A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Shorthand no longer being provided - nn

Posted: Dec 05, 2012

The Web/Nuance part has been told next year we have to buy our own Shorthand license.  I know Transcend downloaded for me (and am still using at my PT job) shorthand licensed to MDI way back when.  Will we get to keep that?  If part of Nuance (Trans/Nuance) gets to have it provided free I would think they could figure a way to let the rest of us have it also. 

You won't need it with 99% VR anyway, unfortunately. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Have to disagree with not needing ShortHand because of VR. sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I use my ShortHand constantly. VR is so bad have to retype much of it anyway!

ShortHand licenses are not expensive. You can get a 1-year license for less than $30 if I recall.

Most certainly DO need Shorthand with VR! - And not just for retyping

[ In Reply To ..]
And yes, Transcend DID used to provide ShortHAND, version 8 point something, and they stopped I think less than a year ago, something to do with the licensing.

I used to teach classes in Shorthand tips and tricks for editing, and just a couple of my tricks, fully implemented, could increase some people's editing speed by at least 25 percent. I knew VR was here to stay, and either I was going to make it work for me or find something else to do with my life, so I made it work for me. And Shorthand has been a HUGE part of that.

An e-mail said ?27% still don't use an expander, which - shocked me. 27% cannot be Olympic speed keyers.nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Transcend used to provide Shortcuts for Windows in - past not Shorthand. No longer provide it.

[ In Reply To ..]
no msg

Similar Messages:

I Have A Shorthand Icon On My MModal Provided Computer Desktop...
Apr 01, 2013

It says it is a trail version though.  Did everyone pay for their own word expander or did MModal provide it?  I'm wondering why they put Shorthand on desktop and then we have to pay for it.  ...

Equipment Provided?
Jul 21, 2014

Are there any employers that furnish the necssary hardware anymore?  ...

For Those Of You With Computers Provided By Your Company SM
Nov 02, 2009

Hi there - i work for a hospital but we were sent home to type 1 year ago. Now my Norton's antivirus is up I was just told by the director of our department that I have to pay for the subscription myself ($45!) and then be reimbursed by the hospital....is this the way it is done?  Seems to me it is a little iffy - just wanted some opinions....thanks! ...

Medquist Provided Computer?
Jan 16, 2010

Does Medquist still provide a computer to transcriptionists.  If so, is there a rental fee or deposit fee?  Also,  is this only for full-time or also for part-time?  Thanks! ...

Reduce Services Provided?
May 21, 2012

Those of us working from .07 to .08 cents per line with a service are making .03 cents per line less than we made 25 years ago. How many of you have reduced the services you used to do for clients to compensate for this gross reduction in wages? Is that an option? Should we stop doing ANYTHING but pounding the keyboard, afterall, that is all was get paid for. The rest of our services are unpaid: research, verifying patient data, keeping spreadsheets for the client, phone calls, installing so ...

Antivirus Provided By Company
Oct 10, 2014

Does anyone know if iMedX installs tracking software under the guise of an antivirus program on employees personal computers when hired?  ...

Which Pays Better? IC Or Employee With Equipment Provided?
Mar 30, 2010

I've got several options out there.  I was with MQ/TL for 12 years.   Transcription experience 25 years.  I'm getting a little freaked out about learning a new platform.  I don't even know Microsoft Word!  I did manage to muddle through it to type a new resume though.  Not too hard.  How much should an IC charge per line to cover taxes, expenses?  Any IC advice would be helpful.  Thanks. ...

If A Company Has Provided You With Equipment, When You Quit, Sm
Oct 27, 2014

do they hold your final check until they receive the equipment? My payday is supposed to be Friday and they were supposed to send me the tags to send back the equipment, but I have not received them yet, and I am thinking I will maybe not be paid on Friday if they have not received the equipment. TIA ...

Company Provided Computer Other Than MM And Nuance? Precyse Not Hiring Now.
Jul 18, 2014

Nuance not paying me enough to afford my own computer.   ...

No Longer With MM
Jun 27, 2015

I am so thankful that I am no longer with MM.  I quit in May and it is the best decision I have made in a very long time.   I got so tired of the unreasonable hours, the constant changing of hours/days.  I got tired of the threats about quality (which is definitely unrealistic), then you get the threats about not having enough lines.  I don't have to tell all of you what  a terrible journey it is with MM.  It is the kiss of death and it will never be any b ...

I Can't Wait Any Longer!!!
Apr 19, 2010

Okay! I've had enough.  I was going to hang in longer but I am now being Aggressive and sending my resume out!  I won't be doing MT work anymore -- that's for sure!  Perhaps working at the local community college if not for the government.  At this point, I don't really care what I do because anything is better than this!  WooHoo!  It's a AHAA movement for me.  It won't be long now.  Best of luck to those who chose to stay wit ...

Are We No Longer Getting Break Pay?
Aug 17, 2012

I noticed today that the break pay section of the timesheet was gone today and when I clocked off a minute ago after working for 7 hours that in the "break" box, it said 0.00, when usually it would be 0.33.  Anyone know?  I know it's not a lot of money, but I usually get about 3 hours per pay period and about $30.  I would hate to lose that, cause every dollar counts. ...

