A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

how much longer will this continue? - StellarMT

Posted: Jan 25, 2013

I'm told the low volumes are due to the time of the year. I just don't remember this happening in past years. My time sheet has 10-15 entries by the time of the day - this is nuts. Can't take no pay, can't use up all my PTO in a week. Seriously, what are we supposed to do?

How much longer will this continue? - MTME

[ In Reply To ..]
It will last as long as your work for that company! Again, cannot state strongly enough to quit MM and look elsewhere; anywhere has to be better and even if it isn't, it isn't MM!

I am told to work 2nd into 3rd shift - and all will be fine

[ In Reply To ..]
So, I am going to do just that. Sorry 2nd and 3rd shifts. A girl has gotta eat.

That's okay, I will start working days then - No work 2nd shift/weekends

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

how much longer? - alice

[ In Reply To ..]
Got an e-mail from my abbreviation this morning saying that she knows it has been low for quite some time, but never fever, the MModal analyst has said that it will pick up soon!. LMAO. I guess his crystal ball is busted or cloudy.

Go ahead... then you can have my check - ZERO

[ In Reply To ..]
Have fun.

I work second/third shift and am now running out. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I never ran out until this week. So am just so pleased that everyone is being moved to late shift. Brilliant.

No problem. I have no work at 8pm, 11pm, - midnight, 2am, 3am, 4am.

[ In Reply To ..]
So go for it. You can take the work, if there is any because I have not had any since October. I am lucky if I get 5 reports.

I think this is pretty much - the new normal.

[ In Reply To ..]
Every day we get a message from someone about how low the work is and how it will pick up eventually. This has been going on for months now, no effort to even blame it on holiday, season, day of week, moon phase, whatever.

I have not completely run out of work yet, but often start my day with no work and have to wait a few minutes before a few bits of trash start blowing in from all over the place, mostly incomprehensible, bad sound, usually typing jobs only a few seconds long which I always have to send to QA.

At least now I have something I can work on at my desk while waiting, and use MModal for their insurance and anything else I can milk out of them. I would advise anyone else to find something like this and just suck the benefits out of Mmodal while working somewhere else. I really don't think they'll be in business in this country much longer anyway.

benefits? - StellarMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Will MM still pay for benefits even if we don't get our 40 hours in? May I ask where else you work? You said at least now you have something you can work on at your desk.

What I am - doing...

[ In Reply To ..]
A couple of months ago I obtained my state life insurance producer license and recently have added health, disability and Medicare supplement licenses as well. My original plan was to sell final needs, but I'm enjoying it so much I'm trying to branch out a bit.

These licenses don't require years of study or tons of money to get, but once you get the licenses you can go out as an independent or what I did, get contracted with a company that considers you a 1099 employee but provides leads, training and a suite of products to sell. I was contacted by a couple other big name companies that wanted to hire me full time, but I am still a bit nervous about stepping out as a full time sales person, even though some of them have good benefits and good sales incentives such as trips, etc.

What I do now is continue to work at MM mostly for the insurance and other bennies, and (now fairly small) paycheck, and during any down time I make at least a few calls to set appointments. I've haven't sold every appointment I've made (just getting started and a lot to learn), but I love it so far.

Most of my clients treat me as a professional and are eager to hear what I have to say and I feel good about helping them. When I am on calls I have to look good, act personable, be positive and always ready to learn even from the bad... so much different than feeling like a worthless roach crushed under the boots of these horrible MT companies.

Anyway since things are going so well, I hope to transition from MT to more full time insurance by the spring. I feel like I am finally becoming the person I was meant to be before I got tangled in the dead end mess that used to be MT. This may not be for everyone, but definitely an alternative to being relegated to a check out clerk or 10 dollar an hour office drone.

Anyway, not sure about whether they would take your benefits away from you if you couldn't make 40 hours because they couldn't provide work. The way I see it, it's the least they can do if you are fulfilling your end of the bargain. I am on their clock the 40 hours I'm scheduled, work or no work and refuse to flex, but I think it has more to do with production than hours. I have never made so little (yet) that my insurance is not paid for, but the bottom seems to be slowly dropping out of my Mmodal paycheck (last pay period I made less than 500 bucks... Yikes!)

Use my time wisely too - North MT

[ In Reply To ..]
While I sit here I use the time in between jobs to do my school work. I use my laptop to do the reading, posting to the class, listening to lectures, etc. It is amazing how those 5-10 minute increments add up. I still sit at my desk with DocQscribe open so if anything comes in I punch in and work, but then when it dries up again I just punch out and continue with school work. Not the ideal situation, but the thought of having to make up hours and get the school work done when I am supposedly done with my shift is overwhelming. So if they want me to babysit the computer I will but I am also working towards a future where they are not a part of it.

