A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What are we qualified to do? - life after transcription

Posted: Jun 16, 2013

Aside from furthering our education and becoming coders or something to that effect, is there ANYTHING with a livable wage that we are qualified to do after years of transcription experience? Every ad I see for administrative positions requires payroll/bookkeeping experience. I'm the queen of medical terminology and can type like a demon but is it good for ANYTHING??? My job is going to VR in the next month or so. I've been a transcriptionist over 10 years and one girl in our office has been here over 20 years. With that type of longevity and skills we should be good for something besides flipping burgers, right? Or am I wrong? LOL (I'm laughing to keep from crying).

nothing - theres the rub

[ In Reply To ..]
we are experts at a specialty that is no longer in demand. It translates into nothing! There's really nothing we can just move into without learning at least a few new skills.

Some ideas - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Appointment scheduling, reception, library assistant, any number of jobs in medical records (outside of coding), unit secretary, medical scribe just to name a few. Your years of experience and medical background do translate into something; yes, you will have to learn a few new skills. Try temping for a while if you have to, that is a good way to get trained on the job.

But.... - Hungry

[ In Reply To ..]
None of those jobs pay enough to buy groceries much less pay daycare, keep the utilities going, car notes, etc.
Umm, yes they do. - anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
I know several women, single mothers amongst them who live just fine on their salaries as a unit secretary and librarian assistant, just to name 2. Perhaps it's not so much the problem of the salary, but your expenditures.
Not here - Still Hungry
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad your acquaintances can make it work but where I live those positions pay either minimum wage or just barely over it. I don't have to explain my "expenditures" but I can assure you they are minimal--utilities, food and car note/insurance. No fun. No hair appointments anymore (yes, it looks like crap these days). Unfortunately none of those positions would even cover the monthly bills in podunkville here....I do like the idea of the postal job below. Hadn't thought of that.
FYI - anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
Just because you start at minimum wage doesn't mean you'll stay there forever. Plus, they may hire you on at a higher rate based on whatever experience or knowledge you have.

I guess I don't understand the "why bother trying" mentality.
good for you, some of us cant.. - FormerMeridianer
[ In Reply To ..]
afford to live temporarily on minimum wage and wait out the gamble that we might make more in a few years. Our pay now has already been markedly reduced, we're living hand to mouth at this point. So glad you're in a better place and can live on minimum for a while and still pay all your monthly bills comfortably. For the rest of us, that is NOT reality.
Unit secretaries make pretty good money here. But you have to be credentialed - - either a CMA or CNA usually.
[ In Reply To ..]
The program for both of those at your local community college is inexpensive and in the case of my local CC, its a semester for a CNA and 2 semesters for a CMA. Here, a CMA will be in the outpatient setting and make less money and the certified nurse's assistant will work inpatient and make more money. You get pretty good bang for your buck fusing your MT experience with a nurse's assistant. Its quick and honestly, at least in California, unit secretaries make decent money.
Another suggestion - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Housekeeping/home and elderly care pays well. I pay my housekeeper $20.00/hour, which is the going rate in these parts. None of it is really tough cleaning, as I am a "neatnik" by nature. I have the carpets and windows done by a company that specializes in that, so she does not have to do that. There are several women (and a few men) in our community who do this and at $20 bucks an hour, they do quite well.
I cannot even pay my own bills on what - I am making now...so how
[ In Reply To ..]
could I possibly pay a housekeeper too. Besides, I could USE a housekeeper, not become one. How demeaning. Waste of education and skill to run a vacuum and mop somebody else's floors. I can barely do my own, I am so old.
Wow - The real problem
[ In Reply To ..]
becomes clear now.

You're too good for the jobs you could do, even though they pay well. You're not qualified for the jobs you think you should have, but you do not want to acquire the training necessary to become qualified for the jobs you think you should have.

If you're so poor you can't pay your bills, it's pretty arrogant to declare a perfectly respectable (and fairly well-paying) job as a housekeeper to be "demeaning."

