A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Would any of you take a buyout from MQ if offered? - Anon

Posted: Jun 20, 2010

In past months I have read on this board, with dismay, so many posts about long-time MQ MTs/MEs failing consecutive audits, and eventually being discharged. I think it is a major coincidence that so many employees are suddenly and consistently failing to meet the same quality standards they always met. I think it’s a flimsy contrivance to get rid of the more highly paid employees and replace them with cheaper newbies while avoiding an age discrimination actions because those higher-paid people are usually of the age to file one.

I also think it must cost MQ a lot do to this, first putting an individual on 100% QA for a prolonged period, constant documentation to cover themselves, and then more red tape if the discharged employee files for UE (which they will of course dispute) or even an age discrimination lawsuit. Not to mention the prospect of a class action suit, if enough people are discharged under the same circumstances and some enterprising law firm sees the prospect of profit or publicity, which is bound to happen eventually as the statistics pile up.

Wouldn’t it make more sense for MQ to do as many other big firms do, and at least try offering a buyout to the more highly paid employees if they voluntarily terminate? I would think that offering us, say, a month’s pay per year of service (a pretty standard figure in an early retirement scenario) would be a powerful incentive for some, and would ultimately be more cost-effective for them. I even think their shareholders would approve of it as a one-time cost, as it would lead to eventual workforce savings.

Of course the catch would be that, even though we think we have 10, 15, 20, or 25 years of service, they only count us as MQ employees from the time in (?2005, can’t recall exactly) when we had to re-apply for our own jobs with the merged company. Still, if they offered it I would take four or five months full pay in a heartbeat, give myself a few months’ breathing room, and not constantly wonder when it will be my turn to face the firing squad.

What do the rest of you think? Would you take a buyout?

I certainly would.....sm - mb

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't really see it happening, though. Something to think about, though. On my last conference call with me CCM she mentioned that the suits do read the boards. Maybe if there are enough replies to the OP, it will give them something to think about!

in a heartbeat - I make over 9 cpl

[ In Reply To ..]
for regular transcription, but they took all my straight typing away from me and put me on 100% bad ASR and a myriad of unfamiliar accounts that I bounce around to and from. Coincidence? Not.

Would I take a MedQuist buyout? - Lindadi

[ In Reply To ..]
You better believe it -- In less than a heartbeats time.......

But that is not what they are doing.. - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
They aren't getting rid of the long-time transcriptionists to hire newbies. They are putting the extra pressure on, hoping you will quit or they will have enough dirt on you to fire you...and then they say, "Ooh, we don't have enough MTs in the US, so we HAVE to offshore!" So the newbies aren't getting your jobs. The Indians with CBay are. Trust me on this, I know.

I agree with the substance of your post, JustMe, but - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
MQ/Cbay's very well-established intent to offshore is NOT an issue here. It's
unfortunately a given, and has been for a long time. Their fiduciary duty to shareholders is producing work acceptable to clients as cheaply as possible. Whether domestic or offshore does not matter. They are now the 800-pound gorilla in this industry, and they call those shots. I am not sure
if we could change any of that even if we had union representation. Look at all the other major unionized industries
that have moved offshore without a whimper.

My point in my OP was that MQ does not have to be ADVERSARIAL about replacing the senior US workforce they consider too costly. Probably a good number of us would terminate voluntarily and peacefully if a good buyout package were offered. That would then shore up the job security of the more junior US MTs who are not ready to bail just now. And if eligibility for rehire were included, those of us took the buyout and had second thoughts down the road would be able to apply for future openings as new-hires, at whatever line rate would be in effect then.

You never know, disgruntled clients or future HIPAA rules someday might prohibit offshoring, so burning bridges doesn't make sense for employer or employee.

Just my #0.02.

