A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Computer died....anyone replace a power supply ? - sm - Not happy

Posted: Jun 27, 2010

Woke up to my computer dead (2.5 years old).....shut it down last night, no problems.  Did not notice if the blinking light(of the power button) was on or not last night when I went to bed.  In any case it was off this morning which is not the norm.  DOA.  Tried the obvious, unplugged, replugged in different outlet, etc.  Nada.  Have another old Dell here (has hard drive issues not power supply)  thought maybe I could switch out the power supplies, don't know if they are the same part though have not looked yet, do you think it would matter if they are not the same part number, any thoughts there?  Using a back up computer for now, but reallly need my other computer back....have not backed it up since about November, silly me, so lots of data I need to pull off the hard drive which I will get done if I cannot get this fixed easily or cheaply. Just thought I'd check and see if anyone had ever just gotten a new power supply and if that fixed the problem.  Thanks!

What do you mean by power supply? - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
If you just mean the cord, then I cannot see where it would be a problem, although I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope since the cords seem to be one of those things that they change frequently just to force you to buy a different one all the time.

If you get desperate and are in a thriving metropolis, they make these things called enclosures for laptop hard drives which you put the laptop hardrive into and then plug it in via USB to the new/different laptop. If memory serves, they only run about $20. They are available on-line, too, but is time is of the essence, some place like a Frey's would have them.

Duh me!! They make these for desktop PCs, too. - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
x

No it is not the cord, but the box inside the computer - sm - Not happy

[ In Reply To ..]
that the cord plugs into, it powers your computer or is the power supply. This is a desktop computer but if I can get something like the thing you mention then I will probably just do that and just buy a new CPU, and then just copy my old hardrive to the new...got to get XP for work though so cannot get anything new anyway. Thanks for the tip.

Another option - Still me

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know how tech savvy you are, but they make another option called a docking station which you just plug the hard drive into. Then, if you're comfortable enough using the BIOS on your working PC (and it really isn't that hard), you can just go into it and change the order that it takes start up instructions (usually they're set up to go hard drive and if nothing there go to DVD or CD and if nothing there go to an external device). You can keep the Windows 7 that comes on most new computers now, and just jump into BIOS and tell it to start with the docking station rather than the hard drive, reboot the computer, and you will be in XP. When you're done, if you want to go back into W7, you just switch the BIOS back. That way if you're MTSO ever gets W7 compatibility, you're ready, and meanwhile all your work information will be stored on the external device, allowing you to unplug it every night if you wish and keep it safe from harm.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about, although I have no specific information about this brand. It just happened to be the first one that came up on my google search.
PC - Old MT
[ In Reply To ..]
If you have access to one puter, try Hiwired.com -- no Indian techs and think they charge like 120 -- worst case scenario, reload Windows and all of your drivers. My laptop crashed two weeks ago and working fine since

Power Supply - tootsie

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I have had my power supply replaced twice, but not in the same computer. They cost about 60.00 to 70.00 depending on how many Watts you want to use. The one I just bought a couple months ago has a "lifetime guarantee", but you have to register it first...which I have not done yet...silly me..

If your computer will not power up at all, that is no doubt the problem. much cheaper than getting a whole new computer. Still, best to back up records regularly. My guru tells me at least once a month, but we all know those months can slip by quickly.

Try the power supply first. It sounds like that is all that's wrong. They do not give "warnings" they just go out and that's it. Good luck.

P.S. - tootsie

[ In Reply To ..]
oh...forgot to mention...the power supply for a lap top is much different than one for a desktop PC....I would not recommend trying it. It would not have enough power to power up a desktop PC.

Dead computer is a desktop PC - and the other - sm - Not happy

[ In Reply To ..]
is also a desktop PC. So hoping to just switch the power supply boxes (inside the computer) and have that take care of it. I looked and saw I could just put the hard drive in another PC but need to run something first on the BIOS I think, which of course I cannot get to because the computer won't turn on. Need to find a local geek and get their input, have a guy I used before so may give him a call. Just want to keep it under $100 as I can buy a new CPU for that, which I may end up doing anyway.

