A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I'm wondering how the First Time Right has affected you. sm - shortcake

Posted: Sep 19, 2011

I've spent most of my day reading MQ policies, etc., and finding a lot of it hard to take in.  Seems like MTs are being punished.  I am anticipating feeling extreme stress with every report I transcribe.  I'm trying to have a positive attitude but it is hard.  Anything good to hear right now would be welcoming...... This is my second round with MQ and I'm surprised just how many changes and not so sure they are good changes.  Anything good to hear except that pay is always on time and direct deposit would be encouraging to hear.  Pay being on time and direct deposit is a good thing but not if my pay is minimum wage, already did that route last time with this company.  Thanks fellow MTs for listing, I guess I'm not having a good day....... 

Oh, please don't mind any typos; my hands are shaking!! - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]

In time - you will become like the rest of us

[ In Reply To ..]
You just won't care anymore. Sorry but they don't pay us enough to care anymore.

That's just so sad..... - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]

I spend 95% of my efforts to pass audits and please - QA and

[ In Reply To ..]
5% pleasing the hospitals. My skills are superb, but the QA thing makes me crazy. I don't send to QA unless I absolutely have to, but have no control over the amount audited so I am super-duper careful with every report. Has my production suffered? Absolutely. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Depends on which QA as to whether you do it right - MarineMom

[ In Reply To ..]
I just got off the phone with my QC, and there were 2 or 3 things, in just the few jobs we went over, that QA had WRONG...yes I know, no one is shocked. So while I am trying to do my job, make a little money and not get dogged by QA, it gives me very little hope when QA doesn't know what the hell they are doing, and it would be funny if it wasn't absolutely ridiculous!

I wonder how most Americans would - feel if they knew SM

[ In Reply To ..]
that their medical records were being transcribed by a foreign-owned company that pays its employees minimum wage who largely "do not care" any more? I wonder how doctors would feel if they knew that their reports were being prepared by such people?

None of these people will ever know if MTs just keep hanging around this board bemoaning their fate. There is a whole big Internet out there full of people who have no idea. Just saying.

? - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure what you mean by your post, but I make minimum wage and I still care very much about my work and glad I have the job.

So you are happy with being paid minimum wage for a - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
job that requires SKILLS? You have to be out of your mind or have absolutely no self-worth or self-esteem AT ALL.

just sent email to white house - Ihatecurry

[ In Reply To ..]
just sent an email to the white house asking what is being done about making offshoring less desirable to greedy corporations and how do we expect to decrease unemployment if offshoring is such a common practice in so many professions? Not to mention how nice it must be to be a congressman and vote in your own raises, benefits, etc. The term public servant is should be called "public ripoff"

it only affects you if you let it - North MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Once upon a Medquist time I was given the title of trustee, meaning that I could send reports straight to the client with 1 or 2 blanks. I figure if they trusted me then they why should I have to pay for the priviledge of QA? Every once in awhile I will get the dictator and report from hell and send it through to QA to cover my butt because I can't justify 30 or more blanks. However, I don't stress over the QA submissions because I know if I can't find it then neither than QA. I honestly try not to send them anything. The reason they started FTR is that some people were abusing QA; not finishing reports and sending them to QA to finish or not bothering to research anything and letting QA do the work.

You can use docqmanage to keep track of your QA submissions and line count to see how close you are to the 5% if you think you are sending too much but I think you will be just fine. Never send in for audio or sound problems or skipping because you know QA can't get it either and a lot of things can be handled by putting notes in the QA box and sending through to the client.

Thanks so much. I'm coming back hopefully only short-term and believe me - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm kicking and screaming every step of the way. I'm trying to be positive but jeez it's hard. I definitely can't take a pay cut as I hardly make it now. I just feel sick to my stomach about this whole thing. I appreciate your informative response because I have never abused QA but it sure is nice when you are not positive and just want a 2nd ear. Oh...the good ole days.....

I don't send anything to them - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Refuse to send them anything, don't care how many blanks are in it. I figure if I don't know what they are saying, QA doesn't know. I've been doing this a long time and research terms until I find them. If it is audio or speaking 100 miles an hour then QA would be guessing anyway, so I don't send them anything. Don't believe in having to be responsible for things that I can't do anything about.

Ditto - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
I also send nothing with an extremely occasional exception. If I have a report with some medical terms that I cannot find due to not understanding how they are pronounced because of a new dictator/account, I would send the report to QA. I think I have literally sent maybe 3-4 reports total to QA since FTR started.If a doctor is slobbering through and yawning and butchering his/her dictation, I am glad to send him/her a blank -a deserved blank.I swore when First Time Rotten came out that if I ever got 1 cent docked from my pay for FTR I would leave immediately.

First Time Rotten- love it! - North MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That is a perfect description! I remember having a conference call with my then CCM and I told her that no one in their right mind would give themselves a 75% pay cut (which is what happens when you make 4 cpl and get docked 3 cpl for QA)and why in the world would anyone send anything to QA and she got angry at me and basically called me insubordinate. I told her too that if I ever lost any money for asking for help consider that my last day.