But the thing is... - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi, Anon...First off, I abhor unions because they are worthless dinosaurs. I used to work for one, so I saw the inner workings and all the favoritism shown..and all the crookedness and cronyism..so you are right, attempting to form a union would just push the work offshore even faster.
My point was this: Why should they pay you to leave when they can keep you working like a dog while they finish their planned transfers of accounts to India? Sure, you could ask, "Well, if everyone quit at the same time, what would they do?" That won't happen. Not everyone is in a position to bail because at least they can eat...and, sadly, some even hang around in hopes that things get better. They won't get better.
They will continue to shift those who are left around to other accounts, continue to ride others so they will leave and they can go ahead and get more accounts switched over to India. They would love it if everyone would quit. Heck, they don't even want to pay anyone unemployment...so I don't see them agreeing to some kind of "buyout" situation. The way they see it, you don't have anything to "sell" them, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Similar Messages:

Buyout
Mar 30, 2012

A question for you previous buyout MTs.  How long is it usually when Nuance buys out a company and the official switchover is made before Nuance changes the platform?  ...

CBay Buyout Of MQ
Feb 18, 2011

Speaking of changes.  Ba-Ba-Big Ch-Ch-Changes are coming.  CBay is trying to buy 100% of MQ.  Check out article at: http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/news/news.asp?ticker=MEDQ:US Other articles of interest there also.  Basically reads: Management Led Buyout of MedQuist Causes Shareholder Claim Investigation by Goldfarb Branham Law Firm LLP DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 7, 2011-- Goldfarb Branham LLP is investigating whether the Board of Directors of Medqui ...

For Those Who Worked Through A Buyout
Jun 30, 2011

The hospital I work for went with an MTSO that doesn't offshore last year.  They were adamant about not using one that did.  After many months, they are still not on the MTSO's platform but now the MTSO has been bought out by a company that does offshore.  No one is getting any information regarding what is going on.  If the client you are working for did not want to go off shore and the MTSO they are using was bought out by one that does, did the cli ...

Webmedx Buyout
Jul 13, 2011

Thanks Webmedx for selling out and now keep us waiting for what seems a million years to hear about our job security, our pay, our PTO, our 401k, and on and on.  Just wish they thought this out first and kept us informed instead of their usual secrecy on the whole issue.  We were notifed right before the July 4 holiday, we would hear soon and well no news......I for one am not very productive as I am up and down popping ulcer remedies in my mouth wondering what is happening..... ...

Buyout Of My Company To MM
May 21, 2012

How will a hospital or clinic, who did not solicit MM for business, but were part of a buyout, work with MM? I don't understand? I doubt the clinics and hospitals will accept any electronic change from MM, they have their own and working fine. Is there something I am missing here? Usually folks solicit work from MM, but this is just the opposite, almost MM steppin' into the shoes of working with an acquired client who was not part of any negotiation, and may be resentful of even change ...

Webmedx Buyout,low Work
Nov 04, 2010

I do not believe there is a buyout, but maybe these facts can shed some light. Take a look at the com pg at the 3rd shift or which ever shift is working around 2 or 3 AM. Lots of work in lots of accounts, but almost all gone when the regular day shift comes on in the morning.  As I recall some time back Webmedx was hiring MTs for their so-called SWAT team and it was for those late night shifts. I believe the job was advertised as $19.00 per hour for outside (new hires) and as I recall for ...

How Are Things At Axolotl Since The Buyout? Nm
Nov 11, 2010

s ...

Axolotl - Anyone Know How This MTSO Is Doing Since The Buyout? (nm)
Jan 22, 2011

nm ...

Medquist Buyout Of ETransPlus
Oct 03, 2011

Okay, everybody breathe!  It will be okay.  They didn't close the doors so we still have jobs.  I know the posts are very negative about Medquist, but they have a lot of people working for them who stay working for them.  There must be something positive about medquist.  Does anyone have anything POSITIVE to say about Mediquist?   ...

MQ Strikes Innocent Again-buyout Of AT
Nov 01, 2011

The ugly squid has reared its head again!  MQ acquired Alltype as of 9/1/11 and then proceeded to ship every single AT account and ALL work to India. I know this for a fact.  Guess what, surprise surprise, we all got pink slips yesterday!!!!! Run for your life if you work for a company that gets bought out by MQ-the suits at MQ are unscrupulous and greedy!   ...