I haven't seen any want ads for spoiled princess lately, but that might be something to look into.
If I could like this post more, I would - anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Let's also not forget the people who turned various housecleaning and junk-hauling enterprises into million dollar businesses. I highly doubt they feel demeaned. A lot of them have college degrees, too. More often than not, all it takes to turn one's life around is a little bit of effort. It's sad, really, how many are blind to that.
When a person is nearing 65 years old - and having already spent
[ In Reply To ..]
thousands of dollars and many years honing their expertise in this career, and losing whatever self-respect they have left due to the happenings with this industry today, and with belittling from people like you, and just being plain old tired and wanting to RETIRE, why should one spend more thousands of dollars to do a job that takes no skills whatsoever except how to push a broom around, to do something that is so beneath the brain skills one has acquired over the years? One does not care how many others have taken junk-hauling enterprises or housecleaning enterprises into million dollar businesses. One is only concerned with how one can get through one more demeaning day into the next without someone telling them they are lazy or a "princess" because they have worked their entire lives already and deserve to not have to take a less than one deserves job just to make it through the rest of their life. To have a 35 year old uppity up stand in judgment of how another lives their lives or chooses to live their life is just plain rude. Not everybody's situation is the same as yours, so don't call someone a "princess" just because they choose not to want to start a million dollar business by mopping someone else's floors. Have a nice day.
Thanks for the invite - anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
But I refuse to join your pity party. Btw-- I didn't call you a princess, but I do hereby anoint you Queen of Excuses.
just wait till you're 65 and - show a little respect for your elders please nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Respect for elders - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Where did you get the impression that the person who suggested housekeeping was 35? Some of my MT friends, when we found out we were going to be laid off, actually discussed the possibility of doing housekeeping and it does pay well. FYI, I'm old and tired too, but when faced with the choice of starvation and having a roof over my head I got another job. I'm almost 59 so don't give me that "I'm too old" excuse. It is a clerical, health care (HIM) related job and pays well over minimum wage. I'm in the middle of the pay scale and can work my way up the ladder. I also did MT all my life and if I found something else, so can you. Snow Bunny also did it, and I'm assuming that we're all of a certain age. If you didn't want suggestions about things that you could do, you should not have asked.
Entry level postal jobs pay 4 times what MEs are currently earning. (sm) - Rose
[ In Reply To ..]
If you have a second income in the home or child support that should be an overall improvement financially. No education is required, not even a HS diploma. They do all the training.
LOL yeah good luck getting a postal job - FormerMeridianer
[ In Reply To ..]
do you have any CLUE how "easy" it is to land a postal job? apparently not. thanks for the laugh though.
I realize it isn't easy to land any job with negative attitude. :o) - Rose
[ In Reply To ..]
a realistic attitude is better than head-in-the-clouds - FormerMeridianer
[ In Reply To ..]
clouds, or arse, you seem to have your head wedged firmly in both
You say my "head in clouds or up arse" by leaving MT to make more money? (sm) - Rose
[ In Reply To ..]
THAT is reality. Perhaps it makes you feel better to make snide remarks to helpful posts because you are stuck where the sun don't shine.
how does it smell up there Rose? (nm) - FormerMeridianer
[ In Reply To ..]
really... lol
exactly. postal jobs being - phased out as much as MT
[ In Reply To ..]
due to email and instant messaging programs. Just closed three postal offices in my area in the last six months. The ones that are left, are doing twice the work. Services being cut, like Saturday delivery, etc. They won't be hiring any time soon.
Entry level postal jobs pay what? - 4 times? DOUBT THAT!
[ In Reply To ..]
I average 15 an hour as a medical editor. Are you telling me that a postal employee makes $60 an hour?

Yeah... sure.

yeah....it translates to $8 an hour - nothing more

[ In Reply To ..]
nm.
$12 hr with full benefits. - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Are you talking about temping? - If so, for what temp agency?
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks!
No, this is F/T with postal service. (sm) - Rose
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorters, delivery, and more.

beg to differ - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
I found my current position as a UM Assistant because I had 2 key skills: prior customer service and knowledge of medical terminology.