She said corporate struggled on how to count QA submission- she said the MTs complained when they counted reports and were also complaining when they counted lines. I told her to stop counting and go after the MTs that were abusing QA and performance manage them out the door or coach/mentor them so they didn't need so much QA help. Apparently that was too hard a solution- just easier to punish the MTs for asking for help and demean them when they question the policy and refuse to purposely take a 75% pay cut. Fine then. The result of this policy is the poor quality reports found in the report lookup. First Time Rotten indeed.

get called out for it - bentfingers

[ In Reply To ..]
MQ/CCM questioned why I sent blanks to clients without going through QA? I was emailed a report with percentage of reports with blanks and percentage of them sent to client or QA. Next, was told to send all to QA unless an audio problem or be performanced managed (aka written up). I still don't guess and I have given up looking at my pay. I feel lower than low at what I don't make anymore and am waiting to be booted to collect my unemployment.

I just looked at my check stub in Ultipro - never looked before

[ In Reply To ..]
and saw that 1 cent a line for lines sent to qa. Guess what. NO MORE QA. I don't give a dead rats behind anymore. They don't pay me enough to put up with the crappy dictators and crappy sound. Garbage in? Garbage out. I will continue to do my best work because I care about the quality of the reports but I will not send to QA unless no choice. Go ahead. Dock me for trying to do a good job. We'll see who sees a lawyer first.

Similar Messages:

Wondering If There Is A Typical Lag Time For Hearing Back Once You Have Tested.
Sep 25, 2012

Tough to decide who to test with these days, but having done so I don't want to just sit here forever waiting for a response that should have long since come indicating, therefore, that no response will be coming.  Any thoughts?  A week?  Less?  More? ...

SPHERIS - MT AFFECTED?
Feb 19, 2010

Can any one shed light on whether Spheris MT and Editors are let go because of their fire sale to MedQuist? Are they losing any accounts? Which ones? Help please. ...

Affected Or Effected?
Oct 27, 2010

Lying on the affected or (effected) side.  Is there a simple little rule about this I need to know?  Thanks ...

Affected Vs Effected
Sep 18, 2014

D:  the chin itself will very likely not be dramatically affected by the face lift.   Maybe decaf coffee isn't a good idea after all.  Should this be affected or effected?? ...

How Has The POD Affected Your Line Count?
Dec 17, 2014

What was your line count before, and now with the POD?  Is it all VR?  How much ST? Another question.  What tier are you?  Are all 3 tiers on the PODS?  If so, how does that work?  ...

Has Outsourcing Affected Your Line Of Work? Tell Us About It
Aug 26, 2011

From an article in Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/24/-hotel-labor-living-wage-outsourcing-indianapolis_n_934667.html?ir=Politics This is an article about the outsourcing of hotel maids and staff. It is a bit different than our industry, but some similarities are striking: "In some cases, the housekeepers are expected to clean roughly twice as many rooms as they were just a few years ago, often working off the clock to meet their quota and avoid being disciplined. As t ...

Hurricane Sandy.... Think Our Work Will Be Affected By Her?
Oct 29, 2012

I work out of CT so I bet it will be slow this week. ...

I Will Keep Posting This Info Until Every Affected MT Sees It
Nov 19, 2014

If you work on Veterans Administration (VA) accounts, you MUST be classified as an employee and earn the appropriate wage determination rate (in the neighborhood of $14 to $20-plus an hour depending on county).  In addition, you must have a separate hourly rate of pay that is applied towards a benefits package. If you are doing this kind of work and are not properly classified or you are not being paid what you're supposed to be paid, REPORT YOUR MTSO TO THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR.   ...

Can Someone Give Me An Idea Of How My Pay Will Be Affected Going From Straight Transcripton To VR
Mar 12, 2013

I just got hired onto an account that is both VR and straight transcription.  I've never done VR before and I'm a bit concerned about how it's going to affect my pay.  Can anyone give me their experience on this?  Looking at 0.04 cpl is daunting, because I type REALLY fast and I feel like I could almost straight type it for 0.08 cpl in the time it will take me to edit it.  For those of you who have experience with it, how did you feel as far as the income you w ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Wondering About Pay
Dec 14, 2009

I work as an MT in a very rural area, so the pay is VERY good for me.  We are a one income household since my husband got laid off and I easily pay the mortgage, car payments, all of the bills, etc.  I was wondering, if a person lives in a much more expensive area, like California where a person's mortgage would easily be four times mine, do they get more money per line to compensate for that, or is it the same? ...

Just Wondering???
Feb 22, 2010

Does anyone miss just typing/transcribing a report the old fashioned way?  Expansions are nice, I must admit, but ASR is boring.   Just wondering..... ...

Wondering Again
May 07, 2010

Why do companies not want to use mac computers? I have tested many times using word 2003 on my computer but they get scared or dont know what to do if I tell them I use a mac computer. ...

Okay I Am Wondering What Is Going On? Sm
Jan 29, 2011

I have gone from NJA most of the time to now doing late work and have been having more work the last few days.  How is this possible?  Did MTs quit?  I just don't get it.  I am not complaining mind you but just wondering---how strange! ...

