A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Requesting advice on computer specs - sm

Posted: Mar 06, 2014

Since I'm still using Windows XP, I need to change to Windows 7 OS to be HIPAA-compliant.  I will either buy a new computer or have one built for me.  Since price is a huge factor, I would like to spend the money on only the most important features (RAM and sound card).  Could anyone please advise me on how much RAM, size of hard drive, best sound card without going overboard, etc?  Preloaded or built from scratch?  Desktop or laptop?

Like I said, since money is so tight, I cannot spend a lot, but want to make sure I have a very MT-friendly computer.

Thanks, everyone, for any input you can offer.

What are your current specs? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Processor? RAM? Mother Board?

AMD 32-bit, 960 MB of RAM - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't know about the motherboard. This is a 10-year-old machine.

Computer Specs - Samsgirl

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're buying a new computer to work for Nuance I don't know why you bother. I would save the money and put it on a gas card so you can get to and from work someday very very soon. They are losing work right and left. Maybe save it for tuition for a course that will afford you a career change. This MT business is not where it's at anymore I hate to say. Sorry for the negativity. I had no work today. I will log in tomorrow morning to the same I'm sure. It's been this way for almost 3 weeks. Thanks to the government mandates on EHR this time next year there will be no MTs. I'm not starting malicious rumors or anything of the sort. It's all part of Obama's healthcare reform and requiring ALL institutions to be switched over to electronic health record keeping system by January 2015. Where does that leave us? Yeah, you got it, without a job!

computer specs - mtinmi

[ In Reply To ..]
Check on getting a refurbished computer with windows 7. I got mine from a computer repair shop. Hard to find windows 7 on new computers and the update for a computer is costly.

Check out MicroCenter online - very decent prices for windows 7

[ In Reply To ..]
I just got a brand new PC built by their in-house techs (a PowerSpect) with 2T hard drive, 8 gigs RAM for $579. I increased the RAM to 24 gigs for another $100 and have room for a total of 32 gigs when I get another $100 bucks (16 more gigs to replace the two 8 gig modules and make it 32 gigs total).

Admittedly, you don't need 2T and 32 gigs to work for a transcription company, but I also do a lot of video editing for little league in my spare time and those specs are what I needed to work seamlessly for that. It's an i5 core, which is just fine for video editing, but you don't even need that much if you just browse the web, watch video or play games online, and also do work, so maybe even an i3 or whatever suits your needs. You can order one they have pre-assembled and installed, or you can build your own.

That amount of memory and RAM for $579 is awesome, though. Plus they gave me Windows 7 installed without ANY bloatware, just the stuff you need and then you add your own programs. I also got a disk and product key for Windows 8 if I ever wanted to upgrade (for free) and 1-1/2 years of free virus service, which is a pretty good program. So if I went with that much RAM, etc., and it was only $579, you could order a much cheaper PC that suited your needs, I'm sure.

I have a MicroCenter nearby so I drove there, but they deliver too!

Hope that helps! I thought their customer service was topnotch. They've already helped me with a question I had in a matter of 10 minutes ;)

Not a HIPAA thing - A Support Thing-nm

[ In Reply To ..]
vvv

Similar Messages:

Need To Buy A Computer, Anyone Know What Specs I Need For Transcription?
Aug 21, 2011

Ok, I have to buy a computer and I'm going to have to go tomorrow to find something because I'm starting a new job this week, so I'm down to the wire.  I've been trying to find out where to buy and what to buy.  It is at the point right now, I cant afford a brand new one but I want to get a used one that will be good for transcription.  Can anyone tell me what to look for such as processor, processor speed, how much RAM, etc.  I am desperate. ...

Computer Specs Questions
Nov 09, 2013

Recently unemployed from a hospital which paid hourly and supplied computer, footpedal, etc.  I recently interviewed for a job with a service and my computer does not meet the required specifications.  They did send me their required specs.  I was wondering if I posted what the specs are could someone tell me if I purchase this, would it work for any other company.  I passed this company's employment test without a foot pedal.  Can someone recommend a foot pedal tha ...

What Are The Minimum Specs For Using Your Own Computer?
Jan 25, 2014

Got laid off from company that supplied computers. Have to find another job but not sure if I should go buy a computer or what kind if I do. Apparently not a lot of companies supply a computer. If I have to buy one, I'd rather buy a laptop. Can you work from a laptop? If so, what would the minimum requirements for that laptop be as far as RAM and CPU, operating system, etc. I would think most new laptops would meet most companies' requirements? Any advice would be appreciated so ...

Can Someone Tell Me If These Computer Specs Are Acceptable...
Oct 13, 2014

for most jobs: HP DC5800 Desktop PCDual Core Processor 2.0GHz 2 GB 160GB HDD Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit. Thanks! ...

REQUESTING OT -- I JUST GOT NJA!!
Jan 22, 2015

x ...

Requesting Off For A Holiday..Can Someone Tell Me
Mar 28, 2010

me where to find the holiday request off rule --not more than 60 days or something like that.  I cant find it on MQ Central.  If you know the rule or how to find it on MQ Central that would be great!! ...

Requesting Time Off
Nov 14, 2013

Does anyone else having trouble getting an answer to requests for days off? Sometimes they aren't approved and it's 24 hours before! Then I have to email and wait for an answer.... Holidays are a nightmare. I think I make about 6 dollars an hour (seriously) Is that kind of pay really worth missing a holiday with my family? So sad, so stuck. ...

Is Requesting And Referring The Same Thing?
Oct 17, 2011

Is a requesting doctor the same thing as a referring doctor? ...

Looking For Policy On Requesting Time Off.
May 13, 2012

I am looking for the policy that will tell me how soon I can start requesting time off.  It seems like it is 60 days and 90 days for holidays???  Thanks. ...

