A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I HAVE to buy a computer TODAY! Mine just died. Can I get opinions - sm

Posted: Jul 03, 2010

and suggestions.....my budget is around 700.00.   Does anyone use a laptop? Will that withstand an 8 hour day of typing? I have an Emachine now and it is horrible.  If I go with a desktop I would only need the tower. I think I would like a laptop but know nothing about them.

I have a shift today so I have to do this ASAP!! Thanks for any suggestions.

I've typed on a laptop for years. Any new computer will - have Windows 7; many MTSOs cant use it. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

thanks for the replies! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Ask your company which OS is compatible with the software - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Many companies are not compatible with Windows 7 yet.

Laptop problem - Triscuit

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been using Emachines for years and never had a single problem. I've been wanting a laptop, but I don't think it'd work for me. I use a gull-wing keyboard, and by the time I plugged it into a laptop, along with the headset, foot pedal, etc., I'd wind up with the laptop on my desktop with a half-dozen wires sprouting out of it. My desk is too high to type from, and my keyboard sits on a little pull-our drawer.

Just had a tech guy build me one with XP . Hard to find - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
computers with XP and most MTSOs cannot use Vista or Windows 7.

I also had to contact the HP Business division to have them sell me one with XP. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

My Computer Died,
Sep 24, 2012

time that I had to take to set up a new one.  Also, I am being harrassed about being slow when my computer problems were plaguing me, even though I kept my TL informed at all times.  Does this seem reasonable to anyone? ...

Computer Died....anyone Replace A Power Supply ? - Sm
Jun 27, 2010

Woke up to my computer dead (2.5 years old).....shut it down last night, no problems.  Did not notice if the blinking light(of the power button) was on or not last night when I went to bed.  In any case it was off this morning which is not the norm.  DOA.  Tried the obvious, unplugged, replugged in different outlet, etc.  Nada.  Have another old Dell here (has hard drive issues not power supply)  thought maybe I could switch out the power supplies, don ...

Computer Died Unexpectedly....seeking Expertise
Jan 21, 2013

My computer was fine last night but this morning had apparently committed suicide during the night. After powering it off and back on, I received the Dell/Windows screen that normally comes up, then it went to a black screen with the message "NO BOOT DEVICE AVAILABLE." Has anyone else ever encountered this and is it fixable?  I do have a backup computer but I had a lot of information on the hard drive of the other computer I'd love to be able to recover. TIA! ...

Got My New MedQuist Computer Today. Just Wonder What's Coming
Nov 02, 2011

CCM has been pretty mum about it all.  She emailed me to confirm my address for them to send it to me, said the one I have now isn't powerful enough.  Anyone have any ideas or any inside info on what's coming up? ...

Is It My Computer Or Is Docqscribe Super Slow Today
Aug 01, 2012

Seems to be taking forever to download and upload jobs today..Took 3 tries to get the program to start this morning, got error messages.. My internet soeed is fine. ...

Something Just Died
Sep 23, 2011

grrrrr ...

I Can't Believe It, I Think I've Died And Gone To Heaven. Sm
Mar 08, 2011

Wow, all day today and yesterday I have been getting actual transcribe jobs, not ASR!!!  Whuppeeeee!!!!  This ol gal is relishing the respite for a while.  I know it won't last long.  I am enjoying it while I can.   I have been extremely, extremely sick for the last 2 months, and this is a joy for me.  With all the meds I take ASR tends to be too monotonous and I find myself drifting off.  Not good.  Transcribing keeps me alert and focused.  ...

I Think I Died And Went To Heaven....... Sm
Sep 17, 2011

I just got an eleven-minute dictation that I actually had the pleasure of transcribing as opposed to doing speech recognition on it.  The dictator was perfect!!  He spoke at a regular rate, not too fast and not too slow.  His thoughts were organized and he enunciated his words clearly.  I just typed my little heart out on that one and loved every minute of it!!!!  Why can't it always be like that??? <Sigh> ...

I Have Died And Gone To Semicolon Hades
Jan 03, 2014

MME here working on global reports and I'm wondering ... when did semicolons become an acceptable substitution for commas and colons?  In my last report I swear there were no fewer than a million of the little suckers - on every line of the report there were at least a few.   PAST MEDICAL HISTORY: Includes; hypertension; diabetes; hypothyroid.  SOCIAL HISTORY: Nonsmoker; nondrinker; no illicit drug abuse; lives at home; works as a cashier. I can't stand it!!   ...

Father Died In His 50's Or 50s. Confuses Me Every Time!
Apr 06, 2011

nm ...

Which Verbatim Is It? Your's, Mine Or Their's?
Oct 30, 2010

Just worked on an ESL report (with unfortunately for me very, very, very little English).  This is a VERBATIM account.  Sent it to QA and it was "transformed" into English with little regard for that pesky word VERBATIM.  Does verbatim mean different things to different people? ...

W-2 - Got Mine In The Mail
Jan 22, 2013

Just got mine in the mail. ...