Just out of curiosity what are you in school for? - CK5 (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
human resources - North MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Finishing up my degree.

Similar Messages:

May Have To Continue Being An MT
Jun 09, 2010

I really wanted to get out of the MT business, but I am having NO luck finding a job in another field, and now my marriage is breaking up and I have no financial security.  Is there ANY company out there worth working for anymore as an MT? ...

Way Above 98 And Told I Should Continue..
Jun 21, 2012

to strive for the 99%.  It did not matter I had 98.8. and there have been times I was over 99%  They are out of their freakin minds.  I wonder who in this world is perfect at their job. ...

The Answer Is NO. You Will Still Continue To
Oct 15, 2012

nm ...

NO Pay Increases, Continue On The Same,
Oct 15, 2012

nm ...

The Beatings Will Continue
Apr 07, 2015

Get with the program! ...

To Continue My Vent About QA, Why Do They Feel They Have To
May 12, 2012

treat us rudely?  I get rudeness all the time from my QA.  I am about to tell them about it.  Look, I am trying.  I am not making mistakes to mess up your day!!! ...

Need Advice-Continue MT Or Quit
Jun 07, 2012

I've been an MT for over 20 years.  Have had my own clients in Rhematology for the past 12 years, been working at home for 15 years.  Clients have switched to point-and-click and VR except for one who is Lebanese and hates the point-and-click and can't do VR.  So, I started working for a great company doing ENT, but pay is 8 cents/line, quite the cut, but good dictators.  They might soon be going to VR.  I live in a small town and really don't want to work ...

I Just Can't Get Over These Stupid People. They Continue To
Jun 23, 2015

alienate the workers and the workers keep leaving.  The company could save a whole lot of $$ by eliminating the scheduler position as well as the crazy auditors!  Who thinks up this stuff. ...

ID Consult- Patient Will Continue Vancomycin And S/l Ree-pen-in
May 25, 2010

x ...

Eye Opener.....okay So I Was Thinking, I Could Either Continue To Work At MQ Or
Jul 21, 2011

or go get another job out of MT completely (not convinced any other company is much better).....I was thinking, well, what else am I qualified for?  I guess I could waitress (never done before though), but Ihop has an ad for a waitress, waitress exp. not nec.  I thought, argh, what can they possibly make, prob just minimum wage and lots of work and would I even be up to it?  Come to find out that waitresses at Ihop around here (California) make minimum wage (8/hr) plus tips.  ...

For Anyone That Works On EMRs Or Epic, Do You Still Continue
Aug 14, 2012

to work in your regular platform such as DQS or do you have to download an entirely new system to work in a hospital EMR.  My hospital is on DQS and going to EMR or Epic so I am not sure if that means all my short cuts etc are gone or we continue somehow to use both systems.  I doubt you can use short cuts in EMR but again I have no idea and I dont think you can move your short cuts out of DQS to another system and again I dont know.  Seems like I dont know much this morning at al ...

Thunder Storms - Continue To Work?
Jul 15, 2014

I've heard you shouldn't use your computer or phone during a thunder storm.  What do you do?  Stop working until it's over, or continue working and ignore the thunder and lightning? ...

What Ways Can I Continue To Grow In Skills After Graduating?
Jul 13, 2010

Hello fellow MT's! I am almost finished with my MT course, and I would like some counsel from everyone on their experiences with continuing education after graduation. First I am going to go for my RMT as recommended by the ADHI. What tools and resources did you use that helped? Which ones do you recommend? Has anyone gotten a degree to enhance their knowledge, and if so, what degree? I have recently been discharged after 8 yrs in the Army and I have been studying in my ...

I Find It Baffling That An MTSO Would Continue To Send Out Sm
Mar 22, 2013

pleas for help on an account when she has not paid her employees. I cannot speak for everyone, but as for me, no pay equals no work. I realize it is not the client's fault as I am sure they paid their bill, so I do feel bad on that side, but on the other hand, only a fool keeps on working while someone dangles that carrot with the possibility they might be paid sometime. Ugh. ...

No Longer With MM
Jun 27, 2015

I am so thankful that I am no longer with MM.  I quit in May and it is the best decision I have made in a very long time.   I got so tired of the unreasonable hours, the constant changing of hours/days.  I got tired of the threats about quality (which is definitely unrealistic), then you get the threats about not having enough lines.  I don't have to tell all of you what  a terrible journey it is with MM.  It is the kiss of death and it will never be any b ...

I Can't Wait Any Longer!!!
Apr 19, 2010

Okay! I've had enough.  I was going to hang in longer but I am now being Aggressive and sending my resume out!  I won't be doing MT work anymore -- that's for sure!  Perhaps working at the local community college if not for the government.  At this point, I don't really care what I do because anything is better than this!  WooHoo!  It's a AHAA movement for me.  It won't be long now.  Best of luck to those who chose to stay wit ...

