A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

OH NO--hospital outsourcing to Nuance - anon

Posted: Oct 15, 2013

Just heard our hospital is outsourcing 100% to Nuance. They are offering us our hospital pay for a while. Benefits marginal. I've read all the horror stories about them eventually sending all the work offshore and the US MTs making minimum wage doing all the worst dictators. Please tell me this isn't true. I've been with the hospital 16 years and will retire in 2 years. I'm so upset.

Ask if there are any in-hospital positions for you. - curiousMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Honestly, you will not enjoy the Nuance experience and with 2 years to go I would opt to stick with the hospital, even if it meant janitorial work. Seriously, Nuance is absolutely horrible. They lie about everything they promise just to get the client and then it's just too late for the employees. I'm so sorry for you and this situation. Good luck to you.

stay with the hospital! - agree totally

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked many hospital positions from admitting clerk to transcriptionist, and I would give anything to find an admitting clerk, unit secretary job now so I can escape. You never feel like you have job security with this company, and it makes you constantly anxious. Good luck!

I agree - MT Headed

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't understand why when a hospital outsources, the MTs think that going to work for the new company is their only option. You don't have to go to work for Nuance. With 2 years to go, try for clerical jobs within your facility, see if HR will help you. It will probably be less pay but you will be able to keep your benefits and it will definitely offer more stability. My MT job of many years went offshore a year ago and my employer helped to place all of us internally. If nothing else, draw unemployment for a while and take advantage of the education opportunities for displaced workers. With such a short time until retirement, you could even temp. Think things through before signing on with Nuance.
I believe with some facilities who are taken over you may be able to - contract as an IC
[ In Reply To ..]
The account I am on I still see people who have different initials and I believe they were original hospital employees and were taken on as ICs because of their expertise.

That might be something to at least ask about, because I have to think your knowledge of the hospital would be valuable and a bargaining tool and I have to think you could negotiate a better deal than what Nuance offers (really almost anything would be better). Also, you then might not be subjected to the idiotic FIESA with those special circumstances.

go on unemployment - Effie

[ In Reply To ..]
Go on unemployment...then retire in your 2 years. Are they offering severance pay?

IOutsourced to Nuance - Vera

[ In Reply To ..]
Been there and done that. I was outsourced 5 years ago from a hospital I had worked at for 24 years. We were not outsourced to Nuance though. Take unemployment until you find something else. If you are making by the hour now, you will not be for long and I went from about $32,000 a year now down to about $12,000 a year. Sad for me as I am 63 and going backwards in pay instead of forwards.

Do WHATEVER it takes to NOT work for Nuance. - RUN

[ In Reply To ..]
Came to Nuance through a buyout about a year ago. It has consistently gotten worse to the point that I can honestly say this is the worst job I have ever had. I dread getting up in the morning knowing I have to sit down at the computer and listen to the nonsense that their wonderful VR produces. Don't enjoy my days off like I used to because I spend my time dreading going back to work. RUN, RUN, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM NUANCE!!!!!!!

Don't Rush Judgement! - Just Me

[ In Reply To ..]
Please make sure you do the judging and don't go off of this board. I have heard nothing but horror stories on this board, and I am now with Nuance and have not problems at all. This board is full of disgruntled employees - try it and MAKE THE JUDGEMENT FOR YOURSELF!!! Seriously!

Do rush to judgment! - donno

[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously! No e in judgment! Nuance would ding you for that one. According to FIESA (3) points off for a Major error.

I tried not to listen to this board when my place of business got bought out by Nuance, but I'm sorry I didn't. In the first few weeks to months I had no problem either, but the bad soon caught up to me. This board does not lie. Actually I have been able to relate to many of the events stated here on this board.