Anybody Else's TW Timesheet Look Like Mine?
Jan 29, 2013

It's longer than the constitution for Pete's sake! I end up with so many entries because I get a job, one that usually takes 2 minutes to type, send it off, then NJA, wait a minute, here comes another job, type it, takes 2 minutes, and on and on.  Craziness! ...

I Do Everyone Else's Records And Mine, Too
Feb 26, 2014

Just got a call from my dr's medical records wanting to know the name of the dr she wants my records sent to (she and I looked it up on the computer during my visit and I saw her write the dr's name down) and my dr's address, which I'm sure was on her request, her name and address.  One of the last times I saw her, they put someone else's vital signs on my records (height, weight, BP and BMI).  Sheesh. ...

Canaries In The Mine
Nov 07, 2014

This discussion actually began on October 3, 2014. To search for it, use the little blue search function and type in You missed something and the date 2014-10-04. I think it bears repeating again for all who might insist that people griping" here about Nuance are just conspiracy theorists. I prefer to think of them as canaries in the mine, warning folks away from Nuance. It is NOT just Nuance, as someone pointed out, but they are the most insidious it seems, about monitoring this board and disco ...

How Are You Paid For PTO? Just Found Out About Mine
Dec 11, 2009

I always thought that companies paid for PTO based on an average of your last 3-6 months production. I just found out that my company pays by the hour!  This means my PTO for a week will be half of what a I normally make?   Have you ever heard of this?  Is this the norm?  ...

I Contacted A Supervisor Other Than Mine And Got
Aug 31, 2010

region when I had had my fill of NJA on the last region I was assigned to.  Where I am now is certainly not perfect, has some NJA, some nasty dictation, but I do have something to type the majority of the time.  If you could come up with the name of one of these supervisors with the critical backlog, fire off a request to be moved.  Worked for me (about 10 months ago).  ...

Is Anybody Elses Email Down (yet Again) Besides Mine? NM
May 21, 2012

xxx ...

TSM Covering While Mine Is Out Is Awesome!
Jul 16, 2014

I'm so jealous of the team who gets to have this particular TSM.  Wow!  She's prompt in returning emails, investigates a problem thoroughly, and is overall very pleasant on the phone.  It's a breath of fresh air!  So if you're in the North and SM runs your show, I want to be on your team! ...

Trans-Tech W2s. Have Not Gotten Mine Yet. Who Should I Call?
Feb 03, 2011

tx ...

Better Keep Eye On Your Timecards. Mine Keeps Reverting To Blanks.
Oct 20, 2012

to fix it and put my schedule in there again.  Not sure how that could affect PTO, if you are working supposedly with no schedule.  But anyway, just a heads up.  Especially if when you go to turn time clock on, if there is no blue indicator on the today's activity plan field.  It that is empty and you are scheduled to be working, make sure the timecard is showing your scheduled hours. ...

Check Your Pay, Payroll Screwed Up On Mine
Mar 08, 2013

Was wondering why my check so little, even though I did have 8 hours of work availability.  Apparently they only paid me for two 15 minute shifts instead of my benefit rate times four hours each shift. If you are in a state that pays you for half of your shift for work availability,make sure to carefully check your pay for this pay period.  ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

A Friend Of Mine Wants To Try This, Can She Make $30.00 An Hour Doing Transcription
Nov 02, 2009

A lady I have talked with wants to train in this kind of work and is planning on going to Andrews. Would she be making at least $30.00 an hour when she gets a job? Thanks. ...

Just Had A Funny Error (mine) That I Wanted To Share Sm
Aug 03, 2010

I was typing my usual docs, hands flying across the keyboard when I typed "bilateral toe and knee replacements". I stopped and thought to myself...hmmm, they do toe replacements? wow!  Then my brain kicked in and realized I should have typed....you guessed it, "bilateral total knee replacements"  ARRGGHHHH, got a good laugh at my own expense out of that one! ...

A Friend Of Mine Asked About MTing Recently ....
Dec 20, 2010

I told her to give it not a second thought, it was a waste of money and time for the schooling required, and, even as an IC, she'd be LUCKY to make $.09 a line and have zero benefits.  I told her she'd be MUCH better off working for McDonald's. Who is going to enter this profession of low pay and no benefits in the future?  Who will stay when, even the transcriptionists who are fortunate enough to be doing straight transcription now, are gone after the switch to VR and ...

A Letter From A Doctor Friend Of Mine To His Congressman
Apr 18, 2013

The following is from a Facebook post from a physician friend of mine.  This is a letter he sent to his congressman.  I got permission from him to post it here.  Long read, but I feel galvanized by this:    I have been dealing with 2 electronic health record (EHR) systems and it is clear that the technology is not ready for implementation. I feel they will increse cost, decrese access, and decrease quality of care in their current state. I encourage anyone reading thi ...

Are You Getting Fiesa Audited Daily? Mine Have Picked Up.
Nov 26, 2013

I have noticed my Fiesa audits have picked up significantly.  Several reports a day usually.  Maybe a day or 2 in a week where there is no audits.  Wondering if they are zoning in on me or if this is norm across the board. ...