Similar Messages:

My Computer Died,
Sep 24, 2012

time that I had to take to set up a new one.  Also, I am being harrassed about being slow when my computer problems were plaguing me, even though I kept my TL informed at all times.  Does this seem reasonable to anyone? ...

I HAVE To Buy A Computer TODAY! Mine Just Died. Can I Get Opinions
Jul 03, 2010

and suggestions.....my budget is around 700.00.   Does anyone use a laptop? Will that withstand an 8 hour day of typing? I have an Emachine now and it is horrible.  If I go with a desktop I would only need the tower. I think I would like a laptop but know nothing about them. I have a shift today so I have to do this ASAP!! Thanks for any suggestions.   ...

Computer Died Unexpectedly....seeking Expertise
Jan 21, 2013

My computer was fine last night but this morning had apparently committed suicide during the night. After powering it off and back on, I received the Dell/Windows screen that normally comes up, then it went to a black screen with the message "NO BOOT DEVICE AVAILABLE." Has anyone else ever encountered this and is it fixable?  I do have a backup computer but I had a lot of information on the hard drive of the other computer I'd love to be able to recover. TIA! ...

INDIA'S POWER GRID COLLAPSES - 680 MILLION LOSE POWER
Jul 31, 2012

One of the things I have repeatedly written and warned about when it comes to outsourcing is the uncertain infrastructure that many foreign countries have - and I'm not just talking about their electrical grids. Foreign countries introduce huge elements of uncertainty (read, RISK) when it comes to their physical infrastructure, but also their social, governmental and legal infrastructures.  And when it comes to something as CRITICAL as American healthcare records (which, may I remind ...

Crazy, Power Hungry, Power Tripping
Jan 09, 2014

cow patty snorting, dense MMEs.  O.M.G. Can't believe the STUPID feedback some of them give.  End of rant ...

Are There Any MT Companies Who Supply Software?
Oct 18, 2009

I have been an MT for 12+ years and have always worked for companies who supply the needed software, spellcheck, etc.   I am in need of a job in the worst way but every company that I read about requires the MT to buy equipment such as C-phone, spellcheck, etc.  I have no money right now to purchase this.  ...

Does Transcend Supply Computers?
Jul 18, 2011

Also, they seem to have lots of different platforms.  Which platform is your favorite? ...

Does M*modal Supply Equipment?
Jun 04, 2012

does M*modal supply equipment? ...

Do Any Companies Supply Equipment Any More?
Oct 11, 2012

I was wondering if anyone knows of any companies that still supply equipment any more? Thank you! ...

Something Just Died
Sep 23, 2011

grrrrr ...

Any Companies Hire PT That Supply Equipment?
Nov 13, 2011

Thanks ...

Does M*Modal Supply The Transcriptionist With Any Equipment?
Oct 11, 2012

Does M*Modal supply the transcriptionist with any equipment? ...

I Can't Believe It, I Think I've Died And Gone To Heaven. Sm
Mar 08, 2011

Wow, all day today and yesterday I have been getting actual transcribe jobs, not ASR!!!  Whuppeeeee!!!!  This ol gal is relishing the respite for a while.  I know it won't last long.  I am enjoying it while I can.   I have been extremely, extremely sick for the last 2 months, and this is a joy for me.  With all the meds I take ASR tends to be too monotonous and I find myself drifting off.  Not good.  Transcribing keeps me alert and focused.  ...

I Think I Died And Went To Heaven....... Sm
Sep 17, 2011

I just got an eleven-minute dictation that I actually had the pleasure of transcribing as opposed to doing speech recognition on it.  The dictator was perfect!!  He spoke at a regular rate, not too fast and not too slow.  His thoughts were organized and he enunciated his words clearly.  I just typed my little heart out on that one and loved every minute of it!!!!  Why can't it always be like that??? <Sigh> ...

I Have Died And Gone To Semicolon Hades
Jan 03, 2014

MME here working on global reports and I'm wondering ... when did semicolons become an acceptable substitution for commas and colons?  In my last report I swear there were no fewer than a million of the little suckers - on every line of the report there were at least a few.   PAST MEDICAL HISTORY: Includes; hypertension; diabetes; hypothyroid.  SOCIAL HISTORY: Nonsmoker; nondrinker; no illicit drug abuse; lives at home; works as a cashier. I can't stand it!!   ...

