A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Thunder storms - continue to work? - scaredy cat

Posted: Jul 15, 2014

I've heard you shouldn't use your computer or phone during a thunder storm.  What do you do?  Stop working until it's over, or continue working and ignore the thunder and lightning?

I stop working - Scaredy Cat II

[ In Reply To ..]
I won't take a chance on getting fried through my headset.

I shut it all down and unplug. - Scaredy Cat II

[ In Reply To ..]
My priority is to protect the equipment I use (computer, transcriber, etc.) because if it gets hit and/or fried, I cannot work. MTSO is NOT going to pay for repair/replacement unless it is their equipment.

not scared of any old thunderstorm - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I just carry on and the worst that's ever happened was the power went off, but my job was saved when I got back in. Never had lightening come through the headphones or anything like that.

I guess not, because you are - still alive.

[ In Reply To ..]

NM

Thunderstorms - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
All my transcription equipment is plugged into a UPS (uninterrupted power source/battery backup) and surge protector. Supposedly this should protect the equipment; maybe it has over the years already...no way of knowing for sure, I guess. Still, if the skies turn black, I hit the circuit breaker for my entire office and wait it out.

Lightning - annymouse

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't hesitate any more.. unplug....after losing 3 main boards/computers in 3 years due to lightning, (luckily had computer insurance, but still had down time).

You Are Correct - But..

[ In Reply To ..]
Those of us who live in heavy lightning areas for several months out of the year, may as well just not work on the computer. I live in SW Florida. Florida is the lightening capital of the world (or at least the U.S), and I would not be able to work the entire summer if I turned off every time.

That being said, I don't know what else to say. If your T-storms are not as severe and prolonged as what we have in our part of the country, you could turn off and just carry on after. Some of us have no choice and just work through the storm that could last for hours and hope for the best.

I personally have extremely curly hair, and don't relish the thought of even curlier hair, but being where I'm located, I may have to handle that trauma, LOL.

It depends on how close it is--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If it is right outside of my window, cracking, popping, shaking the house. I get off quick. My mom had told me a story of a transcriptionist at the time she was working who ended up deaf because of lightening travelling through her headset. This job is not worth that. The worst generally lasts around an hour here and I sign off during that time and get back on when I feel comfortable with it. Sometimes I make up the time and sometimes I just use my PTO to cover it.

Lightning strike on transformer cost me 2 computers. - Unstable (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
d

lightning strike - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Your homeowner's might cover this. Probably minus a deductible, but if it is replacement value that might work out. Don't forget the cost of the programs on the machines (or at least I would try for that) and any equipment that might need to be updated for compatibility? Also, make sure any peripherals that were hooked up still function, which will be difficult because you don't have anything working to test them with, so sort of try to keep the claim "open."
I was at Best Buy purchasing new computer with 24 - hours. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
There is a device for about 35 dollars that could have saved me. My connections were many years old, apparently the protector device only lasts 1 year. I replaced my Laptop with a trade in second hand. Total 1,000 or so, and I do not want to put it on insurance but it will be write off as I am IC. Power company was referred to as a place to file a claim but their web site had no information and the person I talked to did not have information about natural disasters.

My programs became unstable, especially my word expander. Fatal flaw must have occurred from the power surge.

Storms - Better to stop

[ In Reply To ..]
I hate to stop if I am in the middle of something. A couple of times I was trying to finish what I was working on and I did feel electric shocks in my fingers. That was enough to send me flying. There was a bad one last night that made me jump out of my chair.

Similar Messages:

Do You Work When There Is Thunder
Jul 28, 2010

Talk about great timing, I finally started getting work this afternoon, just as a typical summer thunderstorm hit. It sounded like it was centered about one block away. I shut down my computer for half hour. Do you work when there is lightning nearby? The lights weren't even flickering, but it was so close (lots of simultaneous flash-bangs) that I didn't want to take the chance. ...

Anyone Else Hear Thunder?
Jan 20, 2014

Did anyone else just get a huge thunderclap noise in their headphones?  There is no storm around here anywhere.  This happened to me only once before. ...

Thunder/Lightening Storm
Jun 08, 2012

What is this companies policy for working during a thunder/lightening storm? ...

May Have To Continue Being An MT
Jun 09, 2010

I really wanted to get out of the MT business, but I am having NO luck finding a job in another field, and now my marriage is breaking up and I have no financial security.  Is there ANY company out there worth working for anymore as an MT? ...

