A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

NEWBIE GETTING NERVOUS - Hlengelsman

Posted: Aug 29, 2010

I'm new to the profession and new to the boards. I am here just trying to get a feel for the real world in transcription. I have to say the few things I have read on here so far are making me very nervous. I am just finishing my course within the next month or two through Penn Foster so the search for a job is in my near future...

These are a few things I am curious about: 

Is the MT job market really that bad?

What advice can you give me as a new MT?

Have any of you MT's out there gone straight from studies to doing transcription from home or have you all had to work in some type of medical office first?  

newbie - Pat46

[ In Reply To ..]
My suggestion to anyone starting out in transcription is to get a job in a clinic or hospital first before you try doing it from home. I know I could not have done home transcription fresh out of college. I got a clinic job at Carle Clinic in Urbana, Illinois. I am now working at Graham Hospital here in Canton where I live FROM HOME. More and more hospitals are sending their transcriptionists home. We have just added VR and our pay didn't get cut like it does with the big companies. No one ever explained to me why that is. Just because you are faster doesn't mean that we don't have to have the medical terminology, anatomy, etc. In fact you will probably use those more doing VR than typing as the machine can put in some of the darndest things...sometimes not even related to the report.

Good luck. I hope you find a job. I have been in transcription for the last 25 years and have found it a very enjoyable career. I always said that even if I didn't use by degree it was something no one can take away from me and when my kids were sick and I had to take them to the doctor I know what he was talking about.

Thank you - Hlengelsman

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the encouraging message I suppose I have no choice but to try to get a job in a hospital first. Its something I really didn't want to do, I am just very squeamish when it comes to hospitals. But it would be good for me to get a well rounded perspective on transcription. hmmm decisions decisions....

Often hospital and clinic transcription departments arent - even in the same part of town, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
let alone in the actual hospital building. They're usually so pressed for space, that the space for inhouse transcription got used for exam rooms, waiting rooms, or x-ray or MRI rooms, etc., and the MTs were moved to a building they rent offsite. Often hospitals and clinics have their medical records, MT, HR, and other clerical functions offsite. So, you're not very likely to run across anything that would make you squeamish.

I enjoyed the old days, when MT depts. were inside the hospital. Often the doctors would stop by to ask a question, or answer one, or to bring us treats! I miss those days!
LOL TREATS!!! - Hlengelsman
[ In Reply To ..]
LOL you cracked me up with the treats thing... but in all seriousness thats great news. I wonder if the hospitals around here have their transcription team in a separate building that would be wonderful. LOL o well I guess it really depends on how much I want this to work and I REALLY WANT THIS!!
Medical records - mt2long
[ In Reply To ..]
offices are not usually on the hospital wards, they're tucked away, so the likelihood of you being squeamish is odd thought! LOL!

I also recommend an on-site position. You don't know what you don't know until you need to know it and don't.

Doing this job just because it can be done at home is NOT a good idea (and you didn't say that, it's just an opinion I have.)

Good luck!
newbie/job hunt - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck on a job search. If they are out there, I can't find them. I have over 15 years experience working from home and have been searching for the past 4 months, but would suggest as everyone else that you try a hospital/clinic first as a newbie. Might have a better chance. Good luck
Finding an on-site job,,, - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You may not have the choice between an on-site or at-home position. Most hospitals outsource their transcription to the large MTSOs. Acute care hospital transcription done by hospital empolyees on-site, or even in an office away from the facility is very, very rare.

In addition, most of the clinic transcription is done by the physicians themselves, using EHR templates (point and click) or front-end SR (they edit themselves or just leave it misktakes and all).

A 60% to 70% reduction in line rate for SR is the standard compensation. It's only be a matter of time before that happens to anyone making their straight transcription line rate for SR. It is not cost-effective for the hospital administration or MTSO to pay hte straight transcription line rate for SR, especially when that is certainly not the industry-wide norm.

That being said, if you test for and are hired by an MTSO where you are home-based, and if you are persistant and willing to learn you will succeed. I did, straight out of school and am happily making a good yearly salary, working full time, after over 5 years with the same MTSO. For me nothing beats working from home. Best of luck.
On-site jobs - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been an MT for over 30 years and have always worked on-site with the exception of a couple of short periods of time at home, I've done hospital and clinic jobs. MT offices are traditionally in the basement or somewhere else away from patient care areas, I currently work at an office off site combined with a couple of other departments who share space with us. If you're squeamish and that is what is holding you back from working on-site, please don't let it. As others have said, for your first job it is the best way to learn the ropes. Unfortunately, on-site jobs ARE difficult to find but they are out there. I also agree with the person who said that if your main motivation to do this job is to work at home, you are doing it for the wrong reason. Being able to work at home is a perk, but there is certainly a downside as well. Whatever you decide, good luck and best wishes.

Hlengelsman - OldPro

[ In Reply To ..]
My advice would be to get additional education to supplement your course at Penn Foster. Try Andrews and M-TEC, which are more acceptable to employers.

nervous newbie - Viva

[ In Reply To ..]
I also suggest additional keywords for job searches: transcriptionist, transcriber, editor, proofreader, data entry, medical records, medical clerk, health editor, medical editor.
I am a total newbie and have already had 4 interviews--two by phone and one in person. Jobs are out there but you have to scour the internet to find them and don't limit yourself to just one keyword or phrase. Also go for general or media transcription, not just medical.

Thank you for all your replies! - Hlengelsman

[ In Reply To ..]
I really appreciate all the replies you all have good info!

I assure you I didn't get into the field only to work from home. I have always wanted to work in a medical field of some sort but because of my squeamish nature I was afraid, so medical transcription seemed like a good fit. And I admit that yes the fact that you can do it from home has been on the forefront of my mind since I started training but if I need to work in a hospital first I will... I can't wait to start looking for work! I have a full time job that I am content in currently so I won't be as desperate as most so we'll see what happens...

