A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Transcriptionists with ADD.... I think Im one of them! - Do any of you have it? If so, how do you - s/m

Posted: Feb 10, 2010

make a living being an MT?  In addition to how low our pay has gotten, and the myriad other problems that we all deal with, if you can't focus, do you think that is cutting into your finances as well?

I've always had a suspicion that I have ADD.  Was a totally hyper kid.  Daydreamer in school.  High IQ (148), labelled as "gifted" in 1st Grade, yet with each passing year did less and less well in school.  Looked out the window and zoned out more than I paid attention, unless I really liked a particular subject, such as science.

So now, fast-forward about 50 years, and it seems worse than ever.  My sis said she thought I had it big-time; compared me to some of her friends who struggle with it.  I went on some ADD websites and made a checklist of the symptoms of adult ADD, and holy ____, I matched about 99.8% of everything.  Surprised

Sis & I both LOL'ed as we compared our struggles with housework.  Not real high up on the interest list, so we're both like: "Gotta mop the kitchen floor.  Oh, look!  A dust bunny!  Get broom and dust pan.  Eeek!  A spider!  Deal with that.  Start to mop floor.  The mailman's here!  Spend 30 minutes on front steps reading the mail.  Remember floor.  Notice pet-hair on rug, detour for vacuum cleaner.  Notice note to myself on vacuum cleaner that says "needs new belt for motor".  Look thru junk drawer for new belt.  See hammer.  Remember there was a picture in the hallway that needed hanging.  Look for nail.  Notice power drill.  Play with that.  Forget nail.  Turn on PC and check email.  Look up from PC about 4 hours later.  Remember kitchen floor.  Detour to kitchen to make breakfast.  (It is now 3:15 pm).  Notice freezer needs defrosting.  Start to empty refrigerator.  Phone rings.  Short conversation, but now in different room.  Surf web some more.  See empty petfood bowl.  Oops!  Forgot to feed them again!  Feed pets.  Forget turned-off refrigerator.  Decide to go for a short hike.  Some home, realize fridge has melted all over floor, food is spoiled.  Throw out food, talk to neighbor over fence near garbage cans.  Remember kitchen floor.  Go inside, see empty fridge, make grocery list."  And so on, and so on.  This is my LIFE.  Imagine trying to also keep up a minimum linecount with 20 or 30 thoughts and to-do-list items flying around in your head.

Also suffer from depression, which is treated with an SSRI.  I don't think the depression was caused by ADD, but it sure isn't being helped by it, either! 

So.  That said, I'm sitting here realizing, after having lost focus on the op-report I'm typing for about the zillionth time, and having surfed the web for about as many times as well, (including going on MTStars, again!),  that this focus thing is having a hugely negative impact on my ability to earn a living.  And of course, worrying about not making a living just adds another 15 or 20 random thoughts to the cyclone inside my head. 

Do any of you have this problem, and if so, how on earth do you keep yourself on-task when you're trying to work?  Especially if it's boring, tedious, you're trying to learn a new account or new software, etc.? 

Any insight into how you deal with this would be IMMENSELY appreciated!

ADD - tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Ah you sound just like me! Teachers pet in all grade school classes. Only got good grades in high school with something I wanted to learn about. One thing I have learned, do not dwell on ADD. For one thing SSRIs do not help with ADD or depression. I make it a habit to write everything down that I want to accomplish that day, that week or that month. Constantly writing notes. Just remember to check the notes. If I did not make notes I would get absolutely nothing done. I am also a Big Dreamer and always have been. I make it a point to write down how to achieve my dreams one slow step at a time. Because with ADD it seems like you are involved in everything all at once and your brain races around trying to get everything done. You just have to accept the fact that you are different than everybody else and you are different for a reason. Most people who accomplish a lot in life have been known to have ADD. It is people like us who have the dreams that fuel inventions, new technologies. I have always known that I was different from other people because my dreams were always bigger than theirs I guess. You just have to accept it. Write everything down to get things done in the day. That is the main key. Good Luck. Anyhow this is how I deal with my ADD.

Transcriptionists with ADD - BH

[ In Reply To ..]
Working a shift really helps. We have to get a certain amount of lines per hour, so we can't even take time to eat, unless we are full-time.