I wish I could like this a billion times. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
so true

do rush to judgment - tree

[ In Reply To ..]
OMG! Misspelling judgment is not a 3 point error . . . you are just being ridiculous. I do QC here and that is a flat-out lie. This is why people are telling this person not to listen to everything on this board . . because a lot of it is lies!!
Just me and tree do rush to judgment! - InBud
[ In Reply To ..]
All specialties at Nuance are not created equal when it comes to QA. In my specialty, 3 points would be taken off for that error and that is no lie! Perhaps you should walk a mile in my shoes before you call me or any of the rest of us a liar.

Besides Just Me and Tree, the hallmark of any good QA evaluator is to know how to spell! Good luck on that one!
Lies - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The only LIES you will hear on this board come from QC. They are the ones manufacturing lies.

Do listen to people on this board, we know, we have been there DAILY.

You may start out okay, but it won't take long until all the changes kick in, and YOU will be one of the disgruntled employees.

QC makes up stuff to ding you for. Almost funny, if I didn't have to spend my time getting errors reversed for what I did right in the first place.

All you QC cheerleaders, I imagine you as little trolls that live under a bridge, desparate, pitiful, trying to find that error. Makes me laugh.
Trolls under a bridge? - JustMe
[ In Reply To ..]
Funny how I've never gotten an error reversed on me since I've been here. Not one. Mistakes are mistakes and people don't like to hear they make them. If you don't hear from us, you'll hear from the client. Your choice.
Trolls - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Funny too, how I have gotten most of my so-called errors reversed, and I always make bonus.

Here's the thing, when QC combs the report and tries to find an "a, the (as in The patient or not), a comma, or anything else to take points off, it's like they are grasping for straws. Anything to try and take that bonus away. It seems counterproductive and adds NOTHING, notta, zip to the report or care of the patient, which is why most MTs chose their line of work to begin with.

Funny, but sad. Maybe that's why all the turnover, people not willing to help out when there is overtime. Nuance, employee satisfaction is what you need more than anything, as the workers are why you exist, unless you count buying up other companies just cause you can.
Do rush to judgment - burnedoutco
[ In Reply To ..]
Actually mispelling is a 1 point error, "major" though. Also, missing out the word "the" even though the doctor did not acutally say it is also a "major" error. Still, certain QCs either make up errors or are downright incompetent as I get the majority of my "major" errors reversed and am sick, sick, sick, angry, and frustrated of spending my precious time doing this. If you correct grammar, QC say "verbetum" but if you don't you get a sickening little note explaining where you went wrong grammar wise. You just can't win with Fiesa no matter how hard you try. One QC will say it should be this way, one that and when you get a little note saying "good job" I want to throw up.

To the person who wonders if they should go with Nuance, do you get the picture? Get trained for something else, there is only frustration at Nuance. I am out of here in less than a year myself when I retire. The posts are 99% correct.
WOW TREE - Catness
[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds as if someone has a bit of angst over their inferiority complex, which makes you truly a legend in your own mind!

"Do" rush judgment - donno - JustMe

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, I am not typing a medical document so don't need to be QA'd by someone on here. That would also NOT be a CSPE error for 3 points. I do QC here. The sad thing is people who constantly lie and have no clue what they're talking about and spout off on here with incorrect information. This board DOES lie and I've seen tons. Most of it are MTs who are not up to par, don't want to put the extra in, and get ticked off when they called on the carpet for a mistake they make. Maybe you should look at the mistakes you make, learn from them, and improve yourself. .....and if you're old school and don't like the technology, then maybe this line of work is not for you. The stuff I see on here is ridiculous and I would bet my next 5 paychecks is newbies out of school or old timers. I've been doing this for 25 years but can roll with the technology. Some people just need stuff to whine about.
to JUST ME - donno
[ In Reply To ..]
Looks like Nuance hierarchy is on damage control. Your generalizations are pompous, self-righteous, and disingenuous.
Nuance hierarchy? - JustMe
[ In Reply To ..]
...not quite. Call it what you want. You know it's true which is why you have nothing else to say. You can't tell me that Nuance is #1 in the country with 10,000 unhappy employees. Try some logic.

