A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Bilateral lower extremity VS. Bilateral lower extremities - ld

Posted: Oct 18, 2012

Hi all,

There is a discrepancy with the proper use of this - can anyone help? Some at my work are saying it should be bilateral lower extremities, whereas others think it is bilateral lower extremity since the "bilateral" implies that it's plural and hence no need to say "lower extremities." I've seen it both ways, but the more that I think about it the more I'm getting myself confused.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

depends on how it's used - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
She has swelling in the bilateral lower extremities.
She has bilateral lower extremity edema.

Doppler showed bilateral lower extremity DVTs.
Doppler revealed DVTs in her bilateral lower extremities.

bilateral lower extremity = adjective
bilateral lower extremities = plural noun

It's the same as:
She is a 22-year-old woman.
That woman is 22 years old.

Similar Messages:

Duplex Lower Extremity Bilateral?
Nov 27, 2009

Does anyone know if this is suppose to read "duplex lower extremity bilateral?" ...

On Bilateral Lower Extremity Exam, She Has 5/5 Gross Motor Strength For Hip Flexors, Abductors, Exte
Sep 05, 2013

I know "tiban" isn't correct.  What is it?  Thanks. ...

She Has S/L SEDs On Both Lower Extremities.
Jan 11, 2010

After bilateral knee arthroplasty, patient has (S/L) SEDs on both lower extremities. I cannot seem to figure this one out. I was thinking TEDs stockings or some mechanical device to prevent DVT? ...

Lower Extremity Examination
Jan 08, 2010

The lower extremities show marked peripheral varicosities.  There are also some excoriated lesions of the lower extremities with some mild scarring secondary to __s/l "thorabnitis". Any ideas?  This M.D. has a tendency to make up words, so he could be saying something totally different than how it sounds. Thanks  ...

Grip Strength In His Upper And Lower Extremities?
Nov 20, 2012

The Dr. says "Grip strength is 5/5 in the upper and lower extremities."  Is he misspeaking, or is there grip strength measurement for the lower extremities?     Thanks! ...

Lower Extremity Exam- Digital Hair?
Feb 25, 2011

Is there a type of lower extremity exam that would be done called digital hair?  It s/l hair! DP and PT pulses are palpable bilateral.  Positive digital (hair) bilateral.  There are no lesions or lacerations noted bilateral.  Normal skin color, texture, and turgor bilateral.  It's an exam for a bunion deformity. Thanks. ...

Bilateral Groin Or Bilateral Groins, Which One Is Correct? Nm
Jun 10, 2013

nm ...

Lower Extremities And Very S/l Hyperprepinted Areas Compatible With Stigmata
May 22, 2010

Woody skin at the lower extremities and very s/l hyperprepinted areas compatible with stigmata, venous stasis, and poor circulation.   ...

Exam Of The Lower Extremity Reveals S/l Fry-berg Deformity
Oct 10, 2010

x ...

Physical Exam: DTRs Equal 2+ 4 Upper And Lower Extremities.
Jun 20, 2010

Unsure how to correctly type the 2+ 4.  Does she mean 2+/4??  Thanks for helping. ...

Upper And Lower Extremity Exam-sounds Like "crunch" Test?
Dec 12, 2009

upper and lower extremity exam-sounds like "crunch" test? ...

Lower-extremity Wound Care-S/L "Jello-O" Cast
Dec 15, 2013

I can't seem to find this listed anywhere.  It sounds pretty clear...does anyone know the correct spelling or does the dictator actually mean "Jell-O"-?!  ...

PUNCTUATION?: RIGHT LOWER EXTREMITY EXPLORATION SAPHENOUS VEIN HARVEST LEFT LEG REVERSE SAPHENOUS V
Jun 20, 2010

x ...

Lower Extremity "dot Flow Or Dop Full" Evaluation
May 10, 2010

The patient just had a femoropopliteal bypass, and they are considering the same for the other leg.  Thanks.  ...

S/l "les-a-icks" Test. Lower Extremity Concentration.
Jun 11, 2010

Any ideas? I am not as familiar with this area. I don't even know what to google anymore. :( ...

"unresting" Of A Bulla, Left Lower Extremity
May 16, 2013

Thank you very much!!! ...

Left Lower Extremity "prosalite"?
Apr 05, 2011

I can't seem to get a good sound out of this.  Any clues? ...

Extremity Or Extremities
Apr 18, 2012

Which is correct?   Has bilateral lower extremity edema. Has bilateral lower extremities edema.   Thanks! ...

Bilateral ?
Sep 24, 2012

He will receive an endocrine consultation and get appropriate labs due to his young age and bilateral s/l "skiffies"  ? Note:  Procedure is BILATERAL SLIPPED CAPITAL FEMORAL EPIPHYSIS.  Thanks.  ...

Please Help: S/l My/la/sia Of Bilateral Shoulders
May 24, 2010

dictator listed this earlier in reference to shoulder pain and now says it again in diagnoses.    S/l mylaysias or myelasias involving bilateral upper extremity, involving bilateral shoulders.  ...

Pt Had Bilateral Myringoplasties. Doc Says "both
Aug 19, 2010

x ...

In The HEENT Exam: Bilateral TMs S/l FOR
Nov 26, 2010

Doc says Bilateral TMs s/l FOR or OR. Any ideas?   ...

Bilateral Axillary S/l Psudenectomies
Jan 21, 2011

patient has hyperhidrosis. plastic surgeon plans to perform "bilateral axillary s/l psudenectomies" google wont come up with anything...tia ...

'protracted' Bilateral Leg Edema
Feb 14, 2011

'protracted' bilateral leg edema Does this sound correct? I can clearly hear that in the dictation to me but my tired ears and eyes do not think it is right. Thanks!   ...

Bilateral Spluringo-oophorectomy
May 26, 2012

Man, this particular NPT drives me insane.  ...

Bilateral Frontal Parietal Or Frontoparietal?
Oct 14, 2009

An MRI suggested old, bilateral frontal parietal strokes.   tia :) ...

S/l Bilateral Lateral Recess And Facement
Nov 10, 2009

An MRI of the lumbosacral spine, also done earlier this year, demonstrates severe neural canal stenosis at L3-4 and L4-5 with bilateral lateral recess and facement, worse in the right at L4-5 with proximal L5 nerve root compression. ...

Bilateral Calf Or Calves Pain?
Nov 10, 2009

Orthopedics...bilateral calf or bilateral calves? ...

PSH - Bilateral S/l Xanthums Removed From The Eyes.
Aug 10, 2010

x ...

YIKES...bilateral Mammary Hypertomy?
Nov 09, 2010

Please help, bilateral mammary hypertomy?  Anyone hear of that? ...