A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Win XP No Longer HIPAA Compliant? - Rose

Posted: Jan 13, 2014

This was in the ad on the Job Seekers board for Rad/Onc MLS for SmartType: "Windows XP is no longer HIPAA complaint [sp] and no longer supported by Microsoft"

Has anyone else heard about this and if so, why is it no longer HIPAA compliant?

Windows XP - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
More than likely because XP is no longer being supported by Microsoft. You will not be able to download updates, etc., therefore with the updates required, you would not be able to update the software that this required by SmartDoc.

correction to my post about Tiger Direct - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I meant to say "8 GB ram."

Officially in April 2014 MS is no longer supporting XP - The Typing Dead

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know what that has to do with HIPAA, but there will be no more updates to protect from new viruses, etc.

I brought it up to my supervisor to get a Win7 but no one here at Mickey Mouse seems to give a rodent's behind about it.

I'M WONDERING IF XP SYSTEMS WILL BE NON-COMPLIANT - BECAUSE THEY WILL NO LONGER BE SECURE

[ In Reply To ..]
Systems Running Windows XP Will No Longer Be HIPAA-compliant
Here is a crucial bit of information for any health-care providers out there: if you̢۪re running Windows XP on your machine, you won̢۪t be HIPAA-compliant after April 8th, 2014. That is the date that Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP, an operating system that̢۪s been around since 2001. There won̢۪t be any more security patches or support options after the above date, leaving any system open to new exploits. Here are a few links discussing this in more detail:

Running Windows XP means you are non-compliant and open to liability – TechRepublic

The Risk of Running Windows XP After Support Ends – Microsoft Security Blog

Microsoft warns Windows XP users risk ‘zero day forever’ – ZDNet.com

Yeah, same with - Nuance

[ In Reply To ..]
I questioned a tech person and they were very mum. Hmmmm, I wonder if they will now make us use our own computer and must have Windows 7?

I cannot imagine Nuance forking out for anything for us MTs, they just want to take, take, take from us so I would not imagine they are going to provide the upgrade.

they wont. wouldn't even upgrade my N owned computer to go to eScription - I had to buy my own memory upgrade. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

In that vein, just did the upgrade today - and if you postpone it, do.

[ In Reply To ..]
It has made my computer incredibly slow and clunky and now I have to no doubt have a long call to tech if I can get through. Great.

Re: XP - Linda J.

[ In Reply To ..]
The tech I use had me upgrade to Windows 7 for this very reason. And no, I do not work for N.

It's true, Rose - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
A lot (maybe all) of companies are requiring Windows 7 now. Some will accept Vista. When I bought my new (refurbished) PC, I went through Tiger Direct. You won't be able to buy a brand new PC with Windows 7 unless you pay extra for Windows 7. New PCs are made with Windows 8, which doesn't work with most MT platforms. Tiger Direct is a reputable company. I bought a refurbished PC with Windows 7 and GB ram. When I received it, I took it to our local family-owned computer repair shop, and they transferred all of my files from the XP over to the new PC.

Not entirely true - Anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
If you want Windows 7, try Dell. They are still selling new Windows 7 desktops (unsure about laptops) and you do not have to pay extra for Windows 7. You also don't need to take your PC to the shop to transfer the files; purchase a transfer cable and do it yourself. One thing that is true; XP is history; don't spend any more money doing upgrades on it.

XP to Win7 - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
I have had two XP laptops converted to Win7. Most computers have the capacity to at least double their RAM, so many XP machines can be successfully converted to Win7. It is not always necessary to buy a new computer.

Tiger Direct - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
I use Tiger Direct and can vouch for them!

Same here. Very good experience. nm - MT57

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Thanks for all the input. (nm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Windows XP No Longer HIPAA Compliant?
Feb 25, 2014

That's just great-- who can afford a new computer?   Time to give up MT altogether. ...

HIPAA Compliant?
Apr 23, 2014

From what I am hearing, if you have an XP computer, you are not HIPAA compliant. It violates regulatory requirements. Then why is MM not supplying us with Windows 7? My XP computer they gave me was freezing up, so they sent me another XP. I asked them why they didn't send me Windows 7 and they said XP was cheaper. So now as of April 8, they are not HIPAA compliant. I would like to know how they get around this,,,,,,having many accounts and still having many employees submitting reports u ...