Similar Messages:

Nervous
Mar 02, 2012

waiting for my phone interview to begin....sorta nervous! ...

Interviewing Soon And Nervous
Oct 01, 2010

I have an interview coming up and I am a little nervous.  I have not had an interview in years and I don't know what to expect.  The last two times I had interviews with an MTSO, they did not really interview me but instead just told me about the account and wanted to know what shift I wanted to work. For those of you who have been interviewing recently, what was it like?  What questions can I be expected to answer.  Thanks. ...

Nervous Transition
Oct 21, 2011

I have come into transciption within the past four years. This is something I have always wanted to do and finally found a way to get into the field. There does not seem to be alot of money in straight typing, and less in VR. I have always made incentive, but still - its just not enough and I work very hard to get that. Right now, I work for a company with straight typing only, no VR. I am taking a position with a company that has VR and it sounds to me like the position is pre ...

Soon To Be A Nuancer And Am Nervous
Nov 27, 2012

I'm getting ready to have software installed on my computer this week and am having second thoughts after reading the posts on this board.  I'm really upset about the off-shoring that Nuance does and was naive when I applied (I should've checked on the boards first).  I'm not sure if I should back out or give it a try.  The account I'm assigned to supposedly is a new clinic account so everything is up in the air - it'll be straight typing and then mov ...

MT Transitioning Out And Nervous
Jan 25, 2014

Seeking advice from other MTs who are currently in school for another field or have already transitioned out of MT. One semester to go and I will hopefully be prepared to enter a career field that has nothing to do with MT. Problem is, I find myself worrying about working outside the home. I've been an at-home MT for almost 12 years. I have found a new enjoyment being around people in my classes and activities, but I'm so used to the home environment as my workplace. I am ge ...

Webbers, The New Changes Are Making Me Nervous.
Apr 08, 2011

I hate this paranoid feeling like I'm baggage and not part of the team anymore.  Do you think they'll improve communication and it will feel like the old, happy Webmedx again? ...

New Hire - Nervous - What Would It Take For Them To Fire Me?
May 04, 2012

. ...

Applying To SoftScript But Nervous
Nov 12, 2012

Well, I am going to go ahead and apply to SoftScript and I must say I am nervous hearing the negatives about the work, but at the same time if I don't get out of Nuance I will pull my hair out soon. At least I have read a few positives about SoftScript. I have read NO POSITIVES about Nuance. I came in as part of a buyout several years ago and it is scary to think I might be leaving one bad to another bad, but at the same time I think Nuance is trying to push some of us out anyway and I have ...

I Am Already A Nervous Wreck Today
Mar 18, 2014

I know every time the phone rings or I get an Ipswitch email i'm going to have a tiny heart attack lol   The news probably won't come until tomorrow but it's the waiting to determine my whole future that's got me on edge! ...

Amphion, Anything Good Or Bad. I'm Nervous.
Oct 14, 2014

Anyone out there have any experience with Amphion?  Good and bad comments are requested.  I'm nervous about them. ...

Nervous Waiting On Tests Results For A Job
Jun 27, 2013

I'm worried I didn't pass it. I pored over it with a fine-tooth comb many times, so if it's meant to be, it will be, and if not, it won't. I am really broke though, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I passed it. Can anyone else relate? ...

I Have A Job Interview Tomorrow At A Hospital And I'm So Nervous
Sep 24, 2014

I have a job interview at a huge hospital tomorrow for a medical records analyst.  I'm very excited that I even got a call for an interview, but I'm also scared beyond words.  I haven't had a face-to-face interview in 12 years and I've become such a hermit that I'm scared to death of going for an interview, driving there, answering questions, etc.  I went back to school, just finished and got my degree, applied for this job and now I have an interview so i ...

Work Comp For Nervous Breakdown LOL?
Feb 25, 2015

I probably shouldn't even be complaining considering how bad most people have it at this company (and I spent 4 years waist deep in the existential horror of ever expanding BoBs and ASR so I know it can be so much worse), but sometimes the little stuff just drives me nuts.  The last three months have been a QA rollercoaster.  In December, I flunked my quality audit.  Oh my god, I put "were" instead of "was."  I can see how that's a critical error.  Hundreds of ...

I Am Enrolling In The Andrew's School Next Week And Am Getting Nervous
Jan 24, 2011

Hi. My name is Suzanne and I am enrolling in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding next week, on Tuesday February 1, 2001 and am getting nervous. I am a medical transcriptionist and I want to know if any thing I have done in the last 10 years, such as medical terminology and anatomy, will help me. Of course I will take that part of the course, but I want to know if that will help. Also, I am most nervous about deciphering the codes. I guess what I am asking is how do I know I will be a goo ...

Anyone Happy At Precyse? Just Started, Kind Of Nervous About Their Platform. NM
Sep 12, 2014

xxxxx ...

I Am Putting In My Paperwork For The Andrew's School For Medical Coding And I Am Nervous
Oct 01, 2013

Hi Friends: My name is Suzanne and I am sending in my paperwork to enroll in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding and I am nervous.  I am nervous because I do know I can do it, but what about my age of 57.  I am too old for studying for this field?  I am a medical transcriptionist and have been for 12 years and I am a fast thinker and learner and I know I can do it, but what about the Affordable Care Act and the jobs being outsourced like medical transcription. Can you ...

I Get So Tired Of Waiting On Work. It Actually Makes Me Nervous Sitting By This Computer
Jun 05, 2014

waiting on reports.  Not sure how to handle this.  I am looking for other work but no luck so far.  Do others find this mentally stressful babysitting your computer. ...