A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Speaking of Shorthand - frustrated

Posted: Feb 11, 2012

I have had Shorthand for about a year and have never had a problem with it. Recently I noticed some of the words I have in it type out wrong. Costing me a lot of time to have to go back and fix. Sometimes if I erase and type again, then it will come out correctly. Anyone have a similar problem with Shorthand? Would it have anything to do with my license expiring in about 3 weeks? 

if you try to move before it plays out the - abbreviation

[ In Reply To ..]
What you describe can happen. Take a look at your settings under Preferences. Look at the line on the tab for Operation that says

Pause _____ msec after every ____ keystrokes.

I have mine set to 0 msec after every 1 keystrokes. This works perfectly in MS-Word, but when I work on a platform, I have to wait to make sure the abbreviation is finished playing out before moving around (say, hitting the up arrow to go to the line above). This could be your problem.

Shorthand - frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
I changed the setting to 0 msec. Tried it and it seems to be working fine now and so much quicker! Thanks so much.

Similar Messages:

Speaking Of Shorthand, I Have A Question
Feb 13, 2012

I have been trying to figure out for two days (even reading the tutorial) on how to import my MS word autocorrect/autoexpansions into this program to no avail.D Did anyone else have this experience and, if so, what did you find helped you to "crack" whatever code is needed?  It doesn't come with many, if any preloaded expanders and the medical expanders on the download site require yet MORE downloads to install them (and to pay for them as well).  Any suggestions appreciated bef ...

Speaking Up At Webquist
Mar 18, 2010

Please see my post under the latest Webquist post.  We must band together..... ...

Speaking Of Lawsuits
Aug 24, 2012

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/illinois/ilndce/1:2012cv05571/271621/   Found this on a Google search.  Is this old news?  It doesn't seem as though you can get any information about it anywhere. ...

English Speaking, I Think NOT!
Jul 03, 2013

Just got done transcribing garbage...there is no way that was any kind of English I recognized. Awful Asian dialect! ...

As Far As The English Speaking, Think Not
Jul 04, 2013

Let me tell you what happened to me the other day. I am traveling next week to Houston. I called a hotel there to make reservations. I said my name and then since it is sort of a long one, said let me spell that for you. Well no matter how much spelling I did, breaking it down into slow, 3 letters at a time, the person NEVER got it on the other end. I spelled the last name probably a total of 6 times total. In order to get confirmation through my email, it is my last name and then first and you ...

Relatively Speaking, Nuance Isn't So Bad.
Jul 22, 2013

Compared to the old Medquist (M Modal), Nuance is a piece of cake.  Wish there were more options like the good old days but looks like Nuance and M Modal is buying all the MT companies and ensuring there is no competion to allow MTs to make more money.  ...

Speaking Of Being Disrespectful To MTs, How Do You Like This?
Apr 01, 2015

I had a horrible sound quality report from a dictator I'd never done before. He wasn't too bad, but the sound quality was terrible and it was a surgical speciality that is not too common and I've maybe had one other report on that speciality in the last 3 months. I had to leave a BIG bunch of blanks. Hated to do it. Of coure it was many more over what I am allowed, so I turned it in to QA and was looking forward to seeing what the corrections were because that is a good learni ...

Medquist - I Got Fired For Speaking Up
Feb 17, 2010

I spoke my mind by sending this to all MQ addresses I could gather.  I got canned for it.  Not worried about it though.  Maybe it will make a difference.  I sure hope so.  Here it is:   I am hoping that this letter will alert any concerned MQ personnel to a potential disaster.  By introduction, I am one of many MQ employees who take pride in their position, in their work, and in their loyalty.  I am one of many MQ MTs who accepted and eagerly learned ne ...

Speaking Of Lawsuits, What Happened To The One That
Jun 18, 2011

nm ...

A Coworker Speaking For The Group
Jun 01, 2011

At almost everyone of our weekly meetings there is a coworker who complains about everything.  She is never happy and monopolizes each and every meeting.  I know she doesn't speak for me, not sure about everyone else, but she speaks up as though she has conferenced with us all and that we are all in agreement.  How do I politley tell her to stop whining unless she specifically speaks for herself?  I am happy with my job, my pay rate, my hours.........everything that ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5
Dec 16, 2011

I have the Standard version 10 and had to deal with a lot of bug issues with it.  I love the program, but I didn't like the constant problems with trying to download updates, etc.  (I have Vista).    I wondered if anyone else out there bought this updated version and was pleased with it.  I'm hoping to hear that they have the bugs worked out of this program, as the program itself is great and a valuable assest to an MT who types in Word.  Any feedback a ...

Speaking Of A Good Laugh...
Feb 08, 2012

This Shaw guy is pretty funny, telling all of DSG how great his company is going to be to work for!  As if none of us read this forum and know the truth. I'm really starting to hope this 2012 end of the world stuff actually happens!       ...

Speaking Of The Employee Handbook
Apr 03, 2013

When you sign for the employee handbook, it says something about no employee or manager can make up rules that contradict it. ...

