A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Shortage of qualified transcriptionists - Lee

Posted: Mar 07, 2014

When I contacted my representative about Amnerican transcription jobs being outsourced, my rep said there was a shortage of qualified transcriptionists in the United States.  Do you suppose he got his information from the money mongers who justify their greed by filling our repesentatives' heads full of this bull.  There are plenty of qualified transcriptionists in the US; the MTSOs just do not want to pay for quality.  It is about money Mr. misinformed senator!!!

I hope you explained the real situation to him-- - Cranky

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm wondering if all these "failing" 99% audits aren't MMoral building some kind of case to offshore everything?

NOTHING MM would do - xxx

[ In Reply To ..]
would surprise me.

There IS a shortage of qualified MTs - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
who are willing to work their hands to the bone for 3 rupees a day. It's all about the money.

Lee - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
What state are you in? Did you talk to a state senator or a U.S. senator? Some states have no-offshoring laws. Do you know if yours does?

to me - Lee

[ In Reply To ..]
We are Iowa and it was a US Senator. I get the same reply from everybody. I wrote the president, but no reply from his staff. I think they have a bunch of canned responses that their staff just prints off. Iowa businesses have been outsourcing for years. Even outsourced our livestock genetics. There is no allegiance to the country anymore. Everything is about making a quick buck.

what state? - MarineMom

[ In Reply To ..]
What state would that be that doesn't allow offshoring? But it wouldn't matter would it, if your mtso is in a different state? What I would love, is for patients to have to sign off on permission to have their medical records outsourced to overseas transcriptionists...I for one would not sign off on that!

Shortage of US transcriptionists - Golden Oldie

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a shortage of transcriptionists because we are all leaving the field because of poor pay. When your income goes from $60,000 a year to less than $18,000 minus health ins premiums, you either retire or look for a new field. I did not like being treated like dirt by the big MTSOs. When friends and acquaintances ask me about doing medical transcription, I tell them to go into something else because most cannot make a living wage. Out of 22 MTs (with ecperience of 8 years to 43 years) who worked for the hospital in December 2011, two are still doing medical transcription/editing. Twenty experienced MTs left the field.

Similar Messages:

Shortage Of Qualified MTs?
Jul 01, 2010

The following is on page 13 of Medquist's 1st quarter filing to the SEC.  Apparently by "qualified" they mean willing to work for peanuts and take all the abuse they dish out.  Usually when there is a shortage of workers in a particular industry, it drives wages up.  Funny how it doesn't work that way in MT. Significant developments in the clinical documentation industry include: A shortage of qualified domestic medical transcriptionists (MTs) and medical editors (ME ...

Shortage Of Work At FutureNet? 
Nov 26, 2011

Anyone else having problem with shortage of work at FutureNet?  ...

What Are We Qualified To Do?
Jun 16, 2013

Aside from furthering our education and becoming coders or something to that effect, is there ANYTHING with a livable wage that we are qualified to do after years of transcription experience? Every ad I see for administrative positions requires payroll/bookkeeping experience. I'm the queen of medical terminology and can type like a demon but is it good for ANYTHING??? My job is going to VR in the next month or so. I've been a transcriptionist over 10 years and one girl in our office ha ...

Qualified For Auditing
Mar 31, 2010

Since Audits are affecting us so deeply at this point and possibly costing us our livelihood, I began to wonder WHO is doing the auditing?  We have lost most of the decent QA people (or will as of tomorrow when nothing will be routed to QA anymore).  I know that several of the CTLs, CCMs or whatever the acronym of the hour is currently called, have been morons and sent out E-mails filled with grammatical and punctuation errors, and some have not even been MTs before.  Shouldn ...

Qualified Text?
May 06, 2010

Does anybody work for a company that pays less for something called "qualified text" or in other words pays less for templates, like 10 cpl for transcription but only 5 cpl for the template lines?  Were you with them when they paid full rate for those lines?  I am trying to find out how much impact (perhaps percentage) this has on the bottom line - a paycheck.  The company I work for is going to start doing this and I am wondering how much it is going to hurt.  Obviously it w ...

Qualified Text
Mar 09, 2015

How much are we paid for qualified text, and where do you see that?  Is it in webclock or on our pay stubs? ...