RIDDLED WITH ADD - onlyhuman

[ In Reply To ..]
I relate to that exactly. I didn't know I had ADD till I was 57. I was at my girlfriend's mother's house for dinner and the wife of her brother quietly told her I have ADD. Then my girlfriend told me later that Kim said I have ADD because of the way I act. I act happy, loud, energetic and people know when I'm in the room. My girlfriend finally told me after 26 years that she also thinks I have ADD but didn't know how to tell me. Anyway, I relate to everything you said. As far as typing, I have to turn off the TV, hard for me to do, and focus on what I am typing and then I have to proofread what I just typed. And you have to do it all the time. Focusing is the key to this whole thing. You cannot let your mind wander at all. That is all I can offer. There is no other way. Then you can focus on how much more you typed than last week, or how much more money you made this week than last week. Focus on your focus.
Good luck

Thanks for the replies & ideas! - ADD-MT - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Was relieved to read that writing notes helps. I do that a lot, but of course often lose the notes! Tried something new tonight. Took a big sheet of 8x11 paper and whenever some thought that I was fixating on (phone bill is overdue, dishes are piling up, cats need new food, etc.), I just wrote it down. Then I can forget it for a while, and the full-size paper is harder to lose.

That's the only way I can travel anywhere. The pre-trip to-do list and the packing list would drive me nuts. So now, about a week before I leave I just keep a piece of pape in my hip pocket. Every time something I need to remember pops into my head, I write it down, then can forget it, because I can refer to the list when packing.

I've found I just can't proofread. That makes my mind wander the worst, and often I end up falling totally asleep at my desk. So, I zoom in and make the print bigger, so fewer words on the page, and proof the best I can as I go along.

As for SSRIs (prescribed for depression), I found they actually help to some extent with focus. On an SSRI, I have only 20 or so thoughts racing around in my head, as opposed to maybe 40 or more. There's also always music going on in my head, but that's been going on so long, I've learned to ignore it.

I bought a big old clock with a loud chime for my living room, and it "bongs" every half hour. On more than one occasion it has startled me back into reality, so I could get back to work.

Anyway, it's funny - I've recognized ADD-like symptoms in friends of mine, but never in myself until I was talking with my sister. Then I did some research online and was surprised to read how many symptoms described matched mine.

The Internet has been both a blessing and a curse. My brain & the ADD like it, because it feeds off the way the Internet works - with ads and news and articles and such always popping up to distract me. But, those same things lead my mind astray, and one site leads to another until I'm far away from whatever it is I'd gone there to research. I suppose just recognizing that the Internet feeds the problem is a step towards finding a way to cutting back on how much time I spend/waste there.

I read one idea online for working on boring or repetitive tasks. (LOL - like medical transcription?) It suggested using a timer and while it's ticking, trying to work for a short, but intense spurt. Then when it goes off, you set it again for about 5 minutes, and do something else. Then you set it again and go back to work for another intense spurt. Don't know if I'd care to put up with timers going off all the time, but maybe it's worth a try, just for a while anyway.

Thanks again for the ideas on how you all deal with lack of focus on the job.

ADD and MT - MTinFL28

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel your pain on this one. I was diagnosed at 15, but told that I would "outgrow it."

Turns out I am in the lucky group of people who not only don't outgrow ADD, but I am in the 5% overall that will also carry the hyperactivity component with me all of my life and probably require treatment with medication indefinitely.

However, in this field, medical insurance is not always an option and medications can be very expensive, and suffice it to say that I am not on any currently.

I use a timer. XNote stopwatch is a good one (google for it). I set it for 30 minutes and during that 30 minutes I am only aloud to work and do work-related tasks. Then, I set it for 5 to 10 minutes for a break from typing where I can do whatever. Once that goes off, I set it for another 30 and work like gangbusters again. In the first week I started doing this, I actually doubled my production, and was shocked at how much wasted time I had in a day.

OMG, you just described me!! - Disabled?

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanx, now I have another thing to worry about and spend hours looking up on the web instead of working, LOL. I feel for you and know just what you are talking about, but do not have any helpful information. Oh look, my books are dusty, cannot have that...

ADHD - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been diagnosed with ADHD and have the exact same problem as you, except I spend about half the time bouncing off the walls as well....Anyway, I tried the drugs, don't know why you would give speed to someone who is already speeding but hey it works for some people, but they did not work for me. I set a timer for one hour and work for that hour without getting out of the chair and then set it for 10 minutes and do my bouncing and then back to the chair again.. some days this works really well and some days not so good but in the long run it works better for me than the medications!!! Good luck!!

Similar Messages:

When There Are No More US Transcriptionists...
Aug 19, 2013

M*Modal will call the shots.  No doubt they'll start jacking up prices to the clients then.  That's the way it usually works. Should only take a few more years.  Save a bit now, spend a lot more down the road.  Lol.  Shortsighted fools. ...

EMR's , Will This Mean The End Of Transcriptionists Or Is There Something We Can Do To Stay In
Nov 10, 2009

I am curious what the thoughts are about this. Will is be mandatory in a few years that all doctors offices go to EMR? Will this be the end of the medical transcriptionist or is there something we can do now to prepare for the change and still be in this field? ...

