A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Work comp for nervous breakdown LOL? - MModal Livestock

Posted: Feb 25, 2015

I probably shouldn't even be complaining considering how bad most people have it at this company (and I spent 4 years waist deep in the existential horror of ever expanding BoBs and ASR so I know it can be so much worse), but sometimes the little stuff just drives me nuts.  The last three months have been a QA rollercoaster.  In December, I flunked my quality audit.  Oh my god, I put "were" instead of "was."  I can see how that's a critical error.  Hundreds of patients died, I have no doubt. What if I caused irreparable harm to human faith in the concept of time? 

So fine, not the first time I flunked.  So in January, I passed with a 99.95% and got a ton of praise. Which is ridiculous in and of itself because really who cares?  Quality at MModal is entirely random.  There's a million factors that go into it and only a few hundred have to do with skill or effort. 

Then this month I got a 99.75% with a note that while that's really good, I could still do better as there was in fact a non-critical error and 2 minor errors.  So, let me get this straight, I passed decently above the required limit and it's still not good enough?  Sadly, MModal's email doesn't have an emoticon for wanting to slap your supervisor in the face.  I love the movie Office Space and I immediately thought about the "minimum amount of flair" scene.  The worst part is my QA supervisor seems nice.  It's not like she meant to tick me off.  She just hit a very raw nerve and I'm sick of this company's policy of constant employee aggravation and fearmongering.  What do they want from us!? 

I got a 3rd anniversary card from my boss a few months back (technically 9th, but who's counting, not them apparently) and she thanked for me for being one of the few of her team she could trust to show up for work when scheduled.  There are emails all the time reminding people to come to work.  Not that I can blame those who simply wander off into the woods one day to live in the trees and hunt squirrels with sharpened sticks rather than keep doing this mind numbing crap, but it is a basic tenet of working. 

My supervisor sends out shaming stat lists showing how many people failed QA or failed their production quotas.  And while, again, it is random that I have better quality because I do have better accounts with doctors I love (well, 30% of the doctors are decent, but that's well-above the average), from her perspective quality, production and showing up are how she judges worthiness.  Well, according to her then, I'm doing a good job.  Do I get more money?  No.  Does it mean I don't have to put up with constant belittling and verbal abuse?  No. 

So why am I trying?  The sense of satisfaction in my job?  That ship sailed when they made it clear that the doctors have no responsibility to clean up their dictation.  We hold the patients delicate little lives in our hands and one missing comma will murder someone's loved one.  Doctors are perfect, blameless and pure as the fresh fallen snow. 

To summarize, back when I've been the one chronically squeaking by and feeling like I'm barely avoiding getting canned daily, I was treated like dirt.  When I'm doing well in every category they want, I'm treated like dirt.  They want me to write an essay for my performance action plan because my team's overall quality is failing.  They have no problem with me, but the principal is still making me stay after class to write on the black board what a naughty boy I've been.  I'm an adult and I have to right essays as a punishment.  I have real things to do. 

Here's my performance action plan:  Find a new job.  Any job.  I'm putting in my resume everywhere I am physically capable of working.  Minimum wage?  Bring it on.  I know that corporate America's policy is to keep their boot on the worker's throat at all times, but is it so much to ask that your company just get out of your way and let you work?  Our work makes more money for them than it does for us, so why all the nitpicking?  Someone comes up to me and says "Hey, I'll give you money if you just leave me alone 8 hours a day," and my response isn't going to be "It's a dealbreaker if I can't also crush your sense of self-worth and self-respect while you do it."

And just because they saw for a little while there that I was happy and they feared it was possible I would stop hating my job again, I'm being trained on a new platform with new accounts.  Yay.  Well, at least I got to see what good quality audits looked like. 

Phew... got that out... maybe now I can get to work without throwing my foot pedal out a window... :)

Oh, and a shout out to Mom2Huskies!  I saw your post about MPerks and you are so right LOL!  Nordstroms... yeah... that'll come in handy.  I'm holding out for MPerk deals on antidepressants, a timing belt for a 2003 Buick, resume paper, and gift cards for the dollar store. 

Admittedly, 4 years ago I got a coupon for the Cracker Barrel.  I'm only 1100 miles away from a Cracker Barrel and I have Crohn's so the food would probably finish me off LOL, but it's the thought that counts.  Oh wait, it was a stupid thought too...

Where have you been? - We have missed you!

[ In Reply To ..]

I think I can safely speak for a few others...