Father Died In His 50's Or 50s. Confuses Me Every Time!
Apr 06, 2011

nm ...

When Do You Replace Your Keyboard
Jun 14, 2011

I'm trying to stockpile a 2-year supply (wishful thinking?) of Memorex TS1100 keyboards.  I don't think they are being made any more, so I find them on eBay. I use them untill all the print is off the letter keys, all the plastic is gone from several of the letters leaving the metal exposed, there is a piece missing on the space bar where my right thumb goes, and then I dump them.  Do you think I should them longer than this.  I've only ever had one STOP working (I ...

How Many Need To Replace Windows XP
Apr 06, 2014

Just wondered how much richer Bill Gates is going to get by forcing people to upgrade computers and/or software or risk getting viruses or hackers once Windows XP support is gone April 8.  Bill Gates = ...

Does MT School Replace Experience?
Nov 19, 2009

Does having a diploma from an MT school allow you to apply at places that state "2 years experience required" etc. I have a year of experience just from the schools 800 transcription reports that I did in 2 months! ...

2-3 Newbies To Replace 1 Veteran MT
Nov 02, 2010

Just read another interesting article in that it is estimated that it will take 2-3 newbie MTs to replace 1 veteran MT.  Something all these corporate MTSOs better start thinking about.  Once they run all the veteran MTs off, find demand is shifting back to onshore transcription, then what are they going to do.  Even if they pay newbies lets say a mere 6 cpl...that's 18 cpl if it takes 3 to replace 1 veteran, and the veteran makes probably 9 cpl (maybe 10) so it is costing th ...

What Is This M Modal? Is It Going To Replace Docuscribe Or ? N/m
Nov 30, 2011

x ...

Need Recommendation To Replace SH Program...
May 29, 2012

I'm a Webmedx transplant.  Since early next year we will be unable to continue using Shorthand 10.0 program for word expansion, can someone recommend a good substitute that will be compatible with the Enterprise program and Escription?  Years ago I used PRD. Thanks in advance!     ...

How To Do A Find And Replace In Bayscribe?
Jul 16, 2012

Does anyone know how to do a find and replace in Bayscribe? I'm only able to "find" TIA ...

Looking For A New Keyboard To Replace MS Natural Elite.
Jun 30, 2013

Has anyone found a good replacement for their Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard? I'm trying to find something with the same, or very similar, keypad layout. I have a Kinesis Freestyle and just cannot get used to the placement. Very frustrating. I then bought a Microsoft Ergo 4000 and found out afterward many people (myself included) are complaining about a design flaw with the spacebar. An Amazon seller has a Natural Elite for $189, a bit out of my price range right now. So, if anyone has an ...

Anyone Know Why This Text Is In MS Word Find And Replace Box
Dec 16, 2014

When I use Control + F and the Find and Replace box opens up, why is this text already in there? [0-9] {1,} ...

Call-In Dictation System - To Replace Dying Lanier 800
Apr 28, 2010

Looking to replace dying Lanier 800 Call-In System.  Any suggestions?  Any warnings against particular brands?  Approximately 35 dictators, 5 on-site MTs, average of 2,600 minutes monthly of call-in.  Thanks!! ...

MT Power
Jan 28, 2010

We need an MT/ME Bill of Rights.  We should have some input in this company, since without us, it wouldn't exist.  We should: Ding the dingers:  QA/MME should be dinged for each blank They leave, each incorrect correction, and each inconsistent ding for "personal preference" corrections and punctuation. Ding CCM:  For not responding to us within 24 hours of initial contact.  For giving incorrect backlog information, asking for extra help, when, in f ...

10 To The 4th Power
Mar 01, 2012

Can someone tell me how to format "10 to the 4th" power? please. ...

So My Power Goes Out, Right?
Feb 24, 2013

In the middle of a report.  Tripped a breaker or something.  Got the power back on, got the PC up and running again...and it won't let me log in to DQS.  Says somebody's already logged in (that would be me!) and I can't log in till they log out.  In other words, till it times out from inactivity and throws that job back into the queue.  This has never happened to me before! ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...