Ever Forget How Much Transcriptionists Really Know?? Sm
Feb 25, 2010

I am training someone and I am now reminded how far I have come, how much I have learned, and the things I take for granted and assume others know.   Basic things, just proper English, not even taking into consideration the medical terminology.  Knowing whether a sentence makes sense or not.  We really should be paid better.  But it is nice to feel smart sometimes....and you know anyone who can do this job really does have to be pretty darn intelligent.   Fello ...

SHREVEPORT, LA TRANSCRIPTIONISTS
May 20, 2010

If there are any MT's in the Shreveport/Bossier City, Louisiana area on this board, there are a few local employment agencies, in particular Jean Simpson and Career Adventures that are looking for transcriptionists for positions at physician's offices.  I recently got an in-house position and just want to pass along the news to anyone in this area that may be looking for a position.    ...

Axolotl Transcriptionists
May 26, 2010

I wouIld like to know what your opinion is on M-modal.  Do you like it or not?  Is it helpful to you?  Are you being nit-picked to death about it? ...

This Is Actually The Future For Transcriptionists, Sm
Aug 03, 2010

Go to this website.  Transcriptionists will no longer be needed in the future for transcribing or editing.  One of my friends told me the hospital she retired from is going to this system and their transcription department will eventually no longer exist.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMEf11GmBo ...

Fellow Transcriptionists . . .
Oct 11, 2011

I am now down to 3 companies (from 4) trying to make a living at this, wondering what I should do next.  I'd like to go get my coding diploma and move on from there as I cannot take this anymore.  Four jobs and between all of them I got $700 last week and am still waiting for checks to arrive.  I asked one of them why it wasn't DD and they said they would cut and mail the check.  Lord knows when the other one will arrive.  I don't know, don't YOU ...

Anyone Know What They Pay The Global Transcriptionists?
Nov 16, 2012

How can they possibly get paid less than us? We get paid peanuts and if it is so lucrative for this company to send stuff offshore just wondering what they pay the indian transcriptionists?  ...

Pathology Transcriptionists Please Help
Mar 13, 2014

I work in the path department and when a malignant case comes up that requires a CAP, I defer to the CAP summary.  The docs dictate "lymphovascular . . ." but the CAP summaries will have "lymph-vascular . . ."   The problem is today I was checking the CAP protocol for the Lung CA and the word was used both ways.  In the actual protocol itself, there was the hyphenated version as a header, i.e., but then in the explanatory notes at the end of the protocol  there' ...

Future Ad For Transcriptionists
Mar 31, 2014

Ok, I am just venting some frustration here   Wanted: Experienced medical transcriptionist, VR experience.  Just for the privilege of doing transcription for us we will only charge you 3 cpl.  You may pay us by direct deposit each Friday.  The personal satisfaction you will receiving from being a part of making our company succeed and be profitable, along with satisfying the facility you are striving to put out perfect reports for should be enough for you, as we are t ...

UPMC Transcriptionists
Jul 28, 2014

I would like to get some information from the UPMC transcriptionists that lost their jobs at UPMC when their jobs were outsourced to Nuance. Please respond via email. I would greatly appreciate your help! Thanks! ...

MModal Transcriptionists
Jan 01, 2015

Curious as to the workload of MModal now.  I reitred almost a year ago after issues with speech recognition versus transcription. ...

EPIC-new EMR With No Transcriptionists Needed??
Jan 26, 2010

Hello! Just wondering if anyone has heard of "Epic" a new EMR. I work for a doctor's office and was told no need anymore for transcription. Checking to see if anyone is in the same boat I am or heard of this new EMR. Thanks ...

Was Told That AHDI Said Transcriptionists Should Be
Mar 23, 2010

able to do any type of transcription.  Not sure if that is tier 3 or any transcriptionist, but AHDI is not a friend of the MT.  AHDI and MQ are certainly in bed together and against the MT.  ...

Nurse Medical Transcriptionists ??
Jun 26, 2011

I came across an ad recently catering to unemployed new registered nurses who need jobs badly. I am understanding that the market for RNs and healthcare in general is saturated and then some; however, this article specifically stated "Nurse Medical Transcriptionists." I saw it on All Nurses forum; I don't remember the company . . . BUT a lot of nurses were responding with interest because they can't get jobs. The only thing that was running through my mind was "you have no idea people ...

Are There Any Jobs Out Their For New Medical Transcriptionists?
Sep 16, 2010

I've recently graduated with an Associate of Applied Science degree and I received my Certificate in Medical Transcription. I've taken several tests for companies over the Internet but they all say the same thing in response to me, "gain more experience, and then come back to us." How can I gain more experience when no one will hire a newbie? If anyone has any advice on this subject, please let me know. ...