HIPAA Compliant Email
Nov 23, 2010

The doctor's office is switching to digital. We are trying to find HIPAA complaint email or some  other way to transfer the voice files. Any suggestions? Thanks! ...

Kind Of Hardware / Software I Need To Be Compliant With HIPAA
Aug 24, 2010

I'm just starting out (just received my diploma from transcription courses), and want to know what kind of hardware / software I need to be compliant with HIPAA regulations. Any help would be appreciated. ...

FTP (file Transfer Protocol) HIPAA Compliant?
Oct 19, 2011

Hello, my doc is finally going digital after three years of begging him to! His files are too large to email to me, and so I found I need to set up an FTP, and FileZilla was recommended, since it is HIPPA compliant. Does anyone have any experience setting this up? I am good at figuring things out, but this is driving me crazy and taking forever! Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!   ...

HIPAA - Need A Quick Check On HIPAA Rules
Oct 29, 2009

Hi, I need a quick check on HIPAA rules.  With respect to the health care debate, I want to write to my senator, etc., about a situation with a patient I transcribed on.  The only info. I intend to give is that the patient was a:  Russian immigrant, on welfare and receiving Medicaid benefits--when he should not have.  He and his "sponsor(s)" was responsible for his care and living expenses.  Further, I transcribed a note in which the doctor said that this patient wanted to re-sched ...

HIPPA Compliant Site
Jun 26, 2010

Could somebody explain what this  means to me and also tell me what this would entail so that I would have some idea if I had a compliant site or not? Thanks ...

HIPPA Compliant Email
Jul 31, 2014

What is a good HIPPA complaint email? Other than email, how do you send work to clients if not using an TASP? Thanks, Cathy ...

No Longer With MM
Jun 27, 2015

I am so thankful that I am no longer with MM.  I quit in May and it is the best decision I have made in a very long time.   I got so tired of the unreasonable hours, the constant changing of hours/days.  I got tired of the threats about quality (which is definitely unrealistic), then you get the threats about not having enough lines.  I don't have to tell all of you what  a terrible journey it is with MM.  It is the kiss of death and it will never be any b ...

I Can't Wait Any Longer!!!
Apr 19, 2010

Okay! I've had enough.  I was going to hang in longer but I am now being Aggressive and sending my resume out!  I won't be doing MT work anymore -- that's for sure!  Perhaps working at the local community college if not for the government.  At this point, I don't really care what I do because anything is better than this!  WooHoo!  It's a AHAA movement for me.  It won't be long now.  Best of luck to those who chose to stay wit ...

Are We No Longer Getting Break Pay?
Aug 17, 2012

I noticed today that the break pay section of the timesheet was gone today and when I clocked off a minute ago after working for 7 hours that in the "break" box, it said 0.00, when usually it would be 0.33.  Anyone know?  I know it's not a lot of money, but I usually get about 3 hours per pay period and about $30.  I would hate to lose that, cause every dollar counts. ...

How Much Longer Will This Continue?
Jan 25, 2013

I'm told the low volumes are due to the time of the year. I just don't remember this happening in past years. My time sheet has 10-15 entries by the time of the day - this is nuts. Can't take no pay, can't use up all my PTO in a week. Seriously, what are we supposed to do? ...

I Cannot Do This Any Longer, Having Points Taken Off Because
Mar 06, 2014

of leaving out the word "a", this is ridiculous. Whenever I think about quitting I feel happy; whenever I think about working I feel sad, micromanaged. Life is TOO short. Just my short rant. ...

I Am No Longer A MT- Tomorrow Will
Sep 30, 2014

my new life of not dealing with trying to produce a medical report for a MTSO to look good and make profit.  How things have changed in the medical world and it is getting ulgier by the day.  The demands put on MTs are totally unreasonable.  I am walking away because of retirement and I am thankful I can.  I honestly do not know if I could survive under the stress of trying to produce perfection for such minimal pay and know that a MTSO is making as much as me for each line I ...

I Think I'll Stay In Transcription For A Bit Longer
May 03, 2010

I seriously considered bagging transcription.  But as my child comes in and gives me hugs and my teenage daughter asks what I think of something, I am glad I am available even though the money is not happening. ...