How Much Longer Will This Continue?
Jan 25, 2013

I'm told the low volumes are due to the time of the year. I just don't remember this happening in past years. My time sheet has 10-15 entries by the time of the day - this is nuts. Can't take no pay, can't use up all my PTO in a week. Seriously, what are we supposed to do? ...

I Cannot Do This Any Longer, Having Points Taken Off Because
Mar 06, 2014

of leaving out the word "a", this is ridiculous. Whenever I think about quitting I feel happy; whenever I think about working I feel sad, micromanaged. Life is TOO short. Just my short rant. ...

I Am No Longer A MT- Tomorrow Will
Sep 30, 2014

my new life of not dealing with trying to produce a medical report for a MTSO to look good and make profit.  How things have changed in the medical world and it is getting ulgier by the day.  The demands put on MTs are totally unreasonable.  I am walking away because of retirement and I am thankful I can.  I honestly do not know if I could survive under the stress of trying to produce perfection for such minimal pay and know that a MTSO is making as much as me for each line I ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

I Think I'll Stay In Transcription For A Bit Longer
May 03, 2010

I seriously considered bagging transcription.  But as my child comes in and gives me hugs and my teenage daughter asks what I think of something, I am glad I am available even though the money is not happening. ...

Finally, No Longer An MT! Yippy
Jul 29, 2011

I have been looking for a job in the medical field in my city for nearly a year because I am soooooo tired of being an MT.  Finally, I got a new job today!  I am so fortunate as I live in a smaller town and there aren't many health care related jobs here.  In two weeks I will start my new job as a claims examiner I have experience doing this years ago).  Yippy!  M-F 8-5, health insurance is free for employees, paid holidays, paid vacation, and steady work!  To ...

Done I Will No Longer Search For Old Reports To See What Your Saying
Mar 08, 2012

Dont care who gets the reports to fix them but Im done..Takes too long to look in docqmanage to figure out who algekafhj, PAC is...too long to find you exact wording for your stupid closures...I am convinced that as long as we send them through QA and the doctor himself doesnt have to fix it, IT WILL NEVER CHANGE...Slow their day down a bit, they dont seem to mind slowing my money down... ...

While I Do Not Work For Transcend Any Longer, I Did
May 13, 2012

contact them about my current company.  I told them there is not a company out there that pays decent wages and I am lucky to bring home $150 a week currently.  Maybe we can get ALL these MTSOs to pay decent wages!  Finally! ...

I Am No Longer Going To Blame Myself As My MTSO Does
May 16, 2012

for lousy dictators!!  I am just fed up with being blamed for the dictator's inability to speak fluently.  I am just NOT going to blame myself any longer, nor am I going to shoulder the blame from the MTSO.  I am going to tell them talk to the doctors and I do not want to hear it again! ...

I Would Like To Do A Search... Is That Option No Longer Available? Nm
Aug 24, 2012

nm ...

My TL No Longer Shows Up On My Comagent
Nov 16, 2012

I just noticed today that my TL no longer shows up on my comagent.  I always keep it open on my desktop and can tell who is on and who isn't and her name is always there regardless of whether she is working or not and then today all of a sudden her name is gone.  Very strange.  Her email address still shows up though ...

No Longer Wasting My Time
Feb 11, 2013

Trying to figure out what you are saying by going through older reports..Speak correctly and normally and we will all get along much better...If I cant train ASR, and I cant, then Im gonna try and train the doctors..I crack myself up, they cant be trained either. Enjoy the blanks guys and gals.. ...

M2 Does Not Allow Posts On Their Page Any Longer
Aug 26, 2013

after all the comments about the layoffs I guess they decided to nix that option all togehter.  you can comment on their posts/pictures but not write on their page.  ...

Win XP No Longer HIPAA Compliant?
Jan 13, 2014

This was in the ad on the Job Seekers board for Rad/Onc MLS for SmartType: "Windows XP is no longer HIPAA complaint [sp] and no longer supported by Microsoft" Has anyone else heard about this and if so, why is it no longer HIPAA compliant? ...

Can No Longer Pull Up Old Reports In Dep?
Jun 23, 2014

I went in to try and get an old report from DEP and all I can get is job submission stuff..anyone else? I rely pretty heavily on being able to pull up previous reports for crazy terms and this 30-day limit in Fluency is not cutting it. ...

Does Precyse Typically Take Longer Than The
Aug 21, 2014

24 to 48 hours to respond to you about testing results?  I took the test Tuesday morning and am waiting on pins and needles. ...

No Longer Surprised But Always Still Upset--sm
Nov 06, 2014

Yes, I have seen this enough times that it no longer surprises me.  There were 18 reports on my primary.  I have an hour left of my shift.  When I anticipated downloading the next one, all 18 were gone, gone, gone.  It is upsetting.  I would try adjusting my schedule but it would do no good, there normally is too little work during that time as it is.  I already will be taking about 3 hours of PTO for being OOW on Sunday.  It would be 4 but I have made up some ...

LE No Longer Works For Nuance.
Jun 12, 2015

x ...