A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Why am I seeing LOWER line rates than ever?! - meezer

Posted: Dec 22, 2012

Browsing through the job listings (again), and noticing 7 cpl for IC!?  WHAT?  Why is this industry allowed to get away with this crap! 

I worked for the same company for 17 years before the MQ acquired it.  I ended up quitting in 2004.  At that time, I was making 9.5 cpl and had "topped out" at that rate, not having had a raise in more than a year. 

Since then, I have been job-hopping and cannot seem to find contentment with any company.  In my experience, the starting rate (even for an experienced MT) is 8 cpl, 8.5 if you're lucky, 4 to 4.5 VR/line.  The sad truth is, I am burned out, can't stand this work any longer, procrastinate, dread it, get stir crazy being home all the damn time, etc., etc.

But come on, if we were actually getting paid what we deserve, what we EARN, that would certainly help us to cope.  This industry HAS NOT kept up with the cost of living and the MTSOs should be ashamed!

This is a dead career.  I feel sorry for any person who has spent time and money for an MT course.  It has become a sad, shameful, piss-poor, money-hungry, slave-driving industry.  I have been looking for months for other work, trying desparately to get out, but at my age, I am suspecting "age discrimination."  I feel stuck. 

sad - truth

[ In Reply To ..]
is the MTSOs claim this is the way the "industry" is going. It is going that way because they are taking it that way. Another sad truth is everyone keeps accepting it instead of raising the roof to the uppers in this field. People need to start flooding them with complaints and telling them they need to pay a fair wage and will not accept these poor wages. Someone posted about everyone taking some days off but the naysayers keep discouraging it and refuse to do anything. People don't realize they need us, whether they have India and VR or not, but most don't realize the value of the American MTs and just accept it. We all have bills to pay, but if you keep using this excuse, they are going to continue to walk all over us. People have come on here with ideas and get put down for them, told to come back with a real idea. That is the only real idea there is, everybody needs to walk off the job.

I have seen more and more offering 3cpl for editing - and I am floored any even

[ In Reply To ..]
bothers to apply. I make 6 and 9 and plan on staying right where Im at.

why lowerline rates? - jane

[ In Reply To ..]
you may need to get ready for some more of that low rate. have heard there is going to be a decrease in payments to physicians by medicare of over 20%. doctor told us friday that we were going to have an office meeting. these are rare and sometimes heads roll when there is one. i am 72 now and about ready to hang it up anyway but have enjoyed the extra $ from part time transcription job.

Similar Messages:

LINE RATES - A Company That Offers 7.6 Cpl On A 50 Character Line
Nov 14, 2010

I am starting with a company that offers 7.6 cpl on a 50 character line.  Is this good and what does it equal money wise on a 65 character line rate?   Thanks in advance. ...

Lower Line Counts
Dec 11, 2013

Last month, I had no problem clearing 1400-1700 lines.  Now, I struggle to even get the 1200 we are required even though I work just as hard if not harder than I did before.  I have continued to eliminate distractions and barely move from my desk, yet my line count seems to continue to drop.  Anyone else having this problem? ...

Lower Line Counts???
Dec 12, 2014

Since this new "compensation plan", is it just me or has anyone else noticed they are working harder than ever, yet getting less lines? ...

Has Anyone Noticed Lower Line Counts?
Jun 30, 2013

I transitioned over from Meridian last winter and I'm on the same platform I've always been, with the same accounts, and same dictators.  But something is different with the way the lines are being counted.   At first I thought it was just me, but then I noticed it was happening more and more often.  Tonight my first 2 jobs were 12-1/2 minutes and 10-3/4 minutes, and the docs weren't slow by any means.  The dictation went relatively smoothly and there were no ...

New Version = Lower Line Counts?
Jan 13, 2015

Has anyone else noticed that with the newer version, their line counts are shrinking?  It seems to me lately that the reports are getting longer and longer, yet when I check the line count, thinking it's got to be good for that day, it's barely minimum.  It's so discouraging. ...

Weird But It Seems I Am Doing The Same Amount Of Work But Lower Line Count
Apr 26, 2013

did they possibly change the character count per line so we make less money? ...

Line/pay Rates
Mar 10, 2012

I've been working for Medquist/M-Modal now for 11 years Full-time.  I was one of those grandfathered in that took a pay cut last year as Medquist deemed they would not pay above .10 cents a line.  Now the kicker to all this is I have a friend who I just got hired, and her initial OFFER was to START at .10 cents a line.  I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I am appalled at this ... how someone can start at the top wage.   I have already sent an email ex ...

Line Rates As An IC?
Aug 08, 2012

Thinkng of going the IC route, any ideas on line rates as an IC? ...

OTI Line Rates...........UGH!!
Jul 16, 2013

Need I say more? ...

Line Rates Like 3 Cpl For Editing
Jan 04, 2010

I am looking at ads here and keep seeing things like 3 cpl for editing.  Who could work for that rate and why?  These MTSOs really need an awakening.  No one should work for 3 cpl.  Is there anyone who does editing for that kind of rate and actually earns a living?  I say more MTs need to stand up for themselves and say no to this.  Just sayin'.   ...

Transcend Line Rates
Nov 29, 2011

Greetings, fellow transcriptionists. I've been in the field for over 15 years. Due to a recent buyout of my current MTSO by a huge conglomerate, there is talk of our line rates being cut, apparently down to as low as 8 cents a line.  Needless to say, I'm considering looking elsewhere since this is a major paycut. I'm eyeballing Transcend as I've heard good things and know they used to pay decently. Anyone in the know, do they still go up to 9 cents a line or are the ...

VR Line Rates For Beginning MT
May 01, 2012

Anyone know the starting vr line rate for a new MT? I was offered 2.5 cpl vr and 6 cpl straight. Any comments would help!! Thanks ...

