A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Any tips for increasing motivation/production? - Saugust

Posted: Nov 15, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm burned out on MT as a whole (I don't think I am), just my current MTSO, or if I've got some component of ADD.  Whatever it is, I need to get out of this slump.  Increasing production just because I need the money doesn't seem to be a motivator. 

I've been doing this for 21 years now.  I've always been a little distractible, but it seems to be getting worse. 

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for improving their production (when the work is available that is), especially when the dictators want to make you throw in the towel?  Maybe I'm too focused on quality over quantity, but the few times I've tried to just go "OK, screw it.  I'm not trying to make sense of your gobbledygook sentences anymore.  You're getting what you say, word for word" my conscience just won't let me. 

Reading that some MTs are doing 350+ lines an hour on straight transcription just astounds me.  What am I doing wrong that an outstanding day, for me, is maybe 250 an hour?  Unless it's a "please pull up the last report and I'll make changes as we go" dictation, I've been lucky to put out 150 lately. 

Pulling up normals seems to be a joke most of the time.  What one person adds as a normal is far from what the dictator is actually saying.  Bolding won't be turned off after the heading, so you start typing, see it's bolded, then have to go back and fix it.  Some of what's included is even a direct contradiction of the account specifics.  And these are ones that have been added by the MTSO office staff. 

I'm not bitter.  I'm thankful to have a job right now, as frustrating as it can be sometimes.  I just want to be more productive, for my own sake as well as for the patients. 

I agree - cll

[ In Reply To ..]
that quality is important. I also just can not put out an inferior product. If something does not make sense and I can not make sense out of it, I will throw it back to the office as an incomplete. I just can not bring myself to put my initials on work that is shotty.

As for the motivation, have you tried changing your surroundings? If you have an office that you work in, maybe a change of the paint color or hanging a new picture to look at. Also one thing I have tried lately as I sometimes have this same problem is pick something that I really want or a few things that I want to work towards and put together a collage of pictures and hang it in front of my desk to remind me of what I am working towards. Also, if possible keep destractions to a minimum, such as TV, etc. playing while you are working. I can get some distracted sometimes just by what other people are watching on TV and totally lose track of time and what I am doing.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply. I do the same thing - saugust

[ In Reply To ..]
with the TV. My fiance is working from home too, and he always has a TV or two on even if he's not in the house. Both are within earshot of my desk. It's usually on the History or Discovery Channel. Sometimes it something I could care less about. Other times it can be pretty interesting and I'll get up in the middle of a job because something caught my attention. So I'm always turning off the darn things.

The Net is another huge distraction. Seeing how we get our work, that's kind of an unavoidable obstacle. I tried an app a few years back that you could set to block the usage of anything, for any length of time you wanted. It didn't really work, since I was the one who set it and knew the password. LOL I can never just look up the word I'm stuck on and then close the window.

One tactic I've tried that seems to always work, and I have no idea why, is to set a timer and tell myself I have to work for that length of time without doing anything other than work. I'll do it for a few days and then get cocky and think I don't need it, then I end up right back to where I was. So, I guess I kind of answered my original question, didn't I? :o/ Guess I needed my memory jogged.

Menopause? Or pre- ? Can really do a number on - ability to sit still and focus. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Tips For Motivation?
May 18, 2011

eee gads, every have one of those nights, or one of those weeks? what do you do when you just can't seem to get in the groove? maybe its the mt week contests and knowing I will never win anything (even though I meet all the production requirements) plus just plain wore out from trying to move for the past week or so.  tried to get some PTO, but never get approved. and then add to it the 3rd shift blues.  no matter what, just can't keep my eyes open! ...

Looking For Some Tips On Increasing My Line Count.
Jan 10, 2012

I know most people here are very unhappy with MQ and they all have their complaints, but I'm just part-time and MQ fits into my schedule fine. I'm having trouble with my line count and I'm looking for someone to give me some tips on improving my line count. My manager suggested to sign out when not in DQS (which I've never done, not even sure how to sign out or when). She also said to be sure my timekeeping is exact (whatever she means by that). I do have an email sent back ...

Increasing Minimum Production By 20%
Mar 23, 2011

beginning June 1st.  I wonder what will accompany this change - reducing the workforce by 20% or lowering pay?  ...