Are We No Longer Getting Break Pay?
Aug 17, 2012

I noticed today that the break pay section of the timesheet was gone today and when I clocked off a minute ago after working for 7 hours that in the "break" box, it said 0.00, when usually it would be 0.33.  Anyone know?  I know it's not a lot of money, but I usually get about 3 hours per pay period and about $30.  I would hate to lose that, cause every dollar counts. ...

I Cannot Do This Any Longer, Having Points Taken Off Because
Mar 06, 2014

of leaving out the word "a", this is ridiculous. Whenever I think about quitting I feel happy; whenever I think about working I feel sad, micromanaged. Life is TOO short. Just my short rant. ...

I Am No Longer A MT- Tomorrow Will
Sep 30, 2014

my new life of not dealing with trying to produce a medical report for a MTSO to look good and make profit.  How things have changed in the medical world and it is getting ulgier by the day.  The demands put on MTs are totally unreasonable.  I am walking away because of retirement and I am thankful I can.  I honestly do not know if I could survive under the stress of trying to produce perfection for such minimal pay and know that a MTSO is making as much as me for each line I ...

I Think I'll Stay In Transcription For A Bit Longer
May 03, 2010

I seriously considered bagging transcription.  But as my child comes in and gives me hugs and my teenage daughter asks what I think of something, I am glad I am available even though the money is not happening. ...

Finally, No Longer An MT! Yippy
Jul 29, 2011

I have been looking for a job in the medical field in my city for nearly a year because I am soooooo tired of being an MT.  Finally, I got a new job today!  I am so fortunate as I live in a smaller town and there aren't many health care related jobs here.  In two weeks I will start my new job as a claims examiner I have experience doing this years ago).  Yippy!  M-F 8-5, health insurance is free for employees, paid holidays, paid vacation, and steady work!  To ...

Done I Will No Longer Search For Old Reports To See What Your Saying
Mar 08, 2012

Dont care who gets the reports to fix them but Im done..Takes too long to look in docqmanage to figure out who algekafhj, PAC is...too long to find you exact wording for your stupid closures...I am convinced that as long as we send them through QA and the doctor himself doesnt have to fix it, IT WILL NEVER CHANGE...Slow their day down a bit, they dont seem to mind slowing my money down... ...

While I Do Not Work For Transcend Any Longer, I Did
May 13, 2012

contact them about my current company.  I told them there is not a company out there that pays decent wages and I am lucky to bring home $150 a week currently.  Maybe we can get ALL these MTSOs to pay decent wages!  Finally! ...

I Am No Longer Going To Blame Myself As My MTSO Does
May 16, 2012

for lousy dictators!!  I am just fed up with being blamed for the dictator's inability to speak fluently.  I am just NOT going to blame myself any longer, nor am I going to shoulder the blame from the MTSO.  I am going to tell them talk to the doctors and I do not want to hear it again! ...

I Would Like To Do A Search... Is That Option No Longer Available? Nm
Aug 24, 2012

nm ...

My TL No Longer Shows Up On My Comagent
Nov 16, 2012

I just noticed today that my TL no longer shows up on my comagent.  I always keep it open on my desktop and can tell who is on and who isn't and her name is always there regardless of whether she is working or not and then today all of a sudden her name is gone.  Very strange.  Her email address still shows up though ...

Shorthand No Longer Being Provided
Dec 05, 2012

The Web/Nuance part has been told next year we have to buy our own Shorthand license.  I know Transcend downloaded for me (and am still using at my PT job) shorthand licensed to MDI way back when.  Will we get to keep that?  If part of Nuance (Trans/Nuance) gets to have it provided free I would think they could figure a way to let the rest of us have it also.  ...

No Longer Wasting My Time
Feb 11, 2013

Trying to figure out what you are saying by going through older reports..Speak correctly and normally and we will all get along much better...If I cant train ASR, and I cant, then Im gonna try and train the doctors..I crack myself up, they cant be trained either. Enjoy the blanks guys and gals.. ...

M2 Does Not Allow Posts On Their Page Any Longer
Aug 26, 2013

after all the comments about the layoffs I guess they decided to nix that option all togehter.  you can comment on their posts/pictures but not write on their page.  ...

Win XP No Longer HIPAA Compliant?
Jan 13, 2014

This was in the ad on the Job Seekers board for Rad/Onc MLS for SmartType: "Windows XP is no longer HIPAA complaint [sp] and no longer supported by Microsoft" Has anyone else heard about this and if so, why is it no longer HIPAA compliant? ...