Small MTSO Speaking Out ... SM
Aug 06, 2013

I've been a member of this board for years and feel it's time to speak out from a business owner's perspective.  I see a lot of negativity against MTSOs (maybe it's just the big ones but still it touches a nerve) and just wanted to give my 2 cents.Not all of us are greedy, mean, nasty, evil people.  I can't speak for everyone but as for myself, I don't consider myself that way at all and my team of transcriptionists doesn't think so either.  As a ...

Speaking Of Glassdoor Reviews,
Mar 23, 2014

for MModal from yet another Indian employee:   “Horrible company to work, near to hell” ...

Speaking Of Issues With Synernet, Has Anyone Else
Jul 15, 2014

had issues with Thin Client freezing ALL THE TIME or just going way too slow?  ...

Speaking Of IMEDX, Has Anyone Noticed That The VR Is Almost (sm)
Dec 04, 2014

it was when we were originally training it?  Some days now it's even worse.  I wonder what is going on.  Things that have been corrected forever now have to be corrected again, and a lot of times it is spewing out gibberish.  What's up with that? ...

Speaking Of Irritating Noises...
Jan 23, 2015

It's that cold time of year, where the MT is forced to listen to dictators with a LOT of snot in their noses, which they periodically loudly sniff back and swallow.  Unfortunately, I have a very vivid imagination, and the mental image of makes me almost gag. Another annoying thing is when doctors speak in a low, barely audible voice, but their "S's" come out with a whistle, so each time you turn the sound up, you get the loud, shrieking whistle ...

What Does QA Get Paid Generally Speaking?
Mar 20, 2015

I'm burned out as an MT and thinking of asking to be put in a QA position at my work. Does anyone know (or want to share) what kind of income a QA position provides? Ballpark figures would be welcome, just for some idea.  TIA. ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Instead Of Transcribing?
Nov 06, 2009

Has anyone used Dragon NS instead of transcribing?  Does it take a long time to train it?  Is it really faster and worth the money?  Thanks! ...

Addendum To Dragon Naturally Speaking....
Jan 18, 2010

I was thinking of using this as a replacement for typing/transcribing.  For example when I hear the dictation, I then repeat it to the Dragon voice recognition software, and it types for me. (You need to read the post before this one for it to all make sense -- sorry!) Thanks, Abby ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking & Medrite
Sep 24, 2010

Does anyone know if Dragon Naturally Speaking can work with the old verson of the old Medrite transcription platform? Thanks. ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Standard 10
Aug 28, 2011

I purchased and installed this application for some classes I am taking.  I thought it would save time with notes etc and it does ------ when functioning properly. I also contemplated the medical version for my transcription.   It is probably just me, I am sure, but I just do not know how to fine tune.  The only thing I know to do when I run into a problem is to uninstall and rei nstall.  To my knowledge there is no technical support. &nb ...

ESL Speaking In English And Native Language???
Jun 10, 2014

For the last several weeks I have been sending reports for a particular MD to QA with lots of blanks.  No problems with other MDs or PAs, just that one.  Found out a couple of days ago that I'm not the only one sending lots of blanks back for the same MD.  Finally got a couple of my QAs back and there was a notation that the facility is working with this MD to take English classes because the blanks have been words/phrases from the native language.  Seriously?!?!  I ...

Speaking Of Platforms, Has Anyone Used FutureNet Platform?
Oct 31, 2014

Is it easy to learn?  TIA ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Success Stories?
Nov 12, 2009

I'd like some advice from those out there that are using this.  I have 32-bit Vista.  I have heard that version 10 is a nightmare to install with cruddy tech support from Nuance.  Therefore, I am considering going with version 9 Preferred if I can find it.  I can't afford the Medical software, but I have heard of MTs having good results with training the Preferred version to medical words.  My hands are bothering me, and I need to get this software to help out with reports.  ...

Voice Recognition - Plain Speaking Dictators
Feb 07, 2013

I wish someone would tweak the VR as lately I am taking more time to do corrections than I could have typed it.  It prints out whole paragraphs of things the dictator is not saying and these are plain speaking dictators.  No wonder I keep getting poorer. ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking - Voice Recognition Software
Jan 18, 2010

Hi, I have been researching this voice recognition software, and have found that about a third of MTs think it is not faster than typing, another third thinks it does not work well at all, and the final third thinks it does improve productivity.  Does anyone have any input here as to a few more opinions? Thanks, Abby ...

Does Anybody Use Dragon Naturally Speaking To Echo Dictate (redictate)?
Nov 08, 2010

I've tried to use the search function, but either it's not working properly or I'm not doing something right (I suspect it's not working right now).  I work for a company with a Web-based transcription platform (straight typing).  What I want to try to do to improve my productivity is to buy Dragon Naturally Speaking, load it onto my computer, echo dictate (redictate) what my docs are saying, and then cut and paste the software's output into the platform windo ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking - Is There Better Voice Recognition Software Out There?
Mar 22, 2012

Has anyone ever used Dragon Naturally Speaking to type up their work? Or is there better voice recognition software out there? I'm thinking if I just speak intead of type, won't that be faster? But I do not want to make the investment if it won't work or be worth it. Thanks so much! ...