Pay Type For Medical Transcriptionists
Jan 25, 2011

Why do medical transcriptionists have to be paid by line.  Who started that?  Why can't they be paid per hour like other jobs?     ...

TRANSCRIPTIONISTS CAREERS ENDING?
May 02, 2011

HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT TRANSCRIPTIONISTS WILL NO LONGER BE NEEDED IN THE YEAR 2013 AS PHYSICIANS WILL BE GIVEN INCENTIVES TO CARRY LAPTOPS AND ENTER ALL INFO IN? ...

Keystrokes 4/25/2011 Ad For 50+ Transcriptionists
May 05, 2011

Anyone heard back from this ad?  I received a letter stating they were reviewing my resume.    ...

Union For Medical Transcriptionists
Jul 11, 2011

I know this idea has been tossed around a lot but yet nothing has been done about it (to my knowledge - if someone knows different, please correct me). I am in agreement that we as transcriptionists need to band together so that we don't get treated unfairly and not paid what we are actually worth. I know there are many of us that have chosen medical transcription as our career and are still holding on and sticking through the changes. How do you go about creating a union for transcriptio ...

Med. Transcriptionists Required To Get Flu Shots?
Oct 01, 2011

HI all, I could've sworn I read this somewhere that medical transcriptionists - even the REMOTE ones WORKING AT HOME ! - are REQUIRED by some employers to get annual flu shots. Is this true?? Does anyone have any experience with this? I found it quite odd, to say the least. Also, does anyone know if this is true of med transcriptionists that work IN A HOSPITAL - this I know, that some hospitals these days are requiring vaccinations of all workers. Ready and waiting to read your input :&nb ...

How Many Canadian Medical Transcriptionists?
Mar 02, 2012

I was just wondering if there are very many Canadian medical transcriptionists who visit this forum. In Canada we are not "certified" i.e. I took a six month course at college and have a certificate, but we do not have a professional organization as such. I wish we did! Sometimes I can find a word here when asking the other girls in the office doesn't come up with any new ideas. ...

Medical Transcriptionists Not Getting Paid
Aug 20, 2012

Please do not work for PreciseMT based out of Nebraska!!  Please forward this e-mail around so no one else falls for this!  This loss of wages has put such a burden on me and my family.  I don't want anyone else to suffer.   http://www.wowt.com/factfinders/headlines/Medical-Workers-Not-Being-Paid-166705406.html ...

Patient First Ad For Transcriptionists. Not Sure If There Really Are Jobs.
Nov 07, 2012

Maybe old posting on the internet...not sure, or if all jobs are taken.  Hard time finding the "transcription" postings and then led to a test.  Not that long of a test but then states you did not pass then prompts you to a sign-up for medical terminology classes.  Not sure if this is just a class sign up come on.  If I were going to take a class, it surely would not be in transcription as there are no jobs out there.  We are given other avenues  ...

Any Hospitals That Still Hire Transcriptionists
Feb 19, 2013

Does anyone know of any hospitals that still hire transcriptionists? Please help if so...Thanks! ...

Job Outlook For Medical Transcriptionists
Mar 24, 2013

http://bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Medical-transcriptionists.htm ...

Question For General Transcriptionists.
Apr 22, 2013

For those of you that do general transcription, when you have a long file, do you listen to it over again at the end to proof it? How do you proof a long file? ...

Shortage Of Qualified Transcriptionists
Mar 07, 2014

When I contacted my representative about Amnerican transcription jobs being outsourced, my rep said there was a shortage of qualified transcriptionists in the United States.  Do you suppose he got his information from the money mongers who justify their greed by filling our repesentatives' heads full of this bull.  There are plenty of qualified transcriptionists in the US; the MTSOs just do not want to pay for quality.  It is about money Mr. misinformed senator!!! ...

Nuance Contempt For Their Transcriptionists
Apr 05, 2014

"Fiesa and XP computers, etc - me Posted: Apr 4th, 2014 - 1:56 am Everyone acts like it's all something new not to be provided a computer.  As a former recruiter, let me tell you that 98% of equipment sent out was not returned and this very expensive for any company.  It's not Nuance's fault XP will no longer be protected.  There is no reason to go in debt for a new computer when you can easily buy one for less than 200, and remember it's all tax deducti ...

Transcriptionists Should Not Be Paid By Productivity!
Dec 04, 2014

I just can't hold it in any longer!  HAVE to vent about this!  And if you are going to PROMISE somebody a full-time job....HAVE THE WORK AVAILABLE TO DO!!!!  AND, don't bellyache when you end up having to pay that person minimum wage because they are not able to meet your (sometimes impossible) quota for reasons beyond that person's control (i.e. difficult dictators, having to go looking for the patient because the dictator did not put in all the informati ...