Thank you and thanks to everyone else! - MModal Livestock

[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone's encouragement about writing really means a lot. Writing has been my dream since I was a little kid and it's something I'm always working on, even when there's no audience. Unfortunately, the last couple years have been such a bizarre and busy time of my life that I'm never quite able to get into full on writing mode. You know when MModal is the least of your worries you're under a lot of stress LOL.

So thanks again everybody. Not that making fun of this company isn't reward in of itself;)

Quote of the week from work (okay, technically two weeks running)
Male doctor: "I told the patient she can call me any time she desires a pregnancy... uh... [brief silence] correction, she can call the clinic any time to discuss getting pregnant." Please tell me that verbatim on this account means exactly as spoken!

Maybe you should start your own blog - you are funny!

[ In Reply To ..]
This post is hilarious and very well written, thank you for providing a laugh for us, I am sure we all need a dose or 10! Maybe you could start your own website, and post about the blunders of being an MT with your comedic spin.

Oh, heck yeah! - MModalLivestock blog

[ In Reply To ..]
I would totally support that! I still remember the "essay" you did when we got "rebranded" about how the Fluency logo looks like toxic waste and how you would throw your shoe away if you stepped in it.

I loved your post. - mom2huskies

[ In Reply To ..]
You should write something about how raises are as rare as hen's teeth, only if you are an MT.

I did some blogging a while back - MModal Livestock

[ In Reply To ..]
Ostensibly, my blog was political satire based on my Politics board alter ego, but it was as much a public diary as anything. Issues I was dealing with, things that ticked me off that week in the news (99.9% of news), etc.

I stopped posting both on the boards and my blog because I fell deliriously in love and she was all I thought about. Then I was distracted by the heartrending breakup. Then the amazing reunion. Then another terrible breakup. It kept going from there. You know what they say, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me five times, and honestly I stopped respecting myself two breakups ago."

I've always felt that the best thing to do with stress is change it to comedy. Even the problems that seem so big they seem insurmountable, once you can laugh at them, they don't seem so bad and you can push your way out of it.

Thank you for the vote of confidence! I may just get back on the horse. Or a horse at least. The irony of that metaphor is that when I was 8 I fell off a horse and I'm still terrified of them. Or maybe it was a pony. It was definitely a large quadruped that clearly had murderous intent.

I am glad you are back - mom2huskies

[ In Reply To ..]
I loved your post. Also I find it ironic that I have a Cracker Barrel practically in my backyard but they never have posted any deals. I can so relate to the timing belt, LOL.

I would have sent it to you - MModal Livestock

[ In Reply To ..]
I ended up throwing it in the trash since I couldn't find anyone who wanted it.

Yeah, honestly those MPerk car deals are just a slap in the face LOL. Every time I see the email it reminds me I can't afford the cars they're offering and my own is slowly wearing down.

I told a friend about the perks and they said it would be like Wal-mart taunting its workers with discounts on yachts and helicopters.

You need to explore a future in writing - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I live for the day they ask me for an essay on anything. My first question is will you pay me for my time? and the second will be are you absolutely sure you want my opinion because I have been told I am very to the point? Im job hunting as well..

seriously - excellent

[ In Reply To ..]
best.post.ever. kudos. get a job writing. you are good at it.

Love it. Especially the flair reference.... - Krabby Kathy

[ In Reply To ..]
Write! Write! write!

Loved the Cracker Barrel Remark! - Christine

[ In Reply To ..]
Now tell us how you REALLY feel! LOL! Great post!

Yes, you should write - A transcriptionist

[ In Reply To ..]
OR do stand-up comedy! Seriously! Think about it!

Good to see you back MML - but

[ In Reply To ..]
sad to see you are still stuck in the hellish world of MT, especially MM. I thought maybe you had taken your writing skills and moved on (either that or gone hopelessly insane LOL). Hang in there and keep making us laugh, lord knows we all need it!

Too funny! - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
Great post!! You speak for everyone. Your post reminds me of the hilarious Erma Bombeck's columns.

Meant this to go under original post. - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
Haven't posted on here for a while.

Similar Messages:

Worker's Comp Versus Workers Comp Nm
Mar 03, 2010

nm ...

LM - Communication Breakdown?
Mar 01, 2012

Anyone else who works for LM in PA have problems with lack of communication between yourself and QA/supervisors?  So frustrating! ...

Okay So I Definitely Know Today Is My Day For Breakdown And Ultimate Firing
Apr 06, 2010

This is my end.  I have received back to back ESL horrible doctors that slowing down only obliterate more.   They absolutely know NOTHING in how to pronounce the simplest drug names, and have butchered it beyond control.  All from the same hospital from the south.  Now oncology notes and are whizzing past the difficult chemo meds so fast it is virtually impossible for ANYONE even Indians to decipher this garbage.  This on top of a major error MQ has made concerning ...