What is a UM Assistant? Thanks SnowBunny. - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
I have tons of other experience but am very old. Few replies to resumes.

Why not - learn

[ In Reply To ..]
to do something new, something that is in demand and that will pay well? Why would you believe that you have only one shot at acquiring skills? You had to acquire your transcription skills. Why would you not expect to acquire new skills if you need to find a new profession? I don't understand that thought process. Just because you learned to be a transcriptionist doesn't mean that's all you will ever be able to learn to do. You can learn something new that will provide opportunities in the current marketplace.

Why not - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't understand the thought process either. As MTs, we should have been learning other skills anyway. I mentioned those jobs because it sounded as if you didn't want to train for something else or learn anything else. People are always saying that MT doesn't pay the bills so you have nothing to lose by taking an entry level job, at least you'd have a chance to work your way up the ladder or go to school while you are working. I am really close to retirement, so when MT ended for me I was happy to move into a health information (medical records)position that pays the bills but I also studied coding. It's difficult, but unfortunately people are not handing out jobs these days. You are either going to need to re-train or settle for a low paying job.

because some of us are over 60 and - too old to go back to school

[ In Reply To ..]
for another 4 years, just in time to retire, and for which nobody will hire us anyway, because of our age....that's why.
Not everything - takes four years
[ In Reply To ..]
to learn. But, you're probably right that it is much easier to declare yourself too old, too whatever to make the effort to better your life. Much easier to blame "them" or "the system" or something else than actually get up and take charge of your future. Not a problem, though, because that just leaves more opportunities for the rest of us who are your age and did get out and learn something new and get new jobs.

A lot of employers are eager to hire older workers. They've had their fill of irresponsible, ignorant, ill-mannered young people and recognize the soft skills and social skills that mature people bring to the table. There are opportunities for us in the wider economy. We just need to get out and take advantage of them.

You can watch us from the couch if you want, but that doesn't sound like it's a very good financial plan.
Too Old? - Sue
[ In Reply To ..]
I am 55 years old and in my second on line college course. I graduated this past December from the MT course and am now taking Medical coding and billing. My friend, who is 62 years old, is taking a course on Law Enforcement. You are never too old. Think of it this way, how old will you be in a year? The same age you would be if you did take a course. :)
easy to say - but who is gonna hire you?
[ In Reply To ..]
check back with us and let us know who is hiring 62 year old law enforcers.
There are lots of - jobs
[ In Reply To ..]
in law enforcement that don't actually involve chasing down or apprehending criminals. There are many jobs in many areas where maturity, good judgment, and good people skills are much in demand. Of course, it is much easier to whine and complain than to get up and make the effort to get one of the many jobs where older workers are welcome. Let us know how that works out for you.
you can call it whining and complaining if you want to - I call it reality
[ In Reply To ..]
I doubt I could even get an inhouse job as an MT at this point (age 55). People find all kinds of ways to age discriminate. Why should they hire someone who will be retiring in 3 years? but more power to you.
those who have never had their age - discriminated against
[ In Reply To ..]
would have no knowledge and understanding of how much it is being done and how it feels. Perhaps in their areas of where they are living that is not happening, but here, it is on a daily basis. and besides that...to go back to school and living expenses costs money, and how does one propose to do both?? Heads in clouds.
Great post - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
And professionalism. I also had an MT contact me for a position, where she stated she was over 60 and could not find a job. I felt so bad for her that I hired her on the spot and expressed to her I did not care how old she was but only if she was reliable and qualified, which she assured me she was, but then never showed up for work. My dictators speak the clearest English on a clear phone that you can image. Go figure.
What is your friend taking in LE? - Rose
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a background in LE. Is it crime scene investigation/processing? I'd love to get back into LE but too old to be hired as a cop now. Cut off is age 35.
My personal opinion - is that
[ In Reply To ..]
I would rather go down fighting than curl up and die.
says who? - Snow Bunny (the original)
[ In Reply To ..]
I'll be 60 this year and I found a position, so my age wasn't a factor. It depends upon the company itself.