Transcend/MDI Buyout Dates?
Apr 06, 2015

Does anyone remember the date we officially switched from Transcend employees to Nuance?  If anyone was an original MDI employee, do you remember the date Transcend purchased MDI? ...

Interesting Article On Spheris Buyout.
Jun 01, 2010

Below is the link to article. http://business.nashvillepost.com/2010/03/15/spheris-seeks-approval-for-850k-bonus-plan/ ...

After Buyout, Which Company Name Do You List On Resume?
Mar 12, 2012

I was one of the DSG people who woke up one day to find that we were now M-Modal employees.  I declined the M-Modal offer, but was on the new payroll for just a couple of days....wouldn't have had a choice to be an M-Modal employee for at least that first day, even if I didn't want to be.   My question is, now that I'm applying for new jobs, how would you list your former employer's name on a resume/job app?  Instead of saying you worked at DSG for "X" number ...

Accentus- Info On Them Since Buyout By Nuance
Apr 30, 2013

Hi!  I am currently job hunting and am curious what anyone can tell me about their experiences in working for Accentus has been like since they were bought out in 2012 by Nuance.  I searched the archives and most of what I found about Accentus was from before the buyout, and may no longer be accurate information.  Thanks in advance! ...

My Company Merger/buyout Experience
Mar 08, 2014

I had an administrative role at my company before it was taken over by a big player. The following things happened. 1. The supervisors at my company were demoted to MTs unless they had a college degree and were willing to travel extensively. 2. The QA staff were kept but their pay changed from hourly to production with strict quotas. Almost immediately they had to QA terrible work from other countries. Every one of them quit before long because they made about half of what they previously made ...

Medquist Buyout Of Spheris-Health Insurance?
Feb 04, 2010

I am a current employee of Spheris and was wondering what kind of health insurance does Medquist offer? If you could give details that would be great. ...

What Was The Reason For The Transcend/Nuance Merge Or Buyout?
Mar 10, 2012

Are they saying its because of technology reasons? ...

Wow!! I Was Just Offered 2 Cpl To QA!!
Jan 20, 2010

Why dont they just start asking us to work for free!  At that rate I dont even think you make minimum wage!  This is obviously not even because of outsourcing.  I think what has happened is that a lot of work has gone overseas, but the remaining work that the transcription companies are getting is still paying a half-ways decent rate but they have taken a small cut to keep them.  Then they turn around and pay NOTHING to get it transcribed so the people running the companies a ...

Did Anyone Get Offered The Job For QTS?
Jul 13, 2012

Just wondering if anyone got the job offer from QTS? They sent me questions and answered my question and that was it. Thanks. ...

I Was Offered
Nov 08, 2014

Farewell Nuance.  My only regret is not taking this step sooner.  ...

Offered Job At Softscript
Jun 28, 2010

offered job at Softscript; anyone familiar with this company? ...

OT Was Offered Yesterday
May 18, 2010

x ...

Offered A Job By VMR-Transfer
May 18, 2010

I am one of the people who received a contract and was offered a job by VMR-Transfer, but when I called and emailed about hrs/lines/days required, my messages were never returned. I know there was a thread about this previously as many other people had the same problem. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually started working for them yet and if this really is a legitimate company. Thanks ...

Offered Job With Transtech
Jul 20, 2011

Is ANYone happy there? ...

Just Offered Position Of CCM
Oct 04, 2011

I'm certainly uncertain of taking such a position.  Is there anyone out there who has been/is a CCM and can tell me what it's like...pay, stress, pay, hours, pay, etc.  TIA ...

New Service Offered
May 21, 2012

psychiatrist at Wal-Mart for depression.   ...

Job Positions Offered
Jul 20, 2012

Which job position is more profitable MT/ME or Quality Analyst?  Does Quality Analyst ever run out of work?  Are both paid on production?  Pondering a position with M*Modal. I qualify for both positions is all I have been told thus far--have not really inquired further. ...

Proscript Or TTS? Been Offered Both.
Nov 08, 2013

x ...

Overtime Being Offered
Aug 12, 2014

There goes our weekend line count.  ...

Sheesh - First OT Offered And Now NJA - Anyone Else?
Sep 14, 2014

x ...