A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Requesting time off - 7thchild

Posted: Nov 14, 2013

Does anyone else having trouble getting an answer to requests for days off? Sometimes they aren't approved and it's 24 hours before! Then I have to email and wait for an answer.... Holidays are a nightmare. I think I make about 6 dollars an hour (seriously) Is that kind of pay really worth missing a holiday with my family? So sad, so stuck.

Why - would

[ In Reply To ..]
you not just take the day off anyway? I would ask and if I don't hear anything, I take it anyway. Why are you making $6 an hour? If you are running out of work and sitting there waiting, just punch out and take the rest of the day off.

Sometimes holidays require a bit more planning - BZB

[ In Reply To ..]
than punching out and taking the rest of the day off. You can't just decide to go ahead and host Thanksgiving, or say "I'll be there after all for dinner" (unless it's nearby), etc. The holiday policy is an irritant to me. I mean lines-and-a half-sounds fair, when there are reports, but often there are not, and lines-and-a-half on nothing is just that (there are times $6 an hour would have been nice). It's good that our company can promise our customers holiday coverage, but it costs our company "nothing" if there are no reports. I feel holidays require basically an "on-call" hourly pay amount to cover being available. I know of no other business where you are not compensated for being on call.

Totally agree!.....sm - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have the awesome luck of having to work Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day because those are my "regularly scheduled" days to work. We were told that we weren't supposed to request those holidays off if we were scheduled to work them. My TSM is very good about allowing us to "flex" time on holidays we're scheduled to work...like if an MLS wants to trade hours with another MLS and it works out great for both of them, then TSM allows us to "work around" as long as there is someone to cover during the specific hours.

Last year, my sister came in from out of state. Unfortunately, I was scheduled to work Thanksgiving Day, so when she came to visit I had about 30 minutes visit with her because my account was overloaded with stats! That was the first time in a very LONG time that I have actually had work (and stats at that!) during a holiday.

I agree that we should be paid an hourly rate on holidays because they are normally extremely slow and there really is no money to be made. Shoot, I've made better money on a regular work day at regular rate of pay than on holidays!

TIME OFF - Pollyanna

[ In Reply To ..]
We can't get time off even with earned PTO! I was surprised I was allowed to be off for my father's funeral. Forget a holiday or time away. I've reached an all time low on income with this industry in the past 2 years.

Absolutely do have trouble--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I do work most holidays and it is not too big of a problem for me. My shifts are split so I try to work with that. Christmas I only work until 3 this year so I will host a Christmas dinner at 4 and hubs will help get things in the oven. I will just do as much preparation beforehand.

For me the most irritating part though is when there are plans that are dependent on the time off. If I was planning to go out of town, I would need to know. I have a daughter who has quarterly doctor appointments for her diabetes, those are not easily re-scheduled, I need to know if the time off is approved or not. I know that my supervisor should have seen the request too because my PTO requests due to being OOW have been approved. I just hope to make it one more year and next year at Christmas and Thanksgiving, I may be broke but I will be happy to have no scheduling problems.

Similar Messages:

Looking For Policy On Requesting Time Off.
May 13, 2012

I am looking for the policy that will tell me how soon I can start requesting time off.  It seems like it is 60 days and 90 days for holidays???  Thanks. ...

Why I Won't Waste My Time Requesting Reversals Anymore.
Jan 27, 2015

When it is dictated that the patient had knee surgery, (a couple of other procedures), then says rotator cuff and patella surgery... would that be considered a repeat of the knee surgery?   How am I supposed to know if when he dictated this, he was referring to the same surgery or not?   I blanked it and got an error on a post audit.   If I had repeated a DX in the list, I would have been marked off for that---cannot win either way.      ...

REQUESTING OT -- I JUST GOT NJA!!
Jan 22, 2015

x ...

Requesting Off For A Holiday..Can Someone Tell Me
Mar 28, 2010

me where to find the holiday request off rule --not more than 60 days or something like that.  I cant find it on MQ Central.  If you know the rule or how to find it on MQ Central that would be great!! ...

Is Requesting And Referring The Same Thing?
Oct 17, 2011

Is a requesting doctor the same thing as a referring doctor? ...

Requesting Advice On Computer Specs
Mar 06, 2014

Since I'm still using Windows XP, I need to change to Windows 7 OS to be HIPAA-compliant.  I will either buy a new computer or have one built for me.  Since price is a huge factor, I would like to spend the money on only the most important features (RAM and sound card).  Could anyone please advise me on how much RAM, size of hard drive, best sound card without going overboard, etc?  Preloaded or built from scratch?  Desktop or laptop? Like I said, since money is so ...

