A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

When your hospital out-sources to Nuance.... - curious hospital worker

Posted: Aug 28, 2014

Has anyone worked as an MT for a hospital that decided to go with Nuance for their transcription, and effectively eliminated their in-house transcriptionists?  If you did, and you took a job with Nuance, how did it go?  Did you get to stay on your original hospital account?  Was it an okay switch?  Do you get other awful accounts thrown at you? 

Thanks in advance!

Answers to your questions - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Has anyone worked as an MT for a hospital that decided to go with Nuance for their transcription, and effectively eliminated their in-house transcriptionists? YES. If you did, and you took a job with Nuance, how did it go? TERRIBLY. Did you get to stay on your original hospital account? YES, BUT THEN THE WORK VERY QUICKLY WENT TO INDIA, ONCE WE TRAINED THE SPEECH ENGINE. THEN WE WERE LEFT WITH NO WORK. Was it an okay switch? NO. Do you get other awful accounts thrown at you? YES.

Answers - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Ditto.

Answers - Disgusted

[ In Reply To ..]
I third that. Run anywhere but here.

Adding to above... - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
When you run out of work, you'll be asked very nicely to change your schedule and to learn new accounts so that you won't run out of work. But you still will run out of work because of mismanagement. Essentially, you'll be asked to be available 24/7/365. Oh, and get ready for a huge pay cut.

Answers to above - Sammie

[ In Reply To ..]
Over 50% cut in pay from hospital to Nuance, always out of work, and yes, after we stayed on our accounts from the hospital and got the voice recognition made, out of work on that account -- I had two very good large accounts, now OOW on those too and there is NO WAY those accounts are out of work....where is it going????? I've changed my schedule several times......still OOW. I give up!

The clinic I worked for outsourced to Nuance. - No one accepted the offer of a job at - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance because they already knew better than to accept it.

Some retired, some found jobs in other fields, and others took unemployment when the clinic laid them off. I chose unemployment.

Would you say which hospital? I'm curious if my prior place - has crashed and burned yet. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Your questions - Backwoods Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
In response to your questions:
I also worked (note past tense here) for a hospital chain in VA and they outsourced to N. Those that took a position with Nuance, either by choice or by force, managed to stay on the original account for awhile. After a couple of weeks, we were running OOW, this being an account that kept more than 30 MTs busy. I was put on a secondary account, then onto another primary because I had a hard time with it. I like my primary now, but I regret ever having said I would take another account as primary. I have not been able to make the lines I could with my original account. All in-house MTs were eliminated. Awful accounts doesn't begin to touch it. Some of the dictators you can in no way understand because they are either talking a million miles an hour, scarfing lunch, have the sniffles or decided to dictate in the noisiest room they could find.

If your hospital is about to outsource to N, DO NOT take the job. If you have to take it, be prepared for a huge pay cut. You have to work twice as hard to make less than half of what you did at the hospital and you are the proverbial doormat. Find something else if possible.

Your biggest consideration will be can you live on 1/3 of - what you make now and working

[ In Reply To ..]
twice the time you are now to make that 1/3 (if you are lucky).

I agree, it's a pretty fair assessment of how things will be nm - acuteMLS

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

When your hospital outsources - Jean

[ In Reply To ..]
The MTs who worked at Sonora Regional were offered work with Nuance. Long story short, I've met 2 of the hospital MTs and said they were looking now for other jobs after the Nuance experience.

To newly outsourced to Nuance-save yourself from coming here - Foolfighter

[ In Reply To ..]
Many hospitals that outsource their employees also have the ability to absorb them and move them either laterally or offer re-training. My hospital outsourced to Nuance, 2 came, 3 did not. I regret my move to Nuance. It is managed by alpha-females that have no business in management. You will suffer greatly once you lose your hourly wages and transition to production. RUN, RUN, RUN. I left this company and have never looked back. The out of work will happen, your PTO will never be for vacation but used to make up for lost wages due to not having enough work during your shift. Not having enough work forces you to work off your normal shift to make a paycheck so you never have a consistent schedule. Relay this to all your co-workers and run from this company. You will thank ALL of us that tell you the truth here. Oh, and I am not some bitter old MT that just likes to complain,I am an optimist. I looked at the poor management, poor pay, frequently being out of work, making minimum wage, seeing the truth about never achieving the incentive and quarterly bonuses (recruiting will try to sell you on the incentive and bonus but you will NOT achieve it. They forget to tell you that their QA will stop you at every cost from achieving this, hence Nuance does not have to pay you)and decided I was better than this place and I left. Think long and hard about this decision and good luck to you!

You will make more on unemployment based on - your current employment than

[ In Reply To ..]
you will make here. Do the math :-) The only thing you need to watch out for is if they offer you jobs and you turn it down, you most likely will not qualify for unemployment. They know this too.