What Are Your Production Tips?
May 15, 2011

I know that everyone says there is no money in VR, but sometimes you have to take the job you are given and be thankful for that. The account I am working on is 99% VR.  I was wondering if anyone had any tips on being productive.  For example, do you look at your report first and fix any obvious errors and then listen to the dictation or do you just jump right in with the dictation and do it all then?  Currently, I make about 5cpl for VR, which compared to some quotes I have rea ...

Tips For Production And/or Headphones??...sm
Nov 10, 2014

I think this was posted not to long ago but not sure. Can anyone give me ANY tips for how they stay focused during their shift and meet line counts? I have such trouble meeting mine and I actually only have to do 150 lph due to not being 100% SR. I find I work way better when I work 1 hour at a time or maybe just 2 and am done. If I work only 1 hour straight I tend to do over 200 lph. I wish I could work like that through the week. Sitting for hours and hours makes me slow down after the first h ...

Increasing Productivity
May 22, 2010

Anyone know any good advice on increasing productivty using Medrite or just in general? I have been working for almost a year since graduating and i'm getting better slowly but surely, but i'd like to see more progress, as my pay rate is on the low side and I figured if I can be faster than I can kind of give myself a raise. Any help would really be appreciated. ...

Motivation
Apr 03, 2011

If you are a part time MT, what would motivate you to go to full-time.  Also, what do you think would motivate a low-producing MT to increase production? ...

Lacking Motivation
Oct 17, 2011

So it's Monday morning and I have very little to no motivation to crank out reports.  This is getting to be a real problem.  My line count is dwindling because of my lack of motivation.  I've been doing this job for decades.  Where do you find motivation?  Any tips or tricks you care to share?  The weeks get longer all the time and while I like my job I certainly do not love it any more.  Help!  Thanks. ...

Motivation/burn Out!
Jun 07, 2013

How does one stay motivated day in and day out...when the account I have I find very boring (rehab) and not acute care which I love, I am soooo burned out, and unsure of company changes and soon going to be calling this profession the quits as I will be going to school part time in the fall to pursue a career change? Any suggestions, please! ...

Out Of Patience, No Motivation.
May 24, 2015

Dictating with your kid crying right behind you?? Really?? Started the shift off getting an account out of my usual BOB, and the HPI for every single one had to be totally retyped. I don't have any more patience for the doctors who sit their breathing or thumbing through the chart or searching the electronic record without putting the dictation on hold. I find moving the audio to a place where there is dictation really helps my lph. Only "advantage" of ASR. Of course, I only go as far ...

Increase Her Basal Metabolic Temperature With Increasing *syn V 3*? Thanks. Nm
Mar 06, 2011

nm ...

Major Corporations Are Increasing Minimum Wage.
Feb 25, 2015

TJ Maxx is the latest to do so. Maybe there is a little bit of hope for us?? Maybe someone in corporate will discover he/she has a heart after all and realize we can't make it on their theft of 40% of our wages. ...

Help With Motivation/staying On Task
Aug 08, 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with/power through horrendous audio quality reports? We  have had these reports on my primary account for 2 months now and my company refuses to do anything about them. I turn the volume all the way up and still can barely hear the dictator over all the static. I struggle to figure out what they are saying, but I find myself "checking out" and losing focus and motivation to get through these reports after a while. How does everyone else do it? ...

Two Issues: Accents And Motivation
Mar 05, 2014

Anyone else have these issues? I find that after doing report after report of doctors with different accents (Indian obviously, Asian, Spanish, British), it just gets more difficult to wrap my head around what is being said.  I can't find that sweet spot where I can understand what is being said, and it is so frustrating! Also, motivation.  I start my shift, am on a good roll, then NJA.  After doing a few jobs that trickle in, clock in and clock out, try to remember the ent ...

Absolutely No Motivation For This Job Anymore.
Mar 20, 2015

After 21 years of doing transcription, yes starting with a typewriter, I have no will left to do this job. After searching other companies, it seems the industry is in the toilet. We are at the mercy of companies like Nuance because in-house transcription is a thing of the past. I woke up this morning and realized in the last 16 years I have come full circle, 7 cpl when starting at home, and now most likely back to 7 cpl with this new grid. I don't even see the point in arguing over the QC% ...

She Also Describes Having Increasing S/l Discolor With Vision Because Of Cataracts And Prior Eye Sur
Jun 25, 2010

She also describes having increasing s/l discolor with vision because of cataracts and prior eye surgery. ...

Nothing Like ASR And The Crummy Pay To Kill The Spirit And Motivation.
Jan 28, 2010

I feel like quitting! ...