What does MT need that would also be beneficial to other companies? Attention to detail comes to mind immediately. Ability to multitask. You're tenacious. Excellent listening skills. Prioritizing jobs. Can work independently or as part of a team. --- These are "core skills" that you've probably got already, or you could never have done this job.

My suggestion ... if you don't know Excel, start to learn it. If you know it, get proficient. You want to be at a level that you can do pivot tables. I saw MANY jobs that required that skill.
Too old? - EJ
[ In Reply To ..]
For what it's worth, I understand your feelings, and you are in a negative state of mind right now. It's time to just sit back and take stock. Take a mental vacation. What would you like to do? I am 71 years old and still working, although I am currently looking for a job - not necessarily transcription. But don't say you're too old to learn anything new. I graduated from university at the age of 70, and was not even the oldest in my class. Perhaps we are too old in the eyes of most people, but they are wrong! Life, learning and making a contribution to society should never end. If I have to go back to school to learn something new, and I have the means to pay for it, I'm going!
Another awesome post! - anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
Congratulations to you! You have wonderful spirit and are a great inspiration!
rah! rah! - do not believe a word of it
[ In Reply To ..]
not one word.
Too old? - Telluride
[ In Reply To ..]
I love your reply! I am 66 and certainly not ready to give up. There are many jobs where age restrictions are downright illegal, so what's to keep us from moving into a new vocation? Bravo to you for going back to school at your age! Us old timers have loads to offer. We can make the medical healthcare system better... or we can contribute to making this world a better place through another work arena. Lamenting won't move us forward ladies. Take that energy and make it into something positive. You can do it!

From one minority... (sm) - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Following a brain injury and loss of part of my brain, it takes me forever to learn technical data and it's very difficult to retain. So, some of us really don't have the ability to go back to school.

I signed up for a civil service exam - at my local county

[ In Reply To ..]
office for a typist position. I had to take a typing test and pass a written test, which was not difficult at all. I have been put on a canvass list. Any job I get will pay much more than minimum wage and great benefits. Your best skill is typing - check into it at your county complex.

darn - cant find in my county

[ In Reply To ..]
this sounded good and I looked but didn't see anything in my county or the next one.

maybe depends on what state - but keep looking

[ In Reply To ..]
Did you try calling your local county office? Try googling civil service examination in (insert county and state) and see what info pops up. Go to your county's website and look under the job listings, fill out an application. It should tell you what exam if any you need to pass in order to get the jobs. Take it one step further and check out your state government listings. There should be a ton of info out there. Best wishes!

What I Am Doing - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
I am 59 yrs old. I have chosen to get out of MT but not to go back to school in a huge way.

Most of the non-MT jobs in our paper require either medical office software knowledge if we want to work in a medical office, or Microsoft Office experience (n particular, Excel) if we want to work outside a medical office.

I chose to take an affordable class at our local community center in the entire Microsoft Office programs so I can at least just do some sort of clerical work that is non-medical related.

Some people my age are wanting to go for a serious credential or a degree, which is fine, but I am winding down, not winding up. Just want to get by is all.

Microsoft Office is where's it at now. (sm) - Bindi

[ In Reply To ..]
My experience has been that 99% of employers for clerical positions require this. You're smart to equip yourself this way.

yes, there are jobs - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
But you may have to stop using "adminstrative" in your search criteria. Try substituting "medical records" or "medical terminology" in the search box. You also need to have sufficient job links to find positions. Another idea is going to a temp agency, if for nothing more than getting your foot in the door of something outside of MT.

Finally, please be sure to use this link for designing your resume: www.preptel.com

As I said before, companies are utilizing software which can read your resume and if it doesn't find the "key words" strategically placed, your resume will hit the trash and never reach anyone's desk.

