2012

What a flippin joke. Didnt Amy say she was going to keep us in 1 account????   OMG, I have done evey account in my BOB this morning as well as some other Bob. I cant keep my head on straight anymore. It is spinning like a top. My production is down to minimum and I am at risk of being fired for not meeting production because some idiot decides to open the cesspool!   GO CCMs! GET YOUR 100% TAT... SCREW THE REST OF US. ...

MT Pay Going Lower And Lower.
Jun 19, 2011

I think it is very easy to see that with MT pay going lower and lower like 2.5 cpl that there will be very few MTs that stay in this business and who would even want to study to become an MT.  This country has lost so many jobs overseas that I have no idea what the future will hold for many people to even try to find work.  Unbelievable to think that we can survive in an American economy on wages that are paid overseas which is exactly what is happening.  It is impossible to do.&n ...

My Pay Keeps Getting Lower And Lower. Nm
Jan 25, 2013

nm ...

Lower And Lower Pay
May 09, 2014

Well I started with a new company this week and so far I have made $31 for the whole week.  I  have never done Radiology before and that was what they put me on.  I am acute care but the hospital I used to work for had their own Radiology Dept, so th is is a new learning curve, plus new doctors, format, etc.  By the time QA gets ahold of reports I feel ike a new student and I have over 35 years exp.  I am beyond depressed.  At least I can put on my resume Radiology ...

Perihalem Lower Lungs
Dec 03, 2009

Perihalem lower lung field. ...

Lower Extremity Examination
Jan 08, 2010

The lower extremities show marked peripheral varicosities.  There are also some excoriated lesions of the lower extremities with some mild scarring secondary to __s/l "thorabnitis". Any ideas?  This M.D. has a tendency to make up words, so he could be saying something totally different than how it sounds. Thanks  ...

She Has S/L SEDs On Both Lower Extremities.
Jan 11, 2010

After bilateral knee arthroplasty, patient has (S/L) SEDs on both lower extremities. I cannot seem to figure this one out. I was thinking TEDs stockings or some mechanical device to prevent DVT? ...

Softscript Aiming Lower Than Ever
Jan 26, 2011

After years of "who cares" from leadership and with the associated expenses being solely covered by MT's they are now flexing their muscles with a new process. It will be interesting to see if the MTs resort to mutiny after all the posts about never hearing from leadership when needed and never having any work month after month year after year.   Mutiny-Probably not since leadership has dug themselves into an "authority" hole by the way they have behaved for so terribly long. ...

Excision, Lesion Right Lower Leg
Mar 31, 2012

Can anyone help with my missing word..sounds like drrav... Lesion was excised in full thickness manner taking a cuff of normal-appearing skin with it. The ___ skin under localization was done prior to full thickness excision. ...

Why Am I Seeing LOWER Line Rates Than Ever?!
Dec 22, 2012

Browsing through the job listings (again), and noticing 7 cpl for IC!?  WHAT?  Why is this industry allowed to get away with this crap!  I worked for the same company for 17 years before the MQ acquired it.  I ended up quitting in 2004.  At that time, I was making 9.5 cpl and had "topped out" at that rate, not having had a raise in more than a year.  Since then, I have been job-hopping and cannot seem to find contentment with any company.  In my experience, t ...

Lower Line Counts
Dec 11, 2013

Last month, I had no problem clearing 1400-1700 lines.  Now, I struggle to even get the 1200 we are required even though I work just as hard if not harder than I did before.  I have continued to eliminate distractions and barely move from my desk, yet my line count seems to continue to drop.  Anyone else having this problem? ...

New Accounts Means Lower Pay
Jul 05, 2014

It seems the minute you get used to an account and are earning a little above minimum wage, they then put you on another account and then you're back to a lower speed because there's lots of new MT Instructions to review and get used to, etc. ...

Lower Line Counts???
Dec 12, 2014

Since this new "compensation plan", is it just me or has anyone else noticed they are working harder than ever, yet getting less lines? ...

Duplex Lower Extremity Bilateral?
Nov 27, 2009

Does anyone know if this is suppose to read "duplex lower extremity bilateral?" ...

Being Paid A Lower Amount Than Promised
Dec 18, 2009

Has anyone ever signed a contract with a company that specified a certain cpl and then when you started, you discovered that you  were being  paid a full cent less, with no explanation?  How did you handle it? ...

Opinions Please-- Would You Accept A Lower Cpl Over A Higher
Nov 12, 2012

7 cpl job has BCBS about 53.00 per pp, dental 4.00 per pp. Employer pays for short term and long term disability, and they pay your life insurance at 2 times your pay. They offer about 28 paid PTO days per year, 8 holidays a year of which you have to work at least 2, profit sharing if company has increased profits for the year, plus 401K where they will deposit 3%, plus match 50 cents on the dollar up to 8%. They provide equipment. Very easy and transcription friendly software program, pay ...

The Patient Has What S/l An Un-sy-fee Lower Abdominal Scar - SM
May 30, 2013

dr doing a laparoscopic cholecystectomy and cant use his normal incision site because the patient had an un-sy-fee lower abdominal incision so he has to put his ports in another place.  Non-ESL, very clear.  I am sure this is an abbreviation for something or some kind of nickname, but cant come up with anything.  Any ideas...TIA.  ...

Has Anyone Noticed Lower Line Counts?
Jun 30, 2013

I transitioned over from Meridian last winter and I'm on the same platform I've always been, with the same accounts, and same dictators.  But something is different with the way the lines are being counted.   At first I thought it was just me, but then I noticed it was happening more and more often.  Tonight my first 2 jobs were 12-1/2 minutes and 10-3/4 minutes, and the docs weren't slow by any means.  The dictation went relatively smoothly and there were no ...

The Lower Face Was Prepped With Ryodine?
Jul 14, 2013

Any ideals? ...

New Version = Lower Line Counts?
Jan 13, 2015

Has anyone else noticed that with the newer version, their line counts are shrinking?  It seems to me lately that the reports are getting longer and longer, yet when I check the line count, thinking it's got to be good for that day, it's barely minimum.  It's so discouraging. ...