Advice For Increasing Productivity In VR Editing? I Have A Hard Time Matching What I Made Typing.
Mar 08, 2012

Thanks for sharing ...

Is It Mucous Secretions And Mucus Production Or Mucous Production?
Mar 11, 2013

Is it mucous secretions and mucus production or mucous production? ...

Tips
Mar 23, 2010

Anyone got tips on pacing themselves or how to make things go smoother.  I am a new MT and really want to do well since I left a good job to work from home, as it was a dream of mine.  I realize that patient is a virtue.  Something that I would like to possess more of. I am setting up my shortcuts, and feel like I am working my fingers to the bone, and not getting anywhere.  Any tips and advice on things that will help me move right along will be much helpful.  ...

MQ DQS ASR Tips
Jul 15, 2011

Been tracking my work for the last couple of years on ASR, am able to calculate my paycheck usually within a dollar of what it should be upon deposit into my account, and thought I'd share some tips I've learned from ASR: Keep your fingers on the keyboard. Anyone who says they are bored doing ASR isn't doing it right. It is just as challenging as typing, even more so because of the concentration required. It is much like playing the piano in that one's fingers are always mov ...

ASR Tips Revisited
Jan 28, 2010

Have read through numerous tips on this board on how to increase productivity (TY), but for the life of me can't seem to make much progress. There is one HUGE hurdle that slows me down terribly. At the very beginning of dictation, where the dictating physician says all the mumbo jumbo that should not be in a report - ADT info - we are to place a skip marker (and as far as my experience, it doesn't make much sense to place any more unless there is a blatant gap where none of the garbage ...

Burnout: Any Tips To Get Over It? Sm
Jan 31, 2010

I have been an MT for 13 years and lately I have been suffering from severe burnout.  I need the money so badly!!!  But it seems impossible to stay focused on my work.  Sometimes sitting down transcribing is nearly impossible - feels like trying to swallow bad cough medicine or something!  I have tried putting up pictures of reasons I need to be focusing and typing and have tried challenging myself with line counts, etc.  I just dont seem to be able to do it.  ...

Tips For Success With VR
May 14, 2010

Learning to use VR can be accomplished by any MT who has solid MT skills and is knowledgeable about their work.  I do not believe newbies or grads within their first 2 years should be using VR without QA backup (just my opinion). 1.  You have to want to learn to use it effectively.  If you try to do it kicking and screaming, being obstinant, you simply will hinder your learning curve and depth significantly.  2.  It takes time.  You will not learn it overnight.&nb ...

Any Tips About Proofreading
Jul 26, 2010

Any tips about proofreading? I am an MT intern consistently getting high 90s for grades in Acute Care but 99% is required to pass the program.   Tps for perfecting MT proofreading would be appreciated. I seem to make dumb mistakes and just  don't see them when I proofread.   Maple Grandma ...

SR Tips & Tricks
Sep 09, 2011

I am fairly new to SR and have been doing it for about a month.  Does anyone out there have any tips to share on how to become quicker?  I have memorized keyboard commands and am trying to speed up dictation.  Is that all there is to be successful at this? ...

Extext Tips?
Jan 20, 2012

Any tips on editing in Extext? ...

Tips For Those Just Starting DQS 7...smg
May 15, 2012

If you don't like those panels on the side of your text screen showing, you can drag the right and left margins of text screen to widen the text screen.  You can also drag the upper and lower margins.    You can enlarge the size of the font and change the style of the font (which only will change it on your end, not the client's end).  I am not in the program right now, but I think it is under Tools at the top, then click on the tabs to see which one has the font ...

Proofing Tips
Jun 01, 2012

Would anyone be willing to share their proofreading tips. I find that VR requires a much higher level of concentration and focus to catch errors. The text on the screen can become a blur. After a couple of hours it is so easy to "hear" what the voice engine blew out and not catch a small but significant error. I am finding that something that needs to be deleted from the text is actually harder to catch than something that needs to be changed or added. Any tips would be helpful. I do see m ...

Editing Tips
Sep 13, 2012

Hi!  How do you all do it?  I have a job that is 70% editing and about 30% typing.  I can't seem to get any faster with my editing.  I have tried to teach myself to only edit when absolutely necessary (not that I agree with that) and I have turned the speed up.  I am not sure where I am going wrong?  I try to keep with account specifics as well.  BUT I do admit that I still throw in a comma where I think things could be confusing or put in a period with a ...