A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Fellow Transcriptionists . . . - mt

Posted: Oct 11, 2011

I am now down to 3 companies (from 4) trying to make a living at this, wondering what I should do next.  I'd like to go get my coding diploma and move on from there as I cannot take this anymore.  Four jobs and between all of them I got $700 last week and am still waiting for checks to arrive.  I asked one of them why it wasn't DD and they said they would cut and mail the check.  Lord knows when the other one will arrive.  I don't know, don't YOU need your paycheck when you are supposed to have it?

I got a phone call from an old friend today.  One that I had tried to talk into going out on her own with me when I had my own accounts some 15 years ago.  I decided I didn't want the pressure with 3 small children at home, but after her doctor's office closed, she went for it, while I went from MTSO to MTSO looking for some decent pay.  She is taking on another account, looking for a transcriptionist.  How about it, she says?  Day hours, steady pay, (VERY GOOD PAY).  And, I am thanking God for answered prayers.  I haven't given her an answer yet, but it would be pretty dumb to not take it especially since I do want to have some steady hours where I can go back to school.  So it is with no regrets and no sadness I will say goodbye to the online MT world of MTSO and thank God for a good friend who thought of me today after years of no communication.  I feel like I just lost 30 pounds.  WHEW.  Thank God for answered prayers.  Bless you all.

There IS something out there taking care of us. - justask

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so thankful you shared. We just have to hang onto our hope.

Maybe the local colleges are a sign too. - Or an answer?

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Local colleges are gouging everyone. - education debt

[ In Reply To ..]
I applied at one local college, and they wanted $90,000 for what I wanted to do. I'd never pay that off before I'm dead!.
Wow! I was actually thinking even a quick 6-month - certificate would be very self-helpful.
[ In Reply To ..]
You know, the old saying about ...helps those who help themselves?

For you, I hope you're still shopping and planning, and dreaming.

So glad that everything worked out for you. sm - JustPassingThrough

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish you well. Answered prayers truly are a blessing.

Major Congrats! - Scoobie-Doobie

[ In Reply To ..]
Good for you! I think I may cry I am so happy for you! When you have that first lunch with co-workers and drive home at a set time after a day's work, pinch yourself!!! I am very happy for you. Gives me encouragement to do something, not sure what, but something.

just goes to show - lucky2

[ In Reply To ..]
that paying it forward works. Eventually what goes around comes around, although I have noticed it happens much faster now than years ago. Eventually everyone gets what they deserve. You deserved a break.

Well said - gintex

[ In Reply To ..]
What goes around comes around!

wow, never thought of it that way . . . thank you! - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I really am so happy for you..nm - OuttaHereToo

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I'm happy for you too. Thanks for sharing that with us (sm) - Mary

[ In Reply To ..]
I have an interview tomorrow here in town with a huge ortho center. I'm praying they offer me full-time so I can leave the MTSOs behind!

The most encouraging post on this board today. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Just today I was thinking to myself how long it has been since I prayed. You have reminded me tonight. Thank you!

Congrats & advice? - antigeekess

[ In Reply To ..]
Glad to hear you've found a position you're happy with! I've been working as an MT in a psych hospital/substance abuse facility for a little under a year, but my hours have been cut, so I need a supplement. Graduated a program in 2009 with a 4.0 and a great letter of recommendation. Any ideas for me about the online MT world?

ideas on online MT world . . . - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
It will never be the same. It worked so well for me when I first started, but it has gotten to be such a struggle, I will never go back. I am tired of slow or no answer emails, instant messaging, and waiting on paychecks. I am also tired of the cutthroat turnaround times and having to work evenings when my family needs me most. It's a tough one to get into and I would avoid it at all costs.

Thanks... - antigeekess

[ In Reply To ..]
...for the warning. It's not looking too good, is it? I may investigate a little to see if there are any decent online jobs hiding somewhere, but I think it's probably time to seek employment in another area altogether, or see if there's actually a better onsite position in this city.

Similar Messages:

HAPPY NEW YEAR FELLOW TRANSCRIPTIONISTS!
Dec 31, 2012

I just wanted to wish all of us good health, and a happy and prosporus New Year in 2013! I think we all could use a break from worrying, working too much or too little and see a future in medical transcription without our jobs being ripped out from under us through outsourcing or smaller pay. I know it's wishful thinking, but Happy New Year to all of you. MT2 ...

Dear MModal And Fellow Transcriptionists
Mar 09, 2015

I have been off your payroll for one week and three days.  This has been the happiest days of my life.  I do not miss you at all.  What you have done is take medical transcriptionists and make them into editors.  If we wanted to check what some computer or some foreigner had typed, we would have taken that course in college.  We transcribe.  It is what we do.  It is what we do best.  When you expect us to edit, you take away our ability to create, which is ...

Fellow MT'ers
May 04, 2010

I have been working for this hospital a year, after having worked from home for 15 years.  They brought their transcription back in-house and hired me and another transcriptionist around the same time. From the beginning, I was more productive than the other transcriptions, but there was not a minimum quota set at that time that we were aware of, so we were just cruising along.  Well, the work started getting behind and they started looking closely at the minutes we were doing, and I w ...