Judgment...with no e - JustMe

[ In Reply To ..]
According to FIESA, a Major error is 1 point, a CSPE error is 3 points. If you're going to call me on the carpet, get your own facts straight.
Just me: For all my truth-telling quality MLSs - dunno
[ In Reply To ..]
Just me is a confoundedly fiendish derelict, a miserable dissolute narcissist, a frightfully ill-mannered filch, a cruelly inept delinquent, a corrupt nostril-offending mass of neuroses and complexes and a decadent odiously suffocating chromosome-deficient test tube experiment that is a one-dimensional nauseating assault on the senses and a conglomerate of intellectual constipation.

Disgruntled employees - Verydisgruntled

[ In Reply To ..]
If I saw a board full of "disgruntled employees," I'd have to ask myself WHY. We can't all be crazy, bad, uneducated medical transcriptionists. Ultimately the decision is yours, but if I were you, I'd heed the advice you're reading here. There's a reason, actually many reasons, why we despise this company. My pay has been literally slashed in half from Webmedx days just to name one reason.

Please for your own sanity - sufferinginsilence

[ In Reply To ..]
Try to find a job in the hospital - whatever it is. These stories are TRUE and there are a lot of very talented MTs with years of experience (I have over 25 years) and what is on this board is TRUE!! This is the WORST company I have every worked for and that is no lie!! We are disgruntled for a good reason. I too am a Webmedx transplant and my pay was too literally cut in half.

Go to your HR department and see what's available in the hospital.

Dislike - LMAO

[ In Reply To ..]
Slow day today in HR Laura? NOBODY that does this job would be disliking any comment made by any of us, which are 100% true. Your transparency is beyond laughable. Go back to Human Resources and whatever it is you DON'T do.

Run to the nearest exit! - Alianne

[ In Reply To ..]
For one thing your way to qualified for them and for another this company represents the devil's incarnate. It is a real hello hole if you know what I mean.

Sometimes when we hear the worst, we don't - Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
want to believe it's true. I admit, that is the way I usually am. I am a positive person, not a complainer, always wanting to see the best in everything. However, in this case, about 99% of what you hear is true about Nuance. It's ultimately your decision and you will, I'm sure, weigh all your options.

try it.You will most assuredly be typing on your present - lessie

[ In Reply To ..]
account. I always say to the jeers I make good money with them and apparently so do many others. For the 5-10 MLS who may have true problems there are tons of MLS content.

You will probably make less than hospital pay. I would make a pro and con listg - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Pro - 1. Only two years to retire
2. Stay at home.
ETC.

Con: 1. Less pay.
2. Eventually turn on the 99%
QC/QA unreasonable.
3. ETC.

Make your own.

Someone is trying to yank my chain - Tocarz

[ In Reply To ..]
A ton of MLSs who are content? Good money Eh? Poor is the new black!

See? - JustMe

[ In Reply To ..]
14 Dislikes and 1 Like and yet there are 9,985 other MTs out there who work for Nuance you haven't heard from yet. Hmmmmm....I'm sure they are just ALL so miserable which is why they stay and Nuance is at the top. Use some logic new people and don't listen to the same people on here who post over and over and over and over again.

Stop tying to save Nuance singlehandedly - Alianne

[ In Reply To ..]
Ms. Nuance, JUSTME: This company is partially owned and run by Indians. There will be another bus load from India arriving soon that will make an even 10,000 who have to love their job and be complacent because it is the only job they can get that pays $150 dollars a month.

As far as the being #1, you are mixing apples and oranges. In 2011, Nuance was #1 in acquiring a KLAS award. That award has nothing to do with employee satisfaction, but instead satisfaction in software/products such as (escription, Powerscribe). You were wondering why there are so many dislikes from your posts? REALLY?

Find out if there will be a transcription - aliciaf

[ In Reply To ..]
coordinator at your hospital and apply for that. An MT who had worked at the hospital for 25 yrs became the transcription coordinator. She's now doing a lot of work with the MDs and IT people trying to get Powerscribe up and running with templates, tables, does some QA, figures out glitches like orders not attached to reports, and transcribes as needed.