Way Above 98 And Told I Should Continue..
Jun 21, 2012

to strive for the 99%.  It did not matter I had 98.8. and there have been times I was over 99%  They are out of their freakin minds.  I wonder who in this world is perfect at their job. ...

The Answer Is NO. You Will Still Continue To
Oct 15, 2012

nm ...

NO Pay Increases, Continue On The Same,
Oct 15, 2012

nm ...

How Much Longer Will This Continue?
Jan 25, 2013

I'm told the low volumes are due to the time of the year. I just don't remember this happening in past years. My time sheet has 10-15 entries by the time of the day - this is nuts. Can't take no pay, can't use up all my PTO in a week. Seriously, what are we supposed to do? ...

The Beatings Will Continue
Apr 07, 2015

Get with the program! ...

To Continue My Vent About QA, Why Do They Feel They Have To
May 12, 2012

treat us rudely?  I get rudeness all the time from my QA.  I am about to tell them about it.  Look, I am trying.  I am not making mistakes to mess up your day!!! ...

Need Advice-Continue MT Or Quit
Jun 07, 2012

I've been an MT for over 20 years.  Have had my own clients in Rhematology for the past 12 years, been working at home for 15 years.  Clients have switched to point-and-click and VR except for one who is Lebanese and hates the point-and-click and can't do VR.  So, I started working for a great company doing ENT, but pay is 8 cents/line, quite the cut, but good dictators.  They might soon be going to VR.  I live in a small town and really don't want to work ...

I Just Can't Get Over These Stupid People. They Continue To
Jun 23, 2015

alienate the workers and the workers keep leaving.  The company could save a whole lot of $$ by eliminating the scheduler position as well as the crazy auditors!  Who thinks up this stuff. ...

ID Consult- Patient Will Continue Vancomycin And S/l Ree-pen-in
May 25, 2010

x ...

Eye Opener.....okay So I Was Thinking, I Could Either Continue To Work At MQ Or
Jul 21, 2011

or go get another job out of MT completely (not convinced any other company is much better).....I was thinking, well, what else am I qualified for?  I guess I could waitress (never done before though), but Ihop has an ad for a waitress, waitress exp. not nec.  I thought, argh, what can they possibly make, prob just minimum wage and lots of work and would I even be up to it?  Come to find out that waitresses at Ihop around here (California) make minimum wage (8/hr) plus tips.  ...

For Anyone That Works On EMRs Or Epic, Do You Still Continue
Aug 14, 2012

to work in your regular platform such as DQS or do you have to download an entirely new system to work in a hospital EMR.  My hospital is on DQS and going to EMR or Epic so I am not sure if that means all my short cuts etc are gone or we continue somehow to use both systems.  I doubt you can use short cuts in EMR but again I have no idea and I dont think you can move your short cuts out of DQS to another system and again I dont know.  Seems like I dont know much this morning at al ...

What Ways Can I Continue To Grow In Skills After Graduating?
Jul 13, 2010

Hello fellow MT's! I am almost finished with my MT course, and I would like some counsel from everyone on their experiences with continuing education after graduation. First I am going to go for my RMT as recommended by the ADHI. What tools and resources did you use that helped? Which ones do you recommend? Has anyone gotten a degree to enhance their knowledge, and if so, what degree? I have recently been discharged after 8 yrs in the Army and I have been studying in my ...

I Find It Baffling That An MTSO Would Continue To Send Out Sm
Mar 22, 2013

pleas for help on an account when she has not paid her employees. I cannot speak for everyone, but as for me, no pay equals no work. I realize it is not the client's fault as I am sure they paid their bill, so I do feel bad on that side, but on the other hand, only a fool keeps on working while someone dangles that carrot with the possibility they might be paid sometime. Ugh. ...

"Turnover Rates Continue To Rise. Wages Plummet."
Jun 06, 2013

Following an in-depth investigative report of how corporate profits soar at the mercy of the increasingly invisible labor force in this business, we could publish a cartoon depicting a wide-mouth funnel at the top with all the newly "acquired" MTs falling in, with the bottom of the funnel (the other opening) pouring out the newly unemployed. Churning around inside the murky vortex are the chronically underpaid sweatshop slave-wage fools.  Wonder if the creepy people responsible for this me ...

Drug Name - Anemia, Continue Foltx And S/l "Proveit"
Apr 16, 2010

Anemia, continue Foltx and s/l "Proveit" Pt with end stage renal disease, hypertension, diabetes, colon cancer, dyslipidemia, proteinuria, and anemia.  please help ...