A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Are there any jobs out their for new Medical Transcriptionists? - Aggravated Newbie

Posted: Sep 16, 2010

I've recently graduated with an Associate of Applied Science degree and I received my Certificate in Medical Transcription. I've taken several tests for companies over the Internet but they all say the same thing in response to me, "gain more experience, and then come back to us." How can I gain more experience when no one will hire a newbie? If anyone has any advice on this subject, please let me know.

Just keep testing and testing - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
When I got out of MT school, I applied for 50 jobs before I got hired. I was doing great on the tests, but got the 'no experience' thing. Eventually you will find a company that is looking for enough MTs that they will hire you with no experience.

There are some companies out there that hire newbies but (sm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
they are far and few in between. You just have to keep searching and as another poster stated, just keep testing and testing. Also, read the New MTs board, I have seen other "newbie" MTs post the names of companies that they have found that hire newbies. Make sure that when you do find a company that you research them thoroughly, come here and search the archives, check with the BBB, as there are many companies out there that hire and then never pay.

I wish you the best of luck!

Become an intern for experience. - jeannieb

[ In Reply To ..]
Some hospitals and clinics take interns. Use your school to help you.

Start applying to physical offices - myMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Make up some flyers and start hitting every doctor's office, clinic, surgery center, etc in your area.

Like it or not, grabbing an at-home position with no experience is getting harder and harder as the trend to more stringent quality w/quantity ramps up.

How much training did you receive in voice recognition editing?

How many specialities are you EXPERIENCED in? (I don't mean have done a report or two.)

What kind of actual dictation did you use in your course?

And you are aware, right, that a certificate in medical transcription is not a certified medical transcriptionist?

Keep putting your best foot forward. It may take months, especially in this economic climate, but if you're able to test to back up your claim to skills, you'll eventually find a gig.

Yes, there are jobs out there - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
for newbies who know their grammar and spelling.

new MTs - Viva

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't limit your search to medical trans. Try also corporate and media trans. And enter search terms like editor, proofreader, data entry, typing, medical clerk, medical file.

jobs for new MTs - emily84

[ In Reply To ..]
What you really need is a school that will offer internship. That gives you the experience you need. Best wishes!

Similar Messages:

Patient First Ad For Transcriptionists. Not Sure If There Really Are Jobs.
Nov 07, 2012

Maybe old posting on the internet...not sure, or if all jobs are taken.  Hard time finding the "transcription" postings and then led to a test.  Not that long of a test but then states you did not pass then prompts you to a sign-up for medical terminology classes.  Not sure if this is just a class sign up come on.  If I were going to take a class, it surely would not be in transcription as there are no jobs out there.  We are given other avenues  ...

57 Transcriptionists In New Mexico Lose Jobs To Nuance
Apr 12, 2013

I feel bad for these employees; they will be losing all of their benefits and good pay...   http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/hospital-management-administration/university-of-new-mexico-hospital-lays-off-57.html ...

Nurse Medical Transcriptionists ??
Jun 26, 2011

I came across an ad recently catering to unemployed new registered nurses who need jobs badly. I am understanding that the market for RNs and healthcare in general is saturated and then some; however, this article specifically stated "Nurse Medical Transcriptionists." I saw it on All Nurses forum; I don't remember the company . . . BUT a lot of nurses were responding with interest because they can't get jobs. The only thing that was running through my mind was "you have no idea people ...

Pay Type For Medical Transcriptionists
Jan 25, 2011

Why do medical transcriptionists have to be paid by line.  Who started that?  Why can't they be paid per hour like other jobs?     ...

Union For Medical Transcriptionists
Jul 11, 2011

I know this idea has been tossed around a lot but yet nothing has been done about it (to my knowledge - if someone knows different, please correct me). I am in agreement that we as transcriptionists need to band together so that we don't get treated unfairly and not paid what we are actually worth. I know there are many of us that have chosen medical transcription as our career and are still holding on and sticking through the changes. How do you go about creating a union for transcriptio ...

How Many Canadian Medical Transcriptionists?
Mar 02, 2012

I was just wondering if there are very many Canadian medical transcriptionists who visit this forum. In Canada we are not "certified" i.e. I took a six month course at college and have a certificate, but we do not have a professional organization as such. I wish we did! Sometimes I can find a word here when asking the other girls in the office doesn't come up with any new ideas. ...

Medical Transcriptionists Not Getting Paid
Aug 20, 2012

Please do not work for PreciseMT based out of Nebraska!!  Please forward this e-mail around so no one else falls for this!  This loss of wages has put such a burden on me and my family.  I don't want anyone else to suffer.   http://www.wowt.com/factfinders/headlines/Medical-Workers-Not-Being-Paid-166705406.html ...

Job Outlook For Medical Transcriptionists
Mar 24, 2013

http://bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Medical-transcriptionists.htm ...

Is There Really Any Future For Newbie Medical Transcriptionists...?
Mar 09, 2010

...especially if we aren't perfect right away and someone like me who has had a home medical transcription job since graduating in September and was let go because I wasn't "perfect" in a month?? Plus, even though I studied my ass off, I failed 2 transcription tests for working with 2 medical transcription services. Please don't slander me about this. I know I'm not the only "newbie" graduated MT that has struggled with fitting in the medical transcription world!!!! ...

Group Medical Insurance For Transcriptionists?
Aug 17, 2010

I was wondering if there is group insurance anywhere for those of us who do this full time without benefits?  It seems that with insurance companies and strength in numbers, something should be available.  Anyone have any information on or experience with this?  I am recently certified with a few years experience and am looking to quit my crappy full time job that I am working only for the insurance to do this full time, but am hitting a wall with the insurance dilemma. ...