Find out what exactly Nuance will be offering the hospital. Nuance doesn't necessarily send everything to India. Nuance provided IT people and support to transition our work to Powerscribe.

My experience with a takeover first by WMX (5 yrs ago) and then by Nuance (about 2 yrs after WMX) is that most people didn't stick around to find out what would happen and the majority of jobs went to WMX MTs. It took a while for the transition to occur. Offer to be the person who does the transcription even after the transition is complete. There will be STATs, tired docs who don't want to edit or send to editor, tech glitches, etc that stay in-house and are straight-typed.

If your transition is anything like ours was, the doctors hated it and it took well over a year before things settled down. Nuance came in and there was yet another upheaval. I did IC work for WMX (at the hospital rate and for 2 yrs) and Nuance (slightly lower rate) and then the hospital hired me back (at 1990s rate). I thought 5 years ago my job would end shortly after WMX but I'm still working for the same department.

do try to stay in the hospital - beulah

[ In Reply To ..]
With retirement a mere 2 years away, I'd certainly advise against leaving the hospital. In retrospect, that is what I should have done, for practicality's sake, when my hospital outsourced, even though I love MT work and am glad to have been able to do it just a little longer. It was very stressful to make the conversion to all-internet and the company's typing platform, along with brand-new accounts in other states, and being paid by production instead of hourly. My wages dropped significantly along with benefits. This is a far different ballgame than hospital work. There are definitely some MTs that are quite happy here, but I think it completely depends on the demands of your accounts, your typing platform, how much work is available, how helpful your supervisor is, and the type of work you do (radiology, clinic, acute care), so it's hard to predict how it will work out. Your pay and benefits are probably already pretty good in the hospital, and you have socialization too with other coworkers (I miss that), so probably better to stick it out, even if it might mean taking a position you're not quite as keen on. Just my 2 cents-worth.

Similar Messages:

HELP! My Hospital Is Outsourcing To Medquist
Dec 14, 2011

Hi Everyone - Question, my department of about 13 MTs were just notified last week that our hospital will be out sourcing to MQ. Now MQ was there and offered all of us positions. My question is, after looking at all these posts and from our own investigating, is MQ a good company or not? We are going from an hourly rate with the hospital to 9 cpl for typing and 4 cpl for VR and then 3 cpl for master editor or something. What we have found is that MQ is not such a "great place to work" as our hos ...

Outsourcing To Nuance
Jun 26, 2015

Just found out the hospital I work for, along with the rest of the hospitals in the group nationwide, is outsourcing everything to Nuance.  Does anyone besides a troll have anything good to say about Nuance? And what is this "grid" thing--quality incentives no matter how fast/slow you transcribe? If you don't want their benefits, do you get more cpl? ...

UPMC MTs Protest Post Nuance Outsourcing
Oct 31, 2013

These are transcriptionists that were pretty much forced to sign onto Nuance once they took over the transcription of their hospital. No option for UE or severance! After working for Nuance see how much their pay drops. Pretty disgusting, actually. We have all experienced it, but gradually for us, bit by bit, but these poor ladies got a huge dose all at once and went from making good money and good benefits to minimum wage. ...

Hospital Job Lost To Nuance
May 28, 2013

We were just told last week that our hospital will be going over to Nuance and that we will have the option to go also as employees of Nuance. We are told that at least we will "still have jobs" and that we will "still be able to work on our own account/doctors from the hospital". Nuance is telling the hospital all sorts of wonderful things, and we are being told very little. Can anyone please tell me what to actually expect? Will we stay on our hospital account? I left a national company t ...

Nuance Hospital Takeover
Apr 30, 2014

Our hospital transcription department is nearing its demise. We've been expecting it for some time but that time has come. Nuance, of course, is the company that has come in to save the day and graciously offer all of us jobs.  I don't think there's even a chance I would accept such an offer but would love to hear stories from those of you who have gone through this as I know there are many of you. A lot of what I've read on this site is from a couple of years ...

