A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has outsourcing affected your line of work? Tell us about it - from huffpo

Posted: Aug 26, 2011

From an article in Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/24/-hotel-labor-living-wage-outsourcing-indianapolis_n_934667.html?ir=Politics

This is an article about the outsourcing of hotel maids and staff. It is a bit different than our industry, but some similarities are striking: "In some cases, the housekeepers are expected to clean roughly twice as many rooms as they were just a few years ago, often working off the clock to meet their quota and avoid being disciplined. As the cost of living has climbed, they find themselves worse off than they were a decade ago."

In the middle of the article is this: Has outsourcing affected your line of work? Tell us about it email dave.jamieson@huffingtonpost.com. Please include your name and phone number if you are willing to do an interview.

I would love to, but my company has only recently been "eaten" by a bigger one that outsources, and so far nothing is different. Also, I have  not been doing MT very long so do not know how it has changed since these big companies with workers in India and elsewhere have taken over. If anyone has firsthand experience of the changes in our industry from outsourcing and the potential dangers, it would be great to get our story in a forum like this to get the public thinking about where their medical records are going and where our jobs are going.

outsourcing - oldtimeMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much. I will definitely email him and hopefully we can bring attention to our situation. Lets all bombard him with emails so that he will have no choice to talk to us.

Just a clarification - Ayn

[ In Reply To ..]
If you work for a transcription service - you are working for the company that takes in the outsourcing - NOT losing your job to outsourcing. Outsourcing is when the work is sent outside the company - i.e., the hospital sends the work outside (to a transcription company) rather than have it's own transcription department.

We are losing our jobs to OFFSHORING.

Not saying it's not a serious problem threatening our jobs, but probably ought to have your terminology correct before you try to converse with the media.

With all due respect - I think the gist of it is

[ In Reply To ..]
That I think/hope the reporter is looking for displaced/disadvantaged workers period, reasons for it and how it has affected workers.

If you have worked in a hospital and your job got OUTSOURCED by one of these MTSOs, then that is of interest to our profession, as it has changed it. If your job has been OFFSHORED by one of these companies, making it more difficult to get good working conditions that is also of interest, as it has changed our profession.

I cannot think of one thing that has changed it for the better, although the CEOs of the MTSOs might differ with that evaluation.

I am hoping the reporter was not specifically seeking one or the other, just looking at how people's jobs and working conditions have changed with basically what seems like deregulation, also I think there are MTs who have had to deal with outsourcing every time a hospital decides to do away with in-house staff and/or makes them accept the conditions of the MTSO, as well as the offshoring.
I understood the gist of it - Ayn
[ In Reply To ..]
My point is that MTs working for a service are in the middle of it -- taking jobs from hospital transcription departments but losing jobs to offshoring. (Maybe this is just my perspective because I work for a hospital and constantly have that threat hung over my head that we need to "keep it up" or they could decide to outsource...)

One could argue that the whole mess started years ago when the hospitals started outsourcing as things seem to have gone downhill ever since. MTs are now forced to work for the services and lose pay, OT, vacation pay, and other bennies.

Not saying anyone shouldn't speak up about how offshoring has hurt us - we need to speak up about it, and loudly. I just get frustrated when folks use the word "outsourcing" incorrectly.
He is actually asking for outsourcing victims so - maybe you would be a good responder?
[ In Reply To ..]
Since the article is actually about outsourcing, not offshoring, the threat of one of these MTSOs coming in and either doing you out of a job or forcing the MTSO "piece work" working conditions on what I would imagine is an hourly rate job, I would think your opinion on this matter would be very valuable.
The only reason I work for an MTSO is because I - cant find an inhouse hospital job.
[ In Reply To ..]
At least not yet, but have been looking for 2 years. Still, I have no intention of stopping my search. Every year, my New Year's resolution isto escape the clutches of the evil, nationwide MTSO, and somewhere, somehow, get a REAL job again. One that actually pays money, not peanuts and empty promises.
Offshoring is a form of broader scope outsourcing. It is just outsourcing - on global scale, and
[ In Reply To ..]
in many ways has had even more profound negative impacts, not only on individual jobs, but on the profession as a whole, than the preliminary outsourcing that occurred in the mid 80s ever did. By that time, I had already been in the profession for 13 years so for me, it has been having visceral impacts ever since, starting with a complete loss of benefits that took nearly 10 years to be restored by nascent MTSOs, only to be taken way (or at least, greatly diminished) AGAIN with the advent of offshoring...not to mention how it has decimated pay, created unnecessary and highly stressful working conditions, undermined job security, etc. Worthy of mention would be the compromised HIPPA regs and confidentiality concerns.