I Actually Qualified For First Quarter Bonus At 100%
May 22, 2013

Unbelievable! I actually qualified for first quarter bonus at 100%. If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would not believe that anybody ever qualified for it. I am in total shock. Unbelievable but happy. It is possible. I didn't think it was.  Did anybody else get it this week? I thought I had read here about a month ago that some people had gotten their bonus, so I thought I had missed the boat.  ...

MTSO Using Qualified Text....does It Impact (sm)
Dec 25, 2010

the amount of your paycheck very much?  I wasn't sure if I should even apply to a MTSO that uses this. ...

Bringing The Qualified Text (QT) Subject Over Here.
Jan 14, 2012

I am under the impression that QT is canned text that we bring into the report and add text at certain spots when the dictator specifies? I used to do a lot of ophthalmology reports. Surgeon would say: Please insert my normal phacoemulsification with IOL implant. Then they would dictate which eye, how many diopters, model and size of lens, etc. Does QT also sometimes just show up on the report that comes up and then we just add what is dictated? How long does it take to bring in the QT? Than ...

Smartronix Limited, Got An Email Saying I Qualified For A Job
Aug 19, 2013

for job interview.  The internet says  there are scams out there for this type of thing.  Anyone hear of this company?  The job is posted on another board.  ...

Well, Guess Verbatim Is Out The Window, Qualified Or Not.
Mar 30, 2014

If whatever the doctor said is a little wonky, doesn't make sense or is a bad sentence, you can and will get dinged for typing what the doctor says. Told to leave a blank so you won't get dinged. ...

Question About Nuance Policy On Qualified (template) Lines
Dec 03, 2014

I was originally with one of the ambulatory groups that came through the back door of Nuance.  Our old ways of doing things have slowly been phased out since Nuance acquired us.  Currently I get 8.5 cpl for standard lines and 1 cpl for qualified (template) lines.  I haven't gotten the email about the video yet, but I've been reading on here about the new 7 cpl rate. What about template lines? Does Nuance pay for template lines? Thanks...  ...

I Hate "qualified Verbatim" So Much.
Mar 27, 2014

Particularly I never know what to do about headings.  If they never dictate headings, it is no problem - I do not put them in.  But if they dictate no headings, until all of a sudden towards the end of the report, they dictate one random heading, then it makes the rest of the report look stupid without headings. Would you put in headings for continuity in the rest of the report, or leave it looking stupid with, eg, one single heading i ...

Transcriptionists With ADD.... I Think Im One Of Them!
Feb 10, 2010

make a living being an MT?  In addition to how low our pay has gotten, and the myriad other problems that we all deal with, if you can't focus, do you think that is cutting into your finances as well? I've always had a suspicion that I have ADD.  Was a totally hyper kid.  Daydreamer in school.  High IQ (148), labelled as "gifted" in 1st Grade, yet with each passing year did less and less well in school.  Looked out the window and zoned out more than I paid att ...

When There Are No More US Transcriptionists...
Aug 19, 2013

M*Modal will call the shots.  No doubt they'll start jacking up prices to the clients then.  That's the way it usually works. Should only take a few more years.  Save a bit now, spend a lot more down the road.  Lol.  Shortsighted fools. ...

EMR's , Will This Mean The End Of Transcriptionists Or Is There Something We Can Do To Stay In
Nov 10, 2009

I am curious what the thoughts are about this. Will is be mandatory in a few years that all doctors offices go to EMR? Will this be the end of the medical transcriptionist or is there something we can do now to prepare for the change and still be in this field? ...

Ever Forget How Much Transcriptionists Really Know?? Sm
Feb 25, 2010

I am training someone and I am now reminded how far I have come, how much I have learned, and the things I take for granted and assume others know.   Basic things, just proper English, not even taking into consideration the medical terminology.  Knowing whether a sentence makes sense or not.  We really should be paid better.  But it is nice to feel smart sometimes....and you know anyone who can do this job really does have to be pretty darn intelligent.   Fello ...