Why I Won't Waste My Time Requesting Reversals Anymore.
Jan 27, 2015

When it is dictated that the patient had knee surgery, (a couple of other procedures), then says rotator cuff and patella surgery... would that be considered a repeat of the knee surgery?   How am I supposed to know if when he dictated this, he was referring to the same surgery or not?   I blanked it and got an error on a post audit.   If I had repeated a DX in the list, I would have been marked off for that---cannot win either way.      ...

Specs
Dec 04, 2013

Hello I was emailed specs because I am buying a new computer. I am new to transcription and dint necessarily know what all of this means. In the specs it says platform 7 I am unaware of what that is. Also the specs don't list anything about windows 8 even in the not supported section didn't know if anyone knew if platform 7 is compatible with windows 8. ...

Ejection Fraction Is Questionable Of 50% And Angle 40%. I Am Requesting A S/l Maga
Aug 05, 2011

TIA ...

What Do The Account Specs Mean By
Jul 09, 2011

qualified verbatim?  This may be a dumb question but the wording on some of these account specifications is confusing to this old lady. ...

How Do You All Keep Your Acct Specs Organized?
Jul 28, 2011

I'm sure a lot of you work on multiple accounts. I work on 3 different accounts. Right now I have my account specifics on my desktop, but this is aggravating to me. I think it would be easier to print them and put them in a binder to have easy access to them and put each hospital in its own tabbed section. Some people may think it's easier to have them on their desktop where they can click on them and leave them open in the background, but then I scroll and seems like cannot find w ...

FIESA Could Not Locate In Act Specs
Aug 21, 2012

Okay please someone answer this for me - I check my FIESA every day I made an error one day (actually I knew I didn't put this heading in because I had no info to put underneath it and could not locate in act specs whether or not you still put heading in if there was nothing to put underneath it) I sent a note to my QA/QC person and did not hear back - the next day I had the same thing and treated it the same way.  I then later that day got my FIESA back from that report which had been don ...

AARGH. Account Specs
Apr 13, 2013

Driving me crazy!! Hundreds of nitpicky preferences that have NOTHING to do with patient care. Wait until the Obamacare database kicks in. They will be told what to put in and in what format, and I hope we're all grinning as Federal employees. ...

Why Can't Account Specs Be Kept Current?
Dec 03, 2013

Second large account I have been placed on and, again, account specs are not up to date. When they send them out, you study them, focus on them while you are working, only to be sent an updated edition 2 and 3 times. Before you ask someone to help on your account and send them specs, is it too much to ask that they are current? Isn't that your job? My primary account specs are so outdated, I do not know how anyone could work on it either. ...

Universal Specs Could Be Used For Any New Account If Only
Aug 02, 2014

1. Type what the provider says. 2.  Leave a blank when unintelligible.  3.  Send here _________when finished.  Have the attorneys not explained to these people yet that the more responsibility assumed for unachievable perfection is just that much more liability they will bear for the inevitable errors that occur? Good grief, they must have never tried a case in a real court of law.  ...

Well The Emails Are Flowing Regarding Acct Specs......
Jan 23, 2013

They must have a lot of new people on this account. Maybe if they paid a decent salary that we can live on, there would not be such a turnover with this company. I've read on these boards in the past how people skim over headers and zip through reports because they are making such crap wages and have bills to pay. ...

New Specs Posted On Fiesa With NO Notification. Previous
Oct 18, 2014

...I suppose because I said the account names. So, here goes, large city account in CT, and small city outside Seattle. Supe is LG on the AB (COM) team. Found these new specs on 10/15 and have no idea what the changes are because we were never even told about them. Heads up, folks! ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

Referring Physician Vs Requesting Physician
Apr 30, 2013

What is the difference between referring physician and requesting physician? ...

Need New Computer
Dec 26, 2009

I need a new computer however I need to have XP for EXText.  Wondering which way I should go--- Dual boot or have 2 separate hard drives, one for XP and the other for Windows 7 Professional?  Any advice? ...

Mq Computer
May 10, 2010

I leave my computer up and running all the time.  In the past week every morning I am having to reboot because I get an error saying "insufficient system resources to perform this action."  As soon as it finally reboots, then everything is fine, I can log onto DQS and type all day with no problems.  Then it sits again all night, and the same thing happens the next morning. Does anyone know what the problem might be?  Tech support has already increased the virtual memory capa ...

How Many Of You Use Your MQ Computer...
May 17, 2010

for other things besides work such as another job, internet shopping, banking, facebook, etc.? ...

Help - New Computer
Aug 19, 2010

I got a new computer today and when my first job comes up the ADT info is at the top of the page.  Can you tell me how to get it off.  Also how to I make the print on my screen larger?  TIA ...

Computer Age VS 6.1
Sep 10, 2010

I was just wondering how old some computers are that are having problems with 6.1 and if there are people with newer computers that handles it better.  Mine is a MQ computer that is 4 years old now and it bogs down quite a bit.  Everything is sluggish now.  I do have 1 GB of ram and 1.84 GHz, so 6.1 shouldn't take a toll on it as bad as it is.  I'm just wondering if I should ask the Q for an upgrade, if that is the problem.  Knowing the RAM and proces ...

Help MQ Computer
Sep 16, 2010

Need help! I don't use an MQ computer, since they don't want you to put anything personal on it, and most of my life, including banking, is on my computer.   My 4-year-old computer crashed and is in the shop for a couple days, and I decided maybe it's time to get a new one.  The problem is, DQS requires a 32-bit system, and so far all the new computers I've found are all Windows 7, which is 64 bits.   I also want to get a slimline, since it kills my ...