This is no time to split hairs over semantics. I welcome the chance to sound off, will be giving huffpo an earful and let them determine if that story fits their agenda or not. It's worth a shot when you got nothing left to lose....unemployed here since Nov 2009 and still counting, since I can no longer make a living wage or "do without" benes after more than 30 years of working my fingers to the bone. Impact? You betcha. Textbook case.

Has your pay per line gone down? Then you HAVE - been directly affected by offshoring. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
X

AND outsourcing, as well. If you lost your hospital - job & work for an MTSO, your - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
now likely far-lower income is a direct result of outsourcing, even if you're the one doing the work that's being outsourced. Why? Because the hospital wanted to cut costs, MTSO offered them a bargain-basement price for transcription, and to afford to sell themselves so cheaply, guess who has to eat the difference? The transcriptionist.

Similar Messages:

How Has The POD Affected Your Line Count?
Dec 17, 2014

What was your line count before, and now with the POD?  Is it all VR?  How much ST? Another question.  What tier are you?  Are all 3 tiers on the PODS?  If so, how does that work?  ...

SPHERIS - MT AFFECTED?
Feb 19, 2010

Can any one shed light on whether Spheris MT and Editors are let go because of their fire sale to MedQuist? Are they losing any accounts? Which ones? Help please. ...

Affected Or Effected?
Oct 27, 2010

Lying on the affected or (effected) side.  Is there a simple little rule about this I need to know?  Thanks ...

Affected Vs Effected
Sep 18, 2014

D:  the chin itself will very likely not be dramatically affected by the face lift.   Maybe decaf coffee isn't a good idea after all.  Should this be affected or effected?? ...

I'm Wondering How The First Time Right Has Affected You. Sm
Sep 19, 2011

I've spent most of my day reading MQ policies, etc., and finding a lot of it hard to take in.  Seems like MTs are being punished.  I am anticipating feeling extreme stress with every report I transcribe.  I'm trying to have a positive attitude but it is hard.  Anything good to hear right now would be welcoming...... This is my second round with MQ and I'm surprised just how many changes and not so sure they are good changes.  Anything good to hea ...

Hurricane Sandy.... Think Our Work Will Be Affected By Her?
Oct 29, 2012

I work out of CT so I bet it will be slow this week. ...

I Will Keep Posting This Info Until Every Affected MT Sees It
Nov 19, 2014

If you work on Veterans Administration (VA) accounts, you MUST be classified as an employee and earn the appropriate wage determination rate (in the neighborhood of $14 to $20-plus an hour depending on county).  In addition, you must have a separate hourly rate of pay that is applied towards a benefits package. If you are doing this kind of work and are not properly classified or you are not being paid what you're supposed to be paid, REPORT YOUR MTSO TO THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR.   ...

Can Someone Give Me An Idea Of How My Pay Will Be Affected Going From Straight Transcripton To VR
Mar 12, 2013

I just got hired onto an account that is both VR and straight transcription.  I've never done VR before and I'm a bit concerned about how it's going to affect my pay.  Can anyone give me their experience on this?  Looking at 0.04 cpl is daunting, because I type REALLY fast and I feel like I could almost straight type it for 0.08 cpl in the time it will take me to edit it.  For those of you who have experience with it, how did you feel as far as the income you w ...

Please - Outsourcing
Aug 08, 2013

If it wasn't for outsourcing, we wouldn't have jobs. The hospitals are outsourcing to us. There is a difference between "outsourcing" and "offshoring." ...

Outsourcing Backlash
Nov 02, 2009

Medical transcription is not the only thing being outsourced.....Lots of info to Google re Boston Hyatt Hotels replacing long time housekeeping staff with people the staff trained.  It seems that everying, from the governor's office down, is outraged and want the housekeepers reinstated.  Hospitality Staffing Solutions are paying the new workers $8 per hour and no benefits.  The original housekeepers were making $14-20/hour with benefits and pension.   ...

Outsourcing Fiasco -
Nov 24, 2009

Click on link.  UK patient medical records end up on black market. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1221186/Private-medical-records-sale-Harley-Street-clinic-patients-files-outsourced-input--end-black-market.html#ixzz0UVTq0qNI ...

DSG/MedQuist/Outsourcing
Jan 24, 2010

Can anyone tell me how closely affiliated DSG and MedQuist are, and if DSG outsources to India?  We all know MQ outsources, but I'm having trouble getting information. Thinking about working for DSG, but I don't want to go anywhere that has any affiliation whatsoever with MQ.  I've heard DSG uses MQ's software, just wondering how far they are in cahoots with the Q on other things, like outsourcing to India. ...

Outsourcing To India
Jun 15, 2010

On numerous occasions over the past year I was told by my CCM that the reason they are outsourcing to India is because there is a shortage of qualified MTs because the average age of an MT is 55 and they are starting to retired.  Like the infamous ***** and is ridiculous claim about 650 lph on ASR, that MTs have an IQ of about 6.    ***** Do not name/identify individuals.  Moderator ***** ...