Newbie-Future Of Medical Transcriptionists?
Apr 28, 2011

I have gone through and read some of your posts.  I see that Andrews School, MTec, and possibly CareerStep are your top notch schools.  Is there still a need for transcriptionists?  I don't want to go out and spend all this money and not be able to find a job. I would like to be able to work from home as well. What are other's thoughts on this subject?  I have seen several that haven't been able to find a job.  I figured it would take me about 8-12 month ...

The Plight Of American Medical Transcriptionists
Sep 20, 2014

If you thought the plight of the American medical transcriptionists would be heard on a national level, what would you say? Would your biggest complaint be the pay cut? The offshoring of medical records? The emotional abuse we have all endured? All of the above? If we truly thought our voices would be heard, what would we say? Thank you in advance for your responses. ...

Medical Jobs Online Posting On Jobs Board
Dec 09, 2013

Kind of wondering if this last job posting on the jobs board might be associated with one of those "you pay us to find you a job" type of organization.  I googled Medical Jobs Online and found nothing stating that are a legitimate MTSO :( ...

MTStars A Community Of US Medical Transcriptionists And Their Companies Who Worry About What Is Bein
May 21, 2013

My point having been made in 2 short weeks, I will no longer be hanging out on this board.  Nuance, in its attempts to hide its egregious activities with certain employees, has infiltrated this board and it is no longer truly a community of US medical transcriptionists, but has become what could more aptly be called, "A company opportunity to do damage control for all POTENTIAL new employees about what the former employees said when they quit."  The board can, however, still ser ...

Medical Transcription Jobs
Aug 12, 2013

Does anyone know of any companies out there that are hiring IC MTs?  My one company is very slow and am looking for supplemental work. Thanks so much.  ...

Get Medical Transcription Jobs Now .com
Dec 11, 2013

I have tried to click on the jobs on this web site to apply to them and when I click on the "Apply Now" it does not take me to the site. Does anyone know the answer to why this happens? I did not get the impression it is something you have to pay to belong to. Thanks for your help. ...

Medical EFiling Jobs????
Oct 29, 2014

Hello,   Just wondering if anyone works from home doing medical eFiling? If so, what company do you work for and are there any open position? Thanks!! ...

Remote Medical Jobs Company
May 07, 2010

Has anyone ever heard of a company called Remote Medical Jobs? I've seen several medical transcriptionist job postings by this company over the past several months.  ...

Coding/Medical Billing Jobs?
May 05, 2012

How plentiful are the jobs for coders and medical billers? Currently I am an MT but looking into other career options. Thanks! ...

Anyone Have Any Information On Medical Abstractor Jobs?
Jan 02, 2013

I would be interested in hearing about the type of work involved in this field and any other information one might have regarding it.  The type of duties involved, pay, benefits... TIA ...

Medical Transcription Jobs Scams?
May 18, 2013

Does anyone know of medical transcription jobs scams?   Offering jobs, no contracts, HIPPA or other documentation required or at least not initially.....want SS# but does not need a 1099 signed?  six hour time difference...just checking if anyone knows or has experienced? ...

Jobs Based On Medical Insurance
May 12, 2015

If I'm naive about this, I'll apologize up-front but... Perhaps a better alternative to searching for an MT position with a company for the basic right (need) to have medical insurance would be to sign up for Affordable Care Act? Get an IC position with more flexibility, less stress from being over-supervised, and make premium payments out of that income? Seems sad and unnecessary to struggle just to find contentment in a job where medical insurance is the primary reason for putting ...

Medical Coding - How To Search For Jobs At Home
Jul 21, 2010

Hello, I am a MT and wanted to also do coding, could you please tell me how to search for jobs at home once I am done with school ??  Does anybody have a board for coder jobs thanks so much ...

Oticed A Lot Of Medical Assistant Jobs Looking For EMR Experience
Oct 31, 2012

looks like there may be a place for us MTs to go once MT dies out completely ...

Question: Are Medical Records Clerk Jobs
Mar 17, 2014

I saw one advertised I was interested in, but wondered if the EMR is going to do away with that position, as well.  Thanks for any info! ...

Will More People With Health Insurance = More Medical Coding And Billing Jobs?
Jun 29, 2012

The people I know who will now be getting medical insurance will obviously now go to the doctor when they get sick. It makes sense to me that there will be more coding and more billing, right? That's a good thing for us I think. ...

Hearing About New Jobs As "medical Scribes."
Aug 13, 2011

I haven't seen any positions in my city and my junior college has nothing on it so far.  Anybody more informed on this??? ...

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

Transcriptionists With ADD.... I Think Im One Of Them!
Feb 10, 2010

make a living being an MT?  In addition to how low our pay has gotten, and the myriad other problems that we all deal with, if you can't focus, do you think that is cutting into your finances as well? I've always had a suspicion that I have ADD.  Was a totally hyper kid.  Daydreamer in school.  High IQ (148), labelled as "gifted" in 1st Grade, yet with each passing year did less and less well in school.  Looked out the window and zoned out more than I paid att ...

When There Are No More US Transcriptionists...
Aug 19, 2013

M*Modal will call the shots.  No doubt they'll start jacking up prices to the clients then.  That's the way it usually works. Should only take a few more years.  Save a bit now, spend a lot more down the road.  Lol.  Shortsighted fools. ...