Nervous
Mar 02, 2012

waiting for my phone interview to begin....sorta nervous! ...

NEWBIE GETTING NERVOUS
Aug 29, 2010

I'm new to the profession and new to the boards. I am here just trying to get a feel for the real world in transcription. I have to say the few things I have read on here so far are making me very nervous. I am just finishing my course within the next month or two through Penn Foster so the search for a job is in my near future... These are a few things I am curious about:  Is the MT job market really that bad? What advice can you give me as a new MT? Have any of you MT's out ...

Interviewing Soon And Nervous
Oct 01, 2010

I have an interview coming up and I am a little nervous.  I have not had an interview in years and I don't know what to expect.  The last two times I had interviews with an MTSO, they did not really interview me but instead just told me about the account and wanted to know what shift I wanted to work. For those of you who have been interviewing recently, what was it like?  What questions can I be expected to answer.  Thanks. ...

Nervous Transition
Oct 21, 2011

I have come into transciption within the past four years. This is something I have always wanted to do and finally found a way to get into the field. There does not seem to be alot of money in straight typing, and less in VR. I have always made incentive, but still - its just not enough and I work very hard to get that. Right now, I work for a company with straight typing only, no VR. I am taking a position with a company that has VR and it sounds to me like the position is pre ...

Soon To Be A Nuancer And Am Nervous
Nov 27, 2012

I'm getting ready to have software installed on my computer this week and am having second thoughts after reading the posts on this board.  I'm really upset about the off-shoring that Nuance does and was naive when I applied (I should've checked on the boards first).  I'm not sure if I should back out or give it a try.  The account I'm assigned to supposedly is a new clinic account so everything is up in the air - it'll be straight typing and then mov ...

MT Transitioning Out And Nervous
Jan 25, 2014

Seeking advice from other MTs who are currently in school for another field or have already transitioned out of MT. One semester to go and I will hopefully be prepared to enter a career field that has nothing to do with MT. Problem is, I find myself worrying about working outside the home. I've been an at-home MT for almost 12 years. I have found a new enjoyment being around people in my classes and activities, but I'm so used to the home environment as my workplace. I am ge ...

Webbers, The New Changes Are Making Me Nervous.
Apr 08, 2011

I hate this paranoid feeling like I'm baggage and not part of the team anymore.  Do you think they'll improve communication and it will feel like the old, happy Webmedx again? ...

New Hire - Nervous - What Would It Take For Them To Fire Me?
May 04, 2012

. ...

Applying To SoftScript But Nervous
Nov 12, 2012

Well, I am going to go ahead and apply to SoftScript and I must say I am nervous hearing the negatives about the work, but at the same time if I don't get out of Nuance I will pull my hair out soon. At least I have read a few positives about SoftScript. I have read NO POSITIVES about Nuance. I came in as part of a buyout several years ago and it is scary to think I might be leaving one bad to another bad, but at the same time I think Nuance is trying to push some of us out anyway and I have ...

I Am Already A Nervous Wreck Today
Mar 18, 2014

I know every time the phone rings or I get an Ipswitch email i'm going to have a tiny heart attack lol   The news probably won't come until tomorrow but it's the waiting to determine my whole future that's got me on edge! ...

Amphion, Anything Good Or Bad. I'm Nervous.
Oct 14, 2014

Anyone out there have any experience with Amphion?  Good and bad comments are requested.  I'm nervous about them. ...

Nervous Waiting On Tests Results For A Job
Jun 27, 2013

I'm worried I didn't pass it. I pored over it with a fine-tooth comb many times, so if it's meant to be, it will be, and if not, it won't. I am really broke though, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I passed it. Can anyone else relate? ...

I Have A Job Interview Tomorrow At A Hospital And I'm So Nervous
Sep 24, 2014

I have a job interview at a huge hospital tomorrow for a medical records analyst.  I'm very excited that I even got a call for an interview, but I'm also scared beyond words.  I haven't had a face-to-face interview in 12 years and I've become such a hermit that I'm scared to death of going for an interview, driving there, answering questions, etc.  I went back to school, just finished and got my degree, applied for this job and now I have an interview so i ...