NEW NBC SHOW ABOUT OUTSOURCING
Aug 31, 2010

I JUST WANT TO VENT.  I don't remember the exact name of this new NBC show making a comedy out of outsourcing - but I think we all need to find out who or where to write and tell them OUTSOURCING OVERSEAS IS NOT FUNNY!!  From what I gather from the ads the jobs go to India (I believe) and it's supposed to be so funny.  It's not freakin amusing in the least.  We aren't the only industry who have been royaly SCREWED by big companies.  T ...

OSi (Outsourcing Solutions, Inc)
Oct 12, 2010

Anyone heard about or work for OSi (Outsourcing Solutions, Inc)?  Any info would be appreciated! ...

Hospitals/outsourcing
Oct 15, 2010

Currently, I have a FT job w/a very large hospital, actually multiple hospitals combined.  We all once worked in the office; however, they sent us all home to work.  There are about 130 hospital transcriptionists.  We also outsource a lot of work to a large company.  There have been so, so many changes - everything from new management, VR, pay for production.....Communication amongst co-workers has disappeared.  Management doesn't respond.  I'm really wond ...

Ever Wonder What Clients Would Think About Doing Their Own Outsourcing?
Oct 26, 2010

Just thinking out loud here.  I know many practices probably do their own outsourcing to MTs at home. Why not more?  It must be cheaper for them with higher quality work, personalized service, etc.  Some hospitals even hire MTs to work from home rather than use an MTSO. How can we, as the MT community, reach more clients/practices.  Surely they have a liason in the office who handles the direction of their transcribed reports, in-house editing; someone who could do ...

Outsourcing Overseas
May 10, 2012

I just saw a comercial on TV last night that says Mitt Romney outsouced to call centers overseas. That really upsets me and I for one will remember that when I go to the polls. I am shocked and apalled. He must need educated on the fact that Americans jobs are going overseas. ...

Parable About Outsourcing
Jul 15, 2012

Just the link. ...

Transcription Outsourcing, LLC
Aug 13, 2012

Has anyone started working here on their radiology account?  Any information? ...

Coding Outsourcing
Sep 30, 2012

MTs come here for opinions on whether coding will go the way of transcription.   Many coders give their opinion.  Many feel safe, some don’t know, and many see many opportunities within the field to move about and are not worried.   There you have it.  Why argue?  The MTs argue that the coders are wrong and try to show that it will happen and is happening.  We gave our opinion, we know how we feel, and we are IN the field.  Are you trying to war ...

A Thought On Outsourcing
Dec 08, 2012

Just a thought...if they are going to outsource our US jobs to India, then give THEM the ESL dictators from India!!  I don't care for them. ...

Fatal Outsourcing.
Dec 15, 2012

See link.  http://blog.al.com/live/2012/12/fatal_outsourcing_thomas_hospi.html ...

This Is What I Don't Understand About Outsourcing
Jan 07, 2013

How can medical records which are so closely guarded in this country be sent to another country for transcription.  I think that most patients would be against having their sensitive medical information going to another country.  It doesn't seem that Mmodal could even outsource.  Is it because the public doesn't know? ...

Taxed For Outsourcing
May 08, 2013

...to those stiff tax penalties Obama was supposed to levy against companies that outsourced jobs?  If he, in fact, kept his promise, it doesn't seem like Nuance is bothered by it at all. ...

Outsourcing Coders
May 24, 2013

With all of this outsourcing of MT/Editors, what does the future look like for medical coders?  I have heard that Nuance has developed software to "assist" the coder.  My concern is that it is going to REPLACE the coder.  Any thoughts?  ...

Editorial Regarding Outsourcing
Aug 21, 2013

http://www.abqjournal.com/211443/opinion/unmh-outsourcing-an-economic-decision.html ...

Outsourcing Signs??
Jan 10, 2014

Hi everyone, new to this forum.  I work for a hospital and a lot of us are getting a bad vibe lately, we work from home but we are noticing little things happening, we keep losing our connections, Joblister keeps disconnecting and we are told the firewall is being updated.  Was wondering if anyone noticed little things like this before they were outsourced.  Thank you ...

Outsourcing To Nuance
Jun 26, 2015

Just found out the hospital I work for, along with the rest of the hospitals in the group nationwide, is outsourcing everything to Nuance.  Does anyone besides a troll have anything good to say about Nuance? And what is this "grid" thing--quality incentives no matter how fast/slow you transcribe? If you don't want their benefits, do you get more cpl? ...

Are There Any American MT Companies(no Outsourcing), Is So, Who Are They?
Sep 29, 2010

Is there a list of American MT Companies who do not outsource? ...