THANK YOU FOR ALL MY FELLOW MTs
Nov 04, 2010

I just wanted to take the time to thank all of you guys for being so caring about each other.  When the system went down, you were right there encouraging each other.  Somebody gave the site address of the Red/Yello/Green status (which I admit I had forgotten and could not get into E-mail to retrieve it).  I went to the site and clicked right and made a shortcut.  Others gave instructions on what to do for down time.  I just think you all are GREAT!!!  It is so nice ...

Please Fellow MTs, Whatever You Do, Do Not
Nov 18, 2011

hire on with Accentus!!  Not only will they load your PC with junk software that will make it crash (mine has 3 times so far), but they will be rude and claim you abandoned your job!!  Very rude staff and the poster below is an owner.  I am just trying to warn others.  That is my last word on the issue. ...

Help Out There For A Fellow MT?
Aug 04, 2012

Can someone help me get a job there?  I am a very hard worker, not afraid of ESL, stick to my schedule, QA 99-100%.  I just finished the test, but I was wondering how they grade, based on what, because I didn't get a chance to explain things like headings, use of BOS (using mL for cc, is that already expected throughout the industry) or was everything supposed to be strict verbatim?  Also, punctuation and grammar now is expected to be perfect, but if it doesn't interfere ...

Something Nice For Fellow MTs.
Jul 21, 2010

STONE TWO FRIENDS WERE WALKINGTHROUGH THE DESERT .DURING SOME POINT OF THEJOURNEY, THEY HAD ANARGUMENT; AND ONE FRIENDSLAPPED THE OTHER ONEIN THE FACETHE ONE WHO GOT SLAPPEDWAS HURT, BUT WITHOUTSAYING ANYTHING,WROTE IN THE SAND ,TODAY MY BEST FRIENDSLAPPED ME IN THE FACE .THEY KEPT ON WALKING,UNTIL THEY FOUND AN OASIS,WHERE THEY DECIDEDTO TAKE A BATHTHE ONE WHO HAD BEENSLAPPED GOT STUCK IN THEMIRE AND STARTED DROWNING,BUT THE FRIEND SAVED HIM.AFTER HE RECOVERED FROMTH ...

Referring Fellow MTs
Feb 28, 2013

Nuance actually had the nerve to send out an email about referring fellow MTs to their company.  Either they are that brazen or just clueless as to how bad their company is.  I don't advise anyone looking for a job to even consider this field, let alone the worst company I've ever worked for. ...

Does Your Company Allow You To Have Fellow Team...sm
May 03, 2010

Fellow team members yahoo IDs?  Or is it frowned upon?  My company frowns on interacting with fellow employees.  It makes you feel so isolated though.  Is this a common practice with companies cause I've never really encountered it before?  This is my first time working for a big national though, so maybe that's why I haven't encountered this before.    ...

Let's Make A Stand For Fellow MTs
Jun 06, 2010

It is very disheartening to hear what has happened to our fellow MTs who have recently been terminated by Transcend.  To add insult to injury they turn around and have an abudance of openings they are now hiring for.  I will not apply there and I feel no one else should either.  Make them sweat it!   I know it is tough right now and we all need a good job.  This has got to stop and the only way these companies won't get away with it is if we don't tolerat ...

Input Wanted From My Fellow MQ'rs
Jun 10, 2010

I'm totally getting burned out at MQ.  If it's not the NJA with requests to change schedule, then it's the lack of primary and getting other unknown accounts slowing me down.  I've gone from full-time at MQ down to working part-time with another part-time job to make up lost income now for the past 7 months.  When I started MT'ing so many years ago, the pay was great and being able to set my own schedule was a real plus as well.  It was the ...

Job Offer - Need Input From Fellow MTs
Jul 29, 2010

FT IC Radiology  Per minute 0.95 per minute until out of QA 1.05 per minute following release from QA 600 minute minimum per pay period. Above 120 minutes = 1 and 1/2 x 1.05 per minute I have over 15 years of experience.  I need to know if this can pay my bills but it is hard to gauge without knowing the account (how many templates/normals are used, if cherrypicking takes place, if the account is overstaffed or if there is working during the afternoon shift).  ...

Some Advice For Fellow Newbies
Aug 02, 2010

As a former “newbie”, I would like to offer a little bit of advice to other newbies.  When I first got into medical transcription, I thought that some of the advice given on these boards was a little harsh and sometimes downright nasty.  Without a doubt, there are always going to be some nasty people on message boards, but overall, I think most of the advice given here is well intentioned.  Let me explain a little bit of my story.   I was unemployed for about si ...

Happy Thanksgiving To All My Fellow MTs
Nov 28, 2013

out there.   If you are working ~ hope there is plenty of work and if you are off ~ hope you have a blessed day with family! ...

Fellow MT Suggested Oracle. Do They Have Enough Work?
Apr 01, 2010

Looking for more work, need a company with plenty! ...