I felt the same exact way two years ago ... - MTChick

[ In Reply To ..]
After reading on these boards for so long about how MT was dying, I had a couple of slow weeks in a row and I panicked. I went on the web sites of my local hospitals and was lucky enough to land a job in-house as a health unit coordinator (unit clerk, unit secretary, you get the idea). The pay started out at $16.50/hour and when you add in weekend/evening/holiday shift differentials, I bring in well over $20/hour. Not as great as MT in its heyday, but when you figure in the full benefits and vacation, its a pretty sweet deal. But guess what - my MT gig has never gone away. Yes I have lost accounts here and there, but I have always been able to find something else within a week or two. And when I do have a slow week MTing, I can pick up hours at the hospital. I do think it is silly to have all of your eggs in the MT basket, but go to your local hospitals/clinics and scour the job listings. Something will appeal to you. I personally loved going back to work in a real hospital with real co-workers and real patients!

I keep trying - but never get a reply

[ In Reply To ..]
well, alright, I've gotten a few replies, but then I bomb on the interview.

IMO, Epic is not that bad. - Lorawi

[ In Reply To ..]
Our hospital system (2 hospitals, 2 imaging centers, and MULTIPLE physician's offices and medical clinics) are using Epic. As a 37 year radiology transcriptionist, I was fearful of being forced out due to lack of work, but it's the opposite. We are almost always busy. Sure, there are some of my rads who self-edit, but the majority don't and it takes longer to edit those than to transcribe them from dictation. I am paid by the hour, whether I am busy editing or not.

What can we do? - Telluride

[ In Reply To ..]
There are lots of things we can do with the skills we have. Those of us who will survive financially and vocationally are those of use who are willing to think outside the box and be capable of re-creating ourselves. For example, with the advent of EMR, there will be quality control personnel needed to assure that charts are being assembled correctly. The new Obamacare will require navigators to help patients with insurance issues. The medical system is basically broken, and there will be a need for patient advocates. Ladies, we can be part of the solution for this broken system! Many of these positions do not require further or immediate education. I am 66, have been in the medical transcription industry for 45 years, and I sure am not throwing in the towel. I have too much to offer the medical field, and so do you! You have a choice - give up or move forward into the future. I say go for it!

rah! rah! rah! - sis boom bah!

[ In Reply To ..]
glad you are not too tired, old, drained, and demeaned by your present arena, not to mention broke, to consider giving up all you have learned, paid to learn, and years of being a slave to some of these companies, to look forward to the rest of your life. Some of us have been so brow beaten that we have no energy left to pursue something.... at this age... to stick around for 20 more years of being brow beaten. Call it negativity if you want, but after having a gullet full of it for most of my life, I want some peace, quiet, and contentment in my life without having to cow down to someone else's whims and ideas of what MY life should be like. rah rah to somebody else. I have had enough!

Too old? - Telluride

[ In Reply To ..]
All I can say is that, having been in this industry 40+ years, I have seen it all. I have had recent times of not knowing if I could pay my bills. I have worked for oppressive, abusive supervisors. I have run out of work like everybody else. The writing is on the wall. Go down with the Titanic or float a new boat.

So what is your plan? - what are you doing

[ In Reply To ..]
to achieve your goal, to get what you say you want?

No one is going to hand you anything on a platter. You are going to have to do something. Admitting defeat and blaming "the system" doesn't seem like it would be a particularly successful strategy.
it's called retirement - not the OP
[ In Reply To ..]
At 66 she has every right to pursue Social Security and retirement, and I hope she has a little nest egg somewhere to supplement it. Best of luck to the OP. Not everyone wants to work until the day they die.

Similar Messages:

Shortage Of Qualified MTs?
Jul 01, 2010

The following is on page 13 of Medquist's 1st quarter filing to the SEC.  Apparently by "qualified" they mean willing to work for peanuts and take all the abuse they dish out.  Usually when there is a shortage of workers in a particular industry, it drives wages up.  Funny how it doesn't work that way in MT. Significant developments in the clinical documentation industry include: A shortage of qualified domestic medical transcriptionists (MTs) and medical editors (ME ...