I think they can offer all day long but you don't have to accept - Val

[ In Reply To ..]
But check with your unemployment office. In my case, the unemployment office would have no way of knowing whether an offer was made. When MM came in to my hospital, they talked a streak about jobs, but never offered any of us jobs (their visit was an unbelievable waste of time). I already was working for MM part-time and told the other MTs the ugly truth.

When hospital outsourced to Nuance... - Millie

[ In Reply To ..]
No, I stayed for over a year just on the original work, same as I was doing at the hospital, but they made my life hell, so I left without a word.

Similar Messages:

Hospital Job Lost To Nuance
May 28, 2013

We were just told last week that our hospital will be going over to Nuance and that we will have the option to go also as employees of Nuance. We are told that at least we will "still have jobs" and that we will "still be able to work on our own account/doctors from the hospital". Nuance is telling the hospital all sorts of wonderful things, and we are being told very little. Can anyone please tell me what to actually expect? Will we stay on our hospital account? I left a national company t ...

OH NO--hospital Outsourcing To Nuance
Oct 15, 2013

Just heard our hospital is outsourcing 100% to Nuance. They are offering us our hospital pay for a while. Benefits marginal. I've read all the horror stories about them eventually sending all the work offshore and the US MTs making minimum wage doing all the worst dictators. Please tell me this isn't true. I've been with the hospital 16 years and will retire in 2 years. I'm so upset. ...

Nuance Hospital Takeover
Apr 30, 2014

Our hospital transcription department is nearing its demise. We've been expecting it for some time but that time has come. Nuance, of course, is the company that has come in to save the day and graciously offer all of us jobs.  I don't think there's even a chance I would accept such an offer but would love to hear stories from those of you who have gone through this as I know there are many of you. A lot of what I've read on this site is from a couple of years ...

Nuance Taking Over Our Hospital Dictation
Sep 19, 2013

We learned today that our transcription department is being eliminated and Nuance will be taking over. However, Nuance has kindly agreed to offer employment to us, promising that our first choice will be our hospital account. I think they are full of it and are just telling the hospital (and us) what they think we need to hear, and that one should run, and not walk, away from their job offer. Thoughts?  ...

Latest Hospital To Sell Out To Nuance
Nov 07, 2014

I am one of 20 acute care hospital transcriptionists who have just lost our jobs to Nuance.  Boy did they do a sales job on our hospital.  Our hospital refused to give us severance pay using the excuse that they were giving us as "a gift" the opportunity to work with Nuance and that in itself canceled out the severance pay.  Hah!  Most of us have been working for this hospital for 20+ years.  We lost it all -- job, health ...

We Just Found Out Our Hospital Jobs Have Been Outsourced To Nuance.... Sm
Feb 20, 2015

We just found out our hospital jobs are being outsourced to Nuance.  I am really worried.  From the webinar we attended, Nuance said all the right things and it didn't sound too bad, but it sure doesn't mesh with what I'm reading here.  We have to make a decision about whether to go with them or not by next week, and I don't feel like I have all the answers I need yet.  I feel like I'm being pressured.    I want to ask them questions b ...

Q&A Session Before Nuance Takes Over Our Hospital Dictation - Need Advice
Jun 25, 2013

I had posted a while back about Nuance taking over our hospital dictation. We are scheduled to meet with our department heads, HR, and Nuance in July sometime to go over the details of onboarding. Since we are being fed all of the wonderful benefits of being able to just on-board with Nuance and how nice it was of our hospital to think of us by providing us with this opportunity, I would like to ask some very pointed questions to the account executive that will be at this meeting in order to s ...

MT Pay Versus What Nuance Charges Per Line For Hospital Reports
Jun 07, 2014

Does anyone know or maybe even make an educated guess...how much a hospital might pay per line to have Nuance do their reports?  We are guessing somewhere .12 to .15 upwards to .20/line.   Of course they are claiming that this will save them all sorts of money and we'd like to know if they are really going to save as much as they think they are.  Oh...and did I mention that Nuance said they wouldn't be sending anything to anyone who didn't speak English ou ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Hospital Course
Dec 30, 2010

This is part of a hospital course.  Not sure what the heading in bold should be so I gave the whole grouping for context. RESPIRATORY:  No issues.  CARDIAC:  No issues.  IV:  No issues.  HEMATOLOGY/ONCOLOGY:  No issues.  METABOLIC/GASTROINTESTINAL:  Ultrasound on admission was the only ultrasound obtained.  SEN:  Patient was on D5 half-normal saline plus 20 mEq of KCl at 78 mL/hr throughout hospital admission.  On hospit ...

Hospital Job?
May 14, 2011

Just curious if anyone has a remote (long-distance) position with a hospital.  If so, did you have to work inhouse initially before being able to go home or not? My last employer (the current one MTSO I work for stinks so bad I don't even consider them an employer!) was a hospital that was part of a chain.  Of 50 MTs, there was one in Canada, one in Mexico, and one in China.  However, I'm fairy certain that they were Americans who lived locally and then subsequently mov ...