When Your Hospital Out-sources To Nuance....
Aug 28, 2014

Has anyone worked as an MT for a hospital that decided to go with Nuance for their transcription, and effectively eliminated their in-house transcriptionists?  If you did, and you took a job with Nuance, how did it go?  Did you get to stay on your original hospital account?  Was it an okay switch?  Do you get other awful accounts thrown at you?  Thanks in advance! ...

Nuance Taking Over Our Hospital Dictation
Sep 19, 2013

We learned today that our transcription department is being eliminated and Nuance will be taking over. However, Nuance has kindly agreed to offer employment to us, promising that our first choice will be our hospital account. I think they are full of it and are just telling the hospital (and us) what they think we need to hear, and that one should run, and not walk, away from their job offer. Thoughts?  ...

Latest Hospital To Sell Out To Nuance
Nov 07, 2014

I am one of 20 acute care hospital transcriptionists who have just lost our jobs to Nuance.  Boy did they do a sales job on our hospital.  Our hospital refused to give us severance pay using the excuse that they were giving us as "a gift" the opportunity to work with Nuance and that in itself canceled out the severance pay.  Hah!  Most of us have been working for this hospital for 20+ years.  We lost it all -- job, health ...

We Just Found Out Our Hospital Jobs Have Been Outsourced To Nuance.... Sm
Feb 20, 2015

We just found out our hospital jobs are being outsourced to Nuance.  I am really worried.  From the webinar we attended, Nuance said all the right things and it didn't sound too bad, but it sure doesn't mesh with what I'm reading here.  We have to make a decision about whether to go with them or not by next week, and I don't feel like I have all the answers I need yet.  I feel like I'm being pressured.    I want to ask them questions b ...

Q&A Session Before Nuance Takes Over Our Hospital Dictation - Need Advice
Jun 25, 2013

I had posted a while back about Nuance taking over our hospital dictation. We are scheduled to meet with our department heads, HR, and Nuance in July sometime to go over the details of onboarding. Since we are being fed all of the wonderful benefits of being able to just on-board with Nuance and how nice it was of our hospital to think of us by providing us with this opportunity, I would like to ask some very pointed questions to the account executive that will be at this meeting in order to s ...

MT Pay Versus What Nuance Charges Per Line For Hospital Reports
Jun 07, 2014

Does anyone know or maybe even make an educated guess...how much a hospital might pay per line to have Nuance do their reports?  We are guessing somewhere .12 to .15 upwards to .20/line.   Of course they are claiming that this will save them all sorts of money and we'd like to know if they are really going to save as much as they think they are.  Oh...and did I mention that Nuance said they wouldn't be sending anything to anyone who didn't speak English ou ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Please - Outsourcing
Aug 08, 2013

If it wasn't for outsourcing, we wouldn't have jobs. The hospitals are outsourcing to us. There is a difference between "outsourcing" and "offshoring." ...

Outsourcing Backlash
Nov 02, 2009

Medical transcription is not the only thing being outsourced.....Lots of info to Google re Boston Hyatt Hotels replacing long time housekeeping staff with people the staff trained.  It seems that everying, from the governor's office down, is outraged and want the housekeepers reinstated.  Hospitality Staffing Solutions are paying the new workers $8 per hour and no benefits.  The original housekeepers were making $14-20/hour with benefits and pension.   ...

Outsourcing Fiasco -
Nov 24, 2009

Click on link.  UK patient medical records end up on black market. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1221186/Private-medical-records-sale-Harley-Street-clinic-patients-files-outsourced-input--end-black-market.html#ixzz0UVTq0qNI ...

DSG/MedQuist/Outsourcing
Jan 24, 2010

Can anyone tell me how closely affiliated DSG and MedQuist are, and if DSG outsources to India?  We all know MQ outsources, but I'm having trouble getting information. Thinking about working for DSG, but I don't want to go anywhere that has any affiliation whatsoever with MQ.  I've heard DSG uses MQ's software, just wondering how far they are in cahoots with the Q on other things, like outsourcing to India. ...