Finally, No Longer An MT! Yippy
Jul 29, 2011

I have been looking for a job in the medical field in my city for nearly a year because I am soooooo tired of being an MT.  Finally, I got a new job today!  I am so fortunate as I live in a smaller town and there aren't many health care related jobs here.  In two weeks I will start my new job as a claims examiner I have experience doing this years ago).  Yippy!  M-F 8-5, health insurance is free for employees, paid holidays, paid vacation, and steady work!  To ...

Done I Will No Longer Search For Old Reports To See What Your Saying
Mar 08, 2012

Dont care who gets the reports to fix them but Im done..Takes too long to look in docqmanage to figure out who algekafhj, PAC is...too long to find you exact wording for your stupid closures...I am convinced that as long as we send them through QA and the doctor himself doesnt have to fix it, IT WILL NEVER CHANGE...Slow their day down a bit, they dont seem to mind slowing my money down... ...

While I Do Not Work For Transcend Any Longer, I Did
May 13, 2012

contact them about my current company.  I told them there is not a company out there that pays decent wages and I am lucky to bring home $150 a week currently.  Maybe we can get ALL these MTSOs to pay decent wages!  Finally! ...

I Am No Longer Going To Blame Myself As My MTSO Does
May 16, 2012

for lousy dictators!!  I am just fed up with being blamed for the dictator's inability to speak fluently.  I am just NOT going to blame myself any longer, nor am I going to shoulder the blame from the MTSO.  I am going to tell them talk to the doctors and I do not want to hear it again! ...

I Would Like To Do A Search... Is That Option No Longer Available? Nm
Aug 24, 2012

nm ...

My TL No Longer Shows Up On My Comagent
Nov 16, 2012

I just noticed today that my TL no longer shows up on my comagent.  I always keep it open on my desktop and can tell who is on and who isn't and her name is always there regardless of whether she is working or not and then today all of a sudden her name is gone.  Very strange.  Her email address still shows up though ...

Shorthand No Longer Being Provided
Dec 05, 2012

The Web/Nuance part has been told next year we have to buy our own Shorthand license.  I know Transcend downloaded for me (and am still using at my PT job) shorthand licensed to MDI way back when.  Will we get to keep that?  If part of Nuance (Trans/Nuance) gets to have it provided free I would think they could figure a way to let the rest of us have it also.  ...

No Longer Wasting My Time
Feb 11, 2013

Trying to figure out what you are saying by going through older reports..Speak correctly and normally and we will all get along much better...If I cant train ASR, and I cant, then Im gonna try and train the doctors..I crack myself up, they cant be trained either. Enjoy the blanks guys and gals.. ...

M2 Does Not Allow Posts On Their Page Any Longer
Aug 26, 2013

after all the comments about the layoffs I guess they decided to nix that option all togehter.  you can comment on their posts/pictures but not write on their page.  ...

Can No Longer Pull Up Old Reports In Dep?
Jun 23, 2014

I went in to try and get an old report from DEP and all I can get is job submission stuff..anyone else? I rely pretty heavily on being able to pull up previous reports for crazy terms and this 30-day limit in Fluency is not cutting it. ...

Does Precyse Typically Take Longer Than The
Aug 21, 2014

24 to 48 hours to respond to you about testing results?  I took the test Tuesday morning and am waiting on pins and needles. ...

No Longer Surprised But Always Still Upset--sm
Nov 06, 2014

Yes, I have seen this enough times that it no longer surprises me.  There were 18 reports on my primary.  I have an hour left of my shift.  When I anticipated downloading the next one, all 18 were gone, gone, gone.  It is upsetting.  I would try adjusting my schedule but it would do no good, there normally is too little work during that time as it is.  I already will be taking about 3 hours of PTO for being OOW on Sunday.  It would be 4 but I have made up some ...

LE No Longer Works For Nuance.
Jun 12, 2015

x ...

I No Longer Work For Keystrokes But Waiting On W2 (sm)
Jan 30, 2011

I know they have until tomorrow - but just wondering if current employees already have theirs - so I can contact company by 1st.  By the way, I loved working for them, just had a change in personal situation.  ...

Lines -  It Takes Me Hours Longer To Get What I Used To Get
Nov 08, 2012

Is anyone else having trouble achieving their daily goal since all the work has been pooled together here at Nuance?  It takes me hours longer to get what I used to get. ...