Qualified For Auditing
Mar 31, 2010

Since Audits are affecting us so deeply at this point and possibly costing us our livelihood, I began to wonder WHO is doing the auditing?  We have lost most of the decent QA people (or will as of tomorrow when nothing will be routed to QA anymore).  I know that several of the CTLs, CCMs or whatever the acronym of the hour is currently called, have been morons and sent out E-mails filled with grammatical and punctuation errors, and some have not even been MTs before.  Shouldn ...

Qualified Text?
May 06, 2010

Does anybody work for a company that pays less for something called "qualified text" or in other words pays less for templates, like 10 cpl for transcription but only 5 cpl for the template lines?  Were you with them when they paid full rate for those lines?  I am trying to find out how much impact (perhaps percentage) this has on the bottom line - a paycheck.  The company I work for is going to start doing this and I am wondering how much it is going to hurt.  Obviously it w ...

Qualified Text
Mar 09, 2015

How much are we paid for qualified text, and where do you see that?  Is it in webclock or on our pay stubs? ...

I Actually Qualified For First Quarter Bonus At 100%
May 22, 2013

Unbelievable! I actually qualified for first quarter bonus at 100%. If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would not believe that anybody ever qualified for it. I am in total shock. Unbelievable but happy. It is possible. I didn't think it was.  Did anybody else get it this week? I thought I had read here about a month ago that some people had gotten their bonus, so I thought I had missed the boat.  ...

Shortage Of Qualified Transcriptionists
Mar 07, 2014

When I contacted my representative about Amnerican transcription jobs being outsourced, my rep said there was a shortage of qualified transcriptionists in the United States.  Do you suppose he got his information from the money mongers who justify their greed by filling our repesentatives' heads full of this bull.  There are plenty of qualified transcriptionists in the US; the MTSOs just do not want to pay for quality.  It is about money Mr. misinformed senator!!! ...

MTSO Using Qualified Text....does It Impact (sm)
Dec 25, 2010

the amount of your paycheck very much?  I wasn't sure if I should even apply to a MTSO that uses this. ...

Bringing The Qualified Text (QT) Subject Over Here.
Jan 14, 2012

I am under the impression that QT is canned text that we bring into the report and add text at certain spots when the dictator specifies? I used to do a lot of ophthalmology reports. Surgeon would say: Please insert my normal phacoemulsification with IOL implant. Then they would dictate which eye, how many diopters, model and size of lens, etc. Does QT also sometimes just show up on the report that comes up and then we just add what is dictated? How long does it take to bring in the QT? Than ...

Smartronix Limited, Got An Email Saying I Qualified For A Job
Aug 19, 2013

for job interview.  The internet says  there are scams out there for this type of thing.  Anyone hear of this company?  The job is posted on another board.  ...

Well, Guess Verbatim Is Out The Window, Qualified Or Not.
Mar 30, 2014

If whatever the doctor said is a little wonky, doesn't make sense or is a bad sentence, you can and will get dinged for typing what the doctor says. Told to leave a blank so you won't get dinged. ...

Question About Nuance Policy On Qualified (template) Lines
Dec 03, 2014

I was originally with one of the ambulatory groups that came through the back door of Nuance.  Our old ways of doing things have slowly been phased out since Nuance acquired us.  Currently I get 8.5 cpl for standard lines and 1 cpl for qualified (template) lines.  I haven't gotten the email about the video yet, but I've been reading on here about the new 7 cpl rate. What about template lines? Does Nuance pay for template lines? Thanks...  ...

I Hate "qualified Verbatim" So Much.
Mar 27, 2014

Particularly I never know what to do about headings.  If they never dictate headings, it is no problem - I do not put them in.  But if they dictate no headings, until all of a sudden towards the end of the report, they dictate one random heading, then it makes the rest of the report look stupid without headings. Would you put in headings for continuity in the rest of the report, or leave it looking stupid with, eg, one single heading i ...