Just Wondering...has Anyone Ever Actually Gotten
Jun 01, 2011

gotten their pay docked 3 cents a line for critical errors, over 5% QA submission, etc.  I haven't heard anyone actually say that happened to them.  Is it just a threat ?  I know they would LIKE to dock our pay.    The reason I ask is that I've been having a bad past few weeks.....extra difficult/bad sound quality reports plus stress along with that has caused me to have to sent more than 5% to QA plus I make two what they call critical errors (I saw them as ...

Just Wondering ...
Jul 09, 2011

Hope I've got this on the right board.  I'm to the point where I need to get a new chair.  My back hurts, my butt hurts, and ... well ... you get the idea.  just wondering if anyone can recommend a good, reasonably priced chair. ...

I Was Just Wondering...
Oct 13, 2011

how hard it would be to switch from doing medical transcription to legal transcription?  That might be a good way to transition out of MT for someone who wants to try something else and still work at home.  I know nothing about it and thought maybe some of you do??     ...

Just Wondering...
Jan 16, 2012

Just wondering...when is "any where" used vs "anywhere"?  Sentence is "fluid draining any where between...."  Which is correct? ...

I Was Wondering About Something.
Jan 25, 2012

As an in-house MT we were required to wear business casual clothing.  Another job required scrubs.  Now that I work from home, I wear pJs, sweats, jeans, shorts, whatever.   I noticed that when I am "dressed" (not in pj's or sweats) that I seem to be more productive and I was wondering if others have noticed the same thing.  Sometimes I wonder if the way we dress to transcribe affects our productivity as a professional employee.  You know when you dress up to go ou ...

Just Wondering---
Jan 28, 2012

Who are they going to blame once they switch over to the EMR and there are a million mistakes on the chart?  They won't have the MTs to blame any more, so I wonder, who will it be???  Maybe the "scribe" or the med student who has to follow the docs around because they will be too lazy to type a few things into the computer?  Just wondering----. ...

Just Wondering If Anyone Here Has A
May 04, 2012

from PAHCS? Just curious....Havent come across any mention of them on here. ...

I Am Just Wondering...
Dec 25, 2012

get any kind of card, greeting, token or whatever from their MTSO?  This is the first time in over 20 years of MT that I received nothing, not even a happy holidays pat on the back email from a supervisor.  Now don't get me wrong; I'm not a person who gets all sentimental over the holidays, but really, to work for one of the biggest companies in the world and not even get an e-card?  Maybe I am just being a silly old fool,  but this seems very omnious to me, like tr ...

Saw This Ad And Am Wondering...
Feb 21, 2013

It's 11:30 p.m., and I'm looking at this website and have not thoroughly read this forum, so please don't get angry at me.  I'm 59 this year and can hardly believe the course below would only take a month to complete.  I fully realize, of course, that in no way, shape or form would this make me a coder but might hopefully get me into a doctor's office (?), which I'm having no luck whatsoever despite sending resumes, since I've had no recent ...

Wondering About Something, With So Many Of Us
May 28, 2013

I wonder that most of us seem to be in the mid-40s and even later 50s or 60s that are sick of the MT garbage and want to get out by going back to school. Has anyone considered the fact of how old you/we will be when we graduate a program? Even a 1-year program likely will take 2 years to go through if somone has to work full-time to support themselves, even with loans to pay for school. What about the age discrimination I hear so much of and definitely see it in the real world? Does ...

Just Wondering How Many MTs....
Jul 12, 2013

...can hardly stand to listen to another syllable of these dictators (I think they're supposed to be professionals?) who can hardly put two words together? I had a resident dictate over 30 minutes of absolute garbage today and this was actually an extremely sick patient. This is why I go to the doctor visits with my family members these days. Family members absolutely have to stay on top of things because we could encounter one of these residents/fellows who, in all honesty, may have the be ...

Just Wondering . . .
Sep 10, 2013

Did TSMs and QCs get their PTO cut?  Did their wages go down? Worker bee's are becoming extinct. Ponder that one. ...

Just Wondering.....
Jul 16, 2014

I work in the West and my work has been low, so that every night I am working outside my BOB, and usually for East or South.  How is your work in these other regions? ...

Wondering
Mar 05, 2015

Okay, I have to wonder if it costs so much to train an MT for a company that they would not work with their MTs to keep them happy in the work types and specialties they do. Most times instead if you are not happy with your accounts, they just fire you. Doesn't anyone work with anyone so it benefits the MT and the company both? I find it so maddening that someone just hired can do this without even discussing it with the MT at all. Just fire them because they wanted to try another sp ...

Still Just Wondering - WHY All This OT/MOT? Just What's Going On? No
Apr 29, 2015

MTs (which is probably the case - who wants this job!).  Did they send work back from India, etc.?  ...

Just Wondering... Audits
Dec 02, 2009

Just wondering if a transcriptionist with too many years of experience to tell fails an audit, then how are these India MTs keeping their jobs.  Are they passing their audits?  I just have a hard time believing that they are.  ...