I Am Enrolling In The Andrew's School Next Week And Am Getting Nervous
Jan 24, 2011

Hi. My name is Suzanne and I am enrolling in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding next week, on Tuesday February 1, 2001 and am getting nervous. I am a medical transcriptionist and I want to know if any thing I have done in the last 10 years, such as medical terminology and anatomy, will help me. Of course I will take that part of the course, but I want to know if that will help. Also, I am most nervous about deciphering the codes. I guess what I am asking is how do I know I will be a goo ...

Anyone Happy At Precyse? Just Started, Kind Of Nervous About Their Platform. NM
Sep 12, 2014

xxxxx ...

I Am Putting In My Paperwork For The Andrew's School For Medical Coding And I Am Nervous
Oct 01, 2013

Hi Friends: My name is Suzanne and I am sending in my paperwork to enroll in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding and I am nervous.  I am nervous because I do know I can do it, but what about my age of 57.  I am too old for studying for this field?  I am a medical transcriptionist and have been for 12 years and I am a fast thinker and learner and I know I can do it, but what about the Affordable Care Act and the jobs being outsourced like medical transcription. Can you ...

I Get So Tired Of Waiting On Work. It Actually Makes Me Nervous Sitting By This Computer
Jun 05, 2014

waiting on reports.  Not sure how to handle this.  I am looking for other work but no luck so far.  Do others find this mentally stressful babysitting your computer. ...

MQ And Worker's Comp
May 19, 2010

Has anyone here had to get Worker's Comp while working for MQ? If so, what is the process? I have looked on MQ Central and can't find anything about it. I'm in severe pain and was told it was a direct result of my job.    TIA ...

Workers Comp
Apr 21, 2011

Anyone know how to write an appeal letter?  I was denied by the judge, even though my doctor said I have wrist and hand tendinitis due to typing for 16 years.  Wow, i'm devastated, not only am I hurting, but financially a wreck.  Anyway, I am writing an appeal to the board and have no money to visit a lawyer, wondering what goes in an appeal letter.  Any help greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

Call About Pay Comp...sm
Oct 15, 2014

There apparently will be a call next week going over the new compensation plan. Hopefully there really is one and it explains a lot better than the email. Doubt it will give actual numbers but I will post anything I find out on here in case noone else has a call. hope they can explain better. we'll see. ...

New Comp Plan
Dec 04, 2014

I always considered myself an average transcriptionist.  On my platform I average about 150 LPH and very rarely do I go over 10% to QC and QA is usually in the 99.5% range.  Based on my last weeks information and using their charts, I will be getting about 2+ cpl more than I have in the past year on my straight production.  I guess I may be way luckier than the people posting here.  Maybe I am a better transcriptionist than I thought I was?  I figure if I only have 1 cra ...

CA MT WORK COMP QUESTION
Aug 17, 2011

Thanks in advance.  Has any California Medquist MT ever had carpal tunnel diagnosis and had the insurance company ask you to give them more information about the "nature" of your injury, as in they want an explanation if I think it is work injury, car accident, or other?  I hate to lie, but it is pretty obvious I have it from typing.  Also, if I said it is from work, they refuse to pay the neurologist who gave diagnosis.  I pay into Worker's Comp in California, it is ded ...

Workmans Comp Insurance Necessary?
Jan 05, 2012

So I am about to take on a second IC job in a few days.   Was just about to sign the contract agreement and as I was reading through it, I noticed that while it didn't expressly say I HAD to purchase workman's comp insurance, it did say that I was responsible for workmans comp. Is this something anyone is familiar with?  Is it really necessary for me to purchase on my own if this is a part-time IC job and the company has a secure server with upload/download capabil ...

Has Anyone Ever Filed A Workers Comp
Apr 26, 2012

I was just looking through the Human Resources page and can't find anything about WC. Just curious if anyone has filed for it and any clue on who to talk to about it? TIA ...

Ever Filed A Workers Comp?
Aug 07, 2012

I have carpal tunnel. Is it possible to file a WC case at MModal for this? Who would I speak to in Human Resources.  Spent a bit of time looking at MQCentral (or whatever it's called) and got dizzy, but couldn't find an answer. TIA ...

Ideas For New Comp Plan
Aug 15, 2012

Since it is obvious the new comp plan isn't done maybe we could give them help and point in the right direction.  I would love to hear what everyone thinks, good or bad.  Would you rather get paid hourly or by the line? How about a shift differential for the weekend? What about extra money per report for those accounts with multiple carbon copies and tedious demographic screens? Some companies consider FT and offer benefits at 32 hours, would that be something anyone would be ...

Workers Comp Transcription
Sep 07, 2012

Does anyone do worker's compensation transcription?  Do you like it?  What are the main things you type?  Thanks. ...