SHREVEPORT, LA TRANSCRIPTIONISTS
May 20, 2010

If there are any MT's in the Shreveport/Bossier City, Louisiana area on this board, there are a few local employment agencies, in particular Jean Simpson and Career Adventures that are looking for transcriptionists for positions at physician's offices.  I recently got an in-house position and just want to pass along the news to anyone in this area that may be looking for a position.    ...

Axolotl Transcriptionists
May 26, 2010

I wouIld like to know what your opinion is on M-modal.  Do you like it or not?  Is it helpful to you?  Are you being nit-picked to death about it? ...

This Is Actually The Future For Transcriptionists, Sm
Aug 03, 2010

Go to this website.  Transcriptionists will no longer be needed in the future for transcribing or editing.  One of my friends told me the hospital she retired from is going to this system and their transcription department will eventually no longer exist.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMEf11GmBo ...

Fellow Transcriptionists . . .
Oct 11, 2011

I am now down to 3 companies (from 4) trying to make a living at this, wondering what I should do next.  I'd like to go get my coding diploma and move on from there as I cannot take this anymore.  Four jobs and between all of them I got $700 last week and am still waiting for checks to arrive.  I asked one of them why it wasn't DD and they said they would cut and mail the check.  Lord knows when the other one will arrive.  I don't know, don't YOU ...

Anyone Know What They Pay The Global Transcriptionists?
Nov 16, 2012

How can they possibly get paid less than us? We get paid peanuts and if it is so lucrative for this company to send stuff offshore just wondering what they pay the indian transcriptionists?  ...

Pathology Transcriptionists Please Help
Mar 13, 2014

I work in the path department and when a malignant case comes up that requires a CAP, I defer to the CAP summary.  The docs dictate "lymphovascular . . ." but the CAP summaries will have "lymph-vascular . . ."   The problem is today I was checking the CAP protocol for the Lung CA and the word was used both ways.  In the actual protocol itself, there was the hyphenated version as a header, i.e., but then in the explanatory notes at the end of the protocol  there' ...

Future Ad For Transcriptionists
Mar 31, 2014

Ok, I am just venting some frustration here   Wanted: Experienced medical transcriptionist, VR experience.  Just for the privilege of doing transcription for us we will only charge you 3 cpl.  You may pay us by direct deposit each Friday.  The personal satisfaction you will receiving from being a part of making our company succeed and be profitable, along with satisfying the facility you are striving to put out perfect reports for should be enough for you, as we are t ...

UPMC Transcriptionists
Jul 28, 2014

I would like to get some information from the UPMC transcriptionists that lost their jobs at UPMC when their jobs were outsourced to Nuance. Please respond via email. I would greatly appreciate your help! Thanks! ...

MModal Transcriptionists
Jan 01, 2015

Curious as to the workload of MModal now.  I reitred almost a year ago after issues with speech recognition versus transcription. ...

EPIC-new EMR With No Transcriptionists Needed??
Jan 26, 2010

Hello! Just wondering if anyone has heard of "Epic" a new EMR. I work for a doctor's office and was told no need anymore for transcription. Checking to see if anyone is in the same boat I am or heard of this new EMR. Thanks ...

Was Told That AHDI Said Transcriptionists Should Be
Mar 23, 2010

able to do any type of transcription.  Not sure if that is tier 3 or any transcriptionist, but AHDI is not a friend of the MT.  AHDI and MQ are certainly in bed together and against the MT.  ...

Nurse Medical Transcriptionists ??
Jun 26, 2011

I came across an ad recently catering to unemployed new registered nurses who need jobs badly. I am understanding that the market for RNs and healthcare in general is saturated and then some; however, this article specifically stated "Nurse Medical Transcriptionists." I saw it on All Nurses forum; I don't remember the company . . . BUT a lot of nurses were responding with interest because they can't get jobs. The only thing that was running through my mind was "you have no idea people ...

Are There Any Jobs Out Their For New Medical Transcriptionists?
Sep 16, 2010

I've recently graduated with an Associate of Applied Science degree and I received my Certificate in Medical Transcription. I've taken several tests for companies over the Internet but they all say the same thing in response to me, "gain more experience, and then come back to us." How can I gain more experience when no one will hire a newbie? If anyone has any advice on this subject, please let me know. ...