Redpen And Fellow Coders, Infusion?
Jun 24, 2010

What is your opinion on the ICD-9 Procedure code for an infusion of Remicade for rheumatoid arthritis or Crohn's disease?  Since this is considered a high-risk drug, the CPT codes are in the antineoplastic category.  But matching up a ICD-9 is not clear.  Since Remicade is a biologic response modifier you can go down that path.  It is also a monoclonal antibody, so you can go down that path.  So far I have come up with 99.28, 99.25, 00.18, and the usual 99.29.  ...

To My Fellow ETrans Co-workers, I Think I Know How The Turkey
Oct 03, 2011

feels at Thanksgiving ...

HAPPY MT WEEK To All My Fellow M*Modal MTs!
May 20, 2012

Good Monday Morning, Fellow MTs!
Apr 15, 2013

company work song (like they do in Japan)! Suggestions? ...

Across The Board Apology To My Respected Fellow MQers. Sm
Nov 30, 2010

First, I suppose I have come across here in a tone that was bitter and hateful.  I ask forgiveness for that.  Now, to tell me I am wrong for venting my hatred (wow, where did that come from) and venom on here was extremely hurtful to me.  I have read many, many, many posts here on this board; which is meant to be a place where we can share and vent supposedly without recrimination and some empathy.  And there are many who are also long-time employees who have serious medical ...

Dear Fellow MTs Who Were Hired To Help Out A Sister On The Night Shift...
Jul 20, 2011

I don't mean to sound like a dink, but I'm wicked exhausted from working my fingers to the bone, 7 nights a week for several weeks now, because people who were hired to work the graveyard shift are flaking out and not showing up or pulling their weight.  No, I don't HAVE to work 7 nights a week, and yet I'm doing it because I'm terrified the wonderful little company that I've worked for, for nearly 11 years now, will lose this really big acc ...

Transcriptionists With ADD.... I Think Im One Of Them!
Feb 10, 2010

make a living being an MT?  In addition to how low our pay has gotten, and the myriad other problems that we all deal with, if you can't focus, do you think that is cutting into your finances as well? I've always had a suspicion that I have ADD.  Was a totally hyper kid.  Daydreamer in school.  High IQ (148), labelled as "gifted" in 1st Grade, yet with each passing year did less and less well in school.  Looked out the window and zoned out more than I paid att ...

When There Are No More US Transcriptionists...
Aug 19, 2013

M*Modal will call the shots.  No doubt they'll start jacking up prices to the clients then.  That's the way it usually works. Should only take a few more years.  Save a bit now, spend a lot more down the road.  Lol.  Shortsighted fools. ...

EMR's , Will This Mean The End Of Transcriptionists Or Is There Something We Can Do To Stay In
Nov 10, 2009

I am curious what the thoughts are about this. Will is be mandatory in a few years that all doctors offices go to EMR? Will this be the end of the medical transcriptionist or is there something we can do now to prepare for the change and still be in this field? ...

Ever Forget How Much Transcriptionists Really Know?? Sm
Feb 25, 2010

I am training someone and I am now reminded how far I have come, how much I have learned, and the things I take for granted and assume others know.   Basic things, just proper English, not even taking into consideration the medical terminology.  Knowing whether a sentence makes sense or not.  We really should be paid better.  But it is nice to feel smart sometimes....and you know anyone who can do this job really does have to be pretty darn intelligent.   Fello ...

SHREVEPORT, LA TRANSCRIPTIONISTS
May 20, 2010

If there are any MT's in the Shreveport/Bossier City, Louisiana area on this board, there are a few local employment agencies, in particular Jean Simpson and Career Adventures that are looking for transcriptionists for positions at physician's offices.  I recently got an in-house position and just want to pass along the news to anyone in this area that may be looking for a position.    ...

Axolotl Transcriptionists
May 26, 2010

I wouIld like to know what your opinion is on M-modal.  Do you like it or not?  Is it helpful to you?  Are you being nit-picked to death about it? ...

This Is Actually The Future For Transcriptionists, Sm
Aug 03, 2010

Go to this website.  Transcriptionists will no longer be needed in the future for transcribing or editing.  One of my friends told me the hospital she retired from is going to this system and their transcription department will eventually no longer exist.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGMEf11GmBo ...

Anyone Know What They Pay The Global Transcriptionists?
Nov 16, 2012

How can they possibly get paid less than us? We get paid peanuts and if it is so lucrative for this company to send stuff offshore just wondering what they pay the indian transcriptionists?  ...

Pathology Transcriptionists Please Help
Mar 13, 2014

I work in the path department and when a malignant case comes up that requires a CAP, I defer to the CAP summary.  The docs dictate "lymphovascular . . ." but the CAP summaries will have "lymph-vascular . . ."   The problem is today I was checking the CAP protocol for the Lung CA and the word was used both ways.  In the actual protocol itself, there was the hyphenated version as a header, i.e., but then in the explanatory notes at the end of the protocol  there' ...