Outsourcing To India
Jun 15, 2010

On numerous occasions over the past year I was told by my CCM that the reason they are outsourcing to India is because there is a shortage of qualified MTs because the average age of an MT is 55 and they are starting to retired.  Like the infamous ***** and is ridiculous claim about 650 lph on ASR, that MTs have an IQ of about 6.    ***** Do not name/identify individuals.  Moderator ***** ...

NEW NBC SHOW ABOUT OUTSOURCING
Aug 31, 2010

I JUST WANT TO VENT.  I don't remember the exact name of this new NBC show making a comedy out of outsourcing - but I think we all need to find out who or where to write and tell them OUTSOURCING OVERSEAS IS NOT FUNNY!!  From what I gather from the ads the jobs go to India (I believe) and it's supposed to be so funny.  It's not freakin amusing in the least.  We aren't the only industry who have been royaly SCREWED by big companies.  T ...

OSi (Outsourcing Solutions, Inc)
Oct 12, 2010

Anyone heard about or work for OSi (Outsourcing Solutions, Inc)?  Any info would be appreciated! ...

Hospitals/outsourcing
Oct 15, 2010

Currently, I have a FT job w/a very large hospital, actually multiple hospitals combined.  We all once worked in the office; however, they sent us all home to work.  There are about 130 hospital transcriptionists.  We also outsource a lot of work to a large company.  There have been so, so many changes - everything from new management, VR, pay for production.....Communication amongst co-workers has disappeared.  Management doesn't respond.  I'm really wond ...

Ever Wonder What Clients Would Think About Doing Their Own Outsourcing?
Oct 26, 2010

Just thinking out loud here.  I know many practices probably do their own outsourcing to MTs at home. Why not more?  It must be cheaper for them with higher quality work, personalized service, etc.  Some hospitals even hire MTs to work from home rather than use an MTSO. How can we, as the MT community, reach more clients/practices.  Surely they have a liason in the office who handles the direction of their transcribed reports, in-house editing; someone who could do ...

Outsourcing Overseas
May 10, 2012

I just saw a comercial on TV last night that says Mitt Romney outsouced to call centers overseas. That really upsets me and I for one will remember that when I go to the polls. I am shocked and apalled. He must need educated on the fact that Americans jobs are going overseas. ...

Parable About Outsourcing
Jul 15, 2012

Just the link. ...

Transcription Outsourcing, LLC
Aug 13, 2012

Has anyone started working here on their radiology account?  Any information? ...

Coding Outsourcing
Sep 30, 2012

MTs come here for opinions on whether coding will go the way of transcription.   Many coders give their opinion.  Many feel safe, some don’t know, and many see many opportunities within the field to move about and are not worried.   There you have it.  Why argue?  The MTs argue that the coders are wrong and try to show that it will happen and is happening.  We gave our opinion, we know how we feel, and we are IN the field.  Are you trying to war ...

A Thought On Outsourcing
Dec 08, 2012

Just a thought...if they are going to outsource our US jobs to India, then give THEM the ESL dictators from India!!  I don't care for them. ...

Fatal Outsourcing.
Dec 15, 2012

See link.  http://blog.al.com/live/2012/12/fatal_outsourcing_thomas_hospi.html ...

This Is What I Don't Understand About Outsourcing
Jan 07, 2013

How can medical records which are so closely guarded in this country be sent to another country for transcription.  I think that most patients would be against having their sensitive medical information going to another country.  It doesn't seem that Mmodal could even outsource.  Is it because the public doesn't know? ...

Taxed For Outsourcing
May 08, 2013

...to those stiff tax penalties Obama was supposed to levy against companies that outsourced jobs?  If he, in fact, kept his promise, it doesn't seem like Nuance is bothered by it at all. ...