Line Rates/spaces
Aug 11, 2012

Does getting paid for spaces add about 2 cents to line rate?  I was getting 10 cpl for an account (not paid for spaces) and then lost that to offshoring.  The new account pays 8 cpl, but paid for spaces, so they say that's equivalent.  Does that sound right?  Is that the average rate now?    Interesting article just stumbled on:  http://mttoolsonline.com/2011/01/26/medical-transcription-theres-just-no-money-in-it/ ...

How Many Have Had Line Rates Decreased?
Oct 05, 2012

I heard that KS has recently reduced everyone's line rates by 1 cent and only pay a flat fee for radiology reports now. Which other MTSOs have done this? ...

Inscribe Line Rates
Aug 10, 2014

Can anyone fill me in on Inscribe line rates?  Is it more if you transcrbie more?  TIA! ...

Have They Increased Line Rates??
Oct 09, 2014

I noticed a couple of posts about companies paying 6.5 CPL. Was I right when I predicted they would have to increased rates to hang onto the experienced editors? Or are they paying that for transcription? ...

Personal Stand: MT And ME Line Rates (sm)
Nov 09, 2009

I have decided I will not accept any MT transcription rates lower than 9 cpl (in an employee position) or 11 cpl (in an IC position).  For medical editing, I'm not going to work for lower than 50% of the transcription rate.  For me, it will just not be worth it to do it for less.  I am willing to go work inhouse and even do other work rather than to accept line rates lower than this.  I see one keeps putting up the same ad with 8 cpl for MT work and 3 cpl for editing a ...

Line Rates Changing On Each Check?
May 05, 2011

Can anyone explain to me the line rates on the new pay stubs.  Mine is not showing my actual lines, just the money.  When I go to the web site for the breakdown it shows 4 different rates that seem to vary from week to week.  They are Week 1 TR, Week 2 TR, Week 1 SR and week 2 SR.  I know we may get less pay for a QA report, but I rarely send in reports  for QA.  Do the audits count as QA'd lines for the lesser line rate..  Should I call my CCM or just pay ...

Line Rates - You Can Check Out Salaries Of The CEO, COO, And CFO
Jan 13, 2012

You can check out salaries of the CEO, COO, and CFO of publically traded companies at the securities and exchange commission website.   It will open your eyes and now that we are all working for what we did in the 80's, you will find we have more in common with the unwashed masses of the OWS movement than we thought.  ...

Line Rates And Company Profits
Feb 15, 2012

Anyone struggling since your line rates were cut back to less than what you were hired for?  I am struggling, but with extra hours, getting by, just barely. It makes it really tough though, when you read that the company, which boasts at being the best thanks to "you",  posts a 32.9 Million $ profit for 2011.  Wow, I'm sure the stockholders are pleased, in fact, they are saying that TR is a good investment.  I'm really proud that I have contribut ...

ACCENTUS--VBC? Or Just Really Good Line Rates?
Apr 04, 2012

Is Accentus still just paying for visible black characters and no spaces?  I see that their recent ad mentions line rates, but doesn't state anything about spaces.. ...

Transcription Line Rates Expectations
Oct 23, 2012

Copied directly from an advertisement for a transcriptionist for a hospital setting;  2. Transcribes an average of 10,000 lines per day, based on an 8 hour day.   now, can anybody really do this?  lol.  maybe they are talking speech rec, but even this would be a lot to expect.  Wonder if they pay incentive for going over line requirements.  ...

Rates Per Line Or Minute In 2012
Oct 29, 2012

What is the current (2012) appropriate rate to charge for medication transcription services, either per line or per minute? ...

Compare Company Line Rates (sm)
Apr 03, 2014

Can we post line rates quoted to experienced MTs this year?  I think many of us do not wish to waste applying and testing for a company that is reducing the line rate AGAIN to only .03 cpl.  If anyone was offered less than .04/.08, did you turn it down? Did they offer more? Name of company?Thanks for any input.  ...

Compare Line Rates Between IC And Employee?
Aug 19, 2014

Can someone please tell me how to compare line rates between IC and employee?  I know IC pays less due to taxes and social security not paid by employer, but if someone could tell me what 8 cpl as an IC really pays, I would really appreciate it.  TIA. ...

6 And 4? What Happened To 9 And 6? Line Rates Go Down Daily! Sm
Apr 23, 2015

Working for 6 cents seems so little... smh... I just don't know anymore. Maybe go work at Arbys? ...

Acute Care Transcription - Going Line Rates?
Nov 26, 2012

Hi, am new to the boards.  Have recently started acute care transcription, H&Ps, discharge summaries, etc.  Can anyone help with what the going line rates are (65 character line).  Thanks. ...

RECENT Information On Precyse Regarding Line Rates
Jan 13, 2013

Does anyone have any RECENT information on Precyse regarding line rates, quality of insurance and other benefits, quality of work and stability of work load, etc.?  Thanks!   ...

Avg IC Line Rates For Experienced MT/QA Straight Type And ASR? Nm
Jun 08, 2015

Switching from employee to IC for first time in my life and have seen low rates offered. What is the typically going rate? Shouldn't it be higher for straight typing and because you are an IC and not employee?   Thanks! ...

Line Rates For Editing Has Become Ridiculous - We Need To Make A Difference NOW!
Jan 07, 2010

So, here it goes -- We all know the medical transcription industry has really gone downhill with regard to our pay.  I currently just lost about $10/hour to change to editing and I have been doing it for several months hoping that it would get better, but it has not.  This is just crazy to me.  You still need the same amount of knowledge to create an accurate medical report.   I do not know about everyone else, but the reports I am seeing coming ...