Ejection Fraction Is Questionable Of 50% And Angle 40%. I Am Requesting A S/l Maga
Aug 05, 2011

TIA ...

Referring Physician Vs Requesting Physician
Apr 30, 2013

What is the difference between referring physician and requesting physician? ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

Anybody Else's Actual Time Worked Not Match Clocked Time?
Jun 13, 2011

Ever since they have changed Schedule Source and now it has a display called today's activity with "actuals" hours, this has not matched the hours shown with the time clock punches and is less than the hours according to the clock punch. The difference adds up to a significant amount over time. I am really suspicious about being jypped paywise. ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

The New MQ Time Clock Time Zone Change
Jan 04, 2011

is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Like I'm going to remember 6 months from now to ask for my PTO in CST time when I am in EST time zone.  MQ is the screwiest company I have ever worked for. ...

Optiscript Part Time To Full Time
Nov 19, 2011

Does anyone care to share that if you are hired at optiscript part time will they let you change to full time easily? I know they are a small company and do not over hire so I do not know how easily this could be done.  I am thinking of cutting down to part time at my current employee so I can work part time elsewhere and eventually just leave my current employee once I see how the land lays elsewhere.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated :) ...

Full-time/Part-time Hours?
Feb 13, 2012

Since part-time is generally considered 20-25 hrs. per week, does that mean that full-time is anything over 25 hrs. per week or does it have to be a flat 40 hrs? ...

Anyone Gone From Full-time To Part-time With This Company?
Mar 21, 2012

I am strongly considering going to part-time, just hoping to get opinions from anyone who has gone from full-time to part-time or opinions from anyone who has just always been part-time.  Thanks! ...

Nuance: From Full-time To Part-time
Apr 26, 2012

Would anyone be willing to post info on this? I am considering switching to part-time. Wondering how amenable the company is to such requests. If you have done this, were you able to keep same schedule or were you forced into a different schedule? Thanks for any thoughts! ...

Questions Re Going From Full Time To Part Time. Sm
Aug 08, 2012

Has anyone been allowed to go from full-time to part-time employment with Nuance?  Were you able to keep the same basic schedule?  I won't be ready to do this until early next year, so not asking HR at this point. Thanks for any responses! ...

Nuance - Part Time To Full Time?
Aug 08, 2012

I see the post about going from full to part time, but what about the opposite?  For example, if I get hired at 30 hours per week and I have extra time available for a few weeks, can I consistently work more hours than those scheduled 30 hours?  Thanks for any insight you can give. ...

Change From Full- Time To Part- Time.
Sep 10, 2012

I am still debating whether to enroll at Andrews or M-TEC.  My husband is retiring in 2 years and I want to be able to work part-time after that.  Is it realistic to think that I can complete the course at Andrews or M-TEC in 12 months at the most, work full time for a year and then part-time after that.  I would want to be able to work from home.  I guess the other question is "How long after graduating could I expect to earn enough to make it worth the investment, in a reas ...

Is It Easy To Go From Full Time To Part Time At MM?
Feb 18, 2013

I hired on at full time but want to drop 2 hours off a day.  Do they make you change shift or accounts in that case? I don't want benefits so don't care about that.  I worked at Nuance and any change in schedule ultimately ended up in an account and/or shift change.   TIA ...

From Full Time To Part Time With MModal?
Mar 04, 2013

from full time to part time w MM?  I am so burned out trying to work full time hours, I honestly think I would get the same pittance of a check working part time.  Thanks.   ...

Has Anyone Moved From Part-time To Full-time With The
Apr 26, 2013

same company? If so, was it a good decision? I'm thinking of doing that. Thanks. ...

?? Full Time At IMedx/part Time
Jun 18, 2015

Just asking if anyone knows what is considered full time for Imedx and what is considered part time?  ...

Full-time To Part-time
Mar 09, 2010

For those who went full time to part-time with MQ (because you got another job)...how did that work?  Did they approve the schedule you wanted, or did they make you take a schedule?  My CCM told me in my area there is no more flexible part-time available but could do regular 24 hour part-time...she said she would have to approve my schedule if and when I do this.  I may be doing two part-time jobs to start and I am trying to figure out how to do my scheduling around both jobs.    Does a ...