Seriously Hospital
Oct 06, 2014

Why can they not get this hospital to fix this? The only place I notice it is the OR dictations, so that narrows it down doesn't it? And today, is the worst I have heard it in a while.. ...

Cap THE In The Children's Hospital?
Nov 10, 2009

Consequently, we will educate ourselves on this particular disease as well as obtain medical records from the Children's Hospital. ...

Hospital Pay--is This A JOKE?
Dec 30, 2009

Okay, so halfway out of curiosity, I applied to my local hospital, which is a large regional hospital, for an MT job.  They wanted a "seasoned" MT with CMT, who transcribes 250 lines an hour.  Okay, I thought, they might actually compensate better than I think since they have well-defined high standards.  WRONG!  They are offering $11.35 AN HOUR!  What a slap in the face!  You get a whole extra dollar if you work 2nd shift.  What an insult--they just have ...

What Does A Hospital Registrar Do?
Mar 25, 2010

My local hospital is advertising for this position but doesn't say what the duties are.  Just says you need medical terminology experience. ...

Hospital MT Pay Rate?
May 28, 2010

Hi everyone! I have been doing MT from home for about 20 years now.  I have been offered a position at a local hospital doing MT on a per diem basis.  Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of pay to expect?   Thank you. ...

Update On The Hospital Job
Aug 26, 2010

Thanks to everyone who responded and I did call on this job but it was an evening job 3-11 so even though it was 18 bucks an hour that does not work for me have children at home...so back to looking into the MTSO companies and finding the best one out there - if anyone has suggestions let me know ...

Home Vs Hospital
Nov 01, 2010

Was laid off in April.  Have a couple offers from transcription companies, and one from a clinic which is part of a huge school/hospital system in our area, (which actually is through a temp agency).  There are only 2 full-time NP's and a handlful of part-time NP's.  The hospital job is a 45-minute drive, 1-way, in light traffic.  Pay to start is $13, but if this temp goes to permanent, potential is much greater.  The clinic is open M-F, 8-4, closed holidays.&n ...

Getting A Hospital NEVER Received Before, Sm
Jan 11, 2011

Started getting these clinic notes from a hospital definitely not in my region and dictators are not giving out any correct information as to attending or medical record #'s.  what to do when the subjective info on vital signs cannot even be understood at all.  I PRIDE myself on quality work, and have been here at Q for 18 years.  I already took pay cuts, and don't know what to do as QA sup and CCM are not answering, nor is MQMail updated at all.  I am sure they are ...

Hospital Switching To VR
Feb 17, 2011

Have been informed that the hospital where I work inhouse is switching to voice.  Has anyone ever been an employee where this happened?  Is there usually enough work for everyone or have there been layoffs?  ...

Departments In Hospital
Feb 18, 2011

When typing the name of a department in a hospital, do you capitalize it?  Such as: We consulted Pulmonology. ...

Working For A Hospital
Feb 23, 2011

Does anybody out there work at home for a hospital, not a transcription company.  How do they handle the running out of work situation - do they expect you to use your PTO or take it without pay.  Are they more flexible with scheduling - I was hoping for some place that might say you have to work 8 hours a day anytime between say 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.  Do they still pay by the line, and less for speech recognition? ...

Hospital Work
Feb 28, 2011

Anyone out there work for Wellspan in Pennsylvania? ...

Working PRN For Hospital? See Msg.
May 12, 2011

Been doing this at home for 15+ years and going for a job interview to work p.r.n. for a local hospital.  Not sure of the details as of yet but if anyone out there has any input from their own experience on what exactly being an in-house p.r.n. transcriptionist is all about, please share.  Pros, cons, how the scheduling works, etc.  Thanks!  :) ...

Hospital Sitters?
Sep 28, 2011

Does anyone know what a hospital sitter gets paid and what qualifications they need?  Maybe this would be a good thing to get into as we lose more and more opportunities in the MT field.  ...

Contingency Job In Hospital
Jan 19, 2012

Does anyone know how it works if you are hired as contingent in a hospital?  Do you have to have certain hours you are available?  There's a contingent transcription job I'm thinking of applying to just to get my foot in the door at a local hospital, but I work full time elsewhere (still MT), so I wonder if this would work. ...

Hospital Select?
Apr 17, 2012

Patient is in the skilled nursing wing. Doctor dictates that s/l "hospital select has been consulted"- is Hospital Select an organization that needs caps? Hyphens? Does it even exist? Thanks in advance. ...

Hospital Transcription
Sep 06, 2012

Does anyone know of any hospitals in the U.S. currently hiring experienced MTs? I am in need of a good job with benefits that I can do from home. Please e-mail me with your response. Thanks in advance. ...

Working With A New Hospital And
Feb 26, 2013

in the labs, the doctors keep referring to "the CMS" (shows potassium...CO2...ALT...). For the life of me, this old MT cannot figure out what CMS stands for other than the name of a lab, and I